• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because if this type of stalled-out match becomes commonplace, it will impact far, far more tournaments than Eggs ever did.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I didn't understand the underlying problem.

kirblar

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I didn't understand the underlying problem.
I think there needs to be time for the meta to adjust with sideboarding for that matchup before it starts getting ban talk.

There is not adjustment time for the Meta. FRF standard is over. Hence, you don't seem to understand the bind that puts WotC in given the massive gap between DTK releasing and Origins. If this situation becomes commonplace, it is going to be a disaster for the game.
why not just ban nykthos? mastery isn't really an issue unless you have near infinite mana.
The mana dump is really the problem though. Even without Nytkhos the games get dumb fast.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

There is not adjustment time for the Meta. FRF standard is over. Hence, you don't seem to understand the bind that puts WotC in given the massive gap between DTK releasing and Origins. If this situation becomes commonplace, it is going to be a disaster for the game.
What does DTK launching have to do with anything whatsoever?

The "ban announcement day" is just something WOTC made up. If standard is actually broken, they'll ban something whenever they feel like it.

kirblar

What does DTK launching have to do with anything whatsoever?

The "ban announcement day" is just something WOTC made up. If standard is actually broken, they'll ban something whenever they feel like it.
They don't do emergency bans anymore. They moved the ban date announcement to coincide with set rotations to stop the bans from coming in at super-arbitrary dates in the middle of a format.

Angry Grimace

They don't do emergency bans anymore. They moved the ban date announcement to coincide with set rotations to stop the bans from coming in at super-arbitrary dates in the middle of a format.

Actually, I assure you they do if they need to. Formats just never actually break.

If you actually believe that in the doomsday scenario you're describing they would just let it go because "well its not ban day," I don't know what to tell you.

kirblar

Actually, I assure you they do if they need to. Formats just never actually break.

If you actually believe that in the doomsday scenario you're describing they would just let it go because "well its not ban day," I don't know what to tell you.
There has been one emergency ban in MTG's history.

Angry Grimace

There has been one emergency ban in MTG's history.

That doesn't mean anything. Its not the United States Supreme Court. If they NEED to ban a card, they aren't waiting until arbitrary ban day. They aren't going to ban the card before any tournaments other than the one tournament it ruined occur. Its just too quick a trigger-finger.

I mean, its a dumb, awful deck that will ruin standard if no one finds a solution to it - you can tell Patrick is barely contain his hatred for it on camera.

Greatest Finals in Grand Prix history.

I really hope this goes to three games.

Mastery of the Unseen is getting banned so hard.

EDIT: Huge LOL @ Corey attacking before scooping.

Angry Grimace

I guess you just have to bring Perilous Vault to every FNM

Big One

Banned
I've been out of the Magic loop for a couple of months. What's going on with Master of the Unseen that's causing all of these long ass games? I remember really liking the card, but what exactly is the combo that causes this?

kirblar

I've been out of the Magic loop for a couple of months. What's going on with Master of the Unseen that's causing all of these long ass games? I remember really liking the card, but what exactly is the combo that causes this?
The problem is that the lifegain effect on the card scales- you get half a congregate (1 life for every critter you control) when you flip up a creature, making it impossible for the opponent to actually kill you with damage. In the G/W mirror match, both players are doing it.

It's Rhys EDH decks in Standard.

Big One

Banned
The problem is that the lifegain effect on the card scales- you get half a congregate (1 life for every critter you control) when you flip up a creature, making it impossible for the opponent to actually kill you with damage. In the G/W mirror match, both players are doing it.

Oh I see that now. So basically you get all of these Manifests and you flip them up to lifegain.

That's pretty broken. Fuck it. ban it.

Angry Grimace

And you can just put two of them down to get double life, etc. Stapling some random second ability onto cards has been a real problem recently.

Toxi

Banned
Archfiend of Depravity seems like a pretty fine solution. Whisperwood can't keep the manifests coming forever.

EDIT: Forgot about that asshole hydra. NVM

Angry Grimace

That stupid twitch face is annoying every single time

Crocodile

*Has been out all day and hasn't seen any of the GP*

*Wonders why people are so angry at Mastery of the Unseen*

*Tunes into GP stream. Sees board position. Sees almost 80 minutes on the clock and its only Game 2*

O_O

I guess it's not surprising that the "White Pack Rat" is as awful for non-Cube formats as regular Pack Rat was.

*Tunes into GP stream. Sees board position. Sees almost 80 minutes on the clock and its only Game 2*

O_O

I guess it's not surprising that the "White Pack Rat" is as awful for non-Cube formats as regular Pack Rat was.
It's not pack rat. It's infinite Sphinx's Revelation.

Toxi

Banned

O_O

Yw8nOzS.jpg

bigkrev

What is this gonna do to it's price? I wanted it for a janky deck I was gonna build. God damn it

It will spike it for a few weeks, but either the card is going to get banned, or the format fixes itself (Perilous Vault!) and the deck becomes bad, and the price will drop again.

Firemind

This is why G/W is my least favourite colour combination. Can't interact with the board, board gets cluttered, pass turns with a million creatures in play.

Crocodile

At some point, an alpha swing has to be lethal right? I mean Dan has to have more than 25 damage of the board. Though to be fair I can barely make out what is actually on the board anymore :/

Infect confirmed returning mechanic in Magic Origins :p

Also Phyrexian Eldrazi with Infect in Battle of Zendikar

#Kappa

kirblar

At some point, an alpha swing has to be lethal right? I mean Dan has to have more than 25 damage of the board. Though to be fair I can barely make out what is actually on the board anymore :/

#Kappa
Oddly enough, Infect has been moved to the "might come back maybe" list after they realized any 2cc or less Infect Creature is basically too good. (similar to Hexproof.)

Angry Grimace

What is this gonna do to it's price? I wanted it for a janky deck I was gonna build. God damn it

Whisperwood Elemental is already expensive and gonna get worse. Mastery? I don't know, but its selling out at its former $1.50 price tag and is already like 4-5.

#Kappa

crocodile plz

You can't even have a mirror breaker in your sideboard because the match will go to time before it's relevant. Literally the only time mirror breakers matter is in the top 8, unless you're maindecking them.

I can't wait for this weeks CEDTalks.

bigkrev

#Kappa

There is an unknown amount of life that can be gained with the half dozen or so Manifests in play

Angry Grimace

I guess they're still playing to let WOTC know what's gonna be on the watchlist for bannign

kirblar

I picked up Masteries at .50. I should probably start heads-uping the thread about my grabs again.

(I have no earthly idea what's actually good in DTK, other than "Narset is overvalued by at least 2/3ds")

Angry Grimace

I picked up Masteries at .50. I should probably start heads-uping the thread about my grabs again.

I already had like 6 from a box + drafting. I think I may have even thrown a few away when housecleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom