• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

One thing about DTK though- you can tell that they're willing to push the power level in the set much higher due to the shorter rotation. Every set feels like an Erik Lauer set (in terms of power level) and that's a good thing.
What's the Opposite of a Ronda Rousey? A Tim Sylvia?

That's what this match was
It's a Manny Gamuryen. Where you need a freak accident to get a good result instead of a lay n pray.

Toxi

Banned
its-done-640.gif

OnPoint

I picked up Masteries at .50. I should probably start heads-uping the thread about my grabs again.

(I have no earthly idea what's actually good in DTK, other than "Narset is overvalued by at least 2/3ds")
You should. I slept on buying them for fun and will now be punished. Dumb by me.

y2dvd

I would think you need to destroy Nyxthos and of course, Master of the Unseen. Sideboard the following land destruction:

Demolish
Desecration Plague

and then just have more enchantment hate.

Wichu

Just over a month ago I decided to build a G/W manifest deck. With a few tweaks, I'm glad to have somehow ended up with a T1 competitive deck :p

Also here's what I paid for my Whisperwoods and Masteries:

NAdCJCm.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155131498]Or just do what I've been telling people to do all along: RG Devotion with Bearer of the Heavens.

Nobody beats Karn ultimate.[/QUOTE]

Splash white for gift of immortality for lulz

bigkrev

I would think you need to destroy Nyxthos and of course, Master of the Unseen. Sideboard the following land destruction:

Demolish
Desecration Plague

and then just have more enchantment hate.

4 mana Stone Rain has never been and never will be playable

kirblar

Having a hard life cap is a rules change that might not be a bad thing to have in general.

I should save it for GDS3's Q/A, actually.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One thing about DTK though- you can tell that they're willing to push the power level in the set much higher due to the shorter rotation. Every set feels like an Erik Lauer set (in terms of power level) and that's a good thing.

Can you clarify what you mean here? DTK doesn't seem terribly powerful to me. It just looks like Overcosted Fatties: the Set.

bigkrev

No seriously, guys. Convince me I'm wrong. They have to ban Mastery, right? At the very least, they're having an emergency meeting tomorrow to discuss it.

There isn't a major Standard tournament till after the next B/R announcement outside of SCG opens. If they ban it, it won't be till the announcement time

kirblar

Can you clarify what you mean here? DTK doesn't seem terribly powerful to me. It just looks like Overcosted Fatties: the Set.
There are some very good cards in there. The pattern for a long time (since Scars, really), was that the set Erik Lauer was on would have a ton of very powerful cards, and the rest of the blocks surrounding it would have a much lower overall power level at mythic/rare, with a low number of high-profile all-star cards. This made those sets sort of lopsided, with a few specific chase cards in them that often blew up $-wise. Only Forsythe really came close to him in the set power level department, since he was willing to push things much further than others (like in NPH.)

In these three sets, however, we're seeing a much higher sustained power level at Mythic/Rare. That drop-off that normally occurs hasn't, and it's a good thing. I suspect it's in large part due to them knowing the sets rotate out faster, and thus they're willing to swing for the fences more in their design, since it will self-correct faster than normal.
Still 6 here. Don't really want to play it and a banning would devaluate it...
It's still very good even if Mastery gets banned.

There isn't a major Standard tournament till after the next B/R announcement outside of SCG opens. If they ban it, it won't be till the announcement time

Oh sure. I wouldn't expect an emergency ban. But I assume they thought that that the banlist was going to be a whole bunch of nothing until just now and this is catching them off guard.

Angry Grimace

I mean banning mastery would hurt the chances of the deck and therefore the card prices.

Well I wouldn't buy it at an inflated price, but Whisperwood is a really good Magic card as it is.

Yep. I played my Sultai Superfriends deck this past FNM, but I side-gamed after every round with this deck (with the forced epharas). Even minus 4 cards, the deck never lost except against aggro nut draws. I play at a place that plays 40 minute rounds, so this deck is a guaranteed 2-0-3 for me there. It's pretty durable, though.

Is it? I mean, it ticks all the boxes. It just seems a little...unexciting.

I guess it's kinda like a gravedigger that shoots something instead of being a useless body.

Edit: actually, I guess it's basically just Electrolyze. Which is pretty sweet.

This is why G/W is my least favourite colour combination. Can't interact with the board, board gets cluttered, pass turns with a million creatures in play.

I Loved my Selesnya deck from RtR block.

When it worked, it worked amazingly.

Archangel of Thune, Trostani, Voice of Resurgence, Advent of the Wurm, Scavenging Ooze, Selesnya Charm, Unflinching Courage

I'd have so many +1 counters on everything, not to mention creature tokens and a lot of life gain.

I picked up Masteries at .50. I should probably start heads-uping the thread about my grabs again.

(I have no earthly idea what's actually good in DTK, other than "Narset is overvalued by at least 2/3ds")

I can spec too! I traded all my Abzan Aggro cards to people for such underlooked specs as "Abrupt Decay", "shocklands" and "fetchlands". I used up most of my credit from being 1st loser to aquire the relatively unknown card "Scrubland". I also finished my playset of Leyline of Sanctity but that's probably a bad spec.

No seriously, guys. Convince me I'm wrong. They have to ban Mastery, right? At the very least, they're having an emergency meeting tomorrow to discuss it.

There is very little chance that they rush into banning a card a few days after the first major event where it proved itself to be a problem. WotC's standard approach is always to give the format a chance to solve itself and only ban if that seems to be proving ineffective.

This is why G/W is my least favourite colour combination. Can't interact with the board, board gets cluttered, pass turns with a million creatures in play.

There's no inherent reason it has to be this way. Between them white and green can deal with most permanents effectively and produce overwhelming attack pressure. If it's like that right now it's just because the durdly defensive stuff is too good and the haymakers are too weak.

Best command so far. Never a dead card.

Agreed, it basically says "1BR: 2-for-1."

OnPoint

Finally back home from doing the GDC-PAX nationwide tour, I have to scour my collection for Masterys now haha

That command is hot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom