• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Yeah, it's cards like Doom Blade/Pacifism that are problems in Limited. Two mana can undo six mana worth of work at card parity. If I can remove your thing and play my own thing, that's a huge blowout.

Once you start getting to 3 mana, it starts to be less of a disparity.
Then print 3 or more mana removal. In Ravnica, you had Disembowel, Seal of Doom, Douse in Gloom, Wrecking Ball, Brainspoil, Faith Fetters, Seal of Fire, Fiery Conclusion, Pyromatics, Galvanic Arc, Cackling Flames at common alone, and upgraded removal Putrefy, Mortify, Lightning Helix Ribbons of Night, Electrolyze, Devouring Light, Savage Twister, Twinstrike at uncommon. And that's not counting creatures like Steamcore Weird and Rakdos Guildmage.

Ravnica was amazing, despite two mana rocks. More of that, please.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't like there being 2 Mythics with Formidible on it. That just reeks of "we couldn't think of anything that sounded Mythic so we stapled a big splashy win-more onto a card."

en_yeZOGOHZ3u.png

LOL

This is my favorite card in the set.

y2dvd

It does bite when someone bust a constructed mythic rare in limited but how else are you going to provide constructed playable cards? And then look when a set gets nothing but weak mythic rares? We bitch and moan because we've been spoiled by previous pushed cards. WotC can't win lol.

In this previous draft, someone was able to play turn 3 Anafenza, Turn 4 Seige Rhino. It looked straight constructed. That's just how it rolls sometimes lol.

kirblar

I don't like there being 2 Mythics with Formidible on it. That just reeks of "we couldn't think of anything that sounded Mythic so we stapled a big splashy win-more onto a card."
Formiddable is basically "always on" in EDH, hence the double-tap at Mythic. Reminds me of Shards.

I've drafted Avenger of Zendikar, Lorthos, and Terastradon in the same draft. I 3-0'd. It was awesome.

kirblar

SHOCKING NEWS

Battle for Zendikar has 25 basic lands. Given previous "1 reprint + 4 new" structure in other blocks, basically confirms full-art lands.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
UB is playing Silumgar as their finisher these days, right?

Like 1 of them.

Unless they're gonna play more than 4 of them, it seems like a bad gamble to play UU Force Spike and pray you can turn it into Counterspell.

kirblar

In the early game it actually should be good enough in the first few turns vs most decks. It just isn't good enough if you aren't reliably albe to cast it for counterspell in the mid-late game.

Angry Grimace

In the early game it actually should be good enough in the first few turns vs most decks. It just isn't good enough if you aren't reliably albe to cast it for counterspell in the mid-late game.

That's the problem I think. In control decks, its probably Force Spike all the time if you have the normal number of dragons, and you're losing cards if you run extra dragons to turn this on.

Angry Grimace

Green hate spell is hilarious against Ashiok and Narset.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155195707]Mirror Mockery might be the card to get me to put Doomwake Giant back in my whip deck.[/QUOTE]

Its a card that if you gimmicked it in a constructed deck would only exist to abuse ETBs like Doomwake Giant, Master of Waves, Gary, etc.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155196190]Black one is great against abzan aggro and uw heroic. I like all these new cards.[/QUOTE]

I think the black one straight up kills UW heroic entirely.

f0rk

The blue one could be modern playable if sideboard space wasn't so tight.

I agree with WW about lack of smaller dragons. It's something that's getting in the way of that 2 mana 3/4 being sick

Dragon Whisperer is a nice addition to Red devotion. Could also work in RDW, on curve evasive 2/2 that has 2 mana-dumps.

That counterspell seems really good. Early on, it'll punish most tapouts, and I can see U control easily being able to draw or dig to the necessary dragon to make it a UU hard counter.

That dragon counterspell could be playable in Modern if there are proper Changelings available.

Off the top of my head, we have Mirror Entity, Crib Swap, Nameless Inversion, and Chameleon Colossus.

Angry Grimace

That counterspell seems really good. Early on, it'll punish most tapouts, and I can see U control easily being able to draw or dig to the necessary dragon to make it a UU hard counter.

I think it likely sees no serious play. Control decks are playing taplands on the opening turns a large proportion of the time and the spell is probably useless past turn 4 or so - the counterspell mode probably never comes on since you only run 1 or 2 copies of dragons.

Toxi

Banned
It's actually pretty funny how Akroma, Angel of Fury, a rare morph creature in a block with more than a dozen keywords, feels more mythic than any dragon spoiled so far, with megamorph as one of the keywords, or any other creature in Khans block for that matter.

Just goes to show that Time Spiral block is one of the GOATs.
I wouldn't call a weak knock-off of a fan-favorite card mythic-feeling.

That's the sort is card design that gives us Bogardan Hellkite 2: Atarka Boogaloo.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155196634]A medium removal spell that doubles as an ETB engine is a solid constructed card in my book.[/QUOTE]

As long as you recognize this is Johnny as fuck.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Mirror Mockery is just begging to be broken. Like, I dunno, Fiend Hunter type creature would be boss, or anything with a halfway decent ETB trigger.

kirblar

Same issue as with the "spell lands" during Zendikar design- players "feel bad" about playing a land/pitching a dragon.

Red hoser apparently coming later in the week.

Angry Grimace

Same issue as with the "spell lands" during Zendikar design- players "feel bad" about playing a land/pitching a dragon.

Red hoser apparently coming later in the week.

The red hoser is Pyroblast, obviously

Crocodile

I'm of two minds, so far.

First, I love flavor over nearly everything else. I can do that considering I don't play too much limited. So, I loved Avacyn and its plethora of angels. Loved it. I loved the different flavors of angels, the fact that I could finally have some playable angels that weren't 19 mana and I loved the artistic direction. If I felt the same way about dragons as I do angels, then I'd probably be slavering over DTK. I don't so I find it hard to be too excited about Oops, All Dragons.

Second, so far the design of DTK seems to be hampered by the good ol' pigheadedness of R&D. There is nothing that says a dragon can't be non-bomby. They've experimented at times with this, but MaRo is fond of talking about how they wanted to limit that to make dragons special.

That mindset has crept into what we have seen so far of DTK. They want dragons to still be big, bombastic creatures, which fits the flavor of dragons in most mythologies. It makes sense in most scenarios, but I'd argue that if you're going to design a plane that is all dragons, all the time, then they're not all going to be big, massive creatures. They can afford to have small dragons, wurms, welps, broodlings, etc. After all, if the theme is a dragon plane, it goes to reason that not all dragons are special.

But, we haven't seen all the filler cards yet, though I think we've probably seen all the good cards that remain at this point.

Dragons aren't born on Tarkir, they pop out of the Ugin tempests fully grown. As such, they can't make baby dragons in this set. They kind of set themselves into a bind flavorwise which is probably why there are all these cheaper, "cares about Dragons" non-Dragon cards in the set.

What they should have done is made the Dragons clause a "pitch" clause instead of a "kicker." (Shitty MTG Cardsmith image incoming)

VtbsYRV.png

Force of Dragon? That sounds pretty cool actually.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
We haven't seen the totally not Force of Will card with Olajuwon backhanding the spell yet, either.

It's Force of WIll.

Red hoser is Pyroblast that also deals to to target spell's controller.

ultron87

I for one am glad we'll have more opportunities along with Stubborn Denial to get the wonderful moment of your opponent embarrassingly playing an untapped land after you Force Spike them.

We haven't seen the totally not Force of Will card with Olajuwon backhanding the spell yet, either.

It's Force of WIll.

Red hoser is Pyroblast that also deals to to target spell's controller.

Pyroblast won't be printed in modern design. Red Elemental Blast could though.

Also, now I'm imaging the elder dragons dressed up as the Dream Team, so thanks for that.

So is anyone here going to Grand Prix Vegas for some limited action? I've never been to Vegas before so I decided this would be a great reason to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom