• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I wouldn't call a weak knock-off of a fan-favorite card mythic-feeling.

That's the sort is card design that gives us Bogardan Hellkite 2: Atarka Boogaloo.
Okay? Red Akroma is not mythic-feeling? What about Iona, Angel of Serenity, Archangel of Thune, Avacyn, Baneslayer Angel, Sublime Archangel, Linvala. All played in some capacity either present or in the past. Dragons have... Thundermaw and Stormbreath. MaRo's bias rears its ugly head once again.

Joe Molotov

Dragon Counter Dragon Spell
3UU
You may pay 1 life and exile a bomb-ass dragon from your hand rather than pay Force of Will's mana cost.
Counter target non-bomb-ass dragon spell unless it's owner pays (1).
Dragonrocious If the bomb-ass dragon discarded is a mythic, counter target spell instead.

ultron87

We haven't seen the totally not Force of Will card with Olajuwon backhanding the spell yet, either.

It's Force of WIll.

1425916941231000.png

I'm hilarious.

Toxi

Banned
Okay? Red Akroma is not mythic-feeling? What about Iona, Angel of Serenity, Archangel of Thune, Avacyn, Baneslayer Angel, Sublime Archangel, Linvala. All played in some capacity either present or in the past. Dragons have... Thundermaw and Stormbreath. MaRo's bias rears its ugly head once again.
Wait, so this has nothing to do with what the card actually does and everything to do with whether it has the creature type angel?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Let's take a moment to appreciate the strange convergence going on right now:
Kibler is probably going to be the happiest person in the world.

ultron87

Those Hearthstone cards not revealing the dragon in your hand drives me mad. Like I know you don't have to because the game keeps everyone honest but it feels so wrong.

ultron87

It's really good for just playing a game or two when you have 15 minutes and want a card game fix. You can actually make slight progress on something in that time, unlike MTGO where you need like an hour.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's really good for just playing a game or two when you have 15 minutes and want a card game fix. You can actually make slight progress on something in that time, unlike MTGO where you need like an hour.

You can get a game in on MTGO really fast if you just play aggro lol

GW Devotion is unplayable on MTGO though, you'd just time out every time.

Firemind

Wait, so this has nothing to do with what the card actually does and everything to do with whether it has the creature type angel?
It has everything to do with what the card does. Those angels have more mythic abilities than the dragonlords. In a dragon set, it's not too much to ask for mythic dragons, right?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It has everything to do with what the card does. Those angels have more mythic abilities than the dragonlords. In a dragon set, it's not too much to ask for mythic dragons, right?

Even in the same colors, Sigarda was like 100901238908290532 times better than Dromoka even if you just pretended her second (completely relevant) ability didn't exist.

ultron87

Even in the same colors, Sigarda was like 100901238908290532 times better than Dromoka even if you just pretended her second (completely relevant) ability didn't exist.

A big Hexproof flyer is what you want to hold up as interesting design?

Dromoka seems like a weird one to pick on, since it does have an interesting and not very often seen effect.

Angry Grimace

A big Hexproof flyer is what you want to hold up as interesting design?

Dromoka seems like a weird one to pick on, since it does have an interesting and not very often seen effect.

No, but he was talking about Mythic-feeling abilities. Can't Sac stuff is a cool ability and she's playable even without it. Dromoka has a lot of text which doesn't mean anything other than "Hero's Downfall on opponents turn instead." There's nothing actually interesting about it. It feels like it's missing having Flash or something.

Angry Grimace

They're playing around with ways to punish removal without printing "Hexproof" or "Indestructible" on everything. A lot of these dragons are experiments.

I actually like what they did with Thunderbreak Regent - it punishes the opponent for removing it or tribal buddies without making it so its just immune to removal - it does just enough damage to be a relevant penalty without being backbreaking. But just moving removal to your opponents turn is barely even relevant protection. It's such a minor set back at the mana cost that Dromoka has.

Better mechanics that punish removal (e.g. not Thragtusk shit), bring back shroud, drop hexproof entirely imo

ultron87

No, but he was talking about Mythic-feeling abilities. Can't Sac stuff is a cool ability and she's playable even without it. Dromoka has a lot of text which doesn't mean anything other than "Hero's Downfall on opponents turn instead." There's nothing actually interesting about it. It feels like it's missing having Flash or something.

I guess I don't really find playability to be necessarily be interesting. Sure, Sigarda is obviously a good Magic card because it is relatively unremoveable, but it sucks to play against and lose to. That doesn't feel Mythic to me, just annoying.

When Dromoka is in play she actually changes what the spells in your opponent's hand mean (either by making them blank in the terms of counterspells or making something like Jace's Ingenuity a much harder decision etc etc). That's interesting and not something you see every day printed on a Magic card. Hexproof is and is boring. Would it be better if it was a Voice of Resurgence and left behind something when it died? Sure. Just because it isn't a tournament caliber finishing card because it gets hit by removal doesn't make it seem not mythic.

I'd rather have a mythic like that than a million Tarmogoyfs which is only Mythic because of its price tag.

People can open Dromoka and be happy to have it in their EDH deck or whatever and meanwhile I don't need to buy 4 of them.

Angry Grimace

I guess I don't really find playability to be necessarily be interesting. Sure, Sigarda is obviously a good Magic card because it is relatively unremoveable, but it sucks to play against and lose to. That doesn't feel Mythic to me, just annoying.

When Dromoka is in play she actually changes what the spells in your opponent's hand mean (either by making them blank in the terms of counterspells or making something like Jace's Ingenuity a much harder decision etc etc). That's interesting and not something you see every day printed on a Magic card. Hexproof is and is boring. Would it be better if it was a Voice of Resurgence and left behind something when it died? Sure. Just because it isn't a tournament caliber finishing card because it gets hit by removal doesn't make it seem not mythic.

I'd rather have a mythic like that than a million Tarmogoyfs which is only Mythic because of its price tag.

People can open Dromoka and be happy to have it in their EDH deck or whatever and meanwhile I don't need to buy 4 of them.

In fairness, I agree its probably overpowered, but it definitely "feels" mythic at least. Those abilities should probably give you a 3/3. I guess I just don't like Dromoka specifically because it has a lot of text that is barely relevant when you read it and process it.

Silumgar-2 definetely does feel mythic to me. Kolaghan feels like it wouldn't be mythic without the weird double-spell thing - if it applied (maybe not for 10 life) while Kolaghan was on the stack, I would like it better since it would punish them for trying to Dissolve it, although I doubt they'd want to jam that much text on a card.

Firemind

To stay on G/W, Gaddock Teeg has mythic abilities I feel that won't impact constructed format on a fatty dragon and doesn't gain value like Voice of Resurence does. Alternate reality Dromoka is just, eh. Uncounterable, really?

Angry Grimace

To stay on G/W, Gaddock Teeg has mythic abilities I feel that won't impact constructed format on a fatty dragon and doesn't gain value like Voice of Resurence does. Alternate reality Dromoka is just, eh. Uncounterable, really?

The problem with Dromoka is that the ability is sort of cool but its totally dependent on you having more stuff to do on the turn you cast it. If it makes it to the next turn to attack its not really all that different from any other fuck-off huge dragon.

Toxi

Banned
Dromoka and Sigarda are both really boring designs. Gaddock Teeg actually encourages a certain type of deck-building to get the most out of its ability instead of just being a flying fatty with abilities that stop your opponents from interacting with your stuff.

I think the other two Powerpuff Girls are much more interesting flying fatties than Sigarda. Unfortunately, the other elder dragons are pretty boring.

Angry Grimace

Dromoka and Sigarda are both really boring designs. Gaddock Teeg actually encourages a certain type of deck-building to get the most out of its ability instead of just being a flying fatty with abilities that stop your opponents from interacting with your stuff.

I think the other two Powerpuff Girls are much more interesting flying fatties than Sigarda. Unfortunately, the other elder dragons are pretty boring.

Silumgar is pretty cool. Stealing your Elspeth/Ugin is always something fun.

Firemind

Silumgar would have been sweeter if it had hexproof instead of deathtouch. I feel like it was changed during development because a hexproof body with a mind control attached that could also hit planeswalkers was perhaps too sweet. Then they just gave hexproof to Ojutai.

f0rk

hedoniststrove.jpg

Hedonist's Trove
5BB
Enchantment
When Hedonist's Trove enteres the battlefield, exile all cards in target opponent's graveyard.

You may play land cards exiled by Hedonist's Trove.

One per turn, you may cast a nonland card exiled by Hedonist's Trove.

Don't know if it's too expensive to see play but is a cool card

ultron87

I'm pretty positive on the set so far. Plenty of cards I want to give a shot in Standard.

Silumgar is certainly the most mythic feeling to me. Stealing a Planeswalker is just sweet and little seen, even if the creature ability will happen way more often.

I like Kolaghan a lot too. The haste/giving haste is a big effect to have on a big dragon and the third ability is definitely unique and has a really impressive number attached to it.

I've talked about Dromoka above. I like the ability, even if it isn't the best thing.

Ojutai is kind of boring honestly, even if he's certainly playable.

And Atarka is boring but huge which isn't the worst but is certainly a little uninspired.

Angry Grimace

Oh yay, more garbage Limited rares to go along with the bomby Limited rares. :p

Nothing like a format where Player A gets garbage and Player B gets giant fuck-off dragon

Silumgar would have been sweeter if it had hexproof instead of deathtouch. I feel like it was changed during development because a hexproof body with a mind control attached that could also hit planeswalkers was perhaps too sweet. Then they just gave hexproof to Ojutai.

I mean, Hexproof plus a steal of even a creature would be 5UB I imagine.

ultron87

Nothing like a format where Player A gets garbage and Player B gets giant fuck-off dragon

They've said a number of times in articles that they were very aware of the fact that limited can't just become a "who opened the best/most dragons" contest so I'm at least giving them the benefit of the doubt on that. That and I'm an eternal optimist.

Angry Grimace

buy sarkhan unbroken for $28 y/n

I saw it for $24 yesterday. I can't imagine its gonna actually drop at more than $15 or so, its a good card, but the kind of deck that wants it is super Johnny/Timmy.

They've said a number of times in articles that they were very aware of the fact that limited can't just become a "who opened the best/most dragons" contest so I'm at least giving them the benefit of the doubt on that. That and I'm an eternal optimist.

Maybe there will be a good all-color anti-dragon measure or something, e.g.

Black Arrow 2
Artifact
3, T, Sacrifice Black Arrow: Destroy Target Dragon.

Firemind

N.

I have no idea whats good, Im waiting for more sellers to pop up on a lot of this stuff once the full spoiler breaks to pick up cheapies.
But it's so sweet. It's also three colours. :(

Dragon Whsiperer has AMAZING art, but it sucks for my Cube! :(
Yah, it's worse than Dragonlord and the RR is more prohibitive than Chainwalker and Borderland Marauder for those who want to play R/x aggro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom