• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is is solely dependent on enchantments? I know nothing about Modern decks, really. I mean, the current undiscovered constructed one-two punch of Become Immense and Temur Battle Rage could be a good finisher.

Put Flight in the board?

Nah, it's not hateful enough. To be honest, I'm probably gonna drop all the 2-mana auras that aren't Daybreak Coronet. So far Deviant Glee is testing way above expectations. Pushing my average CMC down to ~1.25 is probably more important than the extra versatility.

I think if I do that I can go down to 18 lands. Basically -3 Madcap, -1 Horizon Canopy, +4 Deviant Glee. Seems risky, though. You need 20 lands to consistently have a second land on turn 2, so 19 was already pushing it. I think I want to get as close to being able to play Stalker every game as I can without flooding on the draws where I have all one drops.

Is is solely dependent on enchantments? I know nothing about Modern decks, really. I mean, the current undiscovered constructed one-two punch of Become Immense and Temur Battle Rage could be a good finisher.

The problem is that Bogles puts 0 cards in the graveyard and 2 mana is the absolute high end. Since I already have evasion, boros charm is basically TBR already but having the modality to deal with sweepers and abrupt decay. There are also strange games where you have to win without getting a 4-power creature despite more than a third of the deck being enchantments.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ho6svkk.jpg

really?

Do Bogles have any answer for mainboard Spellskites?

Bogles just gets rek'd by Liliana

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155302237]Going by the art and mechanics of the card, it looks like Sorin took the credit for bringing back Ugin lol[/QUOTE]

Isn't Sorin your husbando?

Yeef

I feel bad for the person who manages to take out their opponent's Ugin in a limited game, only for them to play this the following turn.

Still curious to see if the enemy fetches are here or in BTZ. It looks like they still fit, number-wise.

Nonlegendary land that mana fixes for dragons and can be saced to get back said dragon or Ugin. Sounds fun. So I guess we know why Evolving Wilds got reprinted.

Joe Molotov

If enemy fetches aren't in this set, then do they have to keep the painlands in Origins or will we just have shitty mana fixing until BFZ?

G.ZZZ

That shaman is INSANE. Could very well be the actual 1R broken card of the cycle if you don't consider pyromancer which is too much U-oriented.

It's a 2-1 unblockable for 1R that later on give you card advantage and a 3/2 unblockable. So freaking good , so long since i got legit shook by a red card.

That shaman is INSANE. Could very well be the actual 1R broken card of the cycle if you don't consider pyromancer which is too much U-oriented.

It's a 2-1 unblockable for 1R that later on give you card advantage and a 3/2 unblockable. So freaking good , so long since i got legit shook by a red card.

What? But if you cast it as a 2/1 then its just.. that.

It seems really really really mediocre to me. Unless it goes in some super aggro deck with heelcutters? Seems to work well with heelcutter

Toxi

Banned

I like the card, but you're overreacting. A 2/1 unblockable for 1R (which this technically isn't) isn't going to set the world on fire.

G.ZZZ

2/1 for 1R is just that for Pyromancers, Confidants, or whatever else. Suppose you play this in an aggro deck (which is the only place you should play it).

In case you play this T2, you'll have a 2/1 unblockable which can be either instantly removed, or deal 2 damage per turn. If it's removed, then it's as good as confidant, if it's not, i'd say it's as good as confidant for a couple of turns then get worse. Still, 2 damage per turn is about as good as a card per turn in an aggressive deck if you consider mana expenditures too.

In mid to late game, however, this is a 3 damage per turn card that give card parity on cast. Meaning it give you a lot of reach. Compare, again, to confidant. If your opponent has removal on hand, this is leagues better than confidant. If he has no removal, then this is probably still better than confidant unless the game goes on for like 5 more turns.

The only situations i see this as not as good as confidant for aggressive decks is when:

- your meta has a lot of decks which play multiple goyfs and other cheap early fatties, in which case the unblockability is lost. But in legacy, red has absolutely no problems removing multiple cheap blocking creatures, aside from goyf itself.
- you play a very low land count deck, maybe with 4 vials, in which case you're never flipping this, and then a 2/1 unblockable is probably not your best card even if it's still borderline playable imho.

Granted, being better than confidant in those decks is still probably not enough for it to see play in Legacy because Confidant itself almost never see play itself (mostly because of the fact he get blocked by everything and lategame it just trade 1 for 1, both things that this card avoid in part).

I also think this card is much worse in standard and modern than legacy because it isn't as unblockable there as it is in legacy, and everything is midrange, meaning its advantages are almost never so.

EDIT: forgot about Tasigur, since it's been a while i've actually played legacy. That make it considerably worse sigh. Still, i'll be testing this everywhere.

MjFrancis

G4a9dZM.png

The artist really nailed Warbringer.

Zurgo gets a shrieking shaman.

Kolaghan rallys a berserker so fierce he could only be called Warbringer.

They are better off without the white mana.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That is weird. Either they're about to blow our socks off with the lands or we're going to get like, the worst lands ever created.

ironmang

Putting this in the same breath as SFM, Bob, Snapcaster, and Goyf? wot

ultron87

That is weird. Either they're about to blow our socks off with the lands or we're going to get like, the worst lands ever created.

It depends on how many artifacts and how many basics are in the set. If there's 15 basics there aren't any lands alphabetically after Evolving Wilds at 248 and Haven at 249. So there could be room for some commonly named cycle that falls before them (ie "Dragonplace that makes UW" "Dragonplace that makes RB"). Or if there is only ten basics (which seems low for a large set) that there are tons of possibilities.

bigkrev

We have had zero artifacts and only 2 lands spoiled so far - it's very weird. Feels like we probably have a cycle of lands, but who knows, given the weird block structure.

Now that Block is a dead format, they don't really need to do it. As it is right now, there are 3 dual lands for each color combination avalible in standard right now

-Temples
-Refuges
-Fetch/Pain

Plus Mana Confluence and the Triple lands. They don't need to have more fixing in standard right now

Angry Grimace

There is probably no land cycle unless its all Dragon land bullshit

Why do you say that? I don't see any reason for the lands in this set to be anything special, UNLESS the Zendikar fetches are being reprinted.

I bet the Zendikar lands are in Zendikar

Have the land slots been spoiled/revealed via numbers magic?

Evolving Wilds is 248, Haven is 249, the remaining cards out of 264 are likely - Plains Plains Plains Island Island Island Swamp Swamp Swamp Mountain Mountain Mountain Forest Forest Forest

Yeef

Why do you say that? I don't see any reason for the lands in this set to be anything special, UNLESS the Zendikar fetches are being reprinted.
They were asked about the lands during the PAX panel and dodged the question pretty expertly. If there wasn't something going on, that seems like a weird thing to do.

Angry Grimace

They were asked about the lands during the PAX panel and dodged the question pretty expertly. If there wasn't something going on, that seems like a weird thing to do.

Tribal Dragon lands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom