• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is probably no land cycle unless its all Dragon land bullshit

I bet the Zendikar lands are in Zendikar

Haven is 249/264 - which is exactly 3 of each basic.

Oh I agree. There is 0% question in my mind that Zendikar is where they are. But I guess I'm just saying -- they already reprinted fetches in the 1st set of this block...I'm not certain I see an earth shattering set of lands coming (no pun intended).

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'm not sure which cards you're thinking of. I can't think of a single parasitic card in this set off the top of my head.

Unless I'm misinterpreting Maro's definition, these all seem to fit the bill:

635615509362015786.png

Warbringer_20150310.png

ho6svkk.jpg

Silumgars-Scorn.png

All of them need to be in an ecosystem full of dragons, dash, or facedown cards to be effective.

bigkrev

All of them need to be in an ecosystem full of dragons, dash, or facedown cards to be effective.

The first 2 are limited build around cards... and Dragons are as evergreen as it gets in Magic (there are 4 dragons in M15, one in each set of Theros, ect)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It seems more like they're just going to have no fixing in an unabashedly multicolor set that even suggests in the last pack of draft that three-color is a good idea. (given that fixing is spoiled pretty early normally) Yeah, this set looks pretty terrible so far.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DDF will be a two-color draft format.

There's still enemy colored cards in FRF plus some much less attractive enemy colored fixing (so it slides down the list of where you'd take it). You are given at least some incentive to try it. Granted, its just a third color splash which isn't exactly "three-color," but still.

Unless the commons and uncommons are a lot more powerful than what we've seen so far, its probably also gonna be miserable.

Xis

Tis to be expected, given the "ALL FAT FAT FATTIES" mandate. For what it is, it's fine.

To me, the Khans timeline seems a lot more interesting than the Dragons timeline, from both a flavor perspective (dragons are pretty meh) and from a mechanical perspective (would have liked to seen the wedges explored further).

ultron87

What if they print a cycle of new dual lands that can be targeted by fetches? What would they look like? What would the drawback have to be?

That could be cool. They could just do typed duals that always enter the battlefield tapped and have them be uncommon. Those would make playing a ton of colors really easy though.

I really do like the Avatar of the Resolute.

I'm sure some may say it's lame, but I'm a sucker for stuff like that. I still think I'm old-fashioned lol.

Yeef

635615509362015786.png

Warbringer_20150310.png

ho6svkk.jpg

Silumgars-Scorn.png

Deceiver is fine because morph has been used in several blocks and will likely be used again at some point down the line.

Warbringer's dash reduction is more of a bonus than anything. A 3/3 for 4 is in red's wheel house and it having dash itself makes it a fine card to run as your only dash creature in a deck. You either get a hasty 3/3 for cheap or you get multiple hasty 3/3s for cheap with the right draw.

Dragons appear in pretty much every set, so the dragon-specific stuff also isn't parasitic.

When I think parasitic, I think mechanics like splice onto arcane, which does nothing with cards from outside of Kamigawa block. In recent times, the gates-matter cards from RTR block are another good example of what I'd consider parasitic design (though they're on the lighter side of the spectrum).

Yeef

635615901160478092.jpg

Orator of Ojutai 1W
Creature - Bird Monk
Defender, flying
As an additional cost to cast ~, you may reveal a Dragon card from your hand.
When ~ enters the battlefield, if you revealed a Dragon card or controlled a Dragon as you cast ~, draw a card.
0/4

There's your Wall of Omens for the Ojutai Command

[EDIT] Actually, the ability only triggers if it was cast, now that I re-read it. That doesn't work.

ultron87

Orator of Ojutai 1W
Creature - Bird Monk
Defender, flying
As an additional cost to cast ~, you may reveal a Dragon card from your hand.
When ~ enters the battlefield, if you revealed a Dragon card or controlled a Dragon as you cast ~, draw a card.
0/4

There's your Wall of Omens for the Ojutai Command

Except that doesn't work with Command because it checks for Dragon on cast. :(

Angry Grimace

MiXvQPb.jpg

Wall O' Dragons, I guess.

(Defender, Flying, Draw a card on ETB if you reveal/control dragon)

Angry Grimace

Was this posted yet? It would be pretty funny to put it on their Siege Rhino. I guess it ain't attacking no more!

I'm assuming you mean the mirror enchantment, yes we had talked about it earlier and about putting it on your Master of Waves.

I don't think even that works assuming the text is the same as the other cards like it:

scaleguardsentinels.jpg

If you don't cast the card it can't check that you had a dragon while you cast it.

I like how the clause they put in specifically to minimize feel-bad moments (of the dragon being destroyed in response to you casting) has just caused a feel-bad moment.

OnPoint

Was this posted yet? It would be pretty funny to put it on their Siege Rhino. I guess it ain't attacking no more!

wHhSZCx.jpg

It's good for that, but I also love the idea of putting it on your OWN Siege Rhino and just stomping in for massive life swings.

Toxi

Banned
From a flavor perspective, the Dragons of Tarkir clans feel more boring than the Khans of Tarkir clans. Removing the enemy color removes a lot of the nuance and inner conflict of the clans, instead making them just pale knockoffs of the Ravnica guilds. The Abzan are the worst example of this; they lost basically everything interesting about the clan (the ruthless survival focus, the religious take on necromancy, the Krumar system) and are now just the generic White-Green teamwork faction.

Makes me sad because I really liked the Abzan.

I just realized you guys never posted these:
en_VEuIt7XUu5.png

Jeez, and people thought Garruk's Companion was a big example of power creep when it came out.
Holy fuck, that's a good card.

Also, that flavor text demonstrates exactly why the Dromoka are more boring than the Abzan.

Yeef

yes it is. the reveal dragon clause might as well not exist outside limited.
Parasitic design has nothing to do with the power of the card. I can assure you, there are tons of casual players with dragon decks that can make use of the "have a dragon" cards.

From a flavor perspective, the Dragons of Tarkir clans feel more boring than the Khans of Tarkir clans. Removing the enemy color removes a lot of the nuance and inner conflict of the clans, instead making them just pale knockoffs of the Ravnica guilds. The Abzan are the worst example of this; they lost basically everything interesting about the clan (the ruthless survival focus, the religious take on necromancy, the Krumar system) and are now just the generic White-Green teamwork faction.

Makes me sad because I really liked the Abzan.
Well, they did say, on the first day of spoilers, that Sarkhan was supposed to change the world for the worse with his time-travel shenanigans (from the perspective of a Tarkir native).
The main character would come to the world, find it flawed in some way, go back in time and fix what he or she thought was the problem, and then return back to present day to see what impact the change has had. As is dictated by the archetype, it never goes exactly the way main character expects.

So we started Khans of Tarkir design knowing we needed a flawed world that would get changed into an even more flawed world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom