• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Stupid lore question- did the Time travel only affect Tarkir, or did it affect every plane in the multiverse? Is time a separate entity on each plane?

Stupid lore question- did the Time travel only affect Tarkir, or did it affect every plane in the multiverse? Is time a separate entity on each plane?

Tarkir only. As far as anyone outside of Tarkir is concerned, Tarkir was ruled by khans and Sarkhan left there and started serving Bolas, then suddenly turned into a world ruled by dragons.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The answer they gave is basically if affects nothing in the multiverse other than Tarkir or Planeswalkers who went there. Sorin I guess would be affected, but since Ugin hasn't left his sleep-chamber and Sorin literally did nothing on Tarkir other than say "Oh Ugin is dead," it probably makes no difference.

Ah, this makes sense. But yeah, the commander deck sort of shows that Urza is going to happen probably in 2-3 years.

I guess they'd have to do a multicolor series of decks with new PW commanders (which they probably will at some point). Urza is supposed to be UR.

Toxi

Banned
When are we going back to Dominaria is my question. I want an Urza planeswalker.
I hope we don't return to Dominaria. The setting has been used for most of the game's history and there's little left to do with it. Time Spiral was basically a sendoff to Dominaria.

The only exception would be if a miracle happened and we got a good Mirage 2.0 with art just as amazing as Mirage and Visions, but I don't see that happening.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hope we don't return to Dominaria. The setting has been used for most of the game's history and there's little left to do with it. Time Spiral was basically a sendoff to Dominaria.

The only exception would be if a miracle happened and we got a good Mirage 2.0 with art just as amazing as Mirage and Visions, but I don't see that happening.

It is happening eventually. A lot of these worlds have nothing particularly interesting about their flavor, either.

kirblar

Maro's been answering that question with enough regularity that I suspect it's involved, yeah. (Might be Jace, since he gets mindwiped after he moves to Ravnica.)

Plus, how do you do an origin story without THE Origin place.

OnPoint

The answer they gave is basically if affects nothing in the multiverse other than Tarkir or Planeswalkers who went there. Sorin I guess would be affected, but since Ugin hasn't left his sleep-chamber and Sorin literally did nothing on Tarkir other than say "Oh Ugin is dead," it probably makes no difference.

I guess they'd have to do a multicolor series of decks with new PW commanders (which they probably will at some point). Urza is supposed to be UR.

Well, UR makes sense for artifact purposes I guess. With the Feldon story and the red 2015 Commander deck centering around that and blue traditionally being the other artifact manipulation color, it makes a ton of sense, even if for some reason I always saw him as UW in my head.

Toxi

Banned
Urza's basically every color but Green.

Even Green is debatable after he became buddies with Multani.
It is happening eventually. A lot of these worlds have nothing particularly interesting about their flavor, either.
I know that, we're getting another Zendikar block.

But having another block set in Dominaria is still meh.

Well, UR makes sense for artifact purposes I guess. With the Feldon story and the red 2015 Commander deck centering around that and blue traditionally being the other artifact manipulation color, it makes a ton of sense, even if for some reason I always saw him as UW in my head.

Well, Maro has said that he's WU.
randomguy666 asked: You said you think Urza was blue/white. How did he then cast Urza's Rage? :p

Yes, Urza also has some red in him. Less than his white and blue but it’s there.
And again
kaokun asked: Was Urza a mono-blue character, or did he have some other color to him?

Urza shifted over the years. I think most of the time, he was white/blue but he had moments of black and red for sure.

ultron87

Maro's been answering that question with enough regularity that I suspect it's involved, yeah. (Might be Jace, since he gets mindwiped after he moves to Ravnica.)

Well we all know Jace is Urza's long lost son/chosen one/first part of the new legacy/reincarnated new body.

This probably isn't true since they're going for a clean break deal. Probably.

kirblar

I dunno. How do you have a 20 year anniversary with only a single, overpriced fuck you FTV as a "thank you" to the fans who made your game last two decades?
They don't like highlighting that in mainline products because it makes people think they're jumping on the train too late. No joke.

Angry Grimace

The red hate card is a one mana "Fuck Twin"

rendingvolley.jpg

Rending Volley

R
Instant

Rending Volley can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Rending Volley deals 4 damage to target white or blue creature.

Angry Grimace

4 damage to your dude, can't be countered, can't be redirected to Spellskite

Toxi

Banned
I dunno. How do you have a 20 year anniversary with only a single, overpriced fuck you FTV as a "thank you" to the fans who made your game last two decades?
Hey, at least it was nowhere near as bad as the Commander's Arsenal.
Dragony Tutor

B_wqdSDUsAESv0K.png:large
I feel like they could have dropped a mana from the cost easily. It's not like tutoring for dragons is that scary (Outside Worldgorger). Though I guess they balanced its mana cost for limited.

Angry Grimace

"Draconic Tutor."

Good limited card if you're looking to go full Dragon.

That's not actually true anymore. Since 2002, the only Dominaria block was Time Spiral. If you count that as a year, we've been outside of Dominaria for 12 years or so.

And really, a lot of the 90s was outside of Dominaria, too.

rendingvolley.jpg

Rending Volley

R
Instant

For some reason, Mythic Spoiler in particular is blocked at work (maybe the hosting site?), so I can't see this card, but I don't see this card being mentioned anywhere else.

EDIT: Okay, here it is.
635615962320890399.png

It's an official preview from MTG France.

b7ZS9HY.jpg

Seriously, why is this cycle being spoiled one at a time instead of the gold uncommon cycle?

Toxi

Banned
That's not actually true anymore. Since 2002, the only Dominaria block was Time Spiral. If you count that as a year, we've been outside of Dominaria for 12 years or so.

And really, a lot of the 90s was outside of Dominaria, too.
I guess, but the setting is still overused.

List of expansion sets primarily based on Dominaria.

• Antiquities
  • Legends
  • The Dark
  • Fallen Empires
  • Ice Age
  • Alliances
  • Mirage
  • Visions
  • Weatherlight
  • Urza's Saga
  • Urza's Destiny
  • Urza's Legacy
  • Prophecy
  • Invasion
  • Planeshift
  • Apocalypse
  • Odyssey
  • Torment
  • Judgement
  • Onslaught
  • Legions
  • Scourge
  • Coldsnap
  • Time Spiral
  • Planar Chaos
  • Future Sight
  • Portal Second Age

And then Time Spiral block basically referenced everything on Dominaria.

kirblar

no u

Reddit post suggests that the "big butts" stuff in this set could be a setup for Zendikar II if ROE's defender theme returns. They're probably right.

edit: Ugh, a twin hoser? Doesn't fix the real problem.

inthrall

Assault Formation makes me want to build a big butts deck. For all of three minutes work

4 Disowned Ancestor
4 Assault Formation
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Cruphix
4 Siege Rhino
4 Nyx Fleece Ram
4 Wall of Mulch
4 Hornet Nest
3 Doomwake Giant

2 Banishing Light

23 lands

Crocodile

Most people playing now have never played with a block set on Dominaria and we've never had a Dominaria based set under NWO. I think a return is more than earned at this point.

Dragony Tutor

B_wqdSDUsAESv0K.png:large

If this was attached to like a 1/1 body I might like it. As is, its a bit hard to care :/

b7ZS9HY.jpg

Seriously, why is this cycle being spoiled one at a time instead of the gold uncommon cycle?

I don't get how this cycle supports Dragon tribal. You aren't going to have a board filled with Dragons, they are too expensive for you to get many of them out before you can unmorph this cycle.

inthrall

I don't get how this cycle supports Dragon tribal. You aren't going to have a board filled with Dragons, they are too expensive for you to get many of them out before you can unmorph this cycle.

The new 2 drop that reduces morph costs is definitely going to be a factor

G.ZZZ

rendingvolley.jpg

Rending Volley

R
Instant

Oh wow, an interesting cycle of hosers and the red one is a combust. Thx wotc, red deserve nothing but burn spells. Brilliant design. Meanwhile blue get removal, cloning, flying creatures, utility creatures, protection creatures, card draw, spell clones, creature clones, cheating effects, bounce, permission, discard, direct damage, what else? Dunno

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Uh, red gets haste and useless "use up all your mana to maybe cast a spell sometimes" now. Also, Chaos Warp effects! What more do you want???

Angry Grimace

no u

Reddit post suggests that the "big butts" stuff in this set could be a setup for Zendikar II if ROE's defender theme returns. They're probably right.

edit: Ugh, a twin hoser? Doesn't fix the real problem.

Its just so insanely specific and practically useless in Standard to boot. Just Clique that shit to the bottom and continue on comboing off.

G.ZZZ

If they actually wanted a twin hoser they should've printed a sulfur elemental colorshifted. Another combust really? Who thought that would be a good idea.

y2dvd

Assault Formation makes me want to build a big butts deck. For all of three minutes work

4 Disowned Ancestor
4 Assault Formation
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Cruphix
4 Siege Rhino
4 Nyx Fleece Ram
4 Wall of Mulch
4 Hornet Nest
3 Doomwake Giant

2 Banishing Light

23 lands

I was also thinking of something very similar but it would also run 4 Commune with the Gods and some Tasigurs. There's also some 1cmc 0/4 to choose from and it would be so trollish to run some Jeskai Barricades on top.

Angry Grimace

Like half the deck doesn't do anything without Butt Formation, though.

kirblar

Its just so insanely specific and practically useless in Standard to boot. Just Clique that shit to the bottom and continue on comboing off.
Kills Mantis Rider, Seeker, Butcher, etc. It isn't bad.

Ironically, Combust would have been better cause it kill Rhino, but they wanted to print Roast.

Angry Grimace

Kills Mantis Rider, Seeker, Butcher, etc. It isn't bad.

Ironically, Combust would have been better cause it kill Rhino, but they wanted to print Roast.

Butcher barely sees play anymore and Lightning Strike kills all of those without caring about its color. I guess if you REALLY want more Lightning Strikes.

Matriox

4 Disowned Ancestor
4 Assault Formation
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Cruphix
4 Siege Rhino
4 Nyx Fleece Ram
4 Wall of Mulch
4 Hornet Nest
3 Doomwake Giant

2 Banishing Light

23 lands

I'd shoehorn this kind of deck as Sultai so if you don't have Assault Formation you have Phenax to use the butts.

As for the new combust, I like that it can get rid of Brimaz, Knuckleblades, and Anafenza personally. I suppose its more intended for Splinter Twin though.

inthrall

I'd shoehorn this kind of deck as Sultai so if you don't have Assault Formation you have Phenax to use the butts.

As for the new combust, I like that it can get rid of Brimaz, Knuckleblades, and Anafenza personally. I suppose its more intended for Splinter Twin though.

You get Wall of frost in sultai too, so that could be a decent trade

Angry Grimace

Just ban Deceiver Exarch instead.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It hurts twin, kills Restos and slays delver. I dunno, seems sideboard stapley as the meta ebbs and flows in eternal formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom