• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm trying my hardest to get Sarkhan, Unbroken to work. I really want this fucking guy to work. But Temur is so bad....why can't you be just RG!? I love Stubborn Denial, don't get me wrong, but it really feels like dropping Knux for Courser is the right move and then the deck feels just wrong.

ironmang

What is your gender? Male
What is your age? 26
How long (total time) have you regularly played Magic? Started around Urza's block, played a couple years, and took a long break until Alara block. Been playing regularly since then.
How long have you posted on NeoGAF? 1 year
Do you generally play Magic on a computer (online) or in person (paper)? Paper
Do you play MTGO? Not anymore.
What type of player would you consider yourself? Competitive
How many events do you attend, both online and paper, on average per week? 2
How many GPs (Grand Prix) have you attended? 5
Who's your favorite MTG-GAF member? Kirblar shows up the most in GAF communities I lurk (FGC, Survivor) so I'll have to go with him. :p

Firemind

What is your age? 29
How long (total time) have you regularly played Magic? Around 15 years. Started with Urza's Legacy during the height of the Pokémon craze, stopped with Mirrodin, came back for Ravnica. Almost quite again when Scars of Mirrodin reared its ugly head. Basically, Mirrodin is the worst. Now let's never speak of it again.
How long have you posted on NeoGAF? 3 years. Used to lurk for a looooong time.
Do you generally play Magic on a computer (online) or in person (paper)? Used to play paper exclusively. Now more online because I don't have time during the weekends.
Do you play MTGO? Yes
What type of player would you consider yourself? Johnny I guess? Not that I like to play combo decks. I just like to play decks that surprise my opponents so they have no clue what to do, with a tendency to U/R of course. Playing the best decks is boring.
How many events do you attend, both online and paper, on average per week? 2-3
How many GPs (Grand Prix) have you attended? Too many to count. Never made day 2. So many 6-3s :lol
Who's your favorite MTG-GAF member? Angry Grimace for being a neverending ball of positive energy. Not that angry kirby though. Not cute at all.

Started with 4th edition, stopped with Apocalypse, came back for Mirroden, stepped away with Coldsnap, came back for M11
That must have been rough.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155443873]I posted a couple weeks ago about it, but I unistalled MODO because I was spending too much money and I had no interest in building a constructed deck. Even if you win a lot playing draft, you're basically always losing money and the entertainment value just wasn't enough for me. I haven't touched it since.

I was playing like 10 drafts and several pptq events every week, I had to stop. Even if you get the average cost of a draft down to like 5 bucks, that's still a ton of money for getting basically nothing in return other than a few hours of entertainment.[/QUOTE]
Win more. Lose less. Always losing money? C'mon the EV isn't that bad with a decent win percentage. Personally, I didn't put money in MTGO for the whole year. Of course I generally only play cube and don't enter pptqs. I'm currently out of packs and tix though. Stupid Fate Reforged. :lol

Yeah, I haven't paid for a phantom event in...two years? I think? I'm not sure how long they've had the current phantom prize structure (where 2-1 gets your entry fee back), but ever since then I'm infinite in that currency. As far as regular events, my life enabled me to draft like a fiend during Theros, and while I wasn't infinite for the run of Theros, the bleed was very, very slow.

But in general, yes - MTGO is a constant money sink. And the environment is very much one of sharks and fish; the people who are going infinite are doing it at the expense of people who aren't good enough for the events that they're playing. (I am not a shark. I was close during Theros, but I am no longer.)

What is your age? 27
How long (total time) have you regularly played Magic? Started around Urza's block, played through to Odyssey. Big gap then until Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. THen another big gap until M15.

How long have you posted on NeoGAF? Not sure, 06ish? I've been reading GAF since 2000-2001. I remember being 14 and reading the September 11 thread when it happened. Also remember the X-Box reveal and when the Dreamcast was discontinued.
Do you generally play Magic on a computer (online) or in person (paper)? Online; paper's better but I haaaate dank LGSs.
Do you play MTGO? Occasionally.
What type of player would you consider yourself? Spectator? I certainly cbf with the constructed meta. I mostly watch Limited streams and play the occasional draft.
But generally, my philosophy on games is that they're best when both players are trying to win.

How many events do you attend, both online and paper, on average per week? 0-1
How many GPs (Grand Prix) have you attended? 0
Who's your favorite MTG-GAF member? Kirblar, Angry Grimace for that staunch hostility, charlequin

My favorite part of watching VSL is listening to Kai constantly talk shit about Sensei's Divining Top and how Magic would be a better game if it had never been printed. :)

Firemind

I'm trying my hardest to get Sarkhan, Unbroken to work. I really want this fucking guy to work. But Temur is so bad....why can't you be just RG!? I love Stubborn Denial, don't get me wrong, but it really feels like dropping Knux for Courser is the right move and then the deck feels just wrong.
I'm telling you

t1 mystic
t2 temur ascendancy
t3 thunderbreak regent
t4 sarkhan
t5 dragonlord atarka
t6 all the crater's claws

pls reprint birds of paradise in origins kthxbai

Xis

I hope someone comes along and does that little survey thingie that's older than me. Feels weird being perhaps the oldest guy in here.

Just for you:

What is your age? 40
How long (total time) have you regularly played Magic? Since Revised / Legends
How long have you posted on NeoGAF? Since 2011
Do you generally play Magic on a computer (online) or in person (paper)? Paper + some DoTP.
Do you play MTGO? Not since they took away leagues (I can't ever commit more than an hour or two at a time; drafts take too long).
What type of player would you consider yourself? Casual (Johnny)
How many events do you attend, both online and paper, on average per week? Zero sanctioned, but me and a buddy play our own version of leagues during our lunch hour at work at least once a week.
How many GPs (Grand Prix) have you attended? Zero. Only paper tournaments I ever attended were the big pre-releases, but not since they restructured those to be smaller events at the local comic shop (this was around Alara I think?)

OnPoint

Who's your favorite MTG-GAF member? Honestly, there isn't a bad member on MTG
Shoutouts to Graki, Haly, OnPoint, Crocodile and of course, Technomancer, who used to post more back in the day, but have probably been lured away by the siren's call of Hearthstone. :(
<3 u 2 bb :-* lol

ultron87

Oh boy survey!

What is your age? 27
How long (total time) have you regularly played Magic? Played with brother as a kid around Ice Age and then came back as an adult around when M12 came out. So that means probably 6 years total and coming up on 4 years in this current run.
How long have you posted on NeoGAF? Since 2008. So 7 years. Good god.
Do you generally play Magic on a computer (online) or in person (paper)? Paper.
Do you play MTGO? Sometimes I'll pop in to run a cube draft, but I usually don't have the 2-3 hours needed straight for a whole tournament. Leagues please!
What type of player would you consider yourself? Mostly average. I can win store events sometimes but haven't really gone much further competitive wise. I'm kind of stubborn in the decks I pick so I could probably do better if I just played the "best deck" instead of my current pet deck.
How many events do you attend, both online and paper, on average per week? 1-2. FNM and either Tuesday Modern or Wednesday Standard
How many GPs (Grand Prix) have you attended? 0. Going to Vegas this year for my first one!
Who's your favorite MTG-GAF member? WanderingWind laughed at a poop joke I made one time.

Matriox

Sure why not.

What is your age? 24
How long (total time) have you regularly played Magic? Kitchen table started when I was 5, I didn't know the rules super well but I played daily for a long time. Got into fnm and actually knowing the rules at Mirrodin though and being able to afford my own decks.
How long have you posted on NeoGAF?Since late 2013
Do you play MTGO? Nope
What type of player would you consider yourself? Mostly competitive, although not very good
How many events do you attend, both online and paper, on average per week? ½? I only go to fnm every other week due to my work schedule.
How many GPs (Grand Prix) have you attended? None

OnPoint

What is your age? 31
How long (total time) have you regularly played Magic? Started with Revised/4th/Ice Age, played up to Odyssey block, quit until New Phyrexia/M12, and haven't looked back
How long have you posted on NeoGAF? Um... 2007? Fuck...
Do you play MTGO? Not so much
What type of player would you consider yourself? Casual with competitive dreams and a lack of time
How many events do you attend, both online and paper, on average per week? 0.5 or less
Who's your favorite MTG-GAF member? I love all of you, but WanderingWind gave me the shout out :p

Reverse that bolding!

ultron87

Anyone know any good Sideboard tech for Affinity that I could bring in against Tron? I think the match up is already decent for me, but there seems to be an oddly large amount of it at my store on Tuesdays. The one guy that's really good with it has a crazy tricked out deck full of foreign foils. It is real nice.

I tried Blood Moon but that seems like it just slows me down as much as it slows them down and then gets Oblivion Stoned anyway.

Does Ancient Grudge make sense to kill Stones before they can blow them or kill 2/3 of a Wurmcoil?

bigkrev

Anyone know any good Sideboard tech for Affinity that I could bring in against Tron? I think the match up is already decent for me, but there seems to be an oddly large amount of it at my store on Tuesdays. The one guy that's really good with it has a crazy tricked out deck full of foreign foils. It is real nice.

I tried Blood Moon but that seems like it just slows me down as much as it slows them down and then gets Oblivion Stoned anyway.

Does Ancient Grudge make sense to kill Stones before they can blow them or kill 2/3 of a Wurmcoil?

Thoughtsieze is pretty good- if their hand only has 1 threat, you can take it and probably win before they draw a second one. Ancient Grudge is also fine, but you probably don't want to bring in more than 1 or 2 copies

Kerrinck

What is your age? 30
How long (total time) have you regularly played Magic? Started on Fourth Edition, stopped a bit before Tempest and returned on Urza's Saga. Stopped once again a bit before Kamigawa came out and came back on Lorwin.
How long have you posted on NeoGAF? Since 2009 but I lurked for a long time before becoming a member,
Do you generally play Magic on a computer (online) or in person (paper)? Both though I really prefer IRL since I get to meet some awesome people.
Do you play MTGO? Once in a while. Play a lot more when Cube is around.
What type of player would you consider yourself? Competitive
How many events do you attend, both online and paper, on average per week? 2
How many GPs (Grand Prix) have you attended? 3
Who's your favorite MTG-GAF member? Haven't been here long enough to decide but will try to change that.

y2dvd

What is your age? 32
How long (total time) have you regularly played Magic? However long ago Scars of Mirridon was.
How long have you posted on NeoGAF?4 years I think
Do you play MTGO? No
What type of player would you consider yourself? Competitive, average but improving
How many events do you attend, both online and paper, on average per week? Are we talking about FNM type events? 0.5
Who's your favorite MTG-GAF member? No one in particular, but I will go reverse and hate when people post pics not from imgur because my workplace has those other links blocked. I keep having to copy the url and paste it onto imgur to view lol.

MjFrancis

dromokamonument.jpg

ojutaimonument.jpg

silumgarmonument.jpg

kolaghanmonument.jpg

atarkamonument.jpg

bigkrev

Well, at least they made the 3 mana rocks look exciting? No idea what speed the limited format is going to be, but these could be good if it's a bit slow

MjFrancis

Limited bombs seem to generally drop around turn 6 for Dragons. Without knowing what the majority of the cards look like with the uncommons and commons yet to be spoiled I wouldn't be surprised if the format slowed down compared to Khans.

kirblar

Wow, there really are nearly no non-basics in this set.

They've also mentioned new players HATE opening lands in their packs because they don't understand the value. I wonder if this is an intentional experiment. Hopefully Origins gives use some more fixing.

Wow, there really are nearly no non-basics in this set.

They've also mentioned new players HATE opening lands in their packs because they don't understand the value. I wonder if this is an intentional experiment. Hopefully Origins gives use some more fixing.

Should they stop putting dual lands at rare and put them in the basic land slot instead? Print them at the same rate so the same quantity of dual lands gets printed as before. Boom; instant win for everybody?

MjFrancis

As someone who plays with a lot of casual players, I will agree that they absolutely hate pulling lands. I traded two Ragemongers for a Temple of Malady once. I told the guy what the land was worth and that I owed him a lot but he didn't care. Dude just wanted to build a Minotaur deck.

I love that Duress and must have it for my cube. Get that poor stabby Elf out of here.

The Jayemdae Tome variant is really interesting. The initial mana investment is pretty high, but over time that thing could accrue some serious value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom