• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
GP Vegas already at almost 2000 people 2 and a 1/2 months out. Thing is going to be nutso.

http://www.grandprixvegas.com/registration_rewards

My wallet is going to bleed to on-demand MM2 drafts.

Wow, this is actually quite generous. I'm already registered, so I have a 1 in 2000 chance of getting a timetwister, 1 in 2100 chance of getting a plateau, 1 in xyz chance of getting 1 in xyz, all the way up the chain. That's pretty generous even if I don't win!

Firemind

Wow, this is actually quite generous. I'm already registered, so I have a 1 in 2000 chance of getting a timetwister, 1 in 2100 chance of getting a plateau, 1 in xyz chance of getting 1 in xyz, all the way up the chain. That's pretty generous even if I don't win!
That's a lot of prizes. Wish we had this. :(

What's a guru basic land?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I wish there was a site that just let you buy a deck without having to actually type or search shit. Like, click "G/B infect" and it just adds the cards to your cart.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wish there was a site that just let you buy a deck without having to actually type or search shit. Like, click "G/B infect" and it just adds the cards to your cart.

You kind of can, lol.

Copy the deck list and put it into deckstats. Then hit the "buy on TCGplayer," and it bulk adds the entire deck. God knows how many sellers you'll receive cards from though.

I've legit had that discussion with people.

There should be a giant spinning wheel at the start of every legacy tournament with random staple cards on it. They spin the wheel, and that card gets banned for the tournament. You get 20 minutes to revise your deck before registration.

"And this week, we have banned...Force of Will! Good luck!"

WanderingWind

Crucible, yes. I firmly believe lands and mythics should both be exempt from the suck to show better cards ideology, but the dual color lands serve very real, very important purposes. You need those in 3 color sets so you can play your sweet cards.

Jhriad

Crucible, yes. I firmly believe lands and mythics should both be exempt from the suck to show better cards ideology, but the dual color lands serve very real, very important purposes. You need those in 3 color sets so you can play your sweet cards.

I understand their purpose in limited (and in constructed obviously with non-common lands like pain lands or the temples) but I think we'd be better served with them moving all of that stuff to the land slot exclusively. You could tweak the distribution of non-basic lands simply by adjusting ratios of basic to non-basic lands or, as we saw in Fate, with sets designed to be more than two colors you could remove basic lands entirely from the land slot and fill it with whatever fixing the set has in appropriate ratios. You satisfy the necessary fixing requirements of the various formats and you don't end up with rather annoying packs of 2 common dual lands & a shitty banner. It seems like it would make everyone happier and potentially have the interesting side effect of making some basic lands with nice art actually slightly valuable because they might be less common than the amount we end up with now.

WanderingWind

I see no flaws in your argument, but it's important to note that the common dual lands and banner/mana rocks packs are not normal for Magic, simply because they don't normally have common dual lands. Guildgates were the first (IIRC). So, don't extrapolate to hard because it's just sort of an artifact of how the back-to-back multicolor sets are at this point. They needed to have common dual lands and keyrunes in RtR. The banners are freaking useless though.

kirblar

I understand their purpose in limited (and in constructed obviously with non-common lands like pain lands or the temples) but I think we'd be better served with them moving all of that stuff to the land slot exclusively. You could tweak the distribution of non-basic lands simply by adjusting ratios of basic to non-basic lands or, as we saw in Fate, with sets designed to be more than two colors you could remove basic lands entirely from the land slot and fill it with whatever fixing the set has in appropriate ratios. You satisfy the necessary fixing requirements of the various formats and you don't end up with rather annoying packs of 2 common dual lands & a shitty banner. It seems like it would make everyone happier and potentially have the interesting side effect of making some basic lands with nice art actually slightly valuable because they might be less common than the amount we end up with now.
In the case of a set like KTK, you just won't have enough lands to go around.

OnPoint

There should be a giant spinning wheel at the start of every legacy tournament with random staple cards on it. They spin the wheel, and that card gets banned for the tournament. You get 20 minutes to revise your deck before registration.

That would be the best thing ever.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That could be presented as a game show.

Wheel of Bans, weekday mornings on NBC,

A giant spinning wheel would be a great way to roll up a draft format.

It should just legit be called "Wheel of Morality". Cause half the shit that goes on in Legacy is immoral and degenerate.
The good kind.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So edgy Rakdos instead of party animal Rakdos?

Total downgrade.

Jhriad

In the case of a set like KTK, you just won't have enough lands to go around.

With a set like KTK you could put only the dual lands and tri-lands in the land slot and put the rares in the actual rare slot or something along those lines. All lands don't necessarily have to end up in the land slot for every set and adjustments could be made on a set by set basis. You could adjust it so that only a rarity, rarities, or a specific grouping (fetches, tri-lands, whatever) could end up in the land slot. Using that land slot to filter out more of the lands from the rest of the pack makes cracking a pack a more enjoyable experience for the consumer and, if done with forethought and adjusted for each set/block, would be a better experience overall. I would have to see the numbers on how many lands end up in the average KTK booster to say that it couldn't be adjusted somehow with that land slot to make it play just as consistently in limited.

Firemind

Not everyone can win the jackpot and cracking packs is just that. Otherwise you'd get into a situation like Fate Reforged where almost everyone opens a bomb of some kind.

Oh
en_jMlsLCWBrP.png

It's Witness of the Ages
Handedness still changed

EDIT: Also, to expand on the Sarkhan = Marty and Zurgo = Biff thing, Ugin is Doc and Bolas is THE LIBYANS. Complete with Bolas just leaving and not coming up again in the story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh goody. The final megamorph uncommon tribal dragon was spoiled. It's blue. It has hexproof. *yawn*

This set could not be less interesting to me.

Honestly it just feels like a huge design whiff.

The part that bothers me most is that it feels like the Dragons Matter archetype in draft is going to be a huge unplayable trap.

Angry Grimace

I always think its funny that people frequently judge sets entirely on whatever their constructed power level is.

I tried to convince a guy at my LGS that Theros was a fun (not great or anything) limited environment, but he thought it sucked and basically his reasoning was that Theros was a low power set.

This is the part where I'm obligated to mention yet again that I liked Theros block drafts (and triple Theros) better than anything we've seen in Khans block, or RTR block.

Theros was great.

Crocodile

I always think its funny that people frequently judge sets entirely on whatever their constructed power level is.

I tried to convince a guy at my LGS that Theros was a fun (not great or anything) limited environment, but he thought it sucked and basically his reasoning was that Theros was a low power set.

This seems weird for two reasons -

A) Theros was actually a powerful set with lots of cards that saw play in Standard and Cube. I'm blanking on Modern/Legacy cards but I'm sure some found there way back to those formats too.

B) Most people (the general consensus from what I can tell) who don't like Theros criticize it from its relatively uninteractive, mono-Voltron limited format.

Angry Grimace

This is the part where I'm obligated to mention yet again that I liked Theros block drafts (and triple Theros) better than anything we've seen in Khans block, or RTR block.

Theros was great.

As I've mentioned before, I'm terrible at Khans draft, but I liked triple Khans well enough because it was at least rewarding when you did it right. Adding Fate Reforged is just "here's some mono-colored bombs" hot garbage though.

kirblar

This seems weird for two reasons -

A) Theros was actually a powerful set with lots of cards that saw play in Standard and Cube. I'm blanking on Modern/Legacy cards but I'm sure some found there way back to those formats too.

B) Most people (the general consensus from what I can tell) who don't like Theros criticize it from its relatively uninteractive, mono-Voltron limited format.
The problem with Theros (regardless of how you felt about its limited format) was simple: Theros was boring, uninspired, and was the result of them picking a bunch of low-hanging fruit and taking next to no chances. I have no earthly idea why Rosewater ever thought Tribute would be a good idea- the punisher cards have a very niche audience, and the only good ones were "burn or more burn?"

Theros block taught us that, actually, you don't want mono-black to be a thing. Also, any Standard that pushes you to be mono-colored (of any color) is booooring.

y2dvd

The biggest complaint everyone has at my lgs about drafting is starting with the expansion packs. It doesn't make sense. You should start with the "core", and then move onto the expansion pack just like in most every other games.

The biggest complaint everyone has at my lgs about drafting is starting with the expansion packs. It doesn't make sense. You should start with the "core", and then move onto the expansion pack just like in most every other games.

This change was made because the new draft format with the small set was too similar to the previous one with only large sets, and people were complaining.

Crocodile

The problem with Theros (regardless of how you felt about its limited format) was simple: Theros was boring, uninspired, and was the result of them picking a bunch of low-hanging fruit and taking next to no chances. I have no earthly idea why Rosewater ever thought Tribute would be a good idea- the punisher cards have a very niche audience, and the only good ones were "burn or more burn?"

I don't disagree with this though was it Maro who pushed Tribute? Born of the Gods wasn't his set. I feel like I remember him defending it but then again he defends EVERYTHING, regardless of how obviously bad it is to the eyes of any experienced player :p

I remember Maro devoting a podcast to explaining why Theros block couldn't be like Mirrodin block and I listened to it but honestly I don't remember much of it. I feel like I thought his explanation(s) leaned on the bullshit side and kind of rejected it. Do you remember his rationale(s)?

Maledict

His rationale was basically that enchantments don't have the design space that artifacts do, they already cross over too much on artifacts, and to do what an enchantment block would need would be to upend some of the basic fundamentals of magic that have existed since year dot.

My issue with that is that that is exactly what they did with artifacts. Enchantments are IN such a bad design space currently because Maro pushed artifacts into that area. Equipment and coloured artifacts in particular basically makes enchantments a pointless concept, and nowadays they seem too scared to actually take a risk and do something new with them. They pushed artifacts too far at the cost of enchantments, and seem completely unable to acknowledge the complete screw up they made by doing that in terms of flavour and card type.

(The argument he keeps presenting is that artifacts shouldn't do global effects, that should be what enchantments do - but they can't make that change because too many old cards work like that. Which is the biggest pile of crap ever, given that they have routinely redefined what colours and card types mean to this day, often completely contrary to what has gone before).

Toxi

Banned
Part of the problem was that Bestow was so complex Wizards assumed any more complexity would blow people's minds, so they played things absurdly safe and boring.

Also, the flavor was a miss, which is strange since Jenna Helland was working on it and she nailed the flavor aspect of Innistrad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom