• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
635617153053144864.png

Vial of Dragonfire is as mediocre but useful in limited as expected.

ZfTv3lD.jpg

Eh I think it'll be too slow. You're not going to play this early. Late game, you'll get one turn to play whatever card, but I'm inclined to believe you'll get more card value out of Outpost Siege. G/R might as well run Crater's Claw. Anything R/U might as well run Dig Through Time.

Its just a question of whether its better than Outpost Siege and I don't think it is.

Yeef

anything reason in particular on why I should look for that? I might not even find it on amazon.
To be clear, that's the name of the video game. You can find it on Steam, PSN or XBox Live Arcade. It's a great, hassle-free way to get comfortable with the game.

If you're looking for a good intro paper experience, head to your local gaming store if you can. Wizards of the Coast gives out free decks that retailers can use to teach people to play the game. Then you get to keep those decks, free of charge.

If you're looking for some higher-quality pre-constructed decks, check out the newest Duel Deck (Elspeth vs. Kiora) or the newest Clash Pack from Fate Reforged. Both contain two decks that are balanced to be played against each other out of the box.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To be clear, that's the name of the video game. You can find it on Steam, PSN or XBox Live Arcade. It's a great, hassle-free way to get comfortable with the game.

If you're looking for a good intro paper experience, head to your local gaming store if you can. Wizards of the Coast gives out free decks that retailers can use to teach people to play the game. Then you get to keep those decks, free of charge.

If you're looking for some higher-quality pre-constructed decks, check out the newest Duel Deck (Elspeth vs. Kiora) or the newest Clash Pack from Fate Reforged. Both contain two decks that are balanced to be played against each other out of the box.

I actually think the latest clash pack is not too good for beginners. The last core set one is better if you can find it.

I remember Maro devoting a podcast to explaining why Theros block couldn't be like Mirrodin block and I listened to it but honestly I don't remember much of it. I feel like I thought his explanation(s) leaned on the bullshit side and kind of rejected it. Do you remember his rationale(s)?

Transcript here: http://dtwtranscripts.blogspot.com/2014/10/10314-episode-162-enchantment-world.html

Short version is that it's hard to get enough enchantments in (clearly true just by looking at Theros), enchantments bleed too much into other card types (this I think you can get past), too many colors can't interact at all with artifacts (black/red is just so hosed in this block), and it's hard to make fiddly cards like enchantments work in volume at common for NWO.

There's no evidence to support that a reverse draft order makes for a better drafting experience.

Except... it being a hell of a lot better?

Firemind

The art on Icefall Regent is terrible. It's a Lugia.
Is that cg? Goddamn. That's as bad as syncopate and act on impulse.

Except... it being a hell of a lot better?
It made DGM-GTC-RTR unbalanced since the proper sequence was to pick the GTC guilds in DGM, which made the RTR guilds worse by a fair margin. Three colour decks weren't as desirable as in the original Ravnica block, so it became a bit of a linear mess.

In the case of Theros, a reverse order made some draft archetypes not viable anymore, for example minotaurs. Some pros swear by U/G since it was clearly the best combination in their view. It's more difficult to design and balance a reverse draft order than the chronological order. It shakes things up, sure, but I don't know. R&D looks over a lot of things.

alternade

Myth Realized
W
Enchantment
Rare
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, put a lore counter on ~.
2W: Put a lore counter on ~.
W: Until end of turn, becomes a Monk Avatar creature in addition to its other types and gains "This creature's power and toughness are equal to the number of lore counters on it."

Spoiled on the latest episode of The Eh Team.

This is really powerful. Possibly UW control finisher?

ElyrionX

Myth Realized
W
Enchantment
Rare
W: Until end of turn, becomes a Monk Avatar creature in addition to its other types and gains "This creature's power and toughness are equal to the number of lore counters on it."

Ummmm yeah this seems incredibly powerful. Its a mana dump at instant speed and its resistant to creature removal until you need it and probably have mana to protect it.

G.ZZZ

Not sure why both those draw spells are worse than Braingeyser. Is braingeyser too good nowadays? Didn't we get a functional reprint in like M12. At least they could say "draw" X+1 to keep the double colored aspect (harder to splash).

Also, concentrate 2UU -> draw 3

Braingeyser draw 1 less than the dedicated non x-mana card draw spell aka 2UU Braingeyser draw 2 etc...

Night's Whisper -> draw 2, lose 2.

But BB of this spell draw 0. Ok wotc, is there a reason why you give relevant scaling to blue and not black? Night whisper too good?
cBj1LTf.png

anything reason in particular on why I should look for that? I might not even find it on amazon.

The DotP series are PC games designed as an entry-point to magic. I assume you want actual paper cards, tough (at least that's how I interpreted the question). Sadly I have no clue how good/bad starter decks are.

Socat

I played Magic for the first time today. It was actually pretty fun, now I want a deck. Looking on Amazon, what should I buy?

It really depends on what kind of experience you are after with Magic. If you want to jump into FNM level play, then a clash pack or waiting for the Dragons of Tarkir Event Deck would probably be best. If you are going to primarily be casual and play with friends outside of tournaments, then you may want to look at the Elspeth Vs Kiora Duel Deck and go from there.

Myth Realized
W
Enchantment
Rare

Cute, strongly reminiscent of something from Urza block

Myth Realized
W
Enchantment
Rare

Wow. This seems really good. Also, they found a way to put an Enchantment Creature into this set, haha.

OnPoint

Also Vial of Dragonfire is a worse Aeolipile. You gotta be kidding me. Why even bother teasing it on that one card if it was gonna be utter trash?

Yeef

Also Vial of Dragonfire is a worse Aeolipile. You gotta be kidding me. Why even bother teasing it on that one card if it was gonna be utter trash?
I'm not sure what about Heartpiercer's Bow made you think Vial of Dragonfire would be good. It was pretty clear that the search clause on Renowned Weaponsmith was basically trinket text. It's there for flavor reasons, primarily.

OnPoint

I'm not sure what about Heartpiercer's Bow made you think Vial of Dragonfire would be good. It was pretty clear that the search clause on Renowned Weaponsmith was basically trinket text. It's there for flavor reasons, primarily.

It's a missed opportunity to do something cool. Like, I get your point. The bow was also awful and I should have (and did) see this coming, but I wanted to believe. I always want to believe and they always disappoint with stuff like this lol

It's honestly not that big of a deal. But I just don't get why you'd do something kind of cool like this and kind of mail it in.

Vial of Dragonfire actually isn't terrible in draft (theoretically). I could see a deck that picks up the vials late (essentially for free) and then picks up a weaponsmith in pack three (again, essentially for free).

Of course, if the draft format really is just DARGONS then that might not actually work.

ultron87

Killing (mega)morphs for four mana on the installment plan should makes that relatively playable already in limited. It wasn't ever going to be a Seal of Fire or anything like that. Red still needs to be better at direct damage than colorless.

kirblar

Oh, looked at the name/number crunch again. Confirmed to have no non-basics. I thought they were assuming 20, missed that 269 is the normal set size.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if there are alt-art fetches in the land slot being kept secret. (Ally, of course.)

ultron87

I was hoping the lack of basic reveal was due to something cool like full art lands.

If I could pick I don't really want Zendikar full arts again. We already have those. Let some other plane get some love.

Angry Grimace

Oh, looked at the name/number crunch again. Confirmed to have no non-basics. I thought they were assuming 20, missed that 269 is the normal set size.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if there are alt-art fetches in the land slot being kept secret. (Ally, of course.)

Except DTK is a different block. That would be really confusing at rotation.

Firemind

I was hoping the lack of basic reveal was due to something cool like full art lands.

If I could pick I don't really want Zendikar full arts again. We already have those. Let some other plane get some love.
Does it matter which plane it's from? A forest is a forest.

Though a number of Zendikar lands had those ugly hedrons, yeah.

f0rk

With alive Dragons instead of bodies?

y2dvd

Its just a question of whether its better than Outpost Siege and I don't think it is.[/QUOTE]

[quote="Exokell, post: 155615674"]yeah i misread it, seems like a really good card.[/QUOTE]

With Outpost Siege a card, Commune with Lava is crap. OS gets you a constant "card advantage" and even Khans mode is useful. CL gives you only 1 turn to play maybe a spell or 2 the next turn. Big deal. Again, if you're Jeskai or something, you might as well play Dig Through Time. You'd probably play DTT around the same time you'd play CL, you'd use less mana thanks to delve, you're more likely to search for more cards, and you get 2 cards out of it, and you don't have to exile any cards like you would've with CL. I'm hard pressed to think CL will see any significant play.

[quote="MjFrancis, post: 155647855"][IMG]http://www.mythicspoiler.com/dtk/cards/dromokascommand.jpg
clonelegion.jpg

OoO I do like that command, though it seems more delegated to the sideboard, unless G/W devotion is still a thing and it really wants to mainboard it for the enchantment hate. I guess there's enough R/W or Jeskai aggro going around to mainboard it. I just talked myself into thinking it's mainboardable lol.

ultron87

Does it matter which plane it's from? A forest is a forest.

Though a number of Zendikar lands had those ugly hedrons, yeah.

Forests can look pretty different if you're on the "lands is alive and dangerous" plane, the "it's an entire city" plane, or the "dark shadows actually are full of monsters" plane. And yeah, we've already had full arts with hedrons and the landscape being super dramatic and floaty. So it'd be nice to have some other options, as much as I like most of the Zendikar full arts.

Magic Origins would be a sweet place to do full arts, since they could hit a ton of different planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom