• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

I think I'm going to try cubing Dragonlord Silumgar, seems better than the chaff I have for Dimir (Far//Away or Nightveil Specter or Duskmantle Seer, plus Tezz who won't be leaving ever probably). Boy do I want them to reprint Shadowmage Infiltrator in the new border. :/
(or reprint Psychatog/Baleful Strix in a Modern legal set)

Not a fan of Goryo's Vengeance?

Goryo's only works with Elesh Norn and Griselbrand, I wanted something to reanimate my green and artifact fatties.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand why Tribal isn't a supertype. Why can't Bitterblossom can't have the subtype "Faerie" without the Tribal type and just be "Enchantment - Faerie" and/or why can't it just be a supertype if they want that type of card to ever matter.

Yeef

I don't understand why Tribal isn't a supertype. Why can't Bitterblossom can't have the subtype "Faerie" without the Tribal type and just be "Enchantment - Faerie" and/or why can't it just be a supertype if they want that type of card to ever matter.
Types have to have a unique list of subtypes. Supertypes don't have subtypes. In order for a non-creature spell to have creature subtypes, they needed to make a type that shares all subtypes with creature. And so, Tribal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Types have to have a unique list of subtypes. Supertypes don't have subtypes. In order for a non-creature spell to have creature subtypes, they needed to make a type that shares all subtypes with creature. And so, Tribal.

That sounds super flimsy. I'm not seeing why an Instant can't have a subtype "Goblin." If the problem is really "Changelings can tap for green because Dryad Arbor," just say Forest is a unique type to a land.

Yeef

That sounds super flimsy. I'm not seeing why an Instant can't have a subtype "Goblin."

It's a future-proofing mechanism. If types don't have unique subtypes, you could get things like having a non-land creature with the island subtype and give it the ability to tap for U. Or when they add new subtypes for different types that have rules baggage (like Aura, Equipment, Arcane, etc.) it keeps things nice and neat. Having all changelings be equipment aura arcane gates in addition to all the normal creature types gets messy.

If the problem is really "Changelings can tap for green because Dryad Arbor," just say Forest is a unique type to a land.
That's basically what they do, but with every subtype. "These subtypes are unique to creatures; these ones unique to lands," etc.

It's a future-proofing mechanism. If types don't have unique subtypes, you could get things like having a non-land creature with the island subtype and give it the ability to tap for U. Or when they add new subtypes for different types that have rules baggage (like Aura, Equipment, Arcane, etc.) it keeps things nice and neat. Having all changelings be equipment aura arcane gates in addition to all the normal creature types gets messy.

That's basically what they do, but with every subtype. "These subtypes are unique to creatures; these ones unique to lands," etc.

E7UoNzI.jpg

With an R&D's Secret Lair in play, you can fetch this guy with a Misty Rainforest

ironmang

Was hoping to get some Legacy practice at EE2 for the invitational later this month until my whole car bailed on me. Hate living so far away from mtg society that driving alone is just too expensive. (ya I'm aware some of you live in the far corners of the world but this is my QQ moment)

MjFrancis

Cards I'm looking to get once Dragons of Tarkir comes out:

• Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
  • Collected Company
  • Pitiless Horde
  • Radiant Purge
  • Surrak, the Hunt Caller
  • Zurgo Bellstriker
  • Every Command in the cycle
  • Fat Pack Basic Land set
Not interested in the dragons, but they never interested me to begin with. Still hyped for this set overall.

This will be revised as I pour over the full spoiler, of course.

MjFrancis

en_kvPGmfAdBq.png

I like haste.

securethewastes.jpg

I like Warriors, too. Poor Take up Arms. This is not just strictly better, but vastly so.

en_tw3LW5neJW.png

I could find a spot for him, too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I love that new Pacifism.

Reminiscent of that classic MTG humor.

Okay, this card is really interesting.
en_eVp7XdDYyd.png

No Distortion Strike; instead you get this:
en_mf65WdiGgU.png

More Limited Removal. It looks like they may have gotten the message that the set is going to need reasonable removal options:
en_ycVicvRpYf.png

What a weird card!
en_xZ7J4UHtPJ.png

Now this is a Lava Axe!
en_vMliUVvzkh.png

Hehe. This guy was (mostly) unchanged it seems.
en_b18LbUytdk.png

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Uh. Secure wastes is fucking literally amazeballs insane. Like, that shit is dumb powerful in a set with barely any sweepers. Stupid crazy powerful.

Buying 12 of them brb

Haly

A lot of the "kung fu" art like that Taigam's Strike and Deflecting Palm are just... so uninspired.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155798851]Get bile blighted son[/QUOTE]

Still a one for one card exchange if you do it right and you're still going to have all your mana and all your cards. And if they don't have that one answer? Get rekt'd

Oh, shit. This with Suprise Dragonkiller or whatever with Mastery? lol

OH MAN MONOWHITNING SO HARD

Firemind

rip savannah lions

oh dear I already dreaded the numerous rush of battles in khans. this is two rush of battles in one!

lol

upgraded goblin slide. lsv shall be pleased.

rip distortion strike. taigam sounds like a fat bloke with that mana cost.

err...

black has like a million removal and deathtouch creatures lol.

red has all fragile weenies.

hello, arrow storm 2.0

love the art.

Haly

Sarkhan prefaced his return with a magic goat.

Let that sink in.

I'm struck by the number of cards with simple effects and simple card names. If I didn't know better, I'd say they were planting cards for a core set.

sibarraz

Banned
I don't get bloo chin reager, if the ability is activated, each creature must be blocked be 2 or more creatures if they want to block them?

Zephyr Scribe is absurd.

Anyway, just doing a quick glance at the obvious playables, there's actually quite a bit coming to Standard:

dragonlordojutaic5s9k.jpg
atarkascommand172s5s.jpg
sarkhanunbrokenejsqu.jpg

thunderbreakregent1tysfs.jpg
dragonwhisperer76sml.jpg
roastfksxw.jpg
zurgobellstriker7rsvj.jpg
dragonfoddernsscs.jpg

selfinflictedwoundn4ss4.jpg
duressh9shy.jpg
ultimateprice8msu5.jpg
sidisiundeadvizieru3sox.jpg

displayofdominance1csue.jpg
surrakthehuntcaller2b2s8v.jpg

shorecrasherelemental1xsx7.jpg
anticipategoscp.jpg

surgeofrighteousness5psmy.jpg

Red seems like a huge winner here.

This isn't counting the loads of cards that could go either way, or are in completely new decks. Risen Executioner could be busted in the right shell. Even Living Lore. Damnable Pact. There are a surprising number of borderline playables just waiting to get cracked.

There's also exactly one card in particular that I'm looking at for modern that you might not expect...

MjFrancis

Secure the Wastes end of turn, next turn Launch the Fleet. Viable?

Also, I love the commons and uncommons of this set more than a lot of the rares. This set looks like it will be fun to draft.

sibarraz

Banned
Exactly how that works. Lets a few of your Warriors go unblocked in most cases.

Warior deck got a got buff here in this edition, secure the wastes, blood chin reager, arashin foremost, maybe anafenza, and for the sideboard that card which has protection against dragons and can block them

kirblar

The thing I'm noticing is that aside from the ex-Jeskai, who are still obvious, the visuals for the other factions aren't sticking out as much to me.

Firemind

A version for one mana already exists. Nobody played it.

I don't think I've seen so many 2/x for one mana in one standard block before. And they're all rendered unplayable by sylvan fucking caryatid. :lol

Scale Blessing.. Holy hell I need this for my G/W counters deck. Bolster Phalanx Leader, everyone gets a counter, then an additional counter. Heck, I'm liking a lot of these G/W cardd

I'm reading a lot of good counter/control cards in a sense with all the "Spells cost X more"

Living Lore, if not dealt with, could be nice in a Control Shell. Play a bomb instant, then living lore, have it deal damage, recast that spell without Mana cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom