• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I reworded it so it's more clear:

Imbue X (X, exile this card imbuing it to target creature you control. When the imbued creature dies, its controller may cast this spell without playing its mana cost. Imbue only as a sorcery.)

As a real mechanic, it would probably be overcosted to hell like Cipher. Alternatively, you'd wind up with dull cards like this:

Imbued Inspiration 3UU
Instant
Draw 2 cards.
Imbue 2U

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I see where you're confused.

The spell only gets cast once. Either you cast it from your hand, or you exile it from your hand, target a creature, and if that creature dies you may then cast the spell from exile.

The end result is just a clunky variant on Multikicker (we have a lot of those already actually).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pleaae explain how that's anything like kicker/multi-kicker?

Because you kill a dude, pay a cost so you can then kill another dude, until you run out of mana. What's the game play benefit of templating it like that vs. how Silence the Believers is templated?

Angry Grimace

Oh I see what you're saying, I thought you were saying its an additional cost to play the spell.

Yeah, its just pay for haunt.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Naturalize - Uh, what is that? The Dragon Throne of Tarkir?
:O

en_Uv1acA7ww1.png
Collateral-Damage-Fate-Reforged-Spoiler.png

I love finding these little things.

Angry Grimace

The Dragon Throne of Tarkir is Kolaghan. Kolgahan being alive sort of precludes Naturalize being Kolaghan's skull. Not sure why that Collateral Damage cannon had legs though.

Link
sigmasonicx asked: I really hope that the next reprint of Tormenting Voice features Bolas being bothered by Sarkhan, to complete the cycle.

We’ll keep it in mind. : )

Also, random thought, but something that could work well for an Un-set mechanic would be "Slam -- As you play this card, slam it onto the table. If you do, do X." Super easy to trigger, but it would be a good way to bring energy to an Un-game.

And also, random Un-card:

Valuetown
Land
Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool.
(5), Tap, Sacrifice Valuetown: For the next 5 seconds, reveal the top card of your library, pronounce its name correctly, and then when you do, put it in your hand. Repeat this until time is up.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155849284]Looks like braces to reduce recoil.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a dude blasting out a spicy fart.

Wichu

3-1 at FNM again. I keep losing to Sultai Control. Gotta work on that matchup :(

But at least my deck is glorious. Round one I played against Abzan midrange; my opponent managed to monstrous three Fleecemane Lions and get a Soul of Theros to start gaining ridiculous amounts of life and push through my chump blockers. My response was just durdle durdle durdle durdle Genesis Hydra my deck drop Phenax mill 40 GG

Nobody expects the mill wincon from G/W :p

JulianImp

Also, random thought, but something that could work well for an Un-set mechanic would be "Slam -- As you play this card, slam it onto the table. If you do, do X." Super easy to trigger, but it would be a good way to bring energy to an Un-game.

And also, random Un-card:

Valuetown
Land
Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool.
(5), Tap, Sacrifice Valuetown: For the next 5 seconds, reveal the top card of your library, pronounce its name correctly, and then when you do, put it in your hand. Repeat this until time is up.

Slam sounds like a really fun pseudo-keyword ability for an un-set, even more so if you couple it with other stuff such as:

Stack of Books 2
Artifact
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a book counter on Stack of Books, then look at the top X cards of your library and put them back in any order.
Whenever a player slams a card onto the table, remove all book counters from Stack of Books and shuffle your library.

Sleeping Student 2U
Creature - Human Wizard
Whenever a player slams a card onto the table, you may untap Sleeping Student.
U, T: Draw a card, then discard a card.
Teachers won't complain about it as long as you can tell them the answer they want to hear. - Hanz, tolarian student
1/3

...Sorry for getting sidetracked with custom cards. I can't help it!

I think Tarkir shows that the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor structure is much better than the A B A* structure for this type of block.

The LOR/SHA structure wasn't so hot either. I don't think the problem here is that the format constrained them from making changes, it's that "five wedge clans" is a real theme while "some dragons" is not.

JulianImp

The LOR/SHA structure wasn't so hot either. I don't think the problem here is that the format constrained them from making changes, it's that "five wedge clans" is a real theme while "some dragons" is not.

I was out of the whole Magic business since M15, so I'm a bit bummed that I'm only coming back after the wedge clans set is about to stop being drafted and that they're being replaced by boring two-color clans. At least I'm happy that I can finally use my judge fetches in standard (too bad I don't have any copies of the blue ones, though).

From what I've heard, the RUG faction hasn't been all that good, right? Are there any cards I should consider picking up for playing a deck in those colors, even if it ends up being a crappy one? I think I used to like the morph mana dork when I saw it spoiled somewhere, but that's the only Temur card I remember at all.

kirblar

The issue here is that the new factions aren't different enough, and I think the lack of small/common dragons really hurts the set. I suspect MaRo's "oh only the As-Fan" matters thing is actually going to get proven wrong here and you really do need it at common.
What are you interested in seeing?
Price drops?
The reason for DTK only have 15 basics. ;)

Angry Grimace

Karma for making fun of Gods Beard: 0-3 not counting beating a dude who didn't know how to play. Mostly because I got land and color screwed every game. Unless I flooded. Yeah.

What are you interested in seeing?
Price drops?

Secret illuminati fetchlands, I think. But the real reason is probably because Fare Reforged had basic land and small sets usually don't combined with the fact it's not being drafted alone.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm guessing he's talking about the rumored timeshifted fetches with live dragons, rather than bones. That'd be one hell of a secret squirrel thing though.

kirblar

How many large sets since Shards of Alara have only 15 lands? 1. Innistrad, which had Checklist Cards on the print sheet in the Basic slot. RTR was the only other change, with 25, because they reprinted an OG Rav land.

When they do something highly abnormal like this, it's done for a reason.

Just realized there will be foil versions. Holy crap will those be worth a lot. (The reprinted fetches would essentially be at Mythic Rarity, given the print sheet structure.)

Hero

How many large sets since Shards of Alara have only 15 lands? 1. Innistrad, which had Checklist Cards on the print sheet in the Basic slot. RTR was the only other change, with 25, because they reprinted an OG Rav land.

Just realized there will be foil versions. Holy crap will those be worth a lot. (The reprinted fetches would essentially be at Mythic Rarity, given the print sheet structure.)

Wizards gotta monetize.

Also, agree that 15 basics is way too strange for NO REASON.

They were also super weird about the land question at the PAX panel.

Xis

Avacyn restored also only had 15 basics (to be fair, they were all mirrors of the Innistrad lands).

And Gatecrash technically had zero basic lands.

Angry Grimace

It's just because of the Fate Reforged basics dude.

Angry Grimace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tadiOCUl7s#t=36m

"What are the lands going to be like?"

"Wait and See"

What are they supposed to say?

"There's another bad Dragon land and some basics." Non-answers exist for reasons that aren't hyping up super secret Illuminati fetchlands.

This reminds me of when a friend of mine and I would joke when we would go to Sammy Hagar-fronted Van Halen concerts that Hagar would get sick and David Lee Roth would catch a red-eye flight to sub in for him at the concert.

Grakl

What are they supposed to say?

"There's another bad Dragon land and some basics." Non-answers exist for reasons that aren't hyping up super secret Illuminati fetchlands.

This reminds me of when a friend of mine and I would joke when we would go to Sammy Hagar-fronted Van Halen concerts that Hagar would get sick and David Lee Roth would catch a red-eye flight to sub in for him at the concert.

Bad Dragon lands are the most fun of all the lands.

Managed to 2-0 the first round against a thoughtseize deck, and looking around the room it doesn't seem likely I'll be able to dodge playing against more.

*Prays to the Leyline of Sanctity gods*

Edit:
Round two against another thoughtseize deck :(

Firemind

that channelfireball top 8 dragons smh

shivan dragon, covetous dragon and two-headed dragon got robbed

in other news, i finally won a draft

xkp6yAU.png

i couldn't decide between white and blue so i just played both lol

I should have known, but Abrupt Decay was just not as good as Path to Exile. I wanted extra outs to maindeck blood moons since it seemed like more people were hedging against the BGx decks, but instead I misread the meta and just played nothing but BGx decks. -_-

Two mana suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Deviant Glees were as good as I expected from testing, though. Definitely an upgrade over Madcap for sure. I might still replace them with the new aura from Dragons, though.

If I can't figure out how to beat BGx I'm gonna stop entering modern events. My record against the deck is below 20%. Someone unban Treasure Cruise pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom