• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
securethewastes.jpg

I like Warriors, too. Poor Take up Arms. This is not just strictly better, but vastly so.

I like the idea of this as a one-of in my Soul Sisters deck.

Toxi

Banned
The thing I'm noticing is that aside from the ex-Jeskai, who are still obvious, the visuals for the other factions aren't sticking out as much to me.
Ex-Mardu still look pretty distinct (And those wing banners are neat), everyone else seemed to get more generic.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155812648]Well Rancor is completely busted, but this card is insane. It shores up so many issues with the Bogles deck. In fact, it's so good that I'm sad I can't use it this weekend at the PPTQ.[/QUOTE]

The biggest issue with Bogles is that its Bogles

You guys keep bringing up those cards like the whole reason I play 5 colors isn't to deal with the hate cards.

Blood Moon isn't even the best card against me, it's really slow on the draw unless you're playing Pyretic Ritual or something. And I am capable of playing a second creature for Lili. These are not difficult cards to play around.

What's hard to beat is thoughtseize when I'm on the draw. Or Engineered Explosives. Or fucking goddamn Hibernation. Those are real cards. People cling to their blood moons and lilis because any little opportunity for interaction against a deck so oppressive seems like the gold at the end of the rainbow. Abrupt Decay is the best common maindeck card in the format against bogles, not Blood Moon or Lili.

I'm not sure if I should offload this one LotV I have in the event of an MM2 reprint. I'm sure it won't matter either way. :lol

I'm also slowly getting sucked into tiny leaders. halp

No Innistrad reprints.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not sure if I should offload this one LotV I have in the event of an MM2 reprint. I'm sure it won't matter either way. :lol

I'm also slowly getting sucked into tiny leaders. halp

MM2 only goes up to Scars block.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155814352]You guys keep bringing up those cards like the whole reason I play 5 colors isn't to deal with the hate cards.

Blood Moon isn't even the best card against me, it's really slow on the draw unless you're playing Pyretic Ritual or something. And I am capable of playing a second creature for Lili. These are not difficult cards to play around.

What's hard to beat is thoughtseize when I'm on the draw. Or Engineered Explosives. Or fucking goddamn Hibernation. Those are real cards. People cling to their blood moons and lilis because any little opportunity for interaction against a deck so oppressive seems like the gold at the end of the rainbow. Abrupt Decay is the best common maindeck card in the format against bogles, not Blood Moon or Lili.

[/QUOTE]

We're just trying to be nice. What's actually good against Bogles is every other Modern deck.

MjFrancis

Pretty sure that's one of the reasons Liliana of the Veil (alongside Snapcaster Mage & Geist of Saint Traft) spiked a couple weeks back. No reprint, no new supply. The bannings didn't help either.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I would watch the Gods Beard and Angry Grimace sitcom. One is a high flying power player, the other is a street wise tough just trying to make it big in the pro circuit. One day, the LCS burns down and they have to come together to try to top 8 GP Wisconsin to give the prize money to the adorkable store owner (played by Emma Stone or a close facsimile). Can they put aside their mutual animosity to save the shop? Who will win Vicky's heart? Tune in next week!

I would watch the Gods Beard and Angry Grimace sitcom. One is a high flying power player, the other is a street wise tough just trying to make it big in the pro circuit. One day, the LCS burns down and they have to come together to try to top 8 GP Wisconsin to give the prize money to the adorkable store owner (played by Emma Stone or a close facsimile). Can they put aside their mutual animosity to save the shop? Who will win Vicky's heart? Tune in next week!

Much like Butch and Marcellus in Pulp Fiction, they finally reach a mutual understanding after triumphing over adversity together.

And agree to never be in the same city ever again.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In this fictional world, is 2HG a sanctioned tournament format?

That's the only way I can see it working. They have to learn a lesson in trust by relying on each others' deckbuilding.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155814352]You guys keep bringing up those cards like the whole reason I play 5 colors isn't to deal with the hate cards.

What's hard to beat is thoughtseize when I'm on the draw. Or Engineered Explosives. Or fucking goddamn Hibernation. Those are real cards. People cling to their blood moons and lilis because any little opportunity for interaction against a deck so oppressive seems like the gold at the end of the rainbow. Abrupt Decay is the best common maindeck card in the format against bogles, not Blood Moon or Lili.[/QUOTE]
What about turn one chalice for one?

ElyrionX

I'm not sure who is who here. Am I the only one?

Do planeswalker points do anything? I finally got one of my two main DCI numbers working on my account but I guess I don't get any of the points?

It looks like I got 857 Planeswalker points on this account in the last 15 months that it covers, but I'm still level 1. I should have over a thousand once I combine my two accounts, which puts me in the low 30s at Invoker?

This account has all of my events outside of SF and pptqs and such, but I guess it's not the DCI# at my main LGS because none of the events are in my history.

So does it matter if I get any of this stuff?

Angry Grimace

In this fictional world, is 2HG a sanctioned tournament format?

That's the only way I can see it working. They have to learn a lesson in trust by relying on each others' deckbuilding.

Apparently its a Team Sealed event.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155819368]How many do you need?[/QUOTE]

Last I checked, 1,300 for one and 2,250 for a second.

Haly

Who's the third though?

Is it that adorkable (this is literally the worst word) store owner?

Angry Grimace

Who's the third though?

Is it that adorkable (this is literally the worst word) store owner?

That's just a code word for "girl who is too attractive to be slumming it at the LGS"

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Exploit is definitely the wasted keyword of the block. There is always one. I really think they would be better off shooting for say, 3 really well crafted mechanics rather than a bunch of half-assed ones. Sure, they don't want the mechanics to be the decks every block, but is the game really better with Tribute, Inspired and Exploit?* in it?

ultron87

I think exploit should play okay in draft. There are a decent number of playable cards with death triggers you can use to combo it with. Who doesn't want to live the dream of playing a Vulturous Aven, exploiting a Youthful Scholar and drawing 4 cards?

Dragon Hunter - Kind of odd that it's so small, but I guess it hunts in a group. Also, "can block X as though it had reach" is not something I expected to see on a new card.

Dromoka Captain - This maybe looks like it could be good in Limited.

Glaring Aegis - Wow, not only a bigger toughness boost than Holy Strength, but it provides an extra effect. And it's common! Could this possibly be played with AssForm (Assault Formation)?

Herald of Dromoka - Nice to see that Herald of Anafenza is still getting work. This card seems better, too.

Pacifism - Nice to see the tradition of great flavor text continues.

Ancient Carp - This card has interesting art.

Blessed Reincarnation - Oh hey, Polymorph with rebound! Albeit one that only affects your opponent's creatures.

Dance of the Skywise - Version on Mothership is down and I can't see Mythic Spoiler at work, so I guess I'll have to take this image from Magic Spoiler. Anyway, I really like this effect.

Glint - It's strange to see a single common word name given to this spell. Plus, the flavor is odd. The jewels blind opponents?

Living Lore - As others have noted, this is a neat ability.

Profaner of the Dead - This seems pretty good, and even if you just sacrifice itself, it could potentially lead to a blowout.

Reduce in Stature - Another effect I like in blue. Plus, it's sort of a color shifted Sorceress Queen ability.

Sight Beyond Sight - Sword of Omens! Give me Sight Beyond Sight!

Silumgar Sorcerer - This looks really good. I'll be surprised if it sees no constructed play. EDIT: Oh, creature spell, never mind then.

Taigam's Strike - Well, Distortion Strike always did come off as way too powerful in my mind.

Ambuscade Shaman - This seems like a good Dash lord.

Blood-Chin Rager - I'm surprised to see this effect in black. Still, this looks pretty good. It'd be good even if it just gave the double headed ability to itself.

Coat with Venom - It's about time they printed a black deathtouch spell that gave no other keywords.

Deadly Wanderings - I do question the inclusion of an enchantment that evokes the loners theme of Avacyn Restored.

Defeat - I'm really surprised to see this actually be used as a card name, especially when it's not a universal kill spell.

Flatten - Jeez, a lot of one common word names in this set.

Rakshasa Gravecaller - This looks pretty good.

Shambling Goblin - At first I wondered why they didn't reprint Festering Goblin, but I noticed that the latter could result in you having to weaken one of your own creatures.

Atarka Efreet - Am I crazy, or is this really really good in limited?

Hardened Berserker - This is a neat way to have red mana acceleration.

Kolaghan Forerunners - This is a neat ability. If you control 5 other creatures, this is stronger than Ball Lightning.

Sarkhan's Rage - "Woooo, dragons! Wait, no dragons?! Augh! *punch*" This is quite good. Might it even see constructed play?

Summit Prowler - Oh hey, they did repeat cards from Khans after all! Surprised that they chose this one, though. Since the flavor text shows that they are now considered prime meat, I'm surprised they're still common.

Tormented Voice - Jeez, as soon as Sarkhan gets rid of his Tormenting Voice, Ugin gets his own! I'll be really disappointed if we don't get a reprint of Tormenting Voice with Bolas being bothered by Sarkhan.

Vandalize - Hmm, one or both? This might even see limited play, then, especially if your opponent is running a mana rock.

Circle of Elders - Nice to see vigilance and a mana ability combined in green. And a formidable ability that doesn't also require a bunch of mana to activate.

Conifer Strider - Potentially good in limited?

Explosive Vegetation - Didn't someone here really want this card to be reprinted? Or was that on another board I visit?

Inspiring Call - This seems quite good. Even if you use it to protect one creature from a single kill spell, that's card advantage right there.

Naturalize - Uh, what is that? The Dragon Throne of Tarkir?

Obscuring Aether - Well, this is going right into my Temur morph deck.

Servant of the Scale - Modular! Surprised to see this at common, given the amount of text.

Keeper of the Lens - Hmm, might this actually be playable in limited now?

kirblar

I think Tarkir shows that the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor structure is much better than the A B A* structure for this type of block. It feels like a set that wanted to make more radical changes, but couldn't. (xposted from twitter)

The Adder

Banned
How good/poor would a mechanic something like

Attachable Downfall
1BB
Destroy target creature or Plansewalker
Imbue B (If you pay its imbue cost, you may exile this card from your hand. When target creature dies you may cast this spell from exile once before the start of the next upkeep without paying its cost.)

be, assuming it hasn't been done already.

ultron87

I don't understand what that is supposed to do.

Do you mean you pay 1BBB and get to double cast the spell, or do you pay B, put it under a creature, and get to cast it when that guy dies?

Angry Grimace

How good/poor would a mechanic something like

Attachable Downfall
1BB
Imbue B (If you pay its imbue cost, you may exile this card from your hand. When target creature dies you may cast this spell from exile once before the start of the next upkeep without paying its cost.)

be, assuming it hasn't been done already.

You're asking if strictly better than Hero's Downfall would be good.

kirblar

Same issues haunt had. Not really viable. (Haunt needed to essentially change the cards into permanent auras on death, not add a trigger.)

Haly

It would lead to very strange board states where neither side wants to attack (or defend) for fear of triggering the other side's imbues.

Angry Grimace

1BBB - Destroy 2 target creatures or planeswalkers is also undercosted, particularly when that's not even what it is. Its destroy 2 of them, but you can save one of the destruction spells for later.

The Adder

Banned
You're asking if strictly better than Hero's Downfall would be good.

I'm asking about the mechanic, not the card.

Same issues haunt had. Not really viable. (Haunt needed to essentially change the cards into permanent auras on death, not add a trigger.)

How so?

It would lead to very strange board states where neither side wants to attack (or defend) for fear of triggering the other side's imbues.

So a fix to that in part is "Imbue only at sorcery speed."

The fix for the other part would be cards like

"If a card is cast from exile, copy it. You may choose a new target," or "Spells cannot be cast from exile this turn" in the environment.

Angry Grimace

I'm asking about the mechanic, not the card.

How so?

A thing happens, and you have to remember what's haunting and what the haunt does until the trigger actually happens (which could be now or 10 turns from now).

The Adder

Banned
A thing happens, and you have to remember what's haunting and what the haunt does until the trigger actually happens (which could be now or 10 turns from now).

Put it under the card like you do with other cards that exile cards that can come back (Ashiok, O Ring, etc). At least in regards to this one. Wasn't around for haunt.

Angry Grimace

Put it under the card like you do with other cards that exile cards that can come back (Ashiok, O Ring, etc). At least in regards to this one. Wasn't around for haunt.

The mechanic is just paying Kicker for Rebound anyways. I mean, I guess its fine, it would probably have to be costed like 1BB, 1BB for both the spell and the rebound.

The Adder

Banned
The mechanic is just paying Kicker for Rebound anyways. I mean, I guess its fine, it would probably have to be costed like 1BB, 1BB for both the spell and the rebound.

I see where you're confused.

The spell only gets cast once. Either you cast it from your hand, or you exile it from your hand, target a creature, and if that creature dies you may then cast the spell from exile.

I see where you're confused.

The spell only gets cast once. Either you cast it from your hand, or you exile it from your hand, target a creature, and if that creature dies you may then cast the spell from exile.

Oh, in that case, it may be better worded as this:

Attachable Downfall - 1BB
Sorcery (to make it a bit more reasonable)
Imbue B (If you pay its imbue cost, you may exile this card from your hand imbuing target creature. Until the start of your next upkeep, when that creature dies, you may cast this spell from exile.)

Not that interesting of an ability, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom