• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

I mean, they've said that their collation has gotten better in the last five years and that the machine-readable frame makes it even better, so I have to imagine it's much closer now than it was for ISD.

Now I just want to see them start using them more often. There are probably a lot of sets where having DFCs available would be beneficial.

Looks like this is why they needed the machine-readable type.

I don't think DFCs were the sole driver of the readable type at all, but I do imagine they pretty easily made the difference between DFCs being a pain and being a mild inconvenience to include in a set.

bigkrev

CAGWrQsUwAA1jJr.jpg

Someone destroyed something beautiful :(

Meffer

So I'm a newbie to Magic and just got my 2015 core set deck builder kit and fat pack. Got some good draws like some foils and three planeswalkers. Nissa, Worldwaker; Chandra, Pyromaster and the one I think made my purchase: Garruk, Apex Predator. This guy is a goddamn beast from what my greenhorn mind can muster. Guess I'll be making and Green/Black deck around him.

So I'm a newbie to Magic and just got my 2015 core set deck builder kit and fat pack. Got some good draws like some foils and three planeswalkers. Nissa, Worldwaker; Chandra, Pyromaster and the one I think made my purchase: Garruk, Apex Predator. This guy is a goddamn beast from what my greenhorn mind can muster. Guess I'll be making and Green/Black deck around him.

It's taken almost 9 months for someone to find a place for him in a tier 1 deck.

OnPoint

Build around the cards you think are sweet right now, Meffer. And Garruk isn't bad. He's awesome, but he's pricey, and you'll learn if that does or doesn't work for you by doing it. You got some awesome pulls either way.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, I second that Meffer. Even all the seasoned players in this thread are often wrong about cards. Take, for instance, Soulfire Grand Master, a card that we had several discussions about. I thought it was sweet, then realized it would never work in Modern, others here just said it straight sucked. Yet, it's seeing a ton of play this weekend in the major tournaments. Conversely, I was convinced, absolutely convinced that Ruric Thar (a massive creature from the Return to Ravnica block) was going to tear up standard. It got roughly zero real play.

If you think Garruk is sweet, then play with Garruk and MAKE him fucking sweet. Don't let all us jaded haters get in your way.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
CAGWrQsUwAA1jJr.jpg

Someone destroyed something beautiful :(

Why? ;-;

Willingly damaging hugely expensive cards on the reserved list because you think 'it looks good' is already supremely shitty, but this just takes it to the next level. At the very least, most alters somewhat respect the card art by simply being extensions of that art or by creatively incorporating new elements without making it clash with the art... This has none of that. This is like buying a first edition The Great Gatsby and drawing a dickbutt on every page.

If there was ever a reason for Wizards to come out and kill the reserved list, this would be it.

ElyrionX

Yeah, I second that Meffer. Even all the seasoned players in this thread are often wrong about cards. Take, for instance, Soulfire Grand Master, a card that we had several discussions about. I thought it was sweet, then realized it would never work in Modern, others here just said it straight sucked. Yet, it's seeing a ton of play this weekend in the major tournaments. Conversely, I was convinced, absolutely convinced that Ruric Thar (a massive creature from the Return to Ravnica block) was going to tear up standard. It got roughly zero real play.

If you think Garruk is sweet, then play with Garruk and MAKE him fucking sweet. Don't let all us jaded haters get in your way.

Wait what. Soulfire is seeing play?

ElyrionX

Yup. Turns out a 2 drop that lets you gain life doing what you want to be doing anyway is alright. It's not a 4 of, but it's slotted in several Jeskai builds.

Interesting. I was in the camp that thought it would be amazing in Modern Jeskai builds right from the start and thought it might spike during PT.

kirblar

Yup. Turns out a 2 drop that lets you gain life doing what you want to be doing anyway is alright. It's not a 4 of, but it's slotted in several Jeskai builds.
It's a niche roleplayer that specifically works well with recurring Stoke in the late game. The reason people were saying it sucked was that many were thinking "oh man this is a 4x staple" which it blatantly obviously was not because the card is hugely mana intensive.

This is important, because people were going nutty with preordering, where paying a large amount for the card would have been a very bad idea.

ElyrionX

It's a niche roleplayer that specifically works well with recurring Stoke in the late game. The reason people were saying it sucked was that many were thinking "oh man this is a 4x staple" which it blatantly obviously was not because the card is hugely mana intensive.

This is important, because people were going nutty with preordering, where paying a large amount for the card would have been a very bad idea.

Oh, so we are talking about Standard here?

WanderingWind

I dunno about modern, tbh. I tested it out and it's just too tasty of a target for Path or Decay. Because once they see you drop that, they know they'll have few other targets. I was trying it out more in R/W burn shells. I think with Jeskai in modern you'd still rather be in delver/geist shells and I can't find a good enough cut in either of those decks to fit Grand Master.

It's not mana intensive because the third mode on him might as well not exist for purposes of playing him. I have yet to see that be activated even once. You're playing him to turn your Stokes and whatnot into lifegain to shore up one of the great weaknesses of burn heavy strategies.

bigkrev

Don't know how new this is, but I'm a big fan of the "Turbo catch up" they are using on the official stream, where they play the game in fast forward when jumping to a game in progress before taking you live to the game. Gives context for whats going on

kirblar

You still aren't dropping him without a lot of open mana on the table regardless. The difference between 2-3x SB roleplayer and 4x staple is huge for the price.

Firemind

Ben Stark played four grand masters in his R/W midrange deck that reached the finals.

The thing is your opponent HAS to deal with the grand master in the late game, so drawing more than one copy isn't redundant if your game plan is to let the game go long.

kirblar

Ben Stark played four grand masters in his R/W midrange deck that reached the finals.

The thing is your opponent HAS to deal with the grand master in the late game, so drawing more than one copy isn't redundant if your game plan is to let the game go long.
He's also drawing two cards a turn in that deck (or more) so he's always going to have the mana for it eventually. :p

WanderingWind

SCG stream. Guy was sitting at 10-0 playing a 9-1, had to mull down to 3-4 and huffed off barely even packing his shit.

EDIT: lol Sing it with me "Caaaaaan you feeeeel the salllllt toniiiight"

ironmang

I just watched both. Thought I was going to say the pro looked worse but I've never been a fan of the winner throwing their hand out soon as the match ends. The guy on the SCG stream looked really bad lol. I don't know if he's a grinder or whatever but I doubt they'll be putting him on stream much after this tournament.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I saw LSV playing 4 of them in a stream the other day.

Willingly damaging hugely expensive cards on the reserved list because you think 'it looks good' is already supremely shitty

I mean... "damage" is relative here. A large part of the value in power is in their actual play value, which doesn't change at all from an alter. The real problem isn't that they're destroying something irreplaceable, because they're not -- it's that they have offensively hideous taste or (more likely) that they're doing something offensively hideous as a trollish provocation.

Personally I don't have any problem at all with power alters -- especially when, as is usually the case, they're done on beat-up Unlimited cards -- and I think dumb pop culture alters are awful on cheap cards too, so.

Meffer

Thanks, I got into this recently because I never did before. I'm in for the fun. I'll see what I can do with this deck.

inthrall

Speaking of soulfire, I managed to resolve arcbond on one (with buyback) to wrath the board and gain 35 life at the sealed GP last weekend. Feels good man dot jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom