• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

EYEL1NER

I'm kind of bummed that Soulfire Grand master is turning out so good. I know that the best way to get specific cards is not from buying product but from buying them as singles but I got a ton of sealed FTR product in: six intro packs, 18 single boosters, the clash pack, and a fat pack. Opened almost everything but the intro packs and then got to those. Popped open the undated packaging and withdrew the two boosters. Opened one undated pack and then saw that the second pack had a chunk of foil missing out of the side. Upon opening it I saw that the top three cards had deep groves running down the front of them, not cuts but marks that ran through all three cards. There was a deep gouge out of the side of all the cards, like a handler or something from some machinery had dug into the cards. I ended up drawing a foil Grand Master from that.

I could buy a single pretty easily if I wanted it but it was a downer to draw one and have it be damaged. Especially since I didn't draw much of anything good out of everything I opened.

Lucario

Lq3uxlO.jpg

taylor swiftspear playset

I'm kind of bummed that Soulfire Grand master is turning out so good. I know that the best way to get specific cards is not from buying product but from buying them as singles but I got a ton of sealed FTR product in: six intro packs, 18 single boosters, the clash pack, and a fat pack. Opened almost everything but the intro packs and then got to those. Popped open the undated packaging and withdrew the two boosters. Opened one undated pack and then saw that the second pack had a chunk of foil missing out of the side. Upon opening it I saw that the top three cards had deep groves running down the front of them, not cuts but marks that ran through all three cards. There was a deep gouge out of the side of all the cards, like a handler or something from some machinery had dug into the cards. I ended up drawing a foil Grand Master from that.

I could buy a single pretty easily if I wanted it but it was a downer to draw one and have it be damaged. Especially since I didn't draw much of anything good out of everything I opened.

If the card isn't damaged in one of those cool ways that makes it more desirable to collectors, you can contact WotC Customer Service and they'll replace it for you.

Joe Molotov

Someone cracked a pack of Khans during a draft where half the cards weren't printed correctly. The colors were all messed up and they were missing mana symbols. People played them anyway, it was pretty funny. The rare was a Kheru Lich Lord iirc, so no big loss there.

OnPoint

Someone cracked a pack of Khans during a draft where half the cards weren't printed correctly. The colors were all messed up and they were missing mana symbols. People played them anyway, it was pretty funny. The rare was a Kheru Lich Lord iirc, so no big loss there.
So jealous I love messed up cards

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Super happy to see my friend Jake Mondello in the finals of for GP Cleveland. Take it down!

He might be your buddy but that handshake, man...tough loss though, I'd be salty as fuck if my opponent Act of Treason'd my Tusker and then forced my other dude to trade him too.

Firemind

That was an awesome final. First the humble deflecting back and forth and then the Act of Treason blowout. GET REKT SON. That was almost as bad as the way Yuuya lost.

He might be your buddy but that handshake, man...tough loss though, I'd be salty as fuck if my opponent Act of Treason'd my Tusker and then forced my other dude to trade him too.
He misplayed that. Should have offered the trade.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That was an awesome final. First the humble deflecting back and forth and then the Act of Treason blowout. GET REKT SON. That was almost as bad as the way Yuuya lost.

He misplayed that. Should have offered the trade.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Firemind

He played Dragonscale Boon on the Highland Game to save it from a goblin token. What he should have done is let it die. He should have known he's up against a deck that plays Act of Treasons. When you only have Avalanche Tusker in play, at a high life total, Act of Treason isn't so scary.

Bandini

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156055549]This JB dude gives me faith in magic.[/QUOTE]

He did play some very interesting lines. I'm not sure I ever thought to pass turn with 3 of 3 lands untapped in a monored deck.

kirblar

LSV thinks the Tusker should have left the deck after G1..

MM2 is the more likely spot for the WWK man lands.

red13th

Zendikar 2 with enemy fetches and enemy manlands will be weird right after Khans.
There are two cards I need for my cube that can't be reprinted in MM15, one of them is stupid Liliana of the Veil that I fucking hate right now for exploding in price (the other is Voice of Resurgence which I haven't bought yet because it's almost $20 and I'm not really sure if I want it in). The other 29 missing cards have a shot of being in MM15, two of them actually are, Karn and Goyf. I can't wait for MM15.

Angry Grimace

Zendikar 2 with enemy fetches and enemy manlands will be weird right after Khans.
There are two cards I need for my cube that can't be reprinted in MM15, one of them is stupid Liliana of the Veil that I fucking hate right now for exploding in price (the other is Voice of Resurgence which I haven't bought yet because it's almost $20 and I'm not really sure if I want it in). The other 29 missing cards have a shot of being in MM15, two of them actually are, Karn and Goyf. I can't wait for MM15.

300 dollar boxes tho

kirblar

There were 15 total nonbasics in OG Zendikar block at rare spanning 3 cycles. I would think Fetches set 1, Enemy Manlands set 2 would be likely.

I could see them focusing Zendikar on enemy colors this time as Origins/DTK are likely to be allied-heavy.

Angry Grimace

Wasn't Zendikar supposed to be like the "land matters" block? (and then it was just landfall shenanigans)

Angry Grimace

Yeah. There's not a ton you can do there- the Eldrazi being around this time will help a lot with getting away from that.

Landfall seems like it would be a dumb limited mechanic. I wasn't playing then but it seems like playing lands is a thing you do anyways and your opponent can't play land when you're attacking or anything.

kirblar

Landfall seems like it would be a dumb limited mechanic. I wasn't playing then but it seems like playing lands is a thing you do anyways and your opponent can't play land when you're attacking or anything.
It was a problem in that they didn't push defensive cards enough to fight against the mechanic and so it was a format only consisting of aggro decks until WWK arrived. If you opened a bomb rare, you just Hearthstone'd it and slammed it into your 18-land aggro deck as a 7-drop.

Angry Grimace

I haven't done Rise of the Eldrazi, but there's a flashback draft with it coming up this week, so I'll give it a shot. Not really sure how to do it though.

OnPoint

You really think they'll do three 5-land cycles in BFZ? I guess it's possible. I wouldn't be shocked to see them do ZEN fetches in one and enemy manlands in the next set, honestly, and split them up that way.

Edit: My reading comp. is bad tonight. You said that, Kirb. Ugh.

But everyone will get all angry if the enemy lands aren't Zendikar fetchland reprints.

It's a Zendikar block, there's gonna be 35+ nonbasics in it again. You put fetches in one set with a different allied cycle and then manlands in the other.

I haven't done Rise of the Eldrazi, but there's a flashback draft with it coming up this week, so I'll give it a shot. Not really sure how to do it though.

Bears and small aggro creatures are bad, walls and Eldrazi Spawns are good.

You really think they'll do three 5-land cycles in BFZ? I guess it's possible.

The first time around they had an enemy land cycle, two ally land cycles, a mono "legendary" land cycle, and two common "spell-land" cycles, plus random assorted other stuff.

Joe Molotov

They should do an all-lands expansion. Like, just nothing but lands all up in that bitch, every combinations and every ETB effect imaginable. Creature lands, land spells, planeswalker lands, just lands for fucking days. Someone get this to Mark Rosewater.

red13th

They should do an all-lands expansion. Like, just nothing but lands all up in that bitch, every combinations and every ETB effect imaginable. Creature lands, land spells, planeswalker lands, just lands for fucking days. Someone get this to Mark Rosewater.

they could bring back Storm in that expansion.

OnPoint

An all-lands set is the only way I could see them printing any kind of new, decent land destruction. On second thought, no way. It would be like horribly parasitic.

Stinkhole 2BB

Sorcery

Destoy target land an opponent
controls. This spell costs 2 less
if that opponent has no non-
land permanents on the
battlefield.

On a similar topic, it's been mentioned I believe in Blogatog that River of Tears is considered too confusing for it to be made into a full cycle. Perhaps something like this could work as a variant:

New River of Tears
Land
Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool.
Landfall -- Tap: Add U or B to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if land entered the battlefield under your control this turn. (You may activate this ability when this land enters the battlefield.)

Zocano

Oh, hey. Liliana really did explode in price.

Is it a good time to off load her with MM2 around the corner?

edit: Or will they fuck up MM2 like they did MM1 and we'll see every one of those mythics explode in price.

edit: Or will they fuck up MM2 like they did MM1 and we'll see every one of those mythics explode in price.

Modern Masters 2015 will only cover up through New Phyrexia. There won't be any cards first printed in Innistrad and beyond, so Liliana of the Veil won't be in it.

Angry Grimace

On a similar topic, it's been mentioned I believe in Blogatog that River of Tears is considered too confusing for it to be made into a full cycle. Perhaps something like this could work as a variant:

New River of Tears
Land
Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool.
Landfall -- Tap: Add U or B to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if land entered the battlefield under your control this turn. (You may activate this ability when this land enters the battlefield.)

That seems kind of bad for fixing your mana though.

Landfall doesn't seem like it was really all that popular though; do we really think its coming back?

ElyrionX

They will probably fuck it up.

Wizards need to have more aggressive reprint policies. Like the moment a card hits $50, it goes into the next Duel deck or Commander product or whatever.

Watch them fuck it up so bad they end up running out of cards at the Modern Masters GPs.

Zocano

They will probably fuck it up.

Wizards need to have more aggressive reprint policies. Like the moment a card hits $50, it goes into the next Duel deck or Commander product or whatever.

But collectors and their expensive cards! Think of the man-children!

I like that they do that with some of the planeswalkers but their attempt to make Modern Masters the "way into modern" is really pathetic and sad.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Guys, remember that LotV was almost reprinted recently. They swapped it out for crappy Lili due to the unexpected dominance of mono-black devotion. It's probably in a soon to happen set or supplemental product. As a dude who wants a playset of one of the most powerful cards in modern, I'm mad. As a dude who was fucking sick of MBD, LotV would have made standard pretty much unplayable. They made the right call there.

Now, MMA2 having an arbitrary cut off date for reprints...well, that is just fucking dumb. WotC is just super fond of setting their own arbitrary rules that always seem to end up going wrong. From there having to be a cycle that all arbitrarily had to be at the same rarity resulting in Tandris/VoR, to dragons all have to be the same thing, but with different spells stapled to them, it's basically their entire business model.

Guys, remember that LotV was almost reprinted recently. They swapped it out for crappy Lili due to the unexpected dominance of mono-black devotion. It's probably in a soon to happen set or supplemental product. As a dude who wants a playset of one of the most powerful cards in modern, I'm mad. As a dude who was fucking sick of MBD, LotV would have made standard pretty much unplayable. They made the right call there.

Now, MMA2 having an arbitrary cut off date for reprints...well, that is just fucking dumb. WotC is just super fond of setting their own arbitrary rules that always seem to end up going wrong. From there having to be a cycle that all arbitrarily had to be at the same rarity resulting in Tandris/VoR, to dragons all have to be the same thing, but with different spells stapled to them, it's basically their entire business model.

I'm pretty sure that Damnation was also going to be in Theros or M15 before they realized how bad Mono-Black. It was such an obvious miss from MMA1.0.

OnPoint

Gotta cut it off somewhere, and where they chose makes sense. It's not like they made it a secret, and Liliana didn't jump in price until way after they announced the cutoff. If people wanted her at 50-60, there was ample time between the reveal of included sets and her jump to have done so.

red13th

she actually exploded when Liliana, Heretical Healer was spoiled. I know because I was closely keeping track of her price, heh.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Gotta cut it off somewhere,

Actually, my point is that they don't. There is no reason to set a hard block to reprint stuff from in MM2. If they felt LotV didn't fit the draft environment, or that a reprint isn't necessary, those would be non-arbitrary reasons. Just saying "Hey we're not going to print anything from X point on because we said so" is the definition of arbitrary.

OnPoint

Seems that people were hoping for a reprint on Origins, then? I guess that makes sense, at least before we knew what Origins was.

Actually, my point is that they don't. There is no reason to set a hard block to reprint stuff from in MM2. If they felt LotV didn't fit the draft environment, or that a reprint isn't necessary, those would be non-arbitrary reasons. Just saying "Hey we're not going to print anything from X point on because we said so" is the definition of arbitrary.

I don't believe it was arbitrary. I believe it was a heavily calculated move. And I think this for a couple reasons. Firstly, they're still trying to avoid a Chronicles situation so giving a clear line of cut for the secondary market (which they say they don't care about, but they do) avoids blindsiding people (i.e. collectors and vendors) with piles of soon to be less-expensive staples (potentially, of course. MM1 proved that's not the case). What happened with Mox Opal since the announcement? That should be a pretty good indicator of what would have happened with Lili should she have been included here. Secondly, they have to save stuff for MM2, which we probably won't see for a couple of years. This one is already getting Karn and Opal, not to mention maybe Swords from either block they were in it, so they probably already have a bunch of slots filled, esp with Goyf and probably Clique coming back. We might even see UB Tezzeret here. I would expect to see INN block, RTR block, and maybe Theros block added to the next one, though Theros might be in the INN situation here and not make the cut off. It's only one set, and they only have so much room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom