• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
idk I wanted something Timmier. Didn't someone here say that they have a Prime Speaker Zegana deck? She seems super Timmy. MagicGAF help me.

Do you want TIMMY SMASH or win-from-nowhere-because-you-have-infinite-mana-and-can-draw-your-deck?

My Prime Speaker Zegana deck is more the latter (I think this is its current configuration; I haven't pulled it out in a couple of months):

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-06-14-prime-speaker-edh/

It still has some sub-optimal cards in it; I built it mostly from scrounging out of the junk drawers from my friends, opening good stuff during Theros drafts, or trading for a few other pieces. But this thing is remarkably effective (albeit not really very good at surviving early aggression; it banks the fact that most players like their games to go long). It usually wins by blinking Palinchron for infinite mana (either with Deadeye Navigator or Ghostly Flicker + Mnemonic Wall), followed by blinking Prime Speaker until you draw Capsize, then Capsize the board. If they don't scoop, either win with Lab Maniac (the quick way) or attack them to death.

I've also, just for kicks, built an trillion/trillion Polukranos before and wiped the entire board. That was cool.

Toxi

Banned
If you're looking for a fun EDH commander, don't use Captain Sisay. Tutor generals are extremely boring to play because they play the same each game with little variation. There's always an optimal set-up.

Tutors in general are fine outside of a few like Goblin Recruiter, but tutor generals just aren't very fun to use.
looks like /r/magictcg hates Tiny Leaders, I kind of do too.
I like some format variants like Pauper EDH, but Tiny Leaders sucks. The entire idea of the format is stupidly restrictive to the type of deck you can play.

Firemind

Pauper EDH? How does that even work? Most legendaries are rare.

2-1. I bring shame upon ye, my lord kiln fiend. I now must commit sudoku to repent my sin.
To be fair, I didn't draw enough kiln fiends! Instead I drew those damned crabs every game. :lol

red13th

Great suggestions. divisonbyzorro, your Zegana deck looks great.
Building a EDH deck will be my goal after I get the last few cards for my cube.

If you're looking for a fun EDH commander, don't use Captain Sisay. Tutor generals are extremely boring to play because they play the same each game with little variation. There's always an optimal set-up.

I like some format variants like Pauper EDH, but Tiny Leaders sucks. The entire idea of the format is stupidly restrictive to the type of deck you can play.

wait pauper EDH? how would that even work?

EDIT: lol Firemind and I posted at the same time. :p

Toxi

Banned
wait pauper EDH? how would that even work?

EDIT: lol Firemind and I posted at the same time. :p
Pauper EDH? How does that even work? Most legendaries are rare.
General is any uncommon creature (not just legendary), deck is made of commons otherwise. It used to be a lot more popular, but I still have fun with the decks I built.

Biggest problem was that there were some obvious staples like Capsize.

General is any uncommon creature (not just legendary), deck is made of commons otherwise. It used to be a lot more popular, but I still have fun with the decks I built.

Biggest problem was that there were some obvious staples like Capsize.

Finally, a format for my Psychatogs.

OnPoint

Tutors in general are fine outside of a few like Goblin Recruiter, but tutor generals just aren't very fun to use.

This is true. I built one and it was not fun for people to play against. Wasn't that fun to pilot either if I'm being honest.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Over the course of limited and packs here and there, I've opened at least 7 Zurgo Helmsmashers. Unlike FRF, I never even bought a box of Khans.

I found a Zurgo Helmsmasher in the cushions of my couch the other day, no joke.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wizards should let you mail them in for Bellringers, since Helmsmasher doesn't exist anymore.

In the next expansion, Zurgo will find the sports almanac in the first "travel to the future" set, and then he'll be the Khan of every clan in the present.

I can't wait to get to the plane where the lhurgoyfs live and we get the "goyf set" with something like a dozen of them, but no sign of the tarmo variety.

Toxi

Banned
I can't wait to get to the plane where the lhurgoyfs live and we get the "goyf set" with something like a dozen of them, but no sign of the tarmo variety.
On any plane without fetch lands or tribal spells the poor Tarmogoyfs are hunted to extinction by their larger brethren.

Angry Grimace

Was Future Sight not set in the future? I wasn't following back then.

He totally is Biff though.

I think it was the present with timey-wimey shit causing future stuff to appear in the present.

Angry Grimace

Well, I won a match in ROE.

Okay, I lost the other two, but that's just because he had that stupid rare Chimera to steal my fucken Eldrazi :(

I finally finished my Ante Cube and I was about to start finding people to help me take it out on its inaugural draft... and then I realized it's Prerelease Weekend :p Oh well, maybe next week.

Toxi

Banned
Man, Christopher Burdett did a great job on Ancient Carp.

Ancient-Carp-Dragons-of-Tarkir-MtG-Art.jpg

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156672913]How many packs of each is the prerelease?[/QUOTE]
Four Dragons of Tarkir, one Fate Reforge, one clan-specific pack with cards only in the color combo you chose.

Angry Grimace

Man, Christopher Burdett did a great job on Ancient Carp.

Ancient-Carp-Dragons-of-Tarkir-MtG-Art.jpg

Four Dragons of Tarkir, one Fate Reforge, one clan-specific pack with cards only in the color combo you chose.

SrnOU8Y.jpg

I figure that the Ancient Carp art is meant to be a direct reference to Dandan, except this time the eye is drawn to the fish instead of the boats.

Taramoor

I like the throwbacks to the past like on Fate Forgotten, Learn from the Past, Duress, Wandering Tombshell, Sarkhan's Rage, Tormenting Voice, Ainok Artillerist, Circle of Elders. As for names, Narset Transcendant sounds both elegant and badass, but for the uncommons and commons, I like the simplicity of Roast and the absurd Epic Confrontation. Which cards did you work on this time?

Names:
https://twitter.com/Bricobrosse/status/576456505999814656

Flavor Text:
https://twitter.com/Bricobrosse/status/576456597037170688

ElyrionX

Do you want TIMMY SMASH or win-from-nowhere-because-you-have-infinite-mana-and-can-draw-your-deck?

My Prime Speaker Zegana deck is more the latter (I think this is its current configuration; I haven't pulled it out in a couple of months):

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-06-14-prime-speaker-edh/

It still has some sub-optimal cards in it; I built it mostly from scrounging out of the junk drawers from my friends, opening good stuff during Theros drafts, or trading for a few other pieces. But this thing is remarkably effective (albeit not really very good at surviving early aggression; it banks the fact that most players like their games to go long). It usually wins by blinking Palinchron for infinite mana (either with Deadeye Navigator or Ghostly Flicker + Mnemonic Wall), followed by blinking Prime Speaker until you draw Capsize, then Capsize the board. If they don't scoop, either win with Lab Maniac (the quick way) or attack them to death.

I've also, just for kicks, built an trillion/trillion Polukranos before and wiped the entire board. That was cool.

So basically it's a mono-blue combo deck but with green for ramp and some creatures?

Hackworth

Prereleases start tomorrow! What dragons have you all chosen?

Also, what's the prerelease situation where you all are? In NZ we aren't actually getting the special pack because the boats got delayed, so we get 5 generic DtK, 1 FRf, and then the rest of the pack shows up in April. Still got to pick a dragon tho.

Prereleases start tomorrow! What dragons have you all chosen?

Also, what's the prerelease situation where you all are? In NZ we aren't actually getting the special pack because the boats got delayed, so we get 5 generic DtK, 1 FRf, and then the rest of the pack shows up in April. Still got to pick a dragon tho.

Picked Ojutai, and while our store is getting 40 pre-release packs, the location's so small that they can only fit 32 people before it becomes a fire hazard or some shit.

ultron87

I'm on Ojutai and Silumgar for my two. Blue/White has been my favorite combo forever and I also really want to try and play the Youthful Scholars/Palace Familiar exploit deck. Because that just sounds great. I'm sure my packs will entirely not behave, but I gotta dream.

I want all those dice.

Let's play Cube!

Oh, and I mulled to oblivion hunting for lands game one. And my opponent was playing UB draw-go; he literally never played anything at sorcery speed until he had 10 mana - i.e., my worst nightmare matchup. Round two I got a bye. Hopefully round three goes better.

Whatever happens - you have to admire the mana base.

EDIT: Smashed a Sultai Recurring Nightmare deck in the third round. As expected, creature strategies can't hang with my deck.

The dream is dead (I think), Australia had prereleases already.

I went to a store in Berkeley last week that already had all their product opened behind the counter and ready for preorders. I assume that plenty of stored had already done the same, so if there was anything crazy going on with the lands, it would have spoiled already.

so defensive
I still hate him for swimming in that pool of AVR money!

I really don't get how you could still be upset about this. Anyway, follow up to that (and I'd appreciate if you linked the post instead of posting a picture):
plain-dealing-villain asked: Magic is growing enough that you could release a set as disappointing as Mercadian Masques and it would still probably sell better than the set that came a year before it. "It sold well" is such an easy bar to clear that it says almost literally nothing about the quality of a set; I'm not sure it even counts as evidence in the Bayesian sense. If this is the metric you're using retrospectively, you need much better metrics. (Born of the Gods was very possibly such a set. It still sold fine.)

A couple things to keep in mind. First, we have a lot of data available to us and none of it is looked at in a vacuum. We aren’t just looking at raw numbers but comparing them to other relevant numbers.

Second, we don’t look at just one snapshot of time. We look at sales over the entire run of the life of the product. The progression and trends in sales are very informative.

Third, we’ve done our homework in understanding the data. And there’s a lot more than just sales numbers. It tells us there is a strong correlation between happiness with gameplay and sales. There is no factor, by the way, that can make a set that is unpopular to play with sell well over the life of the set.

Fourth, there are many Magic players each wanting different things out of a set. Just because one group doesn’t like a set doesn’t mean that holds true for other groups.

Fifth and finally, we’re not in the business of making critically acclaimed sets that a tiny audience purchases. We’re trying to make blockbusters - high quality blockbusters, but blockbusters nonetheless.

Angry Grimace

No, no, no guys Avacyn Restored was good because I have to toe the party line which is that it made money so we're gonna make more stuff like that.

I started drafting with AVR and I really liked it. In fact, as a new player going from AVR to RTR was tough because RTR was a much harder draft format as a newer player to Limited.

No, no, no guys Avacyn Restored was good because I have to toe the party line which is that it made money so we're gonna make more stuff like that.

Statements like this annoy me because there's no attempt to understand why Avacyn Restored sold well. And from the Blogatog post I posted, it seems that the set sold well throughout its lifespan. Since everyone agrees that the draft was bad, that obviously means that the quality of the draft has less to do with the overall view of a set than people like to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom