• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda regretting buying all these physical cards when I should have just bought into MtGO, considering my roommates and buddies are never around to play me. :X

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You people who do midnight prereleases have way more stamina than I ever will.

Or we have more 5 hour energy.

Drafted a cool Sultai deck with Torrent Elemental splashing red for Knux. Then I lost the first game because I literally forgot to put swamps in my deck. 2-1, not too bad.

ironmang

Ugh, that prerelease pool I just had is exactly the reason I don't go to limited GPs anymore. Even if the pack distribution is much different it's still not worth driving hours just to have no chance of doing well from the start.

So I picked Dromoka and somehow got two of the same blue mythic in my packs (Clone Legion).

Otherwise my seeded promo was Dromoka himself, and I also got a foil Myth Realized, so I'm pretty happy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My sealed pool is not even playable. Ugh. =(.

Blood Chin Fanatic is useless in my pool and a lot of really useless off color dragons. =(

Angry Grimace

Forced into aggro by a really bad pool and just got annihilated. Gotta say I'm a little conerned by the number of people who said "I opened no dragons and got annihilated."

Then again it's Sealed and it's kind of a silly pack wars format where if you don't open something saucy you aren't going to have a good time.

I had the 2nd worst pool I've ever gotten in a prerelease tonight. But something extraordinary happened. I had an ending record of 3-2 without ever having won a single game of magic all night.

R1, lost 0-2. R2, lost 0-2. R3, bye. R4, my opponent did not mark his slip drop and I waited 5 minutes and got a 2-0 win. R5, my opponent did not mark his slip drop and I waited 5 minutes and got a 2-0 win.

I took 13th place in a field of 31 for the night and did nothing but sit and shuffle for the last 3 hours of the night.

Hackworth

Built Esper fliers because my pool was weird. Won 2 of 4.

Also, I got so badly mana screwed in round 1 that I drew 4 lands total across both matches. My opponent challenged me to a third game for fun and I stomped him flat.

MjFrancis

I had fun at prerelease despite going 0-1/drop. I didn't know if I was going to make it to begin with. I slept 3 1/2 hours beforehand and got up in the middle of the night to play. I have work today so I'm going back to sleep for a few hours after this.

Guy I played had a Rakdos aggro deck. I played Silumgar. Kept poor opening hands I should have mulled. Killed me T6 both games. First game just aggro'd out, second game got Mob Rule'd. I lost two more games for fun after that, though not so decisively.

Still I pulled two mythics, bought a pair of Tasigurs and a Polluted Delta for $20, and I get to sleep a bit more before playing two-headed giant tomorrow. At least I'll be able to play that one through since it doesn't start at midnight. I'm not a night owl at all anymore.

Firemind

Ugh, that prerelease pool I just had is exactly the reason I don't go to limited GPs anymore. Even if the pack distribution is much different it's still not worth driving hours just to have no chance of doing well from the start.
Yeah, I got up this morning and I thought to myself if I wanted to pay 50 bucks to play a prerelease with a shitty prize structure (one win = one pack). The answer is no. GPs are cool tho if you have a bunch of mates who are also going.

Angry Grimace

2-1-1 (split)

Deck turned out better than I thought; it seemed like it was really weak for a sealed deck in a big bomby format.

Feels weird going back to a format where 3 colors is just not something you can realistically do (unless its draft and you get passed a ton of multi-lands), especially right after I went 4-color KTK draft earlier in the night.

Got the Bellstriker, 2 of that awful blue removal spell, the R/G Rare promo dragon and the 3/3 Blood-Chin warrior tribal guy (as my Kolaghan promo, and whose ability I used exactly once when a dude tried to Roast my Zurgo).

3 pack split at the end, got Clone Army, Descent of the Dargons (I wish that was in my pool) and the Butt Combat enchantment (which I gave to some dude who seemed super hyper to find someone with it to trade earlier in the night).

Yeah, I got up this morning and I thought to myself if I wanted to pay 50 bucks to play a prerelease with a shitty prize structure (one win = one pack). The answer is no. GPs are cool tho if you have a bunch of mates who are also going.

$50? That's crazy. Ours was $30 and the prize payout was 2 packs for 2 wins, 3 packs for 2 wins and a draw (so you could split), 4 for 3 wins, and 8 for 4-0. I think a flat prize distribution is really standard everywhere now based on how WOTC gives out the prize boxes.

Matriox

Went 6-0 never lost a game at midnight prerelease :D drafted Esper control with a crux of Fate, dragon opportunity, and the black Regent, splashed white for Myth Realized and Hidden Dragonslayer. Add in a bunch of exploit and flying and won a box! Now to get 3 hours of sleep for the next one.

Firemind

$50? That's crazy. Ours was $30 and the prize payout was 2 packs for 2 wins, 3 packs for 2 wins and a draw (so you could split), 4 for 3 wins, and 8 for 4-0. I think a flat prize distribution is really standard everywhere now based on how WOTC gives out the prize boxes.
Well, it's 25 + 25 parking in the next town. The one in my own town is full. It's in the middle of the town so there's no free parking. I can't take the public transportation either because I need to go back on time for work. Sad because I kind of like dragons. #firstworldproblems

I'm waiting for someone to post that he/she opened a foil sarkhan any minute now.

y2dvd

Went 6-0 never lost a game at midnight prerelease :D drafted Esper control with a crux of Fate, dragon opportunity, and the black Regent, splashed white for Myth Realized and Hidden Dragonslayer. Add in a bunch of exploit and flying and won a box! Now to get 3 hours of sleep for the next one.

Congrats! The only gaffer with an impressive record lol. They didn't do a midnight prerelease at my lgs but they will get 5 done between today and tomorrow. Going to the morning one in 2 hours.

Firemind

Play ALL the dragons.

I can't believe the foil dragonlords are all going for $20. That's almost as much as a near mint Legends Nicol Bolas! They're not even that good as EDH generals!

Yeef

Went Kolaghan for the first prerelease and built a pretty insane Mardu Deck:

Creatures
  • 1x Kolaghan Stormsinger
  • 1x Typhoid Rats
  • 1x Hidden Dragonslayer
  • 1x Kolaghan Aspirant
  • 2x Kolaghan Skirmisher
  • 1x Mardu Scout
  • 1x Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
  • 1x Hardened Berserker
  • 1x Misthoof Kirin
  • 1x Reckless Imp
  • 1x Summit Prowler
  • 1x Vulturous Aven
  • 1x Boltwing Marauder
  • 1x Stormcrag Elemental

Spells
  • 2x Roast
  • 1x Twin Bolt
  • 1x Death Wind
  • 1x Berserker's Onslaught
  • 1x Butcher's Glee
  • 1x Kolaghan's Command
  • 1x Volcanic Rush

Lands
  • 2 Evolving Wilds
  • 2 Plains
  • Some Number of Mountains and Swamps

Sideboard
  • 1x Glaring Aegis
  • 2x Twin Bolt
  • 1x Diplomacy of the Wastes
  • 1x Mind Rot
  • 1x Tail Slash
  • 2x Lose Calm

Being able to side in the extra win bolts against other aggressive decks was great. Boltwing was also the MVP. In one game it got pacifism'd and I just kept dash Imp and other stuff in to go over the top. It's also ridiculous with Alesha's attack trigger.

Vulturous Aven probably should have come out. I never got into a position where I'd want to sack anything for the card draw. I would have loved another Imp in it's place.

Firemind

Being able to side in the extra win bolts against other aggressive decks was great.
That feeling when you can leave semi-premium removal out of your sealed deck.
iA1S7dn62Q3Kk.png

And Alara II looks to be happening. Wouldn't be seen for at least 2 years though. One Two Three
Alara II: Nicol Bolagoo

kirblar

What, ruining the one remaining distinction between artifacts and enchantments forever wasn't good enough for you?
That line was always going to be crossed eventually. I don't think Esper actually executed it well, though. (NPH, however, did. As did Theros.)

I think I figured out my big splashy mechanic for a GDS3 should I need to submit stuff again.
Literal Voltron.

Ringo

Went to a prerelease today. Choose to play black-red which was funny when looking at the prerelease card: a 2/2 for R and then looking to the left and seeing a dragon with comes into play control magic.

Luckily my pool was friendly enough to give me a decent B/R warrior-themed deck which I managed to 3-1 with. Got some weird looks from people seeing me play 2 Mind Rots maindeck. But each opponent told me afterwards they thought the Mind Rot was key to their loss.

I didn't go to the prerelease this time, but I'm super grateful I have a store crazy enough to do straight up swiss to top 8 for every goddamn event. Won a box after 8 rounds at the last midnight prerelease and thought I was gonna die falling asleep at the wheel on the way home.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I'm trying to figure out why one of the "on release" rulings for Martial Coup is
Martial Coup checks the number you chose for X, not the amount of mana you actually spent.

Its only on Sorceries from Alara block, not Shadowmoor and not Scars

EDIT: Its not even in Alara Reborn, Lavalanche lacks it

MjFrancis

My local store bumped prices as well. (From 25->30) Did the wholesale price increase start with FRF or with KTK?
Fate Reforged. I don't feel so bad though since locally prerelease prices were bumped from $20 to $25.

All of the local supermarkets bumped packs up 19 cents and intro decks a dollar even though MSRP hasn't changed.

ElyrionX

MSRP did not change but stores here have been selling below MSRP for years. Since FRF, Hasbro began limiting the supply of boosters in a bid to get shops to raise the price of boosters. It worked but it also resulted in some of the more popular stores running out of boosters and not getting restocked for weeks which is stupid.

kirblar

They really don't want to raise the price of booster MSRP, but it's going to happen sooner rather than later I think.
Yeah. It'll bump to 4.29 when it happens. They don't want to do 5 piecemeal raises going from 3.99 to 4.99 over the years.

I'm wondering if they view the low KTK pack prices on MTGO as a feature, not a bug.

Angry Grimace

Yeah. It'll bump to 4.29 when it happens. They don't want to do 5 piecemeal raises going from 3.99 to 4.99 over the years.

I'm wondering if they view the low KTK pack prices on MTGO as a feature, not a bug.

They're already 4.19 at Target btw.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, the official bump feels like it's pretty close, within a year, year and a half.

KTK and FRF cost 4.19 at Target and 4.19 at Wal-Mart and the earlier stuff is still 3.99. Wholesale price increase already happened I think. I haven't noticed the prices of boxes from vendors going up, still slightly under $100.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";156854188]I didn't go to the prerelease this time, but I'm super grateful I have a store crazy enough to do straight up swiss to top 8 for every goddamn event. Won a box after 8 rounds at the last midnight prerelease and thought I was gonna die falling asleep at the wheel on the way home.[/QUOTE]

This is gross. I don't get why you would actually want a top-heavy prize structure at a fucking prerelease pack wars newbie event. It sounds like a miserable time filled with rules-lawyering and really unhappy people who don't just get super kickass pools.

kirblar

KTK and FRF cost 4.19 at Target and 4.19 at Wal-Mart and the earlier stuff is still 3.99. Wholesale price increase already happened I think. I haven't noticed the prices of boxes from vendors going up, still slightly under $100.
They're pricing it there, but the official MSRP is still 3.99.

As long as boxes are still $90 on Amazon, it's all good. I don't think I've purchased a box since Odyssey, but it's nice knowing they're there if I decide I want to get one.

duxstar

I still can't get over my midnight prerelease, I went 3 - 2 with a different rare in each color (Zurgo, Supplant Form, Surrak the hunt caller, Secure the waste, sunscorch regent) so I went base white with red to go red white aggro.

First 3 games are easy and I cruise to 3 - 0 in a five round tournament. Then game 4 it comes down to 3 points of life and the guy gets me.

So my final round opponent I offer the draw so I can secure top 8 since I've only lost to the one 4 - 0 guy whose splitting.

It's some 18 year old girl that's never won before so she makes me play it out and in all 3 games she's able to get dragon Lord kologhan out, I won game 1 with sarkhans rage, then in game 2 she plays acid skewer dragon, 3/3 red dragon, into dragon Lord kologhan.

Meanwhile I never draw any of my bomb rares, in game 2 I had her dead next turn when she top decked the Dragon lords.

Going from second to out of the top 8 like that just keeps gnawing at me and I keep thinking about the games i lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom