• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I don't understand.

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/blog/2014/07/28/exemplar-program/

Basically if some Level 2+ judge thinks another judge is doing a great job at any level (local, a GP, etc etc) they can put their name in and that gets them foils sent out. The stated idea was to make it so judges that don't work GPs can still get some of that cheddah.

I imagine the fact that judges were basically getting paid to work GPs tax free with foils was also part of the reason.

I talked with one of the L2s here about the process and stuff and I was into it for a bit, but watching judges at events just makes it seem like their job sucks ass. If I'm gonna show up to a shop for 8 hours to get store credit, I'd rather play.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For some insane reason the Head judge at the prerelease couldn't figure out whether Flamerush Rider tokens trigger "when attacks" triggers. I had to tell him, which was weird.

kirblar

I don't understand.
They appear to have been at risk of running into labor law issues with the previous system. Now that judges don't get foils, though, it's caused staffing costs at events to jump enormously for TOs.

And yeah, the new system is....awkward.

You guys think atarka's command will drop? or is 5$ fair. Its been getting a lot of modern hype already.

Skullcrack is only a little over a dollar...

The landbase is too shitty for Esper; give it up.

That mana base is exactly the same as last season's esper control except I have Flooded Strands instead of Hallowed Fountains, and I don't need both double blue and white early enough for the distinction to matter. Looking at it again, though, I should swap a Flooded Strand and a Plains for a Polluted Delta and a Swamp. That would give me 17 blue, 14 White and 12 Black, which is pretty close to optimal. Ideally I'd like 19/15/13, but I wasn't able to achieve that last season either and anticipate will help close the gap for that last few percentage points.

The more important consideration is whether or not playing three colors makes the deck better, which I'm not convinced of.

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157094746]I talked with one of the L2s here about the process and stuff and I was into it for a bit, but watching judges at events just makes it seem like their job sucks ass. If I'm gonna show up to a shop for 8 hours to get store credit, I'd rather play.[/QUOTE]

If I got certified I'd probably just help out at local events like FNMs and Game Days that the judge can also play in. If I'm going to go to an SCG or GP I'd probably just play in it.

Socat

You guys think atarka's command will drop? or is 5$ fair. Its been getting a lot of modern hype already.

Skullcrack is only a little over a dollar...

It's on a lot of people's radars as a Modern playable option, so it may dip but probably not much. and the fact that it's skullcrack without the damage prevent + 3 other possible effects for the same CMC makes it worth it to me at least.

y2dvd

My roommate is a judge actually. I forgot what lvl though. He says the tests for the higher levels are really difficult. I don't know how generous most lgs pays out, but he's been compensated with a box or Free entree to the prereleases all day like this past weekend. He enjoys it for the most part.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's simple. Remove the reserved list, sell the duals in a special set, pay judges for the next 15 years and make several yachts out of the stacks of hundreds with the leftovers. The yachts would run on unicorn blood.

How did I miss this card? I've been digging through the modern card pool forever.

186367_1tnlp0.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think this is the only 1-mana card in the format that counters abrupt decay targeting an enchantment. I guess Ricochet Trap if they snapcast it lol

Shaving the mana almost definitely isn't worth losing Boros Charm, but man is this card appealing.

I thought you said you're going to sell off your Bogles deck. :3

I probably am, but I was curious because I realized that I never searched for protection and target permanent before.

Whenever there's better land.

No seriously, almost literally every spell you want to go Esper for is double colored mana.

Murderous Cut, Ashiok, Silumgar, Ultimate Price, Thoughtseize/Duress? I didn't play Hero's Downfall in my esper control deck last season either.

ultron87

Anticipate is also a huge deal for smoothing out mana issues. You don't need to play as many lands and get selection for whatever you actually need to cast the stuff in your hand.

Firemind

Where are you finding THAT price?
European seller. Euro is tanking at the moment so it's more like $15.30, which isn't half-bad to be honest. I'm looking at the price of Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker and it's only worth €6 now, so I'm a bit hesitant to snap up Unbroken for €14.

y2dvd

Throwing in a Kolaghan's Command in my Mardu Aggro deck. Getting back Soulfire will be nice and being able to recycle it and getting rid of their card draw late game will be funny. Replaced Hordeling Outburst with Dragon Fodder. Threw in a Sidsi, Undead Vizier. Think I'll run 3-4 Duress in the sideboard. It can rip apart Jeskai, Abzan control, and U/B control which is probably my worst matchup.

Foil Anticipate is $8 on scg lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
....isn't that just Ned Stark in front of a heart tree?

Who needs coloured mana when you have Ugin, Pernicious Not-Dragon Karn Who?

Serious question: what is in white that control decks want so badly? Presumably End Hostilities, but is dealing with losing a shitload of games to color screw good enough to justify running that over Crux of Fate, which is effective against everything that sees serious play other than Stormbreath Dragon?

I have this alternate theory people just want to justify playing Narset because they can't figure out how else to effectively use her ability.

Serious question: what is in white that control decks want so badly? Presumably End Hostilities, but is dealing with losing a shitload of games to color screw good enough to justify running that over Crux of Fate, which is effective against everything that sees serious play other than Stormbreath Dragon?

Elspeth, Narset and Surge of Righteousness. Also, black is the splash color, not white.

Angry Grimace

Well, now its Narset, but previously there was no good reason for it. There's a reason all the results were with U/B and BUG.

I would be extremely surprised if white control gets more than scattered top 8 performances. White removal is just kind of a problem.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157119418]Elspeth, Narset and Surge of Righteousness. Also, black is the splash color, not white.[/QUOTE]

I just don't get it. Narset only has one ability that's even useful for control, and its just card draw that works ~60% of the time.

Yes, you can rebound End Hostilities, but that's just cute combo shit, not to mention, its combo shit they see coming so they just don't cast anything.

Firemind

I have this alternate theory people just want to justify playing Narset because they can't figure out how else to effectively use her ability.
End Hostilities, Ojutai's Command and Utter End to battle Mastery of the Unseen.

Narset is kind of sweet if you rebound End Hostilities. It doesn't particularly care about Whisperwood Elemental.

Angry Grimace

End Hostilities, Ojutai's Command and Utter End to battle Mastery of the Unseen.

Narset is kind of sweet if you rebound End Hostilities. It doesn't particularly care about Whisperwood Elemental.

Rebounding Ojutai's Command is a lot worse than you are imagining it to be and rebounding Utter End requires, again, you to be in Esper running 4 mana double-color removal spells.

ultron87

Cool, I guess. You got a time walk, congratulations for assembling a two card combo that doesn't actually win anything and 100% of the time gets no value at all on the second cast.

You now have untapped mana, get the first crack to do something after a wrath, and a potential planeswalker drawing you more gas. That's a pretty nice place for a control deck to be.

Cool, I guess. You got a time walk, congratulations for assembling a two card combo that doesn't actually win anything and 100% of the time gets no value at all on the second cast.

The whole drawback of wraths is that your opponent gets to rebuild while you're tapped out. That gets a lot harder with rebound. The best is to rebound Dig through time, though. The fact that her plus draws cards at an above-domri rate and enters the board at 7 loyalty makes her hard for creature decks to kill, so you untap and rebound a wrath and you've just stabilized. Late game she doubles your card draw spells. I was really down on the card when it was spoiled, but I've slowly been coming around to how good she is.

If you curve Ashiok into Narset a lot of midrange decks are just going to fold.

Angry Grimace

You now have untapped mana, get the first crack to do something after a wrath, and a potential planeswalker drawing you more gas. That's a pretty nice place for a control deck to be.

Its a 2 card combo in that her second ability will very rarely have a viable target that's not End Hostilities itself. Can you do it with Dig Through Time or Treasure Cruise? Sure, but the benefit of Dig is that you don't have to do it on your turn, and Narset is a permanent that costs 4 to cast in the first place.

The only way she really wins the game for you is ultimating. On her own, she's not disruptive to your opponent nor is she even guaranteed to do something that helps you when she sits there untouched.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157122406]The whole drawback of wraths is that your opponent gets to rebuild while you're tapped out. That gets a lot harder with rebound. The best is to rebound Dig through time, though. The fact that her plus draws cards at an above-domri rate and enters the board at 7 loyalty makes her hard for creature decks to kill, so you untap and rebound a wrath and you've just stabilized. Late game she doubles your card draw spells. I was really down on the card when it was spoiled, but I've slowly been coming around to how good she is.

If you curve Ashiok into Narset a lot of midrange decks are just going to fold.[/QUOTE]Yeah, too bad you can't rebound Dig Through Time since your only good removal spell now is Murderous Cut and Delve is a totally parasitic mechanic. Just put her in a Myth Realized deck where she belongs.

If you don't understand that "I'm gonna curve Ashiok into Narset into End Hostilities into Elspeth" is magic christmas land shit, I don't know what to tell you, friend.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Narset and Ashiok would be super, super powerful if Downfall wasn't in the meta. Ashiok still remains fringe playable, but I'm not wholly sold on Narset just yet. I just feel that right now, in standard a PW has to give you something substantial. Ashiok is there because it's a cheap card that can sometimes remove top deck threats, but I really need to mess with Narset to see if there is an angle on her I'm missing. If she drops low, I'll pick up a set for post Theros rotation though, because I see her being great when your opponent can't just tap 3 and kill your 4 mana investment at instant speed.

Angry Grimace

Its like splashing a third, weaker color for Jace, Architect of Thought, except Narset is worse than Jace.

Narset and Ashiok would be super, super powerful if Downfall wasn't in the meta. Ashiok still remains fringe playable, but I'm not wholly sold on Narset just yet. I just feel that right now, in standard a PW has to give you something substantial. Ashiok is there because it's a cheap card that can sometimes remove top deck threats, but I really need to mess with Narset to see if there is an angle on her I'm missing. If she drops low, I'll pick up a set for post Theros rotation though, because I see her being great when your opponent can't just tap 3 and kill your 4 mana investment at instant speed.

Ashiok is insane right now, I don't know if I'd call it fringe playable. It's one of the stronger cards in the UBx control decks.

Ashiok is card that always seems worse than it is. I love the fact that it previews threats for your opponent to make them want to kill it. Ashiok and Narset are in kind of the Jace Architect of Thought slot right now, in that they're really annoying for creature decks if they live because they're hard to race and will take over the game if they do, but if all they do is eat a downfall, then they made your Elspeth/Ugin more likely to stick.

I think if you're a planeswalker control deck you really need these mid-level cheaper threats to help you stabilize and drain your opponent's downfalls.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157124248]Ashiok is insane right now, I don't know if I'd call it fringe playable. It's one of the stronger cards in the UBx control decks.

Ashiok is card that always seems worse than it is. I love the fact that it previews threats for your opponent to make them want to kill it. Ashiok and Narset are in kind of the Jace Architect of Thought slot right now, in that they're really annoying for creature decks if they live because they're hard to race and will take over the game if they do, but if all they do is eat a downfall, then they made your Elspeth/Ugin more likely to stick.

I think if you're a planeswalker control deck you really need these mid-level cheaper threats to help you stabilize and drain your opponent's downfalls.[/QUOTE]They're also just worse for control decks than Jace, AOT is.

I just need to hear a cogent argument why its better than either U/B or B/U/G. I'm not gonna tell you I'm super in love with playing Kiora in that shell at the same cost, but I don't think its worth changing the entire deck to convert a B- card into a B+ card.

Firemind

Bant Control

4 Satyr Wayfinder

2 Narset Transcendant
2 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

4 Anticipate
3 Last Breath
4 Dig Through Time
4 Dissolve
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Ojutai's Command
3 End Hostilities
2 Treasure Cruise

4 Temple of Enlightment
3 Temple of Mystery
2 Temple of Plenty
4 Flooded Strand
3 Windswept Heath
2 Yavimaya Coast
3 Island
3 Plains
1 Forest

dat value

Angry Grimace

Bant Control

4 Satyr Wayfinder

2 Narset Transcendant

4 Anticipate
3 Last Breath
4 Dig Through Time
4 Dissolve
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Ojutai's Command
3 End Hostilities
2 Treasure Cruise

4 Temple of Enlightment
3 Temple of Mystery
2 Temple of Plenty
4 Flooded Strand
3 Windswept Heath
2 Yavimaya Coast
3 Island
3 Plains
1 Forest

dat value

I assume by value you mean the price of the cards in the deck

Apeopleman

Bant Control

4 Satyr Wayfinder

2 Narset Transcendant

4 Anticipate
3 Last Breath
4 Dig Through Time
4 Dissolve
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Ojutai's Command
3 End Hostilities
2 Treasure Cruise

4 Temple of Enlightment
3 Temple of Mystery
2 Temple of Plenty
4 Flooded Strand
3 Windswept Heath
2 Yavimaya Coast
3 Island
3 Plains
1 Forest

dat value

Did you create this off the top of your head?

I like the concept! Simply mill with Satyr Wayfinder, use him as a chump block, and help fuel your big blue draw spells. Slam Ugin/Elspeth as the win condition.

Angry Grimace

??? is right

you have 6 counter spells to defend 5 PW that are your only win cons.

That's another problem for me with U/W. You don't have all that much in the way of dealing with resolved permanents other than "well I'll end hostilities." And hope that he's not playing Mastery of the Unseen or Whisperwood Elemental.

Basically what I'm saying is Sultai Control is dabess

Firemind

I intended to add one Ojutai and Dromoka'a Command, but then I realized the command is basically irrelevant when you don't have creatures in your deck. I also had one Banishing Light, but I left it out in the end as it clashes with Ugin.

The opponent can only have four Downfalls. At some point you're going to be drowning in card advantage, so much that you can safely play a win condition or several without the Downfalls being very relevant. I mean, the point of the deck is to rebound Dig Through Time at some point. Whisperwood Elemental is annoying if it resolves, but that's why the counterspells are there. I actually want to find room for more counters. Probably Negate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom