• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Put this together really quickly. Mono white devotion

4x Dragon Hunter
4x Mardu Woe-Reaper
4x Soldier of the Pantheon

Only notable 1 drops in.

4x Ainok Bond-Kin
3x Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4x Master of Pearls
4x Hidden Dragonslayer

Anafenza puts counters on things. Ainok gives first strike to creatures with counters. Master of the Pearls morph for cheap if Manifested. And if there's a bunch of manifested creatures, they all get pumped. Hidden Dragonslayer takes cares of fatties.

2x Brimaz, King of Oreskos

Can't think of another 3 drop to put in.

1x Spear of Heliod
3x Citadel Siege
3x Mastery of the Unseen
2x Banishing Light
1x Valorous Stance

18 Plains
3 Nyxthos

It's fairly aggro, so I think I can get away with 21 lands.

Possible sideboards to consider.
Hushwing Gryff
End Hostilities
Erase
Glare of Heresy
Revoke Existence
Silkwrap
Surge of Righteousness
Dictate of Heliod
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Feat of Resistance
Gods Willing
Wingmate Roc
Soul of Theros

MjFrancis

I want to get rid of this Narset while it's still worth something but it doesn't seem like anyone is looking for it on Pucatrade and with the necessary tracking to prevent theft plus fees I'm not sure it would be worth trying to get rid of it on eBay.
Narset Transcendent is trending at $31- $35 on eBay. Shipping is about $1.93 if you print a shipping label for first class (these come with free tracking). After fees it's still going to be $25+ in your pocket (assuming you live in the States).

I don't believe Narset is going to retail for $20 in a few months, let alone $35. If you want to dump it, the time is now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Narset Transcendent is trending at $31- $35 on eBay. Shipping is about $1.93 if you print a shipping label for first class (these come with free tracking). After fees it's still going to be $25+ in your pocket (assuming you live in the States).

I don't believe Narset is going to retail for $20 in a few months, let alone $35. If you want to dump it, the time is now.

I said the same thing about Ugin and ended up buying them all back.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

4x Dragon Hunter
4x Mardu Woe-Reaper

Only notable 1 drops in.

4x Ainok Bond-Kin
4x Master of Pearls
4x Hidden Dragonslayer

Anafenza puts counters on things. Ainok gives first strike to creatures with counters. Master of the Pearls morph for cheap if Manifested. And if there's a bunch of manifested creatures, they all get pumped. Hidden Dragonslayer takes cares of fatties.

1x Spear of Heliod
3x Citadel Siege
3x Mastery of the Unseen
2x Banishing Light
1x Valorous Stance

18 Plains
3 Nyxthos

Hushwing Gryff
End Hostilities
Erase
Glare of Heresy
Revoke Existence
Silkwrap
Surge of Righteousness
Dictate of Heliod
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Feat of Resistance
Gods Willing
Wingmate Roc
Soul of Theros

RIght, I've been brewing this deck extensively since Secure the Wasters was spoiled. I will post my version when I am less inebriated. Bond-Kin and Pearls are terrible cards though. Cut those and maybe even burn them just to be sure.

Firemind

Quick and dirty mono red list:

4 Foundry Denizen
4 Zurgo Bell-Striker
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Goblin Rabblemaster

4 Wild Slash
4 Lightning Strike
4 Searing Blood
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames

20 Mountains

Not sure if I want Mardu Scout or Dragon Fodder and I think Taylor Swift is worse than Firedrinker.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

4 Foundry Denizen
4 Zurgo Bell-Striker
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Goblin Rabblemaster

4 Wild Slash
4 Lightning Strike
4 Searing Blood
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames

20 Mountains

Not sure if I want Mardu Scout or Dragon Fodder and I think Taylor Swift is worse than Firedrinker.

SB some Heelcutters, they're annoying as fuck against decks that just hope one big Tasigur or something will save them.

y2dvd

RIght, I've been brewing this deck extensively since Secure the Wasters was spoiled. I will post my version when I am less inebriated. Bond-Kin and Pearls are terrible cards though. Cut those and maybe even burn them just to be sure.

Lol I just thought the Bond-kin and the few ways to get counters would be cute. Maybe I'll cut two for bigger bombs like Wingmate Roc or something. And think about it! Master of Pearls morphed pumping up all your warrior tokens! If you're running Secure the Waste, then Dictate of Heliod mainboarded is a must no?

Angry Grimace

Tasigur also gets rekt by Roast. Basically, mono red is gonna crush dreams.

Its a super corner case where I think Roast is actually slightly less good due to the RDW mantra of Always Be Attacking. Roast takes out the same number of blockers that Heelcutter does, but Heelcutter poses a legitimate, repeatable threat to their ability to stop you from attacking.

RDW is gonna show up big in tournament results, I think.

Firemind

I don't think you should compare the two, as Roast is actual removal for problem creatures such as Courser, Polukranos, Rhino, Brimaz, Whisperwood. Either way, why not play both in the sideboard? It's not like red has a wealth of options.

Angry Grimace

I don't think you should compare the two, as Roast is actual removal for problem creatures such as Courser, Polukranos, Rhino, Brimaz, Whisperwood. Either way, why not play both in the sideboard? It's not like red has a wealth of options.

If they're getting multiple creatures out that only die to Roast that you permanently need to remove you're probably gonna lose anyways

4x Dragon Hunter
4x Mardu Woe-Reaper

Only notable 1 drops in.

4x Ainok Bond-Kin
4x Master of Pearls
4x Hidden Dragonslayer

1x Spear of Heliod
3x Citadel Siege
3x Mastery of the Unseen
2x Banishing Light
1x Valorous Stance

18 Plains
3 Nyxthos

Hushwing Gryff
End Hostilities
Erase
Glare of Heresy
Revoke Existence
Silkwrap
Surge of Righteousness
Dictate of Heliod
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Feat of Resistance
Gods Willing
Wingmate Roc
Soul of Theros

As someone who has been brewing with a +1/+1 counter GW Deck, I can say drop the Bond Kin. It's a neat card, but in my (Limited) play test experience Archetype of Courage is better. Yes, it's one more Mana, but it's a perma boost unreliant on counters.

Firemind

If they're getting multiple creatures out that only die to Roast that you permanently need to remove you're probably gonna lose anyways
Courser can be played on t3 when you're still developing the board, with Polukranos not far behind. Having more outs to that is not insignificant. Heelcutter only works if you're in front and not when there's board parity. I believe multiple mono red decks in recent top 8s played Bathe in Dragonfire to have copy 5 and 6 to get rid of x/4s. Roast is almost a strict upgrade to that.

Angry Grimace

Courser can be played on t3 when you're still developing the board, with Polukranos not far behind. Having more outs to that is not insignificant. Heelcutter only works if you're in front and not when there's board parity. I believe multiple mono red decks in recent top 8s played Bathe in Dragonfire to have copy 5 and 6 to get rid of x/4s. Roast is almost a strict upgrade to that.

Those words you are using

ironmang

4 Foundry Denizen
4 Zurgo Bell-Striker
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Goblin Rabblemaster

4 Wild Slash
4 Lightning Strike
4 Searing Blood
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames

20 Mountains

Not a huge fan of the 4 outbursts and 4 searing bloods. Even Rabblemaster feels like it could come down to 2 or 3 to make it run smoother. My personal list runs 18 1 drop creatures which gets you to some broken starts that will punish all of the scry-happy opponents.

Firemind

ifwILkd.png

Ugh, no Kiln Fiend or Distortion Strike. Fine, I reluctantly take the Drana.

Crikey. What a bizarre format.

Also, I was browsing my collection and noticed

Bloody hell, how did this get here? I thought they didn't give these out online... Can I redeem this?

Jhriad

Hooray! Finally got a bite on Pucatrade and it'll net me almost $40 in points.

Angry Grimace

Ugh, no Kiln Fiend or Distortion Strike. Fine, I reluctantly take the Drana.

Crikey. What a bizarre format.

Also, I was browsing my collection and noticed

Bloody hell, how did this get here? I thought they didn't give these out online... Can I redeem this?

Not redeemable. Remember when everyone got mad that the Ugin's Fate cards didn't actually have Ugin? A few weeks back they handed them out based on how many prereleases you entered.

I took my Ante Cube out for its first draft. It was a mild success but I encountered some obstacles. The tournament took way too long because no one was used to playing with any of the cards, and multiple games went to time.

The ante rules also were hit and miss. The biggest issue is that it's kind of feel-bad if one person antes a basic land and the other antes their build-around card. I'm thinking of making only cards other than basic lands be anteable and allowing "ante mulligans" in case there's a particularly vital card that you can't afford to lose.

Any other ideas on how to implement ante are welcome.

I took my Ante Cube out for its first draft. It was a mild success but I encountered some obstacles. The tournament took way too long because no one was used to playing with any of the cards, and multiple games went to time.

The ante rules also were hit and miss. The biggest issue is that it's kind of feel-bad if one person antes a basic land and the other antes their build-around card. I'm thinking of making only cards other than basic lands be anteable and allowing "ante mulligans" in case there's a particularly vital card that you can't afford to lose.

Any other ideas on how to implement ante are welcome.

I don't think you'll ever get around the fundamental issue that people don't like to lose their cards.

The way you cube for Ante is to always put a dollar bill into the Ante, instead of cards from your deck. So now Contract From Below reads: "Add a dollar bill to the Ante, discard your hand, draw seven cards."

I did see some cool things happen with it though. A few people put the cards they'd win from ante in their deck,end I witnessed those cards helping them in subsequent rounds.

You might be right though. Its a shame, because if there's any format where ante could actually work then it's cube draft.

I'll try ante mulligans and see if that's any better, but I may just have to abandon that part of it. We'll see.

Edit: I just had a brain storm. Don't make ante mandatory, but offer incentives to ante cards during the game! Anteing a card could also let you get a full 7 card mulligan. Contract from Below could still be playable. I could errata cards that interact with ante to have alternate modes in case there is no ante pile.

Firemind

Well, what else is there to draft? In my short cube stint, I find there are only four ways to draft: U/x decks, G/B Recurring Nightmare, White Weenie, G/x midrange and... that's it. Sneak Attack doesn't work anymore, because there's no contingency plan to cheat Emrakul besides Through the Breach. Red is dead, Zoo is terribly inconsistent and Vampires was never a deck to begin with.

It's shocking how many players think the "right" way to draft cube is to force Blue all of the time. The truth is that it's just lazy; it's easy to take good blue cards and have them be generally good in a lot of situations. It's hard to learn a cube and figure out when you're getting passed green ramp, or white aggro, or five-color value, or whatever. "But counterspells are always good!" smh

Well, what else is there to draft? In my short cube stint, I find there are only four ways to draft: U/x decks, G/B Recurring Nightmare, White Weenie, G/x midrange and... that's it. Sneak Attack doesn't work anymore, because there's no contingency plan to cheat Emrakul besides Through the Breach. Red is dead, Zoo is terribly inconsistent and Vampires was never a deck to begin with.

I agree with you in this specific cube, but this has been a problem with CFB's Cube content for a while.

red13th

White weenie? You just said it yourself.

EDIT: I don't disagree that the current cube stinks though.

Firemind

It was hilarious how Caleb got absolutely thrashed by White Weenie and he's like welp that's that.

Blue is good because they have the best ways to manipulate and smooth out your draws, not because they have counterspells.

The Modern Rotisserie draft that Randy/Marshall/Sam Black/et al are doing is an interesting thought experiment. With the first pick, Marshall took Batterskull, and Chris Pikula has taken Noble Hierarch with the second pick.

I'm really interested to see what you guys think you would take first. I don't think I would have taken Batterskull; I actually think I would either take Liliana of the Veil and try to "Jund 'em out," or just go all in and take Slippery Bogle.

What would you do?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The Modern Rotisserie draft that Randy/Marshall/Sam Black/et al are doing is an interesting thought experiment. With the first pick, Marshall took Batterskull, and Chris Pikula has taken Noble Hierarch with the second pick.

I'm really interested to see what you guys think you would take first. I don't think I would have taken Batterskull; I actually think I would either take Liliana of the Veil and try to "Jund 'em out," or just go all in and take Slippery Bogle.

What would you do?

I would have gone Bogle because that would appeal to the way I like doing offbeat drafts

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157415821]We should do a rotisserie draft and play it out on xmage or something.[/QUOTE]

If we can schedule the matches with our opponents individually, I think that could work (i.e., run the tournament asynchronously). It might be hard to get 8 people who could be counted on to not flake out (or just be willing to accept that it would probably take 2-3 months to complete).

What do you think: Vintage? Legacy? Modern?

red13th

It was hilarious how Caleb got absolutely thrashed by White Weenie and he's like welp that's that.

Blue is good because they have the best ways to manipulate and smooth out your draws, not because they have counterspells.

yeah I basically watch to see them lose.

Firemind

One time I saw Owen Turtenwald drafting a mono red deck and his opponent played t3 TNN, t5 Sword of War and Peace, equip, then I believe another Sword on t6. welp gg

Every time I get paired to Owen, I lose. :(

y2dvd

I think Silumgar Sorcerer can be a 1 of in a control deck. Sure, it's essentially a counter target creature spell for 3 mana, but say you have a bunch of reactive spells to back it up, you can simply cast it as a 2/1 flying beater.

Firemind

LOL another CFB cube video where blue gets rekt by White Weenie.

I didn't know HAUMPH was Paul's handle. Hm. I think I played against him before.

MjFrancis

I've preordered nothing from this set and I regret nothing. I'm not savvy enough to pick the next Tasigur so I've sat this one out. Like all sets prices will generally fall for the weeks after release. My Abzan Aggro deck will take me through rotation (or at least until Origins) and I don't see any new Modern staples (save for Atarka's Command or maybe Collected Company).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom