• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmang

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159518221]If I seriously start playing Modern I'm gonna play Grixis Twin, but I don't wanna get banned.[/QUOTE]

If you're worried about bannings then definitely stay away from Tier 1 combo decks in Modern.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Took the Temur Dragons deck to a 3-1 in the daily. Barely lost to Abzan Control (opponent called it that but it seemed very much to be midrange, lost G3 with him on 3 life and me hoping to topdeck a Stormbreath or a Crater's Claws) and then I went on to beat RDW (I left Atarka in post board and mopped up a ton of dudes when I managed to ramp to it), Ascendancy Tokens (without any Enchantment hate, just Wild Slash and Seismic Rupture), and a second Ascendancy Tokens deck.

I'm surprised how much game the deck has against aggro in game one. Caryatid and Courser are just obnoxious as fuck roadblocks and Savage Knucklebro was my all-star in most games. He's easily the best creature nobody is playing because he has silly color requirements.

If you're worried about bannings then definitely stay away from Tier 1 combo decks in Modern.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're like "we're banning Deceiver Exarch" to try and weaken the deck and technically say that Twin isn't banned.

The thing that kind of annoys me is that I've learned the game to a passable standard but I still don't understand deck building properly. Does anyone here have any good comprehensive guides to card analysis (how to actually judge a card that's playable), manabases and manacurves (terms that kind of still elude me) and other such intricacies that aren't immediately obvious.

I would honestly start by plowing through the old Magic Academy column on the mothership: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/academy/home That covers the basics enough to get familiar with the terminology and rules of thumb.

I would honestly start by plowing through the old Magic Academy column on the mothership: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/academy/home That covers the basics enough to get familiar with the terminology and rules of thumb.
I'll tell you what... I really miss the old Wizards of the Coast forums, before they were destroyed by WotC's social media failure. In my opinion they were among the very best-behaved and intellectual forums on the web. Good times.

Anyways, I'm bumping into a ton of R/W tokens. As in, 4/5 opponents. Is it because the decks are so cheap they flood the casual play? I'd imagine more planeswalkers and dragons are frequent in the higher brackets.

Well, with Game Day a week away, I'm trying to finalize my Deck for it. I learned my lessons from last Game Day(I panicked and slapped together an Abzan deck that was 90% Gain Lands because I wanted to splash blue I thought I'd run it by you guys, as I want it to be a surprise.

Counter on me(GW Counters)

2x Abzan Battle Priest
3x Abzan Falconer
2x Ainok Guide
3x Archetype of Courage
2x Banishing Light
2x Bow of Nylea
3x Citadel Siege
3x Dromoka's Command
2x Elite Scaleguard
1x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
10x Forest
2x Genesis Hydra
3x Hardened Scales
3x Inspiring Call
10x Plains
3x Reap What Is Sown
2x Servant of the Scale
3x Tuskguard Captain
1x Windswept Heath

Sideboard:
1x Banishing Light
2x Daghatar the Adamant
2x Defiant Strike
2x Devouring Light
2x Dragonscale General
2x Gleam of Authority
2x Pressure Point
2x Sandblast

I'll tell you what... I really miss the old Wizards of the Coast forums, before they were destroyed by WotC's social media failure. In my opinion they were among the very best-behaved and intellectual forums on the web. Good times.

Anyways, I'm bumping into a ton of R/W tokens. As in, 4/5 opponents. Is it because the decks are so cheap they flood the casual play? I'd imagine more planeswalkers and dragons are frequent in the higher brackets.

Token-based strategies are very good right now, in addition to being relatively inexpensive.

Firemind

It's too bad Bile Blight exists. And before that, Detention Sphere.

Unrelated, but I had to order another foil atarka because the one I received is a slight miscut. It just rubs me the wrong way for some stupid reason if the borders aren't symmetrical.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Man, even HoFers make rookie mistakes. Chapin with the game lose from putting Taisigur into his hand off of Ajani without revealing it.

The "lets pretend cameras don't exist" thing is so damn stupid.

Not at all. You should be held to the same standards on camera or off.

"Ooops, I committed a game loss penalty, but because I'm lucky enough to be at one of the featured matches, I don't actually lose my game. What luck!"

kirblar

Not at all. You should be held to the same standards on camera or off.

"Ooops, I committed a game loss penalty, but because I'm lucky enough to be at one of the featured matches, I don't actually lose my game. What luck!"
You are held to the same standards.

The camera is merely a tool thats available. Doesn't provide an advantage or disadvantage, it's just a tool. You would still get a warning.

kirblar

Soorani via twitter, agree 100%-

Judges use "outside information/ personal discretion" when making rulings regularly. Bogus

I've testified on situations I saw as a third party previously. Am I more reliable than a camera?

ultron87

Yeah, being able to get lucky and having a tape to save yourself from a game loss would set a super bad precedent. Judge needs to shut him down and move this along.

noolli

Neo Member
It's totally fine to use the cameras for rulings. If there is anything they can use to make a more accurate ruling then the judges should feel obliged to use it especially when it is something as credible as the commentary team or the video.

ultron87

Soorani via twitter, agree 100%-

I've testified on situations I saw as a third party previously. Am I more reliable than a camera?

This is a situation where they wouldn't take someone else's testimony to prove it one way or another. It's a specific thing laid out in the IPG. It's not a "he said" "she said" thing. Patrick agrees exactly with what he did, and the penalty for that is a game loss.

kirblar

This is a situation where they wouldn't take someone else's testimony to prove it one way or another. It's a specific thing laid out in the IPG. It's not a "he said" "she said" thing. Patrick agrees exactly with what he did, and the penalty for that is a game loss.
But it is, if multiple third parties saw the card and it didn't get mixed into the hand, I've seen this type of thing left as a warning before.

(Accumulated warnings lead to game losses anyway.)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man, even HoFers make rookie mistakes. Chapin with the game lose from putting Taisigur into his hand off of Ajani without revealing it.

Man, how does that even happen? Flipping around a card I grab from the library is more habit for me then not, I get tripped up on the few rare effects that don't require me to reveal, since I'm so used to it

You are held to the same standards.

The camera is merely a tool thats available. Doesn't provide an advantage or disadvantage, it's just a tool. You would still get a warning.

And in this case, the camera is a tool that shows he broke the rules. :)

You shouldn't get a free pass on breaking the rules just because the camera shows that "it didn't matter" or anything similar.

This exact thing happened in the semifinals of PT DKA; I think it was Finkel who held up game four for something like 20 minutes while they tried to run back the tape. They changed the rule after that specifically to disallow replay because it's incredibly disruptive and not really fair.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You have to admit it's not the worst Judge call Chapin has had to face.

(I can't imagine the stream comments missed that joke)

ultron87

But it is, if multiple third parties saw the card and it didn't get mixed into the hand, I've seen this type of thing left as a warning before.

(Accumulated warnings lead to game losses anyway.)

That isn't how it is in the current version of policy. It'd be wrong to apply it that way here.

"An error that an opponent can’t verify the legality of should have its penalty upgraded. These errors involve misplaying hidden information, such as the morph ability or failing to reveal a card to prove that a choice made was a legal one."

It's specifically "the opponent". Not a judge, a camera, or the guy standing behind you because they want all matches to be adjudicated the same.

He might've had a shot with arguing that it wasn't part of their hand since he just set it on top, but there's an official line of "when it touches the other cards" to be considered part of the hand. That'd get super murky if you put in exceptions like "not fully touching" or "not mixed in".

Also, I refuse to watch these things out of order, so all I really know from this is that I have a very awkward moment coming up on the replay that I can look forward to.

Cedric has some very strong opinions about this on Twitter, and if it's what you guys say it is, I can't help but agree with this:

@CedricAPhillips said:
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ

This miiiiight get me to write an article. Of all things...

NONE of this should be on camera FYI. Literally NONE OF IT.

PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT PAT STARTED PLAYING IN AN ERA THAT YOU COULD INFLUENCE THE JUDGES! WHAT DOES THAT ACCOMPLISH?! IT IS HORRIBLE PRESS!

IT IS LITERALLY THE WORST THING YOU CAN SAY! YOU ARE IMPLYING THAT HE IS TRYING TO DO HORRIBLE THINGS TO A JUDGE RIGHT NOW.

In a situation like that, you can stay for a bit, but when things get hairy, you cut away and let the judges and players talk it out. After the fact, you interview the judge and have them explain the ruling (hopefully with instant replay of how the Ajani was resolved).

It is preferred for the judge to explain why the camera cannot be used in these instances and to site the exact rule. Additionally have the judge cite instances on when it can be reversed. It should be an educational moment given that the PT's target audience is lower/mid level players who you want to start playing Magic. Seeing that does NOT make lower/mid level players want to play Magic.

It makes it about something else entirely. Rules are important and how you explain them is equally important. That did not do that.

It was an honest mistake but saying he's trying to wiggle out of something is REAL bad. Mentioning the 90s cheating era is equally as bad.

kirblar

Policy should allow for games to flow to their natural outcome whenever possible. If policy isn't doing that, the policy needs to change.

I don't normally agree w/ Cedric, but he's right that they handled this horribly on coverage. However, I don't think that was a bad thing for the game overall.

Matriox

You walk away from the thread for an hour and come back to this mess.

Jeeze louise!

Lol seriously. I went out on a food run for me and my coworkers and come back to this shit.

Ahem. We call her "Maternal Witness."

I even thought about writing Maternal Witness as I was typing it up... But I couldn't remember if that was a common name on here or just between friends/reddit or wherever I had read it lol. Mah bad.

Arksy

Agreed, that whole thing should have been cut. The head judge made the right call...which sucks because it was such a fucking amazing game up until that point. I agree that the game state was repairable and he did offer to reveal his entire hand...but the head judge had to apply the rules in a black letter manner.

Angry Grimace

So Mono Red Aggro is the most popular deck, but they also said it wasn't anywhere near the top tables...

bigkrev

Allocation e-mails for MM2015 are out

12 cases for Advanced Plus
6 cases for Advanced
3 cases for Core

It's apparently a "lot" more than MM was

So Mono Red Aggro is the most popular deck, but they also said it wasn't anywhere near the top tables...

If you are a PTQ winner/ don't have a testing team, it's a deck you play because it isn't a deck you need to playtest heavily to have a shot at success.

Firemind

Man, how does that even happen? Flipping around a card I grab from the library is more habit for me then not, I get tripped up on the few rare effects that don't require me to reveal, since I'm so used to it
One time I accidentally drew four cards with Thirst for Knowledge. I got a game loss. It happens.

You just know there will be a mono red deck in the top 8, because mono red.

Angry Grimace

Allocation e-mails for MM2015 are out

12 cases for Advanced Plus
6 cases for Advanced
3 cases for Core

It's apparently a "lot" more than MM was

If you are a PTQ winner/ don't have a testing team, it's a deck you play because it isn't a deck you need to playtest heavily to have a shot at success.

Re: MM2015, what does that even mean? How do you even know what "level" a store is?

Arksy

Re: MM2015, what does that even mean? How do you even know what "level" a store is?

It's a WoTC classification (WPN level), it depends on how many events you have, how many new players you pull and how many people you get at your events during the year.

For a store to attain an advanced classification, it has to have over 100 unique players, host an event with more than 32 players at least once per year and sign up like 20 new players by getting them dci numbers and a bunch of other things.

More info here!

Angry Grimace

It's a WoTC classification (WPN level), it depends on how many events you have, how many new players you pull and how many people you get at your events during the year.

For a store to attain an advanced classification, it has to have over 100 unique players, host an event with more than 32 players at least once per year and sign up like 20 new players by getting them dci numbers and a bunch of other things.

More info here!

I don't know what my store has but it sounds like the biggest one. For whatever reason we have like 3 ridiculously popular LGS in our area.

hey magic GAF.

I used to play this game a ton and very competively. a states top 8, regionals top 8, PTQ top 8 and several other top 16s if I recall. I quit playing around 2011 after I sold a set of jace the mind sculptor for about 200.00 and never recovered from that. lol

sold the rest of the collection shortly after.

Even thuogh I dont play anymore I still enjoying watching the Pro tour coverage and Channelfireball.

I was thinking of getting back into it but am worried about the cost. how is standard these days? any singles up to 50 bucks. how has the game changed. same old same old just new cards or has the matchups changed signifaclty.

whats the word on magic these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom