• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

I'm mostly interested in constructing them to play together for casual play. I'm mostly making them out of cards I already own and/or were in the 2014 Commander decks. I'm thinking I'll just make them those colors and if its actually oppressive, I'll just change the commander, fuck it.

Gotcha. I'd think he'd still be manageable. Depending on how casual we're talking its a good way to teach saving mana for spot removal when playing against him, or teaching when to hold countermagic when playing as him. (Not teaching you obviously, again I wasn't sure the context of Casual you were referring to).

ultron87

Sort of makes me wonder how much uproar this one is going to cause. Chapin is very well liked, but if it was anybody else, people would already be calling for his banning.

You could kind of tell he was pretty flustered for a lot of that match and was trying to play fast. In the gif you can also see him skip the scry on Read the Bones, which ain't exactly a high value "cheat". Forgetting he'd already made a land drop way back before doing a bunch of actions isn't that unbelievable.

freakonomicsacx3g.jpg

Start looking at some numbers, kids

Bruh

I'm Bolas's biggest fan. If I had an Ugin right now I would rip it to pieces.
Yeah, well, I'm all about that discard and countermagic and yung pyromancer.

You can keep that card nobody plays.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You could kind of tell he was pretty flustered for a lot of that match and was trying to play fast. In the gif you can also see him skip the scry on Read the Bones, which ain't exactly a high value "cheat". Forgetting he'd already made a land drop way back before doing a bunch of actions isn't that unbelievable.

That's just cocaine.

2nd reference to Chapin's drug-related criminal history on this page!

trumangc

Neo Member
Went 3-0 in a swiss event with UR tempo.
xtuNCFX.png
This was my second DTK draft, first on MTGO. Atark Efreet is easily one of the best commons, but I have a feeling that it will get worse once the player base becomes more familiar with the morphs in this set, as I've found a lot of Efreet's value comes from stealing wins from people who don't want to chump block it while face down.
Volcanic Vision was unreal the one time I actually cast it. I have high hopes for Profaner of the Dead, but I never had any good exploit targets for it in my deck.

kirblar

Patrick Sullivan ‏@BasicMountain 12m12 minutes ago

Presenting 53 and palming 7 is some cartoon super villain shit.
Tom Martell
‏@tommartell

I was shocked to learn that the guy who had 5+ turn 1 Amulet kills at GP Vancouver was DQ'd today for palming his starting 7. Shocked!
Stephen Speck, apparently. A lesser-known Snorlax variant, apparently.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do they even do lifetime bans? Don't you have to like actually beat the shit out of another player to get that?

Allocation e-mails for MM2015 are out

12 cases for Advanced Plus
6 cases for Advanced
3 cases for Core

It's apparently a "lot" more than MM was

Guy announcing this is getting 12 cases of MM2, and got 2 of MMA when that came out. (Which fits with the 4-8x printrun figures we've been hearing.) It's not a lot, but it's a lot more than the first one.

I didn't think of this before, but will this make prices in Modern and Legacy go up eventually? Won't less product overall be opened then, since there's less time in standard per set?

The single biggest factor in how much sets are opened is draft, followed by prerelease expectations. A shorter Standard stay shouldn't even rate on the list of factors.

Stephen Speck, apparently. A lesser-known Snorlax variant, apparently.

This slang is new to me.

Angry Grimace

Its pretty comical how low I got my meaningless MTGO rating. I think my limited rating was in the 1490s and I had my constructed rating at like 1480 for a while playing ridiculous variants of Mardu aggro trying to tune a list that never came to fruition. The thing you have to realize is, that's like 10 straight sanctioned match losses in a row
KuGsj.gif
. Its probably more on the whole when you consider a loss is wroth less and less point less as you go.

This would be a lot cheaper and easier if the tournament practice room wasn't total shit.

Angry Grimace

The T1 deck being referenced was Amulet of Vigor at the last Modern PT (which has a very small % chance of T1ing).

It wasn't the PT (he would have gotten busted really fast there since its 300 rules lawyers in a room). It was just some GP.

Wichu

Glad to see morphmantiflayer doing well at the Pro Tour. Jamie Parke is 3-1-1 in Standard, after 3-0ing the draft.

Also the 4-1 Strength from the Fallen deck looks sweet.

Matriox

Glad to see morphmantiflayer doing well at the Pro Tour. Jamie Parke is 3-1-1 in Standard, after 3-0ing the draft.

Also the 4-1 Strength from the Fallen deck looks sweet.

I just cant help that Strength from the Fallen just melts away against Back to Nature. Guy didn't see any, so gotta pick your battles for sure, but my LGS seems like every other player has them..

Angry Grimace

I just cant help that Strength from the Fallen just melts away against Back to Nature. Guy didn't see any, so gotta pick your battles for sure, but my LGS seems like every other player has them..

I've literally never seen someone play that card.

Matriox

I've literally never seen someone play that card.

Yeah well my LGS thinks Siege Rhino should be banned in modern and standard... I wish I had better options lol.

EDIT: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=82303 Huzzah! 2nd place deck at the last SCG Open has a copy! lol... Last week when I didn't have work somebody had an entire playset in his board. He said he didn't have better options for getting rid of jeskai ascendancy and frontier siege.

Angry Grimace

I won a game on a mulligan to 3 cards becuase my opponent boarded in a full set of Duress. Against my Dragons deck.

Would this card see any play?

Leaf Charm 1G

Choose one or both:
  • Add GGG to your mana pool.
  • Put a 1/1 Saproling Token onto the battlefield.
Forest Cycling 1G

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159665851]Would this card see any play?

Leaf Charm 1G

Choose one or both:
  • Add GGG to your mana pool.
  • Put a 1/1 Saproling Token onto the battlefield.
Forest Cycling 1G[/QUOTE]It would see play without the second mode.

Angry Grimace

Seems like Jeskai Dragons is the real deal. Wish I'd gotten a playset of Ojutai.
Ojutai is a card I'm annoyed at because any idiot could see that it's super good for 5 mana. Except me, I guess. Definitely gonna be a huge thing when Stormbreath isn't crowding that spot.

kirblar

Ojutai is a card I'm annoyed at because any idiot could see that it's super good for 5 mana. Except me, I guess. Definitely gonna be a huge thing when Stormbreath isn't crowding that spot.
My buddy Travis Allen didn't get it either. I was like "Oh, it's a way better Prognostic Sphinx!" - and I tried to make that card work for months last year.

Angry Grimace

My buddy Travis Allen didn't get it either. I was like "Oh, it's a way better Prognostic Sphinx!" - and I tried to make that card work for months last year.

It's a 5/4 flying with a conditional of the dumbest-good keyword. The anticipate ability is just more dumb on top.

Arksy

For MM2, is it one delivery to stores only? As in advanced plus store is getting 12 cases and that's it for MM2. (I know it's a limited run but I'm not sure how limited).

Yeef

For MM2, is it one delivery to stores only? As in advanced plus store is getting 12 cases and that's it for MM2. (I know it's a limited run but I'm not sure how limited).
For MM1 there were 2 shipments, but the second shipment was ridiculously small. If I remember correctly our first shipment was like 5 or 6 cases and our second shipment was 2 boxes (boxes are 3 to a case).

ElyrionX

Those are cases, not boxes (Cases have 6 boxes). Even small stores are getting 18 boxes in the initial shipment, and large stores are getting over 70 boxes

Most stores got 2 or fewer cases of MM1

I know the difference between cases and boxes. It's still too little but you're saying there will be more than one shipment?

Angry Grimace

I'm telling you guys. Temur Dragons is legit as fuck lol.

Working on only my second DTK draft since the format came out on Magic Online. I see Citadel Siege is still a card. *barf*

EDIT: Went 2-1 in both of my two drafts today. I had a shitty RB aggro deck in the first draft (so I was happy enough with a 2-1), and actually a good BW aggro deck in the second draft (but got smashed by mana issues and Citadel Siege).

And holy crap - this format has 100x more removal than has become the norm. It's really interesting.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159683146]I can't play anything but whip decks. I pretty much only play one standard deck a season.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just got stomped by a Whip deck. Fucking Den Protector man.

That and Sidisi are a beating. The Whip is almost excessive.

Beat up FNM at a new place tonight with Gw Devotion. Played nothing but aggro all night and one control player. At 11:30pm, all of top 8 agree to split except him. The lone control player. We all also have states in the morning. I pick up my first loss on the night to my round 1 opponent in the quarters and go home.

BUT! Someone opened a box there tonight and I traded for a Raptor, a Collected Company, and a foil Collected Company. So I have my temur deck all put together. Now it's a matter of if I want to play it in place of the Gw deck tomorrow or not.

The List:
4x Rattleclaw Mystic
4x Frost Walker
4x Heir of the Wilds
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Savage Knuckleblade
3x Deathmist Raptor
3x Boon Satyr

4x Collected Company
2x Stubborn Denial
2x Crater's Claws
2x Atarka's Command
2x Temur Battle Rage

4x Frontier Bivouac
4x Yavamaya Coast
3x Wooded Foothills
2x Shivan Reef
2x Mana Confluence
3x Temple of Abandon
1x Temple of Mystery
1x Island
1x Mountain
2x Forest

(Yes, I know I need to cut a spell. I juuuust got 4 cards for the deck tonight.)

SB
3x Flamewake Phoenix
3x Fanatic of Xenagos
3x Lightning Strike
2x Stubborn Denial
2x Negate
2x Hornet Nest

Should I have any amount of confidence in this list against a large field?

Firemind

So this Stephen Speck cheated all the way to the finals of GP Omaha and top 8 GP Vancouver before he got caught? I feel sorry for his opponents. Apparently, he was pretty clueless too. From Reddit:

I remember being completely shocked that he didn't understand the Hive Mind / Pact of Negation interaction when I was watching the finals of GP Omaha (at 13:24).

He has Hive Mind in play and Pact of Negation in his hand, and his opponent plays Birthing Pod. If he just casts the Pact, then the Hive Mind copy either counters the Pod, meaning the original Pact is countered for having an illegal target, or it counters the original Pact and thus it doesn't resolve. Either way, he doesn't have to pay for his own Pact but the opponent does.

Instead he just lets it resolve and then loses because his opponent tutors up enchantment destruction and removes the Hive Mind.
smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom