• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Prices are generally way down overall- cards top out at 30-35, and that's rare - there's just a lot more product being opened. You can definitely get in cheaper. Standard is also moving to a twice-yearly rotation, which should cut down prices as well.

Okay guys, I need some advice. I'm picking up some packs to do a grab bag draft. Should I:

1) Pay less by buying random packs from E-Bay, assuming that they're coming from mapped boxes and won't have anything good in them
2) Pay more by buying from CardKingdom, assuming that they're more likely to have good rares.

Arksy

Does anyone have a good link on how the jeskai ascendancy combo deck works? I think I get the basic idea (bouncing dragon mantle infinitely with retraction helix and caryatid with ascendancy out, and digging till you kill with villainous wealth)...but it'd be nice if it could be spelled out for us newbies/bad players.

Matriox

hey magic GAF.

I used to play this game a ton and very competively. a states top 8, regionals top 8, PTQ top 8 and several other top 16s if I recall. I quit playing around 2011 after I sold a set of jace the mind sculptor for about 200.00 and never recovered from that. lol

sold the rest of the collection shortly after.

Even thuogh I dont play anymore I still enjoying watching the Pro tour coverage and Channelfireball.

I was thinking of getting back into it but am worried about the cost. how is standard these days? any singles up to 50 bucks. how has the game changed. same old same old just new cards or has the matchups changed signifaclty.

whats the word on magic these days

Welcome back. The costs aren't as bad as they were IMO, but they havn't changed much. Ugin and Narset are hovering around $30-$35, but they aren't playsets at least. The game is as popular as ever, so finding a spot to play at shouldn't be an issue.

Does anyone have a good link on how the jeskai ascendancy combo deck works? I think I get the basic idea (bouncing dragon mantle infinitely with retraction helix and caryatid with ascendancy out, and digging till you kill with villainous wealth)...but it'd be nice if it could be spelled out for us newbies/bad players.

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2j27sc/can_someone_explain_the_infinite_jeskai/

Might be helpful, it hasn't been updated with DTK so I'm not sure what has changed with the current list.

OnPoint

Prices are generally way down overall- cards top out at 30-35, and that's rare - there's just a lot more product being opened. You can definitely get in cheaper. Standard is also moving to a twice-yearly rotation, which should cut down prices as well.

I didn't think of this before, but will this make prices in Modern and Legacy go up eventually? Won't less product overall be opened then, since there's less time in standard per set?

There are several varieties on Jeskai Ascendancy combo decks. Some prefer to just keep on boosting creatures until they become huge, some bounce 0-mana artifacts, etc. My understanding is that nowadays, most Standard decks that use it don't try to go for the combo, but just supplement their aggro decks.

By the way, does anyone know if it's actually seeing play in Modern anymore? I haven't seen anything about it since it turned out it didn't get banned.

Yeef

You kill with Altar of the brood, not villainous wealth. Alternately, you just make one of your dudes infinitely large and swing.

There was one version that used nissa since she makes lands into 4/4 trampling mana dorks.

The basic idea is that you generate infinite mana and draw infinite cards until you reach a win condition. Caryatid is the ideal mana dork because it has hexproof.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
hey magic GAF.

I used to play this game a ton and very competively. a states top 8, regionals top 8, PTQ top 8 and several other top 16s if I recall. I quit playing around 2011 after I sold a set of jace the mind sculptor for about 200.00 and never recovered from that. lol

sold the rest of the collection shortly after.

Even thuogh I dont play anymore I still enjoying watching the Pro tour coverage and Channelfireball.

I was thinking of getting back into it but am worried about the cost. how is standard these days? any singles up to 50 bucks. how has the game changed. same old same old just new cards or has the matchups changed signifaclty.

whats the word on magic these days

The most expensive card in standard is a 30 dollar Planeswalker that's a max 2-of. (well there's a 2nd Planeswalker that's 34 from the last set, but its likely to go down rapidly after the PT since it doesn't appear to be highly represented.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Both are likely to stay put, imo.

I think Narset will be 20 within a couple months. I don't think its gonna crash, but 35 is an unsustainable price unless the card is absolutely dominant at this PT (its not been dominant at any of the SCG events...)

f0rk

The issue is Mastery of the Unseen- it's a horrifically stupid card because of the scaling repetitive lifegain.

I think Whisperwood is dumb as well. When I want to gum up a board with 2/2s I play limited

Why is Paulo's deck named U/B when he has like 5 white lands in play? And is the blue in Wescoe's 'Bant' deck only for Ojuntai?

OnPoint

Manifest looks like a dumb constructed mechanic

I have an idea for a Modern Manifest deck. I just haven't built it yet. I was about to and then Mastery made its jump in Standard and I got discouraged from buying them and more than a dollar a piece.

I should probably just do it.

Matriox

Wasn't on camera for very long, but wasn't expecting to see Stratus Dancer. Seems really good against control mirrors for sure.\

EDIT: Lol, dat Sam Black Scuttling Doom Engine.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159518221]If I seriously start playing Modern I'm gonna play Grixis Twin, but I don't wanna get banned.[/QUOTE]

UR Twin is more fun. It can even be built to be semi-control.

kirblar

Wasn't on camera for very long, but wasn't expecting to see Stratus Dancer. Seems really good against control mirrors for sure.
I picked up sets of the entire 2/1 megamorph cycle for a buck each during preorders. They're too efficient not to see play in some form.

ElyrionX

Allocation e-mails for MM2015 are out

12 cases for Advanced Plus
6 cases for Advanced
3 cases for Core

It's apparently a "lot" more than MM was

This is absolutely pathetic. Shit like this makes me want to quit the game. They can devalue the shit out of my cards, just give me cheap cards to buy wtf.

Matriox

I picked up sets of the entire 2/1 megamorph cycle for a buck each during preorders. They're too efficient not to see play in some form.

I held mine from presales because I liked them a lot, just really wasn't something I was expecting. Glad to see it though.

bigkrev

LOL Sam Black just slowrolling Josh

He has a Scuttling Doom Engine and Boon Satyr with Josh at 1, and is holding a Chandra Pyromaster. He only attacks with Doom Engine for 2 turns in a row and never plays the Chandra, just to get the kill with Doom Engine.

bigkrev

This is absolutely pathetic. Shit like this makes me want to quit the game. They can devalue the shit out of my cards, just give me cheap cards to buy wtf.

Those are cases, not boxes (Cases have 6 boxes). Even small stores are getting 18 boxes in the initial shipment, and large stores are getting over 70 boxes

Most stores got 2 or fewer cases of MM1

The most expensive card in standard is a 30 dollar Planeswalker that's a max 2-of. (well there's a 2nd Planeswalker that's 34 from the last set, but its likely to go down rapidly after the PT since it doesn't appear to be highly represented.)

that sounds great. alot better than a deck consisting of

4x jace at 50.00 each
2-3 gideon at 40.00 each

and the list goes on........

althuogh at the time my favorite deck was turboland

which ahd the aforementioned Jace, lotus cobra at 20 each, avenger of zenidkar at 10 each
and the fetches at 10 each.

any great U/G midrange or ramp decks viable now? my favorite type. if thiere was a viable U/G deck in the format I was playing it. My first regional top 8 was in 2006 with a U/G tron deck that had vesuvan shapeshifter/ brine elemntal combo. super fun

4x jace at 50.00 each
2-3 gideon at 40.00 each

which ahd the aforementioned Jace, lotus cobra at 20 each, avenger of zenidkar at 10 each

any great U/G midrange or ramp decks viable now? my favorite type. if thiere was a viable U/G deck in the format I was playing it. My first regional top 8 was in 2006 with a U/G tron deck that had vesuvan shapeshifter/ brine elemntal combo. super fun

I don't believe GU is all that big now, without other colors, but ramp decks are doing pretty well. Right now, a lot of decks are using this lady and/or this gentleman as finishers:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Angry Grimace

Are any decks running more than 2 Atarka?

I have yet to see one. Most G/R decks have two. I find it funny when I leave in post-board vs. RDW.

4x jace at 50.00 each
2-3 gideon at 40.00 each

GR Ramp is a pretty popular deck. It still has lots of $10 cards though; its a like $325 for the whole deck.

Matriox

I haven't seen much talk about it, but Fabiano had a Sultai Ramp/Control deck at the beginning of Fate Reforged that was pretty cool too.

This following his shady actions prior to the WC doesn't really reflect well on his character. Does he has a longer history of unsportsmanlike conduct?

Kacar

I think the move from showing some of the new sets various artwork between/before matches during coverage which showcases something really cool about Magic to showing some lame-ass CG video was a bad move. I'm sure it's been mentioned before. I know this was 1st done in PT Theros but it still always bugs me now.

Yeef

Those are cases, not boxes (Cases have 6 boxes). Even small stores are getting 18 boxes in the initial shipment, and large stores are getting over 70 boxes

Most stores got 2 or fewer cases of MM1
Modern Masters cases only have 3 boxes.

FYI, the way Wizards is doing allocation is different from the first Modern Masters. With MM1 each distributor managed their own allocation. What a specific store got was up to whims of the distributors; there were no guarantees.

For MM2015, each store had to register for boxes (similar to from the vault) and are guaranteed to get those boxes, then the normal allocation system exists on top of that. So, for example, an advanced level store is guaranteed 6 cases no matter what, but can still (potentially) order more from other distributors.

ironmang

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159624079]They should just let people fight it out like in the FGC.[/QUOTE]

After hours money matches would be dope.

Angry Grimace

Makes me wonder how often that stuff gets missed.

Its not cheating unless you get caught and given that its the Pro Tour with money on the line, I wouldn't be surprised at all if cheating was rampant to the extent they can get away with it. Rules lawyering is already a big thing.

Angry Grimace

I'm gonna make an Ojutai EDH deck vs. one of the other guys, but I'm a little concerned I won't be able to balance them out. Ojutai himself seems kind of BS in EDH, I don't know.

OnPoint

Sort of makes me wonder how much uproar this one is going to cause. Chapin is very well liked, but if it was anybody else, people would already be calling for his banning.

I like Chapin to a degree but if other people were banned based on replays showing them cheating then he shouldn't get any special treatment.

Matriox

I'm gonna make an Ojutai EDH deck vs. one of the other guys, but I'm a little concerned I won't be able to balance them out. Ojutai himself seems kind of BS in EDH, I don't know.

I'd be more scared of Silumgar over Ojutai. The ever looming threat of taking a planeswalker would make me not want to play planeswalkers lol. UB has a ton of infinite combos too.

Angry Grimace

I'd be more scared of Silumgar over Ojutai. The ever looming threat of taking a planeswalker would make me not want to play planeswalkers lol. UB has a ton of infinite combos too.

I'm mostly interested in constructing them to play together for casual play. I'm mostly making them out of cards I already own and/or were in the 2014 Commander decks. I'm thinking I'll just make them those colors and if its actually oppressive, I'll just change the commander, fuck it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom