• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you're gonna play Esper, Ojutai is a better reason to do it than Narset imo

I have to say, I really like the variety of decks appearing. Even the two most similar decks in the top 8, blue-black control, are different in that the second one splashes white.

I figured that Dragons would shake up Standard more than many were predicting during spoiler season, but I'm surprised by how much. We're even seeing a good number of morph cards being played (albeit not enough that it would actually be a mystery what it is if you know the deck archetype).

Also, though it lost, can someone link me to the Strength from the Fallen deck that someone was playing in the tournament?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Morph is a frustrating mechanic because I really do wish the bluffing aspect could show up at a constructed level but I absolutely understand why it can't

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Should be playing both.

Not according to the dude playing Ojutai in the top 8.

Morph is a frustrating mechanic because I really do wish the bluffing aspect could show up at a constructed level but I absolutely understand why it can't

They'd all have to be good. At this point its Den Protector and ?????

Jhriad

They'd all have to be good. At this point its Den Protector and ?????

I've had some luck with Hidden Dragonslayer in a BW Warriors deck I'm running. It gets played as a two drop lifelinker a lot of the time but then I've been playing it against RW and Jeskai Aggro decks for the most part. It just happens to fit that deck because it's base power is 2 and I can bring it back with Alesha (whom I splashed a tiny bit of red for) and if I happen to manifest it with a Sultai Emissary trigger it's a nice bonus.

Angry Grimace

I remember way back when Sidisi was spoiled, we were asking why Exploit was a keyword and not an ability word.

Now that I think about it, it seems like the obvious answer is to that the opposing player can respond to the Exploit trigger to prevent it (by, say aiming a Hero's Downfall at Sidisi), unlike a normal ETB effect.

So I recorded myself doing another DTK draft today, thinking I might share it with you guys. I ended up with a really solid GR midrange deck that I thought had what it took. I don't think I'll share the match. I got a little salty in the finals, losing to Cached Defenses in game 1 and 3. Turns out that the removal in GR just can't beat that card. Oh yeah; and he had Whisperwood Elemental too as his follow up behind his voltron after I finally did answer it.

To be perfectly clear - I don't think Cached Defenses is a terrible card; I just think it's the classic high variance card that shouldn't be in your deck because it's awful 60% of the time, mediocre 20% of the time, and the best card in your deck the other 20% of the time. If he had brought it in from the sideboard against me, then fine (I actually deliberately drafted a Temur Runemark for the sideboard to come in against decks without removal), but he didn't - it was a maindeck card for him.

I really wish MTGO would bring 6-2-2-2 into the regular queues. What I hate about Swiss is how random it is; you get a lot of terrible, terrible players, who sometimes give you free wins and sometimes mise the dumbest wins against you because the "worst" card in the set happens to be the one card that beats you. Or you spend a minute mulling over how to block to beat various combat tricks, and it turns out they just did the math wrong and were chump attacking.

But I really don't want to play 8-4s, because if I'm going to pay what is nominally $14 to draft, I'm not okay with only getting one match out of it. I want a queue that will attract better players, but still give me full value.

I'm really just salty because my rating has gone down after three straight 2-1s in DTK Swiss. I'm not above 1800 anymore. :p

Angry Grimace

So I recorded myself doing another DTK draft today, thinking I might share it with you guys. I ended up with a really solid GR midrange deck that I thought had what it took. I don't think I'll share the match. I got a little salty in the finals, losing to Cached Defenses in game 1 and 3. Turns out that the removal in GR just can't beat that card. Oh yeah; and he had Whisperwood Elemental too as his follow up behind his voltron after I finally did answer it.

To be perfectly clear - I don't think Cached Defenses is a terrible card; I just think it's the classic high variance card that shouldn't be in your deck because it's awful 60% of the time, mediocre 20% of the time, and the best card in your deck the other 20% of the time. If he had brought it in from the sideboard against me, then fine (I actually deliberately drafted a Temur Runemark for the sideboard to come in against decks without removal), but he didn't - it was a maindeck card for him.

I really wish MTGO would bring 6-2-2-2 into the regular queues. What I hate about Swiss is how random it is; you get a lot of terrible, terrible players, who sometimes give you free wins and sometimes mise the dumbest wins against you because the "worst" card in the set happens to be the one card that beats you. Or you spend a minute mulling over how to block to beat various combat tricks, and it turns out they just did the math wrong and were chump attacking.

But I really don't want to play 8-4s, because if I'm going to pay what is nominally $14 to draft, I'm not okay with only getting one match out of it. I want a queue that will attract better players, but still give me full value.

I'm really just salty because my rating has gone down after three straight 2-1s in DTK Swiss. I'm not above 1800 anymore. :p

My limited rating is like 1570 if it makes you feel better.

Speaking of which, after a few weeks of drafting, would you guys say that Fate Reforged adds much to the Dragons of Tarkir draft, or would 3x Dragons have been better? I know you guys didn't like Fate Reforged with Khans all that much, so I'm curious if it works here. I haven't gotten around to drafting Dragons yet.

Speaking of which, after a few weeks of drafting, would you guys say that Fate Reforged adds much to the Dragons of Tarkir draft, or would 3x Dragons have been better? I know you guys didn't like Fate Reforged with Khans all that much, so I'm curious if it works here. I haven't gotten around to drafting Dragons yet.

Fate Reforged is trying to serve too many masters. It's very clever that they made it work, but I think triple DTK would be just as good if not better (because you wouldn't have to deal with the stupidly powerful rares in FRF). Plus, FRF has these weird gold cards that are are aligned differently than the gold cards in DTK.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159750298]Sultai Emissary and Jeskai Sage are too important for the format for triple Dragons to be better.[/QUOTE]

I've never gotten Exploit to work as it is, though =(

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159750298]Sultai Emissary and Jeskai Sage are too important for the format for triple Dragons to be better.[/QUOTE]

Jeskai Sage is just a different flavor of Palace Familiar.

I'll give you that Sultai Emissary is great, but you could just have another pack of Vulturous Avens and Rakshasa Gravecallers.

Firemind

TqdtLs1.png

172f6be11092b99e22a252bca40de74a.jpg

Wow, Efro and Dave Williams have made a fuck ton of money playing poker.

http://i.imgur.com/TqdtLs1.png[/ig]

[img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/17/2f/6b/172f6be11092b99e22a252bca40de74a.jpg[/ig][/QUOTE]

More white cards that red cards? Looks like you were a fake Grixis fan after all.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159756055]More white cards that red cards? Looks like you were a fake Grixis fan after all.[/QUOTE]
Red was cut off hard, man. Also, I DC'd for like two minutes.

Narset is not even worth 14 tix. Meh.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159756055]Wow, Efro and Dave Williams have made a fuck ton of money playing poker.

More white cards that red cards? Looks like you were a fake Grixis fan after all.[/QUOTE]

No idea about Efro, but Williams took second at the main WSOP in the early 2000s and made millions from that.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159756055]Wow, Efro and Dave Williams have made a fuck ton of money playing poker.[/QUOTE]

There is actual money to be made playing poker, unlike Magic.

Angry Grimace

No idea about Efro, but Williams took second at the main WSOP in the early 2000s and made millions from that.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like the kind of people who make millions gambling are the kind of people who lose millions gambling.

Unbelievable. Lost after a 48-1 life lead, after clearing the board with Duneblast because he countered with a Chain to Rocks and I could draw nothing but land again. I think I'm going to have to add x4 Read the Bones or something.

Gonna post my decklist later because it's just not satisfying me. :(

Glad to see Evan standing up for this- the video coverage rules are absolutely absurd. The bureaucratic literalism endemic to MTG judging is not a good thing.

This is the natural result of a long Wild West period. For ages Magic judging was unapologetically inconsistent and successful cheating was rampant in cash events. You want to fix that on an organizational level, you need to make things much more legalistic than is ideal in a vacuum, just to reverse the course.

Sanctioned play is getting much closer to cementing the reputation that cheaters aren't wanted (though lifetime bans would help even more), and at that point I think they can start to add some flexibility in.

Wouldn't a shorter standard stay with two set blocks mean a shorter period where sets are being drafted?

In practice there have been two large sets every other year, so it's just that every block will now have a draft pattern like ISD/DKA, ZEN/WWK, etc.
I know you guys didn't like Fate Reforged with Khans all that much, so I'm curious if it works here. I haven't gotten around to drafting Dragons yet.

Just bouncing off this: what formats are there that the small sets actually improve? ZZW is better than ZZZ, but mostly because ZZZ is miserable. TPF is better than TTT like going to Willy Wonka's candy factory is better than getting an Easter basket.

I understand that we don't like cheating, but man, I got a warning for half my deck being upside down while shuffling. You expect me to flip around the cards every time I shuffle?

bigkrev

Just bouncing off this: what formats are there that the small sets actually improve? ZZW is better than ZZZ, but mostly because ZZZ is miserable. TPF is better than TTT like going to Willy Wonka's candy factory is better than getting an Easter basket.
I like CHK/CHK/BOK more than triple champions, and MBS/SOM/SOM was more fun than triple Scars

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159761083]I understand that we don't like cheating, but man, I got a warning for half my deck being upside down while shuffling. You expect me to flip around the cards every time I shuffle?[/QUOTE]

You want to let people be able to turn certain cards upside down to be able to find them?

EDIT: It wasn't until today's draft that I internalized just how good Savage Ventmaw's ability is in a Formidable deck. So many creatures have ridiculously expensive Formidable abilities; getting to attack with Ventmaw, activate Atarka Pummeler or a Beastbreaker before blocks, and still cast a creature post combat is gas.

You want to let people be able to turn certain cards upside down to be able to find them?

EDIT: It wasn't until today's draft that I internalized just how good Savage Ventmaw's ability is in a Formidable deck. So many creatures have ridiculously expensive Formidable abilities; getting to attack with Ventmaw, activate Atarka Pummeler or a Beastbreaker before blocks, and still cast a creature post combat is gas.

Turn 4 win
  1. Elvish Mystic
  2. Shaman of the Forgotten Ways
  3. Savage Ventmaw
  4. Attack, activate Biorhythm before damage

edit: nevermind, I thought shaman had 3 power for some reason

works if you play a dryad arbor lol

I took 24th today at the States here in West Michigan. I went 4-2-1. I could have done so so much better but my loss in round six and draw in round five are a good lesson for us all in tournament preparation and execution.

Due to timing, I didn't get any more than a cup of coffee this morning and I had not eaten since about 9pm last night. What this resulted in, after four rounds of magic, is that I was low on blood sugar, hungry, and not playing at peak as a result. I also had to play Jeskai Tokens both rounds and between my deck and theirs, there was a ton of mental magic going on. At several points in both rounds there had been at least seven abilities or spells on the stack with multiple modes and activations. It was intense. And as a result, each round I got too deep in the tank and missed obvious lines of play for the win each time. And clearly the win. A friend of mine said he had to stop watching me cause my punting was getting out of hand.

I spoke with a judge, got assurance that we had some number of minutes before the last round, and ran to get a snack. Filled my stomach, and went on to stomp my opponent in the last round. We were the last ones playing, I was up a game already, and I made a misplay, but that was because I wanted to goof around. We were in turns, my turn one I played an Ugin and scorched earth all of my things and his for fun, but forgot that DLord Silumgar is 6cmc and no 5. Ah well, everyone groaned. I said I wasn't in danger of dying and it had been along day. I was at 50 life, no chance of losing in two turns. So we just shook. *shrug*

Gw Devotion performed fantastically, I just needed to take better care of the pilot. That's a lesson for us all.

Hendricks about to vomit onto the table.

dude can't think straight and is nervous as hell. Probably no sleep plus caffiene. He is going to blow chunks on Sullivan's suit.

That's the sort of misplay that will have people actively wondering just how you got to the top 8. Holy crap that was bad.

I don't have the sound on since I'm goldfishing for tomorrow's PPTQ, but I can imagine what the commentator's were saying.

I think this dude just wants to curl up and disappear right now. You can see from Sullivan's body language immediately when it happened that the game was over.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159798517]I don't have the sound on since I'm goldfishing for tomorrow's PPTQ, but I can imagine what the commentator's were saying.

I think this dude just wants to curl up and disappear right now. You can see from Sullivan's body language immediately when it happened that the game was over.[/QUOTE]
They were busy mis-analyzing the board state. (Adrian BB'd the Hydra cause he couldn't risk a post-combat Atarka coming out and putting him in a no-win position for Crux of Fate.)

Haha. Self-care. Well, there ya go. Yeah, he looks like he wasn't able to sleep and is a bundle of nerves. Sullivan is looking slick for a mid-westerner.

All I know is I want a 5-second gif of this dude that's a whole shot of one of his close ups where he's just shaking like he's about to cry.

50/50 odds on the guy even being able to sit up straight the whole round.

Speaking of taking care, I'm gonna pass out after this round and just catch the replays tomorrow. Gotta be out by 9:30.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159799720]I'm surprised that Sullivan didn't Jace's there end of turn to find crux knowing his opponent can't cast anything on three lands.[/QUOTE]
I really, really ddn't understand not doing it there- his hand is a losing one and badly needs to improve.

Maledict

That's the sort of misplay that will have people actively wondering just how you got to the top 8. Holy crap that was bad.

It's so easy to do in CCGs, especially if it's your first time. I got into the European top 8 for another CCG once, and by that point was so completely frazzled and stressed out by it made so many basic elementary errors I threw the game completely. Errors which you stop making after a day of playing the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom