• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't even been watching Magic that long, but I've been against putting people on commentary on formats that aren't their main dig. Put Marshall on the draft portions, side him on the Standard stuff, especially the top 8.

kirblar

I haven't even been watching Magic that long, but I've been against putting people on commentary on formats that aren't their main dig. Put Marshall on the draft portions, side him on the Standard stuff, especially the top 8.
It's really felt like they have some sort of requirement to put certain guys on commentary. (aka Rashad, who has no business ever going on commentary.)

kirblar

I think he has to max out Hydra here and pray. He can't win otherwise.

Ian's wrong- if he lets Adrian EoT the vault, he's not getting back into this game.

Arksy

Yes! Mono-red is through to the final, that was a great game between mono-red and UB control.

All aboard the aggro train, choo-choo!

Arksy

That was a great round between Yasooka and Strasky.

Strasky plays Atarka and kills Icefall Regent, Yasooka plays Silumgar and captures Atarka, Strasky plays a second Atarka and kills Silumgar, and then Yasooka plays a second Silumgar and captures the second Atarka.

lol.

Arksy

There seems to be quite a diverse distribution of decks. I'm new to MTG so I don't know, but I assumed in standard you usually only had two to four top decks at any one time. Is this a wider format than usual? I remember a lot of people in my LGS talking about how pre-KTK the only viable competitive decks were mono-black devotion and mono-blue devotion.

Firemind

These games are so, so bad.
I missed the quarterfinal matches. This doesn't surprise me. I'd be nervous as hell if it was my first PT top 8 and I remember he made rookie mistakes against me in the past. Playing against control isn't the easiest. Unless you're playing mono red. :lol

Come on, Shota!

Firemind

Welp

That's why you have anticipate I imagine.

I'm amazed Shota got this far without any anticipates in his 75 considering mono red is the most played deck. I suppose having dragons in the deck means he can race mono red as opposed to just sit back and eat burn spells all day.

Firemind

MTGO prices are hella wack. Mana Confluence jumped from 10 to 20 overnight. I have two, but still. Maybe I should unload them. It's not like I'm going to play standard any time soon. :lol

Edit: lol looks like Sarkhan is going to drop into non-existance.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
MTGO prices are hella wack. Mana Confluence jumped from 10 to 20 overnight. I have two, but still. Maybe I should unload them. It's not like I'm going to play standard any time soon. :lol

I told you people about Confluence. Check my post history. It was me versus the world and once again, Wandering "Motherfuckin" Wind comes out victorious.

Matriox

I thought for sure Atarka would stop at $15.. Nope..
Edit: lol looks like Sarkhan is going to drop into non-existance.

Makes me sad.

I told you people about Confluence. Check my post history. It was me versus the world and once again, Wandering "Motherfuckin" Wind comes out victorious.

I just like them because they're better than City of Brass and those see some play. Got a set of foils for $65 awhile ago because why not.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There seems to be quite a diverse distribution of decks. I'm new to MTG so I don't know, but I assumed in standard you usually only had two to four top decks at any one time. Is this a wider format than usual? I remember a lot of people in my LGS talking about how pre-KTK the only viable competitive decks were mono-black devotion and mono-blue devotion.

That's not quite true (they weren't the only viable decks in, say, the way that Caw Blade was the only viable deck) Theros did lead to a somewhat narrower standard than usual. But you're right, I think this is also a fairly unusual amount of diversity, which is great

Last standard had 4 major decks: U Devotion, Bx Devotion, Jund Planeswalkers and UW Control.

This standard season you can do whatever you want because there's like some crazy bomb 4-drop in every color combo, but to be honest I preferred the games from last season.

sphinxs-revelationhfsko.png

In my restless dreams,
I see that card.

Sphinx's Rev.

You promised me you'd draw me
cards again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm dead on board now...
playing against mono red...
Waiting for you...

Waiting for you to
gain me nine health.

But you never do.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Flavor? You mean the cloud creatures without flying? Flavor?

Gravecrawler is stronger than a normal human (zombies eat humans) but is weak (he's missing half his body) and moves so slow people can just walk around them (can't block). He is easy to kill, but keeps coming back again and again and again (zombies do that).

Now that, friendo, is flavor.

ultron87

Went to play some casual games with some friends I haven't played with before. First game I get trapped under a Stasis. Second game trapped under a Contamination. Lol.

Yet also saw the most innocent Buried Alive ever that puts 3 Reanimating Skeletons in the yard.

So I had no idea that Dragonlord Silumgar's art has Tasigur hanging from the dragon's necklace. Wicked.

At first sight I didn't care for the Khans block, but after getting into Standard I really have to say it's one of the coolest settings Magic has had in quite a while. I loved the distinctness of each of the clans in KtK, and it's cool how the timechange drastically changed the fates of the legendary creatures and clans. As a D&D nerd Tarkir is like a perfect campaign setting. Hats off to WotC because I think they set a high bar.

Jhriad

Literalism > Subjectivity. Judges need to be as consistent as possible from person to person, event to event.

EDIT: This is the cheat in question I believe. Super ballsy.

http://imgur.com/a/FfazV

This kinda shit is completely unacceptable. Deliberate, practiced cheats have to get you lifetimed. Cheating can not be allowed to lead to success.

Watching the replay of the Pro Tour and seeing this guy in the Top 8 kinda makes me sick. I assume he didn't end there. Has there been resolution to the situation?

Watching the PT (well, what I could stay up/get up for, anyway) has boosted my opinion of Dragons a little bit. A few cool cards seeing actual play in the Standard decks. Still haven't drafted it though, a little skeptical of it as a limited format.

ultron87

Casual Magic with people not really plugged into the greater Magic community is so weird. One of the guys I was playing had a deck with Underground Seas, Windfalls, Force of Wills and Demonic/Vamp tutors, but it was all for the purpose of killing you by making you draw a bunch of cards when Underworld Dreams is out. Those were just the cards he had available from when he played back in the day. He was aware of the value of cards and everything, but it was just funny to see them used for something so relatively innocent. Then his removal was Bile Blight and Tragic Slip. It was a weird array of things to play around.

y2dvd

Damn, I was planning on running Mono-Red/Atarka at Game Day, and now I'm just gonna look like a bandwagoner. :(

I mentioned facing it at FNM. A few people already had it brewed so no bandwagoning there!

Wasn't most of us negative about Dragons at first? Then again, I think y'all are too negative on most things initially anyways lol.

I mentioned facing it at FNM. A few people already had it brewed so no bandwagoning there!

Wasn't most of us negative about Dragons at first? Then again, I think y'all are too negative on most things initially anyways lol.
I seem to recall a lot of "these dragons are lame" comments, haha.

Anyways, might as well post this for critique. It's working out pretty solidly so far

Creatures (18)
x2 Anafenza, the Foremost
x4 Fleecemane Lion
x4 Siege Rhino
x4 Soldier of the Pantheon
x4 Sylvan Caryatid

Planeswalkers (1)
x1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

Spells (18)
x4 Defiant Strike
x2 Despise
x2 Dromoka's Command
x3 Read the Bones
x1 Ultimate Price
x3 Abzan Charm
x2 Utter End
x1 Duneblast

Land (23)
x3 Forest
x3 Plains
x4 Swamp
x4 Sandsteppe Citadel
x3 Blossoming Sands
x3 Scoured Barrens
x1 Cave of Koilos
x2 Llanowar Waste

Sideboard
x4 Display of Dominance
x4 Self-Inflicted Wound
x4 Surge of Righteousness
x3 Virulent Plague
Looking to add one more Anafenza for a quicker draw, one or two more Cave of Koilos and maybe one more Llanowar Waste.

The sideboard hate is amazing. By far and away I face more Heroic and token-based decks so it helps out a lot.

I think with -1 Fleecemane and +1 Annie it's pretty solid.

MjFrancis

Casual Magic with people not really plugged into the greater Magic community is so weird. One of the guys I was playing had a deck with Underground Seas, Windfalls, Force of Wills and Demonic/Vamp tutors, but it was all for the purpose of killing you by making you draw a bunch of cards when Underworld Dreams is out. Those were just the cards he had available from when he played back in the day. He was aware of the value of cards and everything, but it was just funny to see them used for something so relatively innocent. Then his removal was Bile Blight and Tragic Slip. It was a weird array of things to play around.
I've played against a similar type of person with a lot of the same cards in their deck. Casual guy playing Underground Seas, Force of Wills, Sol Ring, Demonic Tutor and Dark Rituals all to ramp out Vampires with countermagic. Thought my budget Splinter Twin deck was utter bullshit. I'm used to playing with game store casuals but this guy was a little different than what I was used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom