• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

So what do you guys think with the two versions of UB control, which do you think is the better deck overall? Yasooka's or Sullivan's?

Firemind

The one with Ojutai. Apparently, PVDR, Wrapter and Cheon have an insane w/l record with the deck. They just didn't do well enough in draft. I think playing 5 hexproof creatures and a single ugin is genius, because they can board the two elder silumgars in while their opponents board their removal out. Wrapter mentioned it's one of his strategies.

kirblar

The one with Ojutai. Apparently, PVDR, Wrapter and Cheon have an insane w/l record with the deck. They just didn't do well enough in draft. I think playing 5 hexproof creatures and a single ugin is genius, because they can board the two elder silumgars in while their opponents board their removal out. Wrapter mentioned it's one of his strategies.
Shaheen and my buddy James were putting up insane results with the archetype- I was shocked it didn't see more play.

I was chatting with Ivan Jen during the PPTQ after he lost a round to Mardu.

"I played Mardu! Mardu! Crackling Dooms!" Like it was some mythical beast.

Said the guy showing up with a 4-color combo deck.

y2dvd

So what do you guys think with the two versions of UB control, which do you think is the better deck overall? Yasooka's or Sullivan's?

Yasooka's deck. Huge fan of mainboard Thoughtseize. More Scorns mean more hard counters. Foul-Tongue is awesome with 4 life gain and it hits opposing hexproof dragonlords. And Yasooka's deck just have more win conditions.

I'm still running Esper for Otujai Dragonlord/Command, Utter End, and I'm trying to be cute throwing in one Soulfire Grandmaster. I get to eventually bring it back with Otujai Command and with so many mana up late game, I just keep recycling my spells.

Joe Molotov

I don't have a standard deck period. And it's going for more than 20 bucks most likely. Hmmmm...

Mono Red is super cheap, especially now that a lot of them are cutting down on Rabblemaster, if not dropping it all together. Running 4x Ediolons out of the sideboard is the biggest expense in some of these decks, with Stoke the Flames as your most expensive mainboard card.

Here's the Grixis Twin I'm thinking about building:

Spells(25):
  • 4 Inquisition of Kozilek
  • 4 Serum Visions
  • 4 Lightning Bolt
  • 1 Dispel
  • 4 Remand
  • 2 Terminate
  • 2 Cryptic Command
  • 4 Splinter Twin

Creatures(13):
  • 4 Snapcaster Mage
  • 2 Pestermite
  • 4 Deceiver Exarch
  • 2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
  • 1 Vendillion Clique

Lands(22):
  • 2 Sulfur Falls
  • 2 Steam Vents
  • 1 Breeding Pool
  • 2 Watery Grave
  • 1 Blood Crypt
  • 3 Island
  • 1 Mountain
  • 1 Swamp
  • 1 Desolate Lighthouse
  • 4 Polluted Delta
  • 4 Scalding Tarn

The sideboard I'm a little more unsure of with the numbers and what cards I need:

Sideboard:
  • 2 Spellskite
  • 2 Ancient Grudge
  • 2 Engineered Explosives
  • 1 Keranos, God of the Storms
  • 1 Batterskull
  • 1 Dispel
  • 1 Negate
  • 1 Pyroclasm
  • 1 Counterflux
  • 1 Vendilion Clique
  • 1 Sower of Temptation
  • 1 Jace, Architect of Thought

I'm so used to Bogles that it feels weird building a normal Modern deck. Any advice?

Firemind

Mono Red is super cheap, especially now that a lot of them are cutting down on Rabblemaster, if not dropping it all together. Running 4x Ediolons out of the sideboard is the biggest expense in some of these decks, with Stoke the Flames as your most expensive mainboard card.
I have the Rabblemasters and the Eidolons from the previous format. I just need the commons and uncommons. Although some have been playing a set of Thunderbreak, either in the main or sb, to combat the midrange decks at the PT. I like it as I don't think my local meta is going to be control heavy haha.

f0rk

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159959902]
I'm so used to Bogles that it feels weird building a normal Modern deck. Any advice?[/QUOTE]
You don't need a 3rd colour, U/R is great as is messing with other stuff just dilutes the deck. This is from someone who used to really like RUG Twin, having played the stock UR lists recently I never felt like I needed anything else.

At least play a 23rd land

duxstar

Has anyone found a good Temur/rug deck. You'd think the new sarkhan would've helped somewhere.

I mean you have all the Dragon lords that are seeing play in the g/r/u decks.

A deck that can run Icefall Regent, Dragon Lord Atarka, Thunderbreak Regent, Stormbreath Dragon, and Sarkhan the unbroken with counter spell backup should be able to do ok in a world of dragons.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
MTGO prices are hella wack. Mana Confluence jumped from 10 to 20 overnight. I have two, but still. Maybe I should unload them. It's not like I'm going to play standard any time soon. :lol

Edit: lol looks like Sarkhan is going to drop into non-existance.

Narset is only 10 now. Prices are pretty much down in general on MTGO.

lol @ Confluence though. RDW isn't nearly as good on MTGO because the meta on MTGO isn't dominated by control. Spending 80 bucks on lands for a cheapo aggro deck seems silly.

Why isn't this card modern legal :-(

45258_1knb2f.jpg

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Has anyone found a good Temur/rug deck. You'd think the new sarkhan would've helped somewhere.

I mean you have all the Dragon lords that are seeing play in the g/r/u decks.

A deck that can run Icefall Regent, Dragon Lord Atarka, Thunderbreak Regent, Stormbreath Dragon, and Sarkhan the unbroken with counter spell backup should be able to do ok in a world of dragons.

The new Sarkhan kind of blows. You don't usually have time to spare to drop a Sarkhan on turn 5 unless you're already well in control of the game.

Anyways, best temur decks I've faced are now aggro variants and obviously low to the ground. Running 4x Heir of the Wilds, 3/3 Deathtouch Raptor, 4 Knuckleblades, 3-4x Rabblemaster, Frost Walkers, etc, paired with Elvish Mystics / Rattleclaws, and the key card here is 4x Collected Company. The goal is to play Collected company on your turn 3, and hit Knuckleblade and DT Raptor/Rabblemaster, etc. Rinse and repeat until you get anger of the gods'd or win.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The new Sarkhan kind of blows. You don't usually have time to spare to drop a Sarkhan on turn 5 unless you're already well in control of the game.

Anyways, best temur decks I've faced are now aggro variants and obviously low to the ground. Running 4x Heir of the Wilds, 3/3 Deathtouch Raptor, 4 Knuckleblades, 3-4x Rabblemaster, Frost Walkers, etc, paired with Elvish Mystics / Rattleclaws, and the key card here is 4x Collected Company. The goal is to play Collected company on your turn 3, and hit Knuckleblade and DT Raptor/Rabblemaster, etc. Rinse and repeat until you get anger of the gods'd or win.

Uh, no. Sarkhan's main drawback is that he's in suboptimal colors. His abilities are extremely good for a 5 CMC walker.

An-Det

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";159987757]Why isn't this card modern legal :-(

45258_1knb2f.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Because we can't have an enchantment block with actually good enchantments in it.

Angry Grimace

Your opponent for passing you Monastery Siege, Sage-Eye Avengers and Supplant Form.

Angry Grimace

Doesn't that kind of mean the same thing? I get that it doesn't, he's good, but for Temur RIGHT NOW, he is not very good.

He's very good if you actually are Temur. He puts up a threat to defend himself and then you usually win the game off his + if can't remove him because you're ramping (to Atarka) and drawing double cards. He's not a 4-of, but neither is Sarkhan 3. He isn't good in every matchup, so you have to know when to side him out (I frequently side him out in favor of Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker because Sarkhan 3 is a much more immediate threat and can double as removal)

Firemind

I cut Sidisi's Faithful because of the lack of cheap exploit creatures, Dutiful Attendant because I have never played with it yet and the two Zephyr Scribes because they're likely too slow. Not sure if I did the right thing. Dutiful Attendant seems like insane value with Youthful Scholars. I didn't cut the Ojutai's Breath because of the synergy with Mistfire Adept, but maybe I should have?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
He's very good if you actually are Temur. He puts up a threat to defend himself and then you usually win the game off his + if can't remove him because you're ramping (to Atarka) and drawing double cards. He's not a 4-of, but neither is Sarkhan 3. He isn't good in every matchup, so you have to know when to side him out (I frequently side him out in favor of Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker because Sarkhan 3 is a much more immediate threat and can double as removal)

This is a good point. I just think Temur is probably at it's best in a Tempo-y aggro / midrange build right now, so he is just a tempo killer. In the right circumstances, maybe like a more counter/controlling based temur build, he can probably be pretty dope.

Firemind

I don't think I would play three breath. I would have cut one for sure.

And I would definitely leave in one Scribe.
Well, I sided out one against the super aggro decks, which were all of the them, for a Sidisi's Faithful. :lol

Didn't matter in the end. 3-0. Deck was pretty gud. So much bounce and my opponents played Runemarks. :lol

My excitement for the new Sarkhan died when I saw what colors he is in. A tri-color 5-drop Planeswalker is not appropriate for these colors as they are flavored right now. I wish they would have kept him in jund colors like the original design, or somehow balanced him to be a 3 drop.

Angry Grimace

This is a good point. I just think Temur is probably at it's best in a Tempo-y aggro / midrange build right now, so he is just a tempo killer. In the right circumstances, maybe like a more counter/controlling based temur build, he can probably be pretty dope.

Ideally you ramp to him on turn 3.

My excitement for the new Sarkhan died when I saw what colors he is in. A tri-color 5-drop Planeswalker is not appropriate for these colors as they are flavored right now. I wish they would have kept him in jund colors like the original design, or somehow balanced him to be a 3 drop.

I think people would like him a lot more if he was 1RUG instead of 2RUG. As it is, he's just taking up Stormbreath Dragon's CMC slot.

ironmang

I'm one of the last people to be in favor of bannings but I really hope they ban twin sometime soon. The modern meta is really boring right now with Infect/Twin/Junk/Affinity/Burn running the show and everything else being pretty far behind. At least Infect is a little inconsistent and has to dance around lightning bolt.

kirblar

I'm one of the last people to be in favor of bannings but I really hope they ban twin sometime soon. The modern meta is really boring right now with Infect/Twin/Junk/Affinity/Burn running the show and everything else being pretty far behind. At least Infect is a little inconsistent and has to dance around lightning bolt.
A large part of why these decks are so good is that Twin invalidates lifegain.

ironmang

A large part of why these decks are so good is that Twin invalidates lifegain.

There's just such a big portion of the card pool that's not viable while Twin exists. Having to live in fear of the combo and at least leave up mana to bluff soon as they hit 3 lands limits deckbuilding. Even though Pod is pretty broken, I never had the same feeling about it when it was legal. Tier 2 decks like hatebears and tron were very playable when Pod was making up 25-30% of the field.

kirblar

There's just such a big portion of the card pool that's not viable while Twin exists. Having to live in fear of the combo and at least leave up mana to bluff soon as they hit 3 lands limits deckbuilding. Even though Pod is pretty broken, I never had the same feeling about it when it was legal. Tier 2 decks like hatebears and tron were very playable when Pod was making up 25-30% of the field.
Pod's issue was that all 3 sets in Khans block ended up finally breaking the card in half. Totally agree that it was much more fun and interesting.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160023547]If they don't reprint Satyr Wayfinder or Grisly Salvage in Magic Origins I'm going to cry.[/QUOTE]
It's still a core set. Grisly Savage probably not happening.

OnPoint

At least he's the first PW character to be 4 of the 5 colors. We got that little bit of trivia out of it I guess. The closest to him is Nicol Bolas in Grixis, and Ajani covering the Naya spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom