• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160304074]UB control is not as good as people think.

Top 8 UB player's standard records:

Ohlschwager - 7-2-1
Yasooka - 7-2-1
Sullivan - 6-2-2
[/QUOTE]

You missed a few UB decks and wouldn't Ohlschwager be considered Esper as well since he's got the splash of Ojutai in there like all the other Esper decks?

DTK UB & Esper Standard results:

Top 16: Edit: (24-27 Points)
Josh Utter-Leyton 9-1 (Esper)
Paul Cheon 8-2 (Esper)
Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa 8-2 (Esper)
Guillaume Wafo-Tapa 8-2 (Esper)

21-23 Points:
Andrew Brown 7-2-1
Shota Yasooka 7-2-1
Armando Bulnes 7-3
Andrew Davis 7-3 (Esper)
Miodrag Kitanovic 7-3 (Esper)
Andrew Ohlschwager 7-3 (Esper)
Masashi Oiso 7-3

18-20 Points:
Adrian Sullivan 6-2-2
Lars Dam 6-2-2
Carlos Moral 6-2-2
Kyle Boggemes 6-2-2
Alessandro Portaro 6-2-2 (Esper)
Matt Severa 6-2-2
Shahar Shenhar 6-2-2 (Esper)

Of course, this doesn't point to UB or Esper (which is basically the UB shell tweaked to add Ojutai for almost all of those decks) as the dominant deck. Abzan is still the tippy top but UB/Esper looks pretty solid.

You missed a few UB decks and wouldn't Ohlschwager be considered Esper as well since he's got the splash of Ojutai in there like all the other Esper decks?

I forgot to add wafo-tapa, but I didn't miss the others. 7 wins isn't enough for me to go out and declare a great deck. 6 wins is barely worth looking at.

Also, you shouldn't list the 24+ points decks as top 16, it's misleading. UBx is good, but not as great as people think it is.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160365748]
Also, you shouldn't list the 24+ points decks as top 16, it's misleading. UBx is good, but not as great as people think it is.[/QUOTE]

There were only 16 decks in the 24-27 point range therefore they were the top 16 standard decks.

There were only 16 decks in the 24-27 point range therefore they were the top 16 standard decks.

My problem is that you are sticking "top 16" next to "xx points" which makes the first set seem like the top 16 players since you're using different qualifiers. It's not really a big deal but it's confusing and odd since those decks aren't listed as "top 16" anywhere else.

You might give false hope to a poor Paul Cheon fan browsing the thread, man.

y2dvd

I'll be running Esper during Gameday. I just hope I play a bunch of G/W Devotion decks and minus Ugin to exile all their crap again. >:D

Magic Origins Liliana is so interesting with exploit cards and Den Protector. I could see Silumgar Sorceror getting a lot more popular. Even Sidisi's Faithful could see some standard play. That card is way better than it looks, and it already looks pretty fine.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160368181]My problem is that you are sticking "top 16" next to "xx points" which makes the first set seem like the top 16 players since you're using different qualifiers. It's not really a big deal but it's confusing and odd since those decks aren't listed as "top 16" anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with you. I was going to count the others but I was just trying to poop out that post asap so I could get back to work (Ha! Yeah, right.). I probably wouldn't have even put the "Top 16" bit in there if it didn't line up so nicely number-wise. Sites focus on the top 8 so much that upon seeing 16 in that point range I thought it would be nice to get some idea as to how represented the deck was in that top 16 range. I was going to expand it out to the Top 32 as well but then I got lazy and went on to other things.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160368181]You might give false hope to a poor Paul Cheon fan browsing the thread, man.[/quote]

lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160304074]UB control is not as good as people think.

Top 8 UB player's standard records:

Ohlschwager - 7-2-1
Yasooka - 7-2-1
Sullivan - 6-2-2

They made it into the top 8 by smashing their drafts.

Paul Cheon and PV did really well, and Wrapter did well with Esper, but that's about it. It's fine, but the Abzan decks were still the biggest force in the top tables.[/QUOTE]

Its a very beatable control deck even if you don't goof off too much with sideboarding. Counterspells have the same problem counterspells always have - the window of opportunity to use a counterspell is exceedingly narrow and unlike the dominant control deck from last year, its not a deck that's full of 2-for-1s, its a deck that's full of 1-for-1s with card that that is not Sphinx's Revelation.

Its a very beatable control deck even if you don't goof off too much with sideboarding. Counterspells have the same problem counterspells always have - the window of opportunity to use a counterspell is exceedingly narrow and unlike the dominant control deck from last year, its not a deck that's full of 2-for-1s, its a deck that's full of 1-for-1s with card that that is not Sphinx's Revelation.

People keep asking me why I don't play UBx control after my love of Esper last season.

I can't downgrade Revs to Digs and AEtherlings to Silumgars. It's just not right, man.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160392835]People keep asking me why I don't play UBx control after my love of Esper last season.

I can't downgrade Revs to Digs and AEtherlings to Silumgars. It's just not right, man.[/QUOTE]

I got a control player to 5 life and then he stabilizes with a Crux of Fate and a Silumgar, the Drifting Death out (getting me for 3 a turn although he's running out of cards). Then I cast two Thunderbreak Regents in a row. A card like Sphinx's Rev. would have put that entire game out of my reach.

(He then cast Dragonlord Silumgar and tried to take one of the Regents. Whoops).

MjFrancis

I'm being offered MM2 @ $225/box. Even though eBay prices are falling now I've been told that their won't be a second wave so I'm pretty sure now is the time to buy. I mean, it's not going to get any cheaper, right? If nothing else I can speculate on a box or two or draft it with friends in the future when it's harder to find.

It really doesn't feel like a deal though when it is still about $9.38/pack. I just bought two sealed boxes of Innistrad at $5.78/pack and that feels like the better deal even though I bought in at twice MSRP.

Matriox

I'm being offered MM2 @ $225/box. Even though eBay prices are falling now I've been told that their won't be a second wave so I'm pretty sure now is the time to buy. I mean, it's not going to get any cheaper, right? If nothing else I can speculate on a box or two or draft it with friends in the future when it's harder to find.

It really doesn't feel like a deal though when it is still about $9.38/pack. I just bought two sealed boxes of Innistrad at $5.78/pack and that feels like the better deal even though I bought in at twice MSRP.

If that's $225 without tax that seems very good IMO. With tax, the lowest I've seen on ebay is $233 which would be cheaper if that $225 is taxed.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160402978]MM2015 just feels like a total scam.[/QUOTE]

Buy a box, sell it in a while and profit.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160375771]Hey man, I lost to tokens at the last PPTQ.

After bricking on sidisi 4 times in a row and drawing all lands.[/QUOTE]
I have x3 Virulent Plague in my sideboard just as a middle finger to tokens. :p

No tears, only dreams now.

964905juf0.jpg
96653njuwo.jpg
9558233uq3.jpg

MjFrancis

If that's $225 without tax that seems very good IMO. With tax, the lowest I've seen on ebay is $233 which would be cheaper if that $225 is taxed.
It is sans tax, which is why I agreed to it despite not particularly wanting one. The price is limited to one box and offered to just a few of his most loyal customers.

So unless I can get a group to draft it in a year or two I'm just going to sit on it. I won't crack a pack anymore, much less a box, if it isn't for a draft.

Jhriad

It's a weird feeling when I'm listening to NPR on the ride home and hear Planet Money's piece on Magic speculation in the '90s.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160413583]I'm more excited for Magic Origins than MMM2015.[/QUOTE]

I want to see what cards get pushed down in rarity so I can include them in Peasant Cube. Other than that, I agree: Origins is far more exciting.

Angry Grimace

I was only joking about Cloudform in Temur, but its working hilariously well against pretty much every variety of control deck. It can't really 1-for-1 with Silumgar or Ojutai, but I usually can get them down to Crater's Claws/Stormbreath range before that ever happens since they have to keep dealing with my other dudes and spells while simultaneously not having any real way to interact with the Cloudform bear.

Angry Grimace

A guy I know who does not play Magic asked me the other day if I was going to register for GP Vegas (since I live in San Diego and its a relatively short drive.)

Uh, no.

E: In fact, I don't intend to buy any MM2015 outside of whatever I can draft at the LGS. I'm not really all that cool with how hard Wizards is pushing this 10 dollar pack shit.

A guy I know who does not play Magic asked me the other day if I was going to register for GP Vegas (since I live in San Diego and its a relatively short drive.)

Uh, no.

You don't want to spend a bunch of money to travel so you can spend a bunch of money to maybe open cards you've already played with in a drastically overpriced set so you can lose because it's a garbage format so you can drop out and spend a bunch of money on garbage side events except you can't because the garbage side events were sold out on preorders so you wander around for trades except the "traders" are really stores circumventing having to buy a booth because they're cheap assholes so they have garbage deals and try to shill you overpriced cards they just opened from their sealed pools so you decide to get some value out of the weekend and take a bunch of pictures of dude's asscracks while you're waiting in line to spend a bunch of money on garbage food since there's fucking 5 billion fat dudes in a box that haven't showered in 4 days because they "have to test pools" and it's hot as fuck and all the toilets are clogged and you get banned for 2 years for harrassment?

You don't want to do that? But it's vegas, man!

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160423867]But you're missing out on the cardboard packaging!

It's a shared experience! The whole magic fanbase opening packs all around the world at three events simultaneously! You don't want to be part of history?

What's wrong with you?[/QUOTE]

The history already occurred dude. Its all reprints.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160424584]If Goyf is still mythic, does that mean Mark Rosewater went back in time and failed to save the dragons?[/QUOTE]

We already say it. Its fucken Mythic dude.

Ban Tarmogoyf
Ban Splinter Twin
Ban Ban Ban

Unban Jace the Mind Sculptor

y2dvd

I was only joking about Cloudform in Temur, but its working hilariously well against pretty much every variety of control deck. It can't really 1-for-1 with Silumgar or Ojutai, but I usually can get them down to Crater's Claws/Stormbreath range before that ever happens since they have to keep dealing with my other dudes and spells while simultaneously not having any real way to interact with the Cloudform bear.

All the more reasons to run Foul-Tongue Invocation.

y2dvd

Meh, you can try, I'll just Stubborn Denial it. Or eat it and sac a dork.

Unless you have a flash creature, of course it would silly of anyone to play FTI with a dork on the board. Stubborn Denial is pretty damn good vs control though. But that's what I like about control this time around. It's not a free win. You gotta work for it.

Angry Grimace

Unless you have a flash creature, of course it would silly of anyone to play FTI with a dork on the board. Stubborn Denial is pretty damn good vs control though. But that's what I like about control this time around. It's not a free win. You gotta work for it.

That and Savage Knuckleblade is fuckin' hard to beat.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160428250]Eat deathtouch blockers, son[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the entire deck flies and Atarka reks almost all of Hornet Queen, especially if you tried, foolishly to get your Queen off of a whip.

Its hard to beat if it gets going because it recurs Murderous Cut fucking constantly, but its still not really able to stop a Dragon attack if one gets going.

Pretty much the entire deck flies and Atarka reks almost all of Hornet Queen, especially if you tried, foolishly to get your Queen off of a whip.

Its hard to beat if it gets going because it recurs Murderous Cut fucking constantly, but its still not really able to stop a Dragon attack if one gets going.

Eat Dragonlord Silumgar, son

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160428997]Eat Dragonlord Silumgar, son[/QUOTE]

Cool.

Disdainful Stroke.

The more I think about it, the more I think Liliana Heretical Healer is a killer sultai card.

opponent attempts to murderous cut Lili, flash in silumgar sorceror in response to dodge removal.

Liliana -> sidisi's faithful -> reanimate sidisi's faithful -> reanimate sidisi's faithful -> reanimate sidisi's faithful

transform -> discard deathmist raptor/torrent elemental/hornet queen

Cool.

Disdainful Stroke.

dat 9-mana turn

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160455394]The more I think about it, the more I think Liliana Heretical Healer is a killer sultai card.

opponent attempts to murderous cut Lili, flash in silumgar sorceror in response to dodge removal.

Liliana -> sidisi's faithful -> reanimate sidisi's faithful -> reanimate sidisi's faithful -> reanimate sidisi's faithful

transform -> discard deathmist raptor/torrent elemental/hornet queen

dat 9-mana turn[/QUOTE]

Not unless you have Silumgar flash somehow.

I think flip walkers are going to be a lot less well received than WOTC thinks. People don't like jumping through hoops to get stuff.

Firemind

Wait, Prossh is a DRAGON? Huh.

So that makes four legendary Jund dragons. There are now more legendary dragons in Jund colours than legendary mono red dragons. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom