• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Speaking of jumping through hoops, I am finally able to play test my white weenie decks. A couple of notations after testing against RDW and the Boros variant. (Bear with me, I just got it today).

- Myth Realized is an interesting card, but ultimately it's a lose more card. Meaning, if you're putting counters on it, you're not doing something more proactive to win you the game. It works as a nice blocker in some cases, but it's too mana intensive at this point. I pulled it out pretty quickly.

- Dragon Hunter is pretty damn good for a 1-drop in this format. It eats Wild Slashes, but it's a 1-drop. It seems better than Soldier of the Pantheon in the same slot, because most of the removal is mono-colored anyway. I waffle between the two because I dream of gaining life off Pantheon, but it has yet to happen.

- Secure the Wastes is every bit as good as I had hoped. If you draw this card you normally just win. Either by surprise eating creatures or building an army that doesn't care about individual removal. Love this card to death.

- Anafenza the White is pretty okay, as is Arashin.

- Ojutai Exemplars is....eh. I don't think its abilities contribute to a monowhite strategy.

- Ajani's Presence puts in great work against the red decks. Definitely a sideboard card for that matchup.

Now, I must test against other, non-burn players.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160525585]You're saying she's basically Voice of Resurgence.[/QUOTE]

She's nothing like Voice of Resurgence. She's a 2/3 lifelink that doesn't do anything else without other things that are typically out of your control happening. Sure you can play an exploit deck, but most of the exploit cards aren't super awesome on their own.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's some kind of serious flavor-fail on Hidden Dragonslayer's incapability of destroying the most commonly played dragon in the format.

Flip Liliana is REALLY close to being an infinite combo with Loyal Retainers and a sacrifice outlet at first glance. Then you realize that sacrificing the Retainers doesn't trigger the flip because Liliana isn't on the field when it happens :-/

There's some kind of serious flavor-fail on Hidden Dragonslayer's incapability of destroying the most commonly played dragon in the format.

Kind of like when Halo Hunter was printed while Baneslayer Angel was all the rage

Angry Grimace

I'm gonna be a sad purple blob if Baneslayer isn't in Origins. Would be hilarious anti-Dragons tech.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160533574]Nah, it's a flourish so you can show off your foil delvers.[/QUOTE]

I have a set of those. I would never flip them. They'd be in separate plastics waiting to come out when I played the checklist card.

Angry Grimace

I would say I've never met someone who cared about foils but at my local store, there's a guy there that I played who was playing his own brew, but his deck was the size of a freakin' double-sleeved commander deck. Then I figured out why - he has the deck triple-sleeved because every single card in the deck is foiled-out down to the basic lands, all of which are those Terese Nielson judge foils.

Wow, those albino Force of Will misprints look way nicer than the regular ones.

100_8135_zps2ccf7cc8icskd.jpg

I would say I've never met someone who cared about foils but at my local store, there's a guy there that I played who was playing his own brew, but his deck was the size of a freakin' double-sleeved commander deck. Then I figured out why - he has the deck triple-sleeved because every single card in the deck is foiled-out down to the basic lands, all of which are those Terese Nielson judge foils.
whatanub

untitled9tsha.png

Random thought, I'd love to see a card like this.

Face-Puncher Giant - 3RR
Creature - Beeble Giant
Whenever Face-Puncher Giant deals combat damage to one or more blocking creatures, return those creatures to their owner's hand. (Return them only if they survived combat.)
4/4

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160539733]whatanub[/QUOTE]
Man, I'd love to destroy this edh tryhard with my mono red deck.

I want a gauntlet of might in my deck but they're $200+ sadface

I don't think people are going to like jumping through hoops for this kind of card. I've been wrong before, but I just don't see it.

magic is the game people play because they LIKE jumping through hoops

also i mean "have any creature die" is hardly a huge hoop for liliana

- Myth Realized is an interesting card, but ultimately it's a lose more card. Meaning, if you're putting counters on it, you're not doing something more proactive to win you the game. It works as a nice blocker in some cases, but it's too mana intensive at this point. I pulled it out pretty quickly.

Yeah, this card is not gonna be good if you have to affirmatively dump mana into it. It looks like a control finisher to me since the optimal scenario is one where you drop it turn one, only put mana into it if you hit an end step with lands to spare, and either have a free 9-ish/9-ish later on, or make them waste removal on it.

Silumgar is hexproof, it wouldn't be able to kill him anyway.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160539733]Wow, those albino Force of Will misprints look way nicer than the regular ones.
[/QUOTE]

holy crap how much is THAT selling for

ElyrionX

Checklist cards brah

Meh. I buy two of every single double faced card I need just so I don't have to deal with that shit. I basically have the extra card sleeved with the other side showing and put it in my deck box and switch between them when needed.

Thank god I already quit Standard.

Impact tremors is busted as hell in Triple Dragons. My LGS didn't have enough Fate packs to do the regular way, so we did triple fate. A friend of mine at the shop dragged 4 Impact Tremors in a dash shell. Say hello to 3+ damage with Dash each turn. Why is it even common? It's a cheaper dash focused card that needs you to either be proactive by negating it or have the limited removal at common.

Toxi

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160579855]aww apparently they're not real misprints but people bleaching cards to make them look like albinos[/QUOTE]
Man, nothing worse than ruining some classic Terese Nielsen art.

Firemind

Impact tremors is busted as hell in Triple Dragons. My LGS didn't have enough Fate packs to do the regular way, so we did triple fate. A friend of mine at the shop dragged 4 Impact Tremors in a dash shell. Say hello to 3+ damage with Dash each turn. Why is it even common? It's a cheaper dash focused card that needs you to either be proactive by negating it or have the limited removal at common.
I've been trying to draft a dash deck like a half dozen times and ended up with bears and removal. Damm it, pass me the dash!

Yeef

I've been trying to draft a dash deck like a half dozen times and ended up with bears and removal. Damm it, pass me the dash!
Warbringer and Amuscade Shaman are such a beating on their own. Together they're insane.I once had a turn where I dashed in a Warbringer, then an Shaman then 2 heelcutters. There weren't any turns after that.

y2dvd

At FNM, I casted Silumgar Dragon and my opponent cast a counter spell. I then Silumgar's Scorn the counter spell, only to learn I didn't really control Silumgar yet and it's no longer in my hand. With no other dragons in hand to reveal and none in play, my opponent simply played an extra mana to pay for Scorn. Lost me the match lol. Oops!

ironmang

Played in two small gameday tournaments today both with RDW. Won the first with 4-0 against RG hornets nest, esper control, abzan aggro, and esper control. Then went 3-1 against heroic brew, esper control (rematch), GW mastery (loss), and good heroic. Deck felt very powerful the whole day and I ended up only losing 3 total games out of the 8 matches.

Thinking about taking it to Cleveland next week for the SCG Open since it's rare that I enjoy playing a Tier 1 deck and I need to pick up a few more open points to qualify for the next 2 invitationals.

StarCity is posting Modern States lists, and people on Twitter have already found some fun ones

Here is a Protean Hulk combo deck that I can't understand

Here is a Puresteel Paladen Storm deck that is everything I love about Magic

Batwing Brume is one way to deal with Twin that I never thought of, lol

I just spent $8 buying up 20 copies of Retract.

As a rare from such an old set, if this deck gets even moderately popular then this could skyrocket from its current 20-30 cent price tag. The deck also makes it obvious the ort of combo potential that the card has. And even if it ends up doing nothing, $8 is a pretty low buy-in cost.

Athreous

I just spent $8 buying up 20 copies of Retract.

As a rare from such an old set, if this deck gets even moderately popular then this could skyrocket from its current 20-30 cent price tag. The deck also makes it obvious the ort of combo potential that the card has. And even if it ends up doing nothing, $8 is a pretty low buy-in cost.

Omg, where you found it so cheap?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I bought a playset the other day off CFB, too. Not going to go speculator on them, but the deck seems interesting enough to sleeve up.

I was holding off, but I finally broke down and tore up Rainbow Bogles for trades. The dream is dead.

Sometimes you build a meta deck and wind up getting too attached to it. The meta shifted radically, time to move on to greener pastures.

Time to find a deck that beats both Twin and Junk.

Wichu

Lived the dream at Game Day.

199.jpg
+
144.jpg
+
156.jpg

Oh, I'm on 2 life and you're about to kill me? How about a 14/14 evasive lifelinker that also makes an endless stream of chump blockers?

I managed to get into the Top 8 despite four of my five matches being against decks I thought I had a bad matchup against, namely Sultai Control with Ugin and Perilous Vault, Mardu Control with Crackling Doom, Esper Dragons where I just lose unless I resolve an indestructible hexproof Chromantiflayer, and Jeskai Heroic that just kills me before I set up. I won the first two control matchups thanks to the Den Protector/Deathmist Raptor engine - in G1 of the Mardu match I actually got all of my Raptors in my graveyard by turn 4, then topdecked two Den Protectors in a row for ridiculous dinosaur spam.

Of course, I just had to get matched against 4C Heroic in the top 8 - I lost a turn before being able to mount a comeback both games :(

The winner of the tournament used a really awesome-looking U/G Devotion brew, with Yisan, the Wanderer Bard in combination with Kiora's Follower and Prophet of Kruphix to spam out a ton of creatures, then Bow of Nylea with Polukranos for a one-sided board wipe.

Got a list?

The winner of the tournament used a really awesome-looking U/G Devotion brew, with Yisan, the Wanderer Bard in combination with Kiora's Follower and Prophet of Kruphix to spam out a ton of creatures, then Bow of Nylea with Polukranos for a one-sided board wipe.

Sounds like reid duke's UG devotion deck.

Wichu

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160742554]Got a list?

Sounds like reid duke's UG devotion deck.[/QUOTE]

This is what I played:

Mainboard:

Creatures (30)
4 Den Protector
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Deathmist Raptor
1 Pharika, God of Affliction
3 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
4 Chromanticore
1 Xenagos, God of Revels
2 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
4 Soulflayer

Spells (7)
4 Commune with the Gods
3 Murderous Cut

Land (23)
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Forest
4 Frontier Bivouac
3 Mana Confluence
1 Mountain
4 Opulent Palace
1 Sandsteppe Citadel
2 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:

2 Stubborn Denial
3 Thoughtseize
4 Circle of Flame
2 Negate
2 Drown in Sorrow
2 Sultai Charm

It's based on Zvi Mowshowitz's list - the mainboard spells are identical bar swapping out a Deathmist Raptor for a Den Protector and a Pharika for Xenagos. I originally had the Sultai Charms in the main over a Sidisi and a Cut, but moved them to the side before Game Day.

I don't think I've ever used Pharika's ability, but I don't really want to take it out just in case I run into a graveyard-based deck. Xenagos, on the other hand, has been pretty awesome. Chromanticore doesn't have haste, so when Soulflayer comes out my opponent has a turn to prepare for a 4/4 - Xenagos means it's swinging in for 8 immediately.

The land base is the main difference to Mowshowitz's list - it's designed for T2 Circle of Flame out of the sideboard against mono-red and token decks (also because I don't have all the Temples, a second Urborg, and a fourth Mana Confluence). It might look a bit awkward, but it works really well (my top 8 opponent was impressed at how I got all five colours for Chromanticore on curve off three different trilands and two basics). Although I don't play Mowshowitz's Island/Polluted Delta for Sidisi/Sultai Charm, I actually have the same number of total blue sources as his list thanks to running trilands over Temples, and the worst colour problem I've had with the deck was awkwardly having to play untapped lands earlier than I'd want thanks to Frontier Bivouac not making black mana.

The sideboard is basically anti-control and anti-red, which I thought I'd have the most problems with. I didn't anticipate playing against two Heroic decks, and hadn't really considered how I'd deal with Ojutai which I really should have done. Although I did get a Chromantiflayer out against it, my opponent then played Silumgar, the Drifting Death, letting Ojutai run straight over Soulflayer.

And yeah, the winner's list does look pretty similar to Reid Duke's list (updated to the current Standard; not too hard considering it only runs six mainboard RTR block spells). The guy that played it is well-known at my LGS for playing weird decks - I stole the idea of Xenagos in Chromantiflayer from him after watching it beat face when we played the mirror at the FRF Game Day :p

I can't beat Pharika. Card is a beast.

Speaking of Den Protector, I really think Sultai is the best shell for it. The more you play with the card, the more you realize that it really, really wants to be played with 1-mana spells. Murderous Cut, Thoughtseize, all insane with the Protector.

I'm working on a Sultai Aggro deck right now with Wardens of the First Tree and Become Immenses as 2-ofs.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Been thinking about this for a while and thought I'd just throw it out here; it really sucks that land-cycles like the fetches and shocks are in Rare slots vs. Uncommon. I'm trying to put something together for modern, but it needs 8 fetches and 4 shocks to have any chance / consistency, and that will easily cost me €130+. That's just stupid.

Why are these lands printed at Rare vs. Uncommon? Is it because of draft and sealed? If so, why? Would better available mana-fixing really kill limited? Is it just to artificially keep the price up to please hoarders and collectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom