• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb Question regarding the next Phyrexia Set: what would everyone want to see in such a set as the actual plane? I'm kind of stupid in wanting Scars of Theros, with Phyrexia vs the Theros Gods as the main conflict. I base this mostly off of Eslpeth being the NuWalker who has the most ties to Phyrexia as a whole in lore.

Invasion 2: Electric Boogaloo. I mean, Dominaria has had enough apocalypses as it is, so I'm sure it can handle one more.

red13th

Ice Age was amazing, Zuran Orb was my favourite card. Alliances was even better, Mirage blew my mind. Man it was nice to be a kid everything was so good. I didn't like 5E though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ice Age was amazing, Zuran Orb was my favourite card. Alliances was even better, Mirage blew my mind. Man it was nice to be a kid everything was so good. I didn't like 5E though.

I remember hating 4E due to removing a bunch of cards I liked.

OnPoint

These exact words. If you weren't there it's harder to understand.

Edit:

Kirblar, is Dominaria in Origins?

I'm honestly not really sure why you're continuing to bag on me for that particular opinion as there really isn't a disagreement on the fact that people bought the sets

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me if you don't disagree that those sets were popular!

Kirblar, is Dominaria in Origins?

It's gotta be one of the ten, although I am pretty confident that at some point we're gonna have another full block set there too.

Easy one: Ravnica. I detest that plane so very much and want to see it FUBAR'd (but preferably, wiped off the face of the Multiverse entirely by the Eldrazi).

There is no plane in Magic less likely to get all blowed up by the villain du jour than Ravnica, heh.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161066428]I need a new Dominaria set so they can bring back Marit Lage.[/QUOTE]

They need to have Dominaria so they can keep reprinting Shivan Dragon and Serra Angel. I don't have a foil Cartoon Shivan Dragon yet.

ElyrionX

Why would you assume a Modern/Vintage/Legacy staple would go down in price?

This isn't the reason. Snaps were stable at $35. Everyone who wanted one probably had one and could buy one at $35 if they needed more. The playability of Snap has not gone up at all. The only thing that changed was announcing that they weren't going to be in MM2015. Then all the "finance" guys started writing useless captain obvious articles about how they're going to go up in value which resulted in many of the people who have too much time on their hands buying out all the Snaps they can get their hands on, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's utterly fucking ridiculous and Wizards should be aggressively reprinting the shit out of these and every card that spikes on buyout by the speculator kiddies so they stop ruining the game for everyone else who just wants to play it and not pay ridiculous prices for their cards.

Angry Grimace

This isn't the reason. Snaps were stable at $35. Everyone who wanted one probably had one and could buy one at $35 if they needed more. The playability of Snap has not gone up at all. The only thing that changed was announcing that they weren't going to be in MM2015. Then all the "finance" guys started writing useless captain obvious articles about how they're going to go up in value which resulted in many of the people who have too much time on their hands buying out all the Snaps they can get their hands on, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's utterly fucking ridiculous and Wizards should be aggressively reprinting the shit out of these and every card that spikes on buyout by the speculator kiddies so they stop ruining the game for everyone else who just wants to play it and not pay ridiculous prices for their cards.

No, that is precisely the reason. Because that's how economics work; what you're talking about is literally just free market capitalism.

5th Ed. remains my sentimental favorite core set. It's so stupidly big, it's just like they said 'fuck it, put it in the file!' to every card eligible for reprinting.

Angry Grimace

Some day I'm going to understand why they reprinted Necropotence in 5th Edition.

Angry Grimace

Probably the same reason they reprinted Balance and Channel in 4th Ed. Because fuck it.
Hey at least they stopped printing Fastbond.

Someday I'll also understand what the fuck Mark Rosewater was thinking when he designed Tinker as a "fixed" version of Transmute Artifact. Transmute Artifact is almost a fair card and Tinker is blatantly broken as fuck.

ElyrionX

No, that is precisely the reason. Because that's how economics work; what you're talking about is literally just free market capitalism.

Well no shit, it's still a card game at the end of the day and ultimately controlled by one company. A speculative secondary market that exists solely because Wizards lets it exist due to irrational fears of killing its own product ultimately does the game and its playerbase no favours at all in the long run.

Letting card prices appreciate over the long run naturally is not great but probably inevitable due to scarcity of supply. But they can do a lot more in terms of regulating price spikes caused by the casual speculators, especially when it comes to the competitive staples.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
WotC's position is that it's not just a card came, but a collectible card game. Personally, I think they outgrew that concept forever ago, but that is their spot.

OnPoint

I noticed this card for the first time in a while yesterday

MwonvuliBeastTracker.jpg

and for some reason want to build a deck that uses my favorite pet card of the last year

Chromanticore.jpg

Something is wrong with me. Help.

I don't know how I missed that you could just play a second Heretical Healer to get the trigger, and that flipping her gets around whip of erebos' eot trigger.

Arksy

I'm wondering with MM2, how much of it is going to be junk? Like literally nothing but modern chase cards? Seems unlikely. I'm not really knowledgeable about modern so looking at MM1 doesn't tell me a whole lot.

I'm wondering with MM2, how much of it is going to be junk? Like literally nothing but modern chase cards? Seems unlikely. I'm not really knowledgeable about modern so looking at MM1 doesn't tell me a whole lot.

The real question is what percentage of MM2 has to be good to justify a $30 draft.

Because that's "rare land in every pack" prices, Aka bullshit.

WanderingWind

Maybe there won't be chaff this time around. Every card is modern playable. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Think of it. The worst care you could get would be like, a Nihil Spellbomb.

Arksy

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161128090]The real question is what percentage of MM2 has to be good to justify a $30 draft.

Because that's "rare land in every pack" prices, Aka bullshit.[/QUOTE]

It definitely does sound like WoTC have priced this set way too highly. We pay $135 for a box in Australia normally, but MM2 is going to cost us $350. It's fucking insane. I would've bought three or four boxes at $240 but I don't think I can justify buying even one at that price. Especially since apart from Tarmogoyf, most of the other cards in modern are currently reasonably priced.

OnPoint

Maybe there won't be chaff this time around. Every card is modern playable. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Think of it. The worst care you could get would be like, a Nihil Spellbomb.

There's a heavy emphasis on draft, and given the events they have planned, they hope it to be skilled draft. There's no way, no matter how beautiful a dream that is.

my shop is selling boxes for 240 limit 2. If you buy one you get a innistrad pack, if you buy 2 you also get a MM1 pack...

tempting

Why is that tempting? Are there 500 dollars worth of modern singles you need from a set with like 5 spoiled cards? Are you just gambling 500 dollars on reselling the boxes for a grand in three years? Is that the only reason anybody wants these things?

Nobody even knows if it's a good draft, so it certainly can't be because of that. It costs me 11 bucks to go draft at my LGS. Why would I want to spend three times that amount and not even get to play with new cards? Rise is my favorite draft format, but there's no way in hell I'd pay 30 bucks a draft for that.

Then all the "finance" guys started writing useless captain obvious articles about how they're going to go up in value which resulted in many of the people who have too much time on their hands buying out all the Snaps they can get their hands on, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The "finance" thing really is kind of annoying. These are $30 wizard cards, guys, not billion-dollar commodity futures. (And you can't beat the market anyway, which means there's something unseemly about SCG encouraging people to buy and sell for value when they control the only real way of profiting off Magic singles.)

OnPoint

The "finance" thing really is kind of annoying. These are $30 wizard cards, guys, not billion-dollar commodity futures. (And you can't beat the market anyway, which means there's something unseemly about SCG encouraging people to buy and sell for value when they control the only real way of profiting off Magic singles.)

They're not even really hiding the fact that they seemingly orchestrate price hikes. It's all about money.

WanderingWind

But Tiny Leaders you guys! Also, be sure to check CFB for their latest brew tech featuring dollar rares shoved into decks piloted by pro players who definitely aren't trying to mess up the meta for their advantage!

OnPoint

I can't think of the last time a Woo deck had any affect on any meta. His decks are fun but aside from random price spikes, his decks are worthless.

Angry Grimace

I can't find the picture anymore, but a dude on another forum I post on posted his Goblin Rabblemaster spec where he bought like 2,000 Goblin Rabblemaster when it was $2.50. He had a picture of boxes and boxes of Rabblemasters.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161135059]Not everybody plays to compete at Grand Prixs, man.[/QUOTE]

No, they don't. I certainly count myself among that non-pro level. My Modern deck of choice right now is Polymorph Tokens and I'm building a Modern Manifest deck for Christ's sake. But I don't like how a focus on interesting and fun decks can run the price up on otherwise bulk cards. I have no real interest in speculation, that ship has sailed. If a deck is casual fun I want to build and play it. Not pay an arm and a leg for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom