• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

b2Rs3WO.jpg
For those who haven't seen it already, can you spot the real Snapcaster Mage?

kirblar

Don't ever deal with Green Lake Games. I still haven't gotten a bunch of DTK cards I pre-ordered from them, and when I contacted them about it they're all like "We're sorry, they must have gotten lost in the mail but we'll resend them for you but we've also lost your address, can you send us your address again?" like they couldn't have just gotten that shit through Amazon where placed the order. :rolleyes

Now I'm stuck trying to decide if it's worth waiting another week or two to see if they really ship this time, or just getting my money back. At least I didn't have a lot of money tied up in this.

BTW, this wasn't just one order, it was two separate orders that this happened to. The first one, they didn't give me a tracking number, but the second order they did, and it just shows the postage as being pre-paid for, but the package never actually being received by USPS. These aren't even super spicy cards that I was ordering either, that would have been quickly sold-out and/or shot up in price. They were mostly just bulk rares and commons that I wanted to mess around with since I didn't plan on buying a lot of sealed DTK product. I mean, if you can't even get me a couple of Pitiless Hordes and a Ire Shaman within 4 weeks, then don't take my money.
They pulled this on me as well- had ordered from them for a year+ with no issues previously. Will no longer do so.

"Fake" tests need to be done in person- the Chinese ones a year ago people freaked out about were blatantly obvious if you got a chance to look at them in person.

MjFrancis

The one on the far right is the only legitimate Snapcaster. Zoom in on the Innistrad rare logo and look at the black lines. The real one is solid and the fake one in the middle has the same pattern as the rest of the card does.

I believe the one on the left is a fake from last year, they are getting very good at this.

I'm told the feel is still "off" even on the good fakes and they still fail a blacklight test. By the end of the year it wouldn't surprise me if they were indistinguishable from the real thing.

OnPoint

The one on the far right is the only legitimate Snapcaster. Zoom in on the Innistrad rare logo and look at the black lines. The real one is solid and the fake one in the middle has the same pattern as the rest of the card does.

I believe the one on the left is a fake from last year, they are getting very good at this.

I'm told the feel is still "off" even on the good fakes and they still fail a blacklight test. By the end of the year it wouldn't surprise me if they were indistinguishable from the real thing.

I thought the
middle one
looked off, specifically in the
colorless mana bubble
but I thought
there was only one.

Fucking trick questions.

Firemind

I got my Snappys for $12-15. Don't sell your good standard cards, folks.
If we're going to brag, I got them for free!
My old posse doesn't play constructed anymore, so they just gave me all their drafted cards. One of them was playing a snapcaster without sleeves. :lol

What sets are largely considered to be the best sets in MTG history?

So many different opinions on this so I'll just give my random thoughts. I've been an on-and off player so I haven't seen a lot of the new sets. The last set that I thought was very cool was Zendikar. I loved the mana ramping and huge creatures that felt substantial. Not too much trickeration or messing with the color pie.

I remember coming back in at the last set of the Alara block where everything was multicolor. My first experience coming back was a prerelease for that set. Everything was multicolor. Much confuse.

Worst set for me (and this is showing my age) is Fallen Empires. Too. Many. Thrall Tokens.

kirblar

Hi Mark! Infect's place on the storm scale? Thanks!

It’s currently a 6. It turns out it has some developmental issues.
They really don't want to print more 1-2 mana infect creatures going forward. Same issue as Hexproof.

Interesting, I would've assumed Mirrodin would've been up there.

Mirrodin is polarizing, because there's still a lot of people who shudder involuntarily at the thought of Affinity standard.

Personally hated Ice Age, Homelands, Fallen Empires, the Dark, pretty much everything that came out around Third Edition was garbage, really. I'm not even sure how the game survived its rough adolescent phase with sets like the Dark through Ice Age.

The Dark and Ice Age were both super popular at the time. You can't judge these old sets by today's standards -- drafting didn't exist, formats were still poorly defined, and people were more interested in cool and unusual cards than the kind of stuff we go for these days.

Most classically good formats are, in fact, overrated. Magic players love hyperbole, and that extends to their favorite draft formats as well.

This is such a silly statement. Something has to be the best.

They really don't want to print more 1-2 mana infect creatures going forward. Same issue as Hexproof.

I said it before, but this really locks it down -- the next Phyrexian block's due in 2017/2018 and they ran into a wall trying to balance out the Infect cards knowing what they do about how it's played in Modern.

There's too much personal preference, too much "you had to be there," too much context about recent blocks, too much nostalgia, etc. There is no "best" format.

I'm sorry we don't live in hippy christmasland where every set is a special magical snowflake. Some things are better than others, dammit!

Except Cube. Clearly Cube is the best.

Not the way they do it on MODO it isn't!

Augh, why haven't prices dropped for Ugin yet?

Because it's a super-powerful planeswalker that goes in any color deck and comes from a set without much else expensive to soak up the dollars?

Yeef

I think both Tasigur and Dragonlord Silumgar are great in game two where players are more likely to side out removals against control, so I was able to safely steal creatures.

Foul-Tongue is great if you can get there. Mono red is so fast though. If you can't survive the first 3 turns, it's a crazy uphill battle. You are either playing tapped lands or pinging yourself for untapped lands with fetches. Plus they have so many different cheap threats and plays Dragon's Fodder and Hordeling Outburst, giving them plenty of creature to sac. I do agree that I don't want to throwing in more white lands, but I'll just have to tweak the manabase to support cleric and Otujai's Command from the sb if I go that route. Yeah, I play this match enough to want to alter the deck against it lol.
I don't think mono red is really that hard a match up. Ultimate price deals with non-tokens, bile blights deal with everything, drown in sorrow deals with everything, foul-tongue deals with non-token and gains you some life. I've found it's important to avoid playing tapped lands on turns 2 and 3, especially in aggressive match ups. Having the mana to end step kill something or anticipate early is super helpful.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160992973]Somebody sell me their snapcaster mages :-([/QUOTE]I will give you all of my Snapcaster Mages for Seventy U.S. Dollars.

All 0 of them ;( I had the opportunity to buy a playset when they were still in standard, but decided I would wait for rotation, because they were sure to go down.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why would you assume a Modern/Vintage/Legacy staple would go down in price?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Dark and Ice Age were both super popular at the time. You can't judge these old sets by today's standards -- drafting didn't exist, formats were still poorly defined, and people were more interested in cool and unusual cards than the kind of stuff we go for these days.

Dude, what are you talking about? I hated those sets when it came out. Those were the sets that saw print when I started playing; its not like I went back and reviewed the set by "today's standards."

Besides, I don't think that's a relevant defense of those sets. The problem with those sets is that they're just bad by any metric. Sure, there are a few interesting cards here and there, but such a large percentage of the cards are just blatantly unfun. Meaning, they're either overpowered-unfun (e.g. Hymn to Tourach, Blood Moon) or shitty drawback-unfun (any creature that was even decent had a shitty drawback, and even Necropotence's drawback was shitty when Black Vise was unrestricted). The worst part is that that's like 1% of the card pool from those sets. Its mostly nonsense like Homarid tribal.

At the very least the idea of Legends was cool. There's really no cool idea underlying the set design in the Dark, Fallen Empires or Ice Age. Ice Age made me quit until Mirage came out.

Dude, what are you talking about? I hated those sets when it came out.

You expressed confusion how the game survived them. The answer is that half those sets were super popular with the game's audience. No one cares what you personally thought. :p

The problem with those sets is that they're just bad by any metric. Sure, there are a few interesting cards here and there, but such a large percentage of the cards are just blatantly unfun.

This applies to every single set until probably Tempest, if not later.

Angry Grimace

You expressed confusion how the game survived them. The answer is that half those sets were super popular with the game's audience. No one cares what you personally thought. :p

I honestly doubt people truly liked them more than the core set at the time. At least no one I knew did.

How Magic survived aside, they're still pretty bad sets by any metric other than "people purchased them."

Matriox

Don't listen to him, I care!

Jhriad

Don't ever deal with Green Lake Games. I still haven't gotten a bunch of DTK cards I pre-ordered from them, and when I contacted them about it they're all like "We're sorry, they must have gotten lost in the mail but we'll resend them for you but we've also lost your address, can you send us your address again?" like they couldn't have just gotten that shit through Amazon where placed the order. :rolleyes

They did the exact same thing to me. Same excuse and address bit as well. Two separate orders that still haven't come and at this point it feels like they're just hoping I forget about it so they can pocket the money.

Angry Grimace

I haven't gotten the sense he's super-popular in EDH particularly, he's just a super-playable card in multiple formats.
I don't think there's any kind of non-anecdotal evidence from the time period though. It wasn't a terribly large company doing tons of market research or anything.

Besides, as I said before, its not even really relevant. They aren't well designed sets in any way. If you want to exclude them from the conversation, okay, but they still are bad sets that added mostly garbage.

Help:

Modern legal card(s) in white or blue (or any color after) that put(s) cards from your hand back on top of your library.

There are no modern legal tuck effects (well other than Psychotic Episode, but you'd have to be having one to use that).

Angry Grimace

That was my worry. Dang.

There are ones that will top/bottom a card from the battlefield, but the kind of effect you're talking about is basically Brainstorm, which hasn't really been printed since Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

kirblar

Having a higher % of reprints in the main sets is a good thing. Power level of Standard sets is going to go up simply because they know they'll rotate out more quickly and can be splashier with them.

ElyrionX

Weren't we all panicking about some amazing counterfeits a year or two ago and it turned out to be a whole lot of nothing?

I don't know what it was like a year ago but this is the wrong attitude to be adopting towards this issue. There is a post on reddit about how a seasoned store owner could not distinguish between the real and fake ones.

I spoke to a local dealer who has been in the business for more than a decade and made a killing off just trading cards and he said recent fakes were virtually indistinguishable from the real thing in person. Another big local player trader has moved on to buying foils only because he could not reliably tell the difference between real and fake and he unknowingly ended up with a fake in his collection.

The situation is very very real and everyone needs to be taking this seriously. Imagine if you blew $55 on Snap and it turned out to be fake.

I don't think there's any kind of non-anecdotal evidence from the time period though. It wasn't a terribly large company doing tons of market research or anything.

Sure, I just think it's absurd to be like "well *I* didn't like Ice Age, I don't know how Magic didn't die!" It didn't die because people Hoovered up every set through The Dark, got really pumped for Ice Age, and after the one point where things really were in trouble (eight months where the only new set was Homelands) they got to buy Alliances.

(Also, just personally, I think the Dark is actually a little underrated these days.)

ironmang

I don't know what it was like a year ago but this is the wrong attitude to be adopting towards this issue. There is a post on reddit about how a seasoned store owner could not distinguish between the real and fake ones.

I spoke to a local dealer who has been in the business for more than a decade and made a killing off just trading cards and he said recent fakes were virtually indistinguishable from the real thing in person. Another big local player trader has moved on to buying foils only because he could not reliably tell the difference between real and fake and he unknowingly ended up with a fake in his collection.

The situation is very very real and everyone needs to be taking this seriously. Imagine if you blew $55 on Snap and it turned out to be fake.

I don't see how we can really do anything about it. If they're being used double sleeved in tournaments it's not like we'll ever even know. I could easily trade for a fake from a local at a shop who got it trading at a big event or online and never know until I've already traded it to someone else.

ElyrionX

I don't see how we can really do anything about it. If they're being used double sleeved in tournaments it's not like we'll ever even know. I could easily trade for a fake from a local at a shop who got it trading at a big event or online and never know until I've already traded it to someone else.

We need to at least be concerned and express these concerns to fellow players. Raising awareness is the thing we need to be doing and we need to kick up a fuss so Wizards will be more proactive about it. Sweeping it under the rug and dismissing it as non-existent is the last thing we should be doing.

Angry Grimace

Sure, I just think it's absurd to be like "well *I* didn't like Ice Age, I don't know how Magic didn't die!" It didn't die because people Hoovered up every set through The Dark, got really pumped for Ice Age, and after the one point where things really were in trouble (eight months where the only new set was Homelands) they got to buy Alliances.

(Also, just personally, I think the Dark is actually a little underrated these days.)

Someone asked for people's opinions. *shrug*

I'm honestly not really sure why you're continuing to bag on me for that particular opinion as there really isn't a disagreement on the fact that people bought the sets (although all of them were also underprinted and the only time they didn't underprint in Fallen Empires, people actually didn't buy them).

Dumb Question regarding the next Phyrexia Set: what would everyone want to see in such a set as the actual plane? I'm kind of stupid in wanting Scars of Theros, with Phyrexia vs the Theros Gods as the main conflict. I base this mostly off of Eslpeth being the NuWalker who has the most ties to Phyrexia as a whole in lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom