• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Yeah if I built a deck in this Standard I wouldn't build Esper. I've never been willing to pay more to play a more (personally) boring strategy. People who play blue white are used to paying a premium.

I do sometimes feel bad for playing control. It visibly makes people upset like no other decks. But geez do I like to pilot it. I think most of the Esper cards usually started out really cheap, and then spike up after a few weeks. Like what did Sphix's Rev start at? $4? We are seeing the same thing with Otujai, except at least Otujai started at what $10?

Firemind

More upset than Sphinx's Revelation for a billion or rebuy hawks or brainstorm every turn or fateseal every turn? At least Ojutai kills swiftly.

The Esper Dragons control deck is waaaaaay less shitty than the Elixir/Revelation decks from last season. I have zero complaints about it. I think it's a sweet deck that plays well and is actually pretty fun to watch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I do sometimes feel bad for playing control. It visibly makes people upset like no other decks. But geez do I like to pilot it. I think most of the Esper cards usually started out really cheap, and then spike up after a few weeks. Like what did Sphix's Rev start at? $4? We are seeing the same thing with Otujai, except at least Otujai started at what $10?

Straight permission decks are just flat out boring and WOTC should never encourage them to exist. But I enjoy playing controlling strategies. Silumgar's Scorn is a neat card because it allows you to play a controlling strategy while requiring you to consider a proactive strategy for the spell to be worth having in your deck.

I absolutely hate cards like Dissolve and shit, that's the WORSE version of Counterspell. Draw-Go-Counter your shit is just the most unimaginative strategy ever.

Why does my brain think all these stupid combo ideas work? I just had an idea for an Exploit Deck that splashes White for Athreos. It's a stupid idea, but I like the general gist of it with Exploit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161461402]I cant decide if I wanna build BUG or Twin.[/QUOTE]

Do you want to win?

Yes ----> Twin
No ----> BUG

Real answer: Modern is a dumb format, don't try and be competitive in it.

red13th

nah I love watching everything modern that doesn't involve Twin (or Eggs, does anyone remember Eggs? that was terrible, please never unban Second Sunrise).

Wichu

Turns out morph is still my favourite mechanic. I made the most ridiculous comeback at FNM against a R/B deck.

I've Aetherspouted away my opponent's Sarkhan Dragonspeaker and two Goblin tokens - she plays Outpost Siege, and next turn drops Stormbreath Dragon and brings me down to 5.

I currently control an unequipped Ghostfire Blade, Trail of Mystery, Mastery of the Unseen, Elvish Mystic, and Deathmist Raptor. I play a morph, leaving me with 1 card in hand (another Mastery of the Unseen).

Opponent exiles a land off Outpost Siege, and attacks with Stormbreath, bringing me down to 1. She then monstrouses Stormbreath to kill me. In response, I flip Rattleclaw Mystic and gain 3 life, surviving on 3.

I draw, and play another morph.

Opponent exiles Thunderbreak Regent off Outpost Siege, then casts Hero's Downfall at my morph. In response, I flip Kheru Spellsnatcher, gain 4 life (up to 7), and counter the Downfall. Opponent casts Thunderbreak, and in response I Downfall the Stormbreath (dat 3-for-1).

I draw, play a morph and another Mastery, and remember to equip it with Ghostfire Blade this time.

Opponent exiles a land off Outpost Siege, casts Dragonlord Kolaghan, and swings in for 10. I unmorph Icefeather Aven, take 3 to bounce Kolaghan, gain 10 from double Mastery trigger (now on 14), then block Thunderbreak with my 6/6 flier (Trail of Mystery + Ghostfire Blade).

Next turn, I manifest Whisperwood using Mastery, and just overwhelm my opponent with creatures and life.

Angry Grimace

I really should just quit this game. Every single time I play I get 1 or 2 lands and nothing. Literally have lost 20 matches on MTGO in the last three days. I'm not even playing dumb brews, I'm just playing regular Tier 1 decks and just losing every game for no real reason other than drawing no lands or all lands.

Edit: Fuck it, just lost again to no lands. What's the best site to sell your collection?

red13th

just bought Hero of Bladehold, I don't think they will reprint it in MM15 since Mythic slots are so few. I kinda wish they did and gave it new artwork, Vendilion Clique style, both versions have pretty bad art.
I need the new Clique, Willian Murai is so good.

Angry Grimace

The Vendilion Clique isn't all girls, so they can't be Powerpuff. One of them's a dude.

It still pisses me off that Vendilion Clique is Mythic.

red13th

WotC should release a new game that works like the old Micropose Magic the Gathering game, with dungeons, bosses and getting cards as loot, it was fun.

Matriox

WotC should release a new game that works like the old Micropose Magic the Gathering game, with dungeons, bosses and getting cards as loot, it was fun.

I download Shandalaar from time to time, God damn that game is bullshit sometimes lol. Would love for it to be updated a bit, mana burn gets me occasionally because I forgot about it.

red13th

I download Shandalaar from time to time, God damn that game is bullshit sometimes lol. Would love for it to be updated a bit, mana burn gets me occasionally because I forgot about it.

I saw a sealed copy for sale in Japan, so nostalgic.
I vaguely remember an elderly dude with a mono white Armageddon Clock deck.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
just bought Hero of Bladehold, I don't think they will reprint it in MM15 since Mythic slots are so few. I kinda wish they did and gave it new artwork, Vendilion Clique style, both versions have pretty bad art.
I need the new Clique, Willian Murai is so good.
The pre-release Hero is the worst metal bikini fantasy junk.

Angry Grimace

I don't really understand why they printed Virulent Plague. Its a stupid card that is functionally useless 99% of the time beyond making a specific deck completely invalid.

kirblar

I don't really understand why they printed Virulent Plague. Its a stupid card that is functionally useless 99% of the time beyond making a specific deck completely invalid.
Because Jeskai Ascendancy is incredibly obnoxious and they wanted a card that hard-countered the token version of the deck.

Angry Grimace

Because Jeskai Ascendancy is incredibly obnoxious and they wanted a card that hard-countered the token version of the deck.

That doesn't make sense, dude. DTK and KTK were designed closely enough together if that was true they would have just deleted the untap clause on Jeskai Ascendancy.

Even assuming, arguendo, that what you are saying is true, printing a single card that invalidates an entire deck is absurd. You know what else is incredibly obnoxious? Every single deck being Mono Red Aggro or Esper Dragon Control. That doesn't mean we go out and print 2G Enchantments that say "spells can't be countered."

Arksy

Yeah I invested a huge deal into my Jeskai Tokens deck, got to play it about half a dozen times and now it's completely irrelevant.

Sigh. :(

That doesn't make sense, dude. DTK and KTK were designed closely enough together if that was true they would have just deleted the untap clause on Jeskai Ascendancy.

Any time there's a weird ultra-narrow hoser like this it's because they wanted to give people some out if a particular deck got super-obnoxious. Nobody's gonna run a 3-mana token hoser even in their sideboard unless token decks just get completely out of control.

Angry Grimace

I made my Temur Dragons deck better by deleting Sarkhan Unbroken and putting in some Icefall Regents instead.

The dream is dead, guys.

Yeef

Illness in the Ranks already did that.

69.jpg

I can't figure out if Stratus Dancer is good or not. It blocks aggro and attacks control in the early game, and it's a counter late game, but it winds up being kind of awkward more often than I expect, which is strange for such a flexible card.Sometimes I just want actual negate.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161536762]I can't figure out if Stratus Dancer is good or not. It blocks aggro and attacks control in the early game, and it's a counter late game, but it winds up being kind of awkward more often than I expect, which is strange for such a flexible card.Sometimes I just want actual negate.[/QUOTE]
It's probably good in heavy creature decks. Go play some temur with den protectors and stratus dancers.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161536762]I can't figure out if Stratus Dancer is good or not. It blocks aggro and attacks control in the early game, and it's a counter late game, but it winds up being kind of awkward more often than I expect, which is strange for such a flexible card.Sometimes I just want actual negate.[/QUOTE]
Trying it out in my modern Manifest build. I'll be building it this weekend, I'll post a list after some testing

kirblar

Apparently there is only 60 people at the Regional PTQ in Catskill, New York today according to my friends, about the same amount in Philly via twitter, and 37 in Utah at Chris Pikula's. Not sure what the expectations were, but I'm curious to see what the numbers were across the board.
Philly is way smaller than expected. I wonder if there were a lot more no-show winners than they thought.

(Will definitely be trying to hit up more PPTQs now.)

I'm thinking about entering a large local tournament tomorrow that has all the local shops sending teams, but I'm only 80% comfortable with my list:

I haven't been super impressed with Deathmists, but maybe they're good enough anyway. In the sideboard, I can't decide if I want the Sultai Charms to swap out for an Ultimate Price and a Rec Sage, or if I want the Stratus Dancers to be Negates. I think without the Deathmist Raptors, maybe Negates are better?

I've tried with and without Sylvans, and I like the deck better without them, but adding Atarka makes that harder to justify. I ran the 4th Den Protector, a pair of Deathmists and an Ultimate Price over the 4 Sylvans previously. A second Hornet Queen was in the Atarka slot.

Apparently there is only 60 people at the Regional PTQ in Catskill, New York today according to my friends, about the same amount in Philly via twitter (also from this), and 38 in Utah at Chris Pikula's. Not sure what the expectations were, but I'm curious to see what the numbers were across the board.

Edit: 114 in Chicago.

Wow, the PPTQs here range around 50-140 people lol

38 at an actual PTQ is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom