• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Oh, yeah, that's also dead. Maybe Intimidate isn't dead, as Red still needs some sort of evasion for limited

Landwalk has practically been gone for ages. That makes sense.

What if red's evasion became something like:

Strong Arm 1: This creature can not be blocked by creatures with power 1 or less

Strong Arm 3: This creature can not be blocked by creatures with power 3 or less​

Or what if were simpler like this:

Strong Arm: Creatures with power equal to or less than (EXAMPLE)'s base power can not block (EXAMPLE)​

Obviously the name sucks but it's an idea.

OnPoint

Is there a reason why these evergreen keywords are being phased out?

Regeneration is hella confusing and doesn't work how people would imagine it would.

Landwalk it stupid and only applies a small fraction of the time.

Intimidate is useless outside of draft.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Regeneration is hella confusing and doesn't work how people would imagine it would.

Landwalk it stupid and only applies a small fraction of the time.

Intimidate is useless outside of draft.

Intimidate is pretty cool in EDH and playing Mono-Black decks. Cool is about the extent of it though.

bigkrev

Is there a reason why these evergreen keywords are being phased out?

Regenerate does not work like you think it would, and is super annoying at a constructed power level because they don't print Bury effects anymore

Protection is even more confusing- if Shroud can't exist because it might confuse people, Protection can't exist either.

Yeef

They don't like Intimidate and Landwalk because they go from really good to meaningless based on the colors your opponent is playing.

Based on recent sets, I'm guess they'll be using the two-headed ability more where they'd normally use intimidate (can't be blocked, except by X or more creatures).

Silumgar Assassin's evasion is also a bit weird. It's the only creature with that form of evasion. It almost acts like a pseudo-deathtouch since it's rare that anything that blocks it won't trade with it. There's a chance they'll use it more in the future.

OnPoint

Lifebane Zombie says hai.

C'mon, that wasn't why Lifebane was good. It was good because it basically nullified green creature strategies for an entire season and hit white ones too. The Intimidate ability was a bonus -- the card is only slightly less bonkers without it.

Crocodile

Splinter Twin as a mythic is kind of lame. I assume its because they don't want two card combos in limited but I feel it would come up a lot less frequent than would be necessary to warrant that rarity bump :/

C'mon, that wasn't why Lifebane was good. It was good because it basically nullified green creature strategies for an entire season and hit white ones too. The Intimidate ability was a bonus -- the card is only slightly less bonkers without it.

The evasion was still super relevant as it could often breeze through those Green decks it hated on so much. It also made the card much more maindeckable.

I still don't entirely understand WOTCs issue with intimidate but I guess I've already said my piece on that enough times

Also the evasion of Silumgar's Assasion is weird and shitty

ultron87

If they didn't want the 2 card win in limited they could just not put Pestermite or Exarch in the set. That's a much better option than an enchantment that is fair in most circumstances being Mythic for dumb reasons.

OnPoint

The evasion was still super relevant as it could often breeze through those Green decks it hated on so much. It also made the card much more maindeckable.

I still don't entirely understand WOTCs issue with intimidate but I guess I've already said my piece on that enough times

Yeah, the ability was sometimes relevant. I wouldn't really question that, but it always felt like an extra sauce on an already awesome card. I tend to think about it this way:

Lifebane Zombie 1BB

Intimidate

3/1​

As opposed to

Lifebane Zombie 1BB

When it enters the battlefield, look
at target player's hand and exile
a white or green creature from it.

3/1​

The one that is conditional exile discard (especially during a season when graveyard decks were big) with a creature stapled to it is better than the straight up Intimidate creature. I think the card loses almost no playability if you remove the Intimidate, and loses almost all of it if it only has Initimidate. Obviously the combo was really good, but I'd say one ability was much stronger than the other.

MjFrancis

Splinter Twin on a Wall of Omens isn't even too shabby sometimes. It would probably work well in Limited, and Wall of Omens is due for a reprint. There's no reason that card should even be worth a buck anyways.

There are a lot of uncommons that are stupidly expensive. At least Remand did finally get a reprint, but there are others. I think Inquisition is something like $8-9, for example.

Kerrinck

I think twin being a mythic is probably because they couldn't come up with any other red chase card that was worth of being mythic with the exception of Kiki Jiki.

OnPoint

I think twin being a mythic is probably because they couldn't come up with any other red chase card that was worth of being mythic with the exception of Kiki Jiki.

It's almost certainly because of limited balancing. But there is a severe lack of high rarity red playables though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't wait until they get rid of gratuitous lifelink, e.g. Whip of Erebos.

red13th

I was going to post something like I can buy a Tarmogoyf with the money I'd spend buying one of each enemy fetch but then I thought about that for a second and damn Magic is a horrible game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was going to post something like I can buy a Tarmogoyf with the money I'd spend buying one of each enemy fetch but then I thought about that for a second and damn Magic is a horrible game.

I'll admit that right now I'm pretty down on it. Modern is insanely expensive, and Standard has been mostly ruined by the Esper Dragons deck.

Angry Grimace

Why is Narset still expensive?

You're going to hear the word "casual appeal" a lot.

But the real answer is twofold: people won't let go of their delusional idea that she's good in control and the stores that sell them don't want to take a bath on it. Both of these reasons can be condensed down into WanderingWind's answer.

y2dvd

Please reprint enemy fetches, 50 dollars for a stupid Scalding Tarn? :/

I think they'll actually wait until the set after BoZ to reprint enemy fetches. Imagine all that fetching that's going on if every fetchland is available in the same standard rotation. Yuck!

I think they'll actually wait until the set after BoZ to reprint enemy fetches. Imagine all that fetching that's going on if every fetchland is available in the same standard rotation. Yuck!

Remember that we'll be starting the new rotation schedule, so you'd only have all of the fetchlands in Standard for one rotation (two sets) before the Khans fetches rotated out.

Angry Grimace

So I played that 5c Mono Blue deck a bit and its basically durdle.dec. An Esper Dragons matchup is favorable but holy hell does it take fucking forever. Its basically, draw - go -put a counter on my crucible -cast Dromoka off one land - do it all over again once they kill your Dromoka. It seems like they can never really finish off Dromoka or Ojutai because there's just too many of them to begin with and too many Havens pulling them right back. But unless they draw really bad, it takes forever to actually get in a position where they can no longer do anything to stop the Dragonlords.

Angry Grimace

God I hate draw-counter-go decks. So damned boring and they suck all of the fun out of the game.

I don't think WOTC should encourage that kind of deck, but its just part of the game. Draw-go vs. draw-go is not exciting though.

Firemind

It is when you have red in your control deck. EOT Urza's Rage with kicker targeting you. Or armageddon you with Ajani Vengeant. Or Banefire for a million. What I'm saying is red solves everything.

Angry Grimace

It is when you have red in your control deck. EOT Urza's Rage with kicker targeting you. Or armageddon you with Ajani Vengeant. Or Banefire for a million. What I'm saying is red solves everything.

vkM7NVp.png

Firemind

I'm still waiting for a red walker that has the stone rain ability.

1RR
0: target mountain becomes a 3/1 elemental until end of turn. it's still a land.
-1: target player can't play lands on his or her next turn.
-2: destroy target land.

Jhriad

1RR
0: target mountain becomes a 3/1 elemental until end of turn. it's still a land.

So on turn three I can make sure my opponent won't be able to play lands for the next three turns? Seems a little OP.

Crocodile

1RR

Have fun waiting until the end of time LOL (at least for a CMC like that)

OnPoint

1RR
That's a $50+ right there. Way too good. Plus they don't really do land destro now.

OnPoint

What if they updated protection to this

Resistance to Red: If a red spell or
source would deal damage to
EXAMPLE it gains indestructible until eot.

Or

Resistance to Red: If a red spell or
source targets EXAMPLE it gains
hexproof until eot.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom