• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, my buddy just lost to Paul Cheon at the Regional PTQ here. He won game won them mulled to oblivion game 2 and died to his own lands while Cheon did nothing for infinite turns game 3. That dude is just loved by the universe.

the braggart!

Paul Cheon @HAUMPH · 2h 2 hours ago
1-1 #rptq managed to win the side boarded games against monored

Draft Tonight was fun as hell. Cracked a Dragonlord Ojutai, traded him after for Dromoka 2.0, Dromoka's command, some cheap cards I want for Soldier tribal, and $5. $5 bought me a Khans pack, which had a Sorin. My luck at moments. Sucks I can't continue drafting there as University is starting up and I have to return.

Joe Molotov

Did a Conspiracy draft, which I sucked at, then did a DTK draft, which I won playing some kind of U/G mess. Pulled a Dragonlord Ojutai out of my prize packs. Yay, drafting!

f0rk

red13th

Ok, so I want Tarmogoyf, Vendilion Clique, Dark Confidant, Elesh Norn and Karn Liberated out of the Mythics, Cryptic Command (maybe Primal and Profane too for new formatting), Noble Hierarch and Goblin Guide of the rares.
Welp I'm spending a lot of money with MM15. Thankfully it's only one of each.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If I open a Tezzeret and the guy next to me cracks a Gofy, I'm gonna tie his shoelaces to the draft table when he's showing it off.

ironmang

Splinter Twin being reprinted at all is a little disappointing. Seems unlikely that they'll ban it anytime soon if that's the case.

Splinter Twin being reprinted at all is a little disappointing. Seems unlikely that they'll ban it anytime soon if that's the case.
I'm a lot happier I got my set if the leak is true because of this lol

Itll be nice to get somewhat cheaper cryptics, maybe clique will drop a bit? Please :(

Matriox

It seems we have 2 remaining mythics to be spoiled then if that's correct. Green, Black, and Red only have 1 mythic so far, so its probably fair to assume at least one multi-color left, but they don't necessarily have to have an even spread on colors at mythic.

EDIT: I know its a dream at this point, but what are the odds we see Damnation printed here (not mythic, just in general)?

EDIT 2: 6 colorless mythics...

Exokell

Banned
i aint drafting this set, ill just wait for the cards to lower in price and buy them. Who am i kidding? If this set is as fun as original mm. Im fucking drafting.

kirblar

The 5 Color Mono U Dragons deck is legit. Will likely cause a Dromoka spike.

2 Perilous Vault
1 Dragonlord Atarka
3 Dragonlord Dromoka
3 Dragonlord Ojutai
1 Dragonlord Silumgar
2 Anticipate
3 Dig Through Time
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Voyage's End
4 Dissolve
2 Encase in Ice
2 Nullify
2 Icefall Regent
4 Silumgar's Scorn
4 Crucible of the Spirit Dragon
4 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
5 Island
4 Polluted Delta
2 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Epiphany
4 Temple of Mystery
1 Dragonlord's Prerogative
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
SB: 1 Dragonlord Silumgar
SB: 1 Dragonlord Atarka
SB: 1 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
SB: 4 Omenspeaker
SB: 1 Negate
SB: 4 Master of Waves
SB: 1 Encase in Ice
SB: 1 Disdainful Stroke
SB: 1 Dragonlord's Prerogative

It beats the crap out of Esper because it gets to play a Tempo game vs them, and Esper just can't answer enough cards.

Firemind

It makes sense if you care about the limited environment. They're putting either Pestermite or Deceiver Exarch in the set too, and they don't want one of their rares to be an "I Win" button.
I drafted Kiki-Jiki once in MM1 and, really, without any card selection that can hit creatures, it's far from reliable. This ain't cube. And I doubt MM2 is going to fare much better. Not that there are many red cards that deserve the mythic spot and be somewhat valuable. Would have been funny to see Goblin Guide at mythic though. :lol

Arksy

It beats the crap out of Esper because it gets to play a Tempo game vs them, and Esper just can't answer enough cards.

There's a lot of aggro decks out there, I'm not confident this would fare that well against mono-red. Maybe I'm underestimating it.

y2dvd

Yaaaassssss Noble Heirarch reprint. My infect deck will be complete soon enough.

Doing a sealed ptq. 15 black cards with lots of double black and 7 red cards, no double red, cmc 2-4. I'm running 18 lands. 11-7 land split sounds right?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

Seems cool, I just shudder at having opening hands with 2 havens and a crucible with all blue cards.

Firemind

I kind of want to get 3 Ojutai for 60 bucks and I kind of don't. GP Paris is, what, two weeks away? I don't feel like going. Paris is a great city, but it's Paris. Shit traffic and 2000+ sweaty people in one venue.

kirblar

I kind of want to get 3 Ojutai for 60 bucks and I kind of don't. GP Paris is, what, two weeks away? I don't feel like going. Paris is a great city, but it's Paris. Shit traffic and 2000+ sweaty people in one venue.
You are getting them cheap at 20. (USD)

EDIT: I know its a dream at this point, but what are the odds we see Damnation printed here (not mythic, just in general)?

It wasn't in FtV Annihilation, it hasn't really been reprinted at all (besides the textless Player Rewards version), and with Noble Hierarch in it's probably the single most glaring absence left in the format, so... I'd like to hope that means it's in, at least?

Man that's a depressing list. Maybe it looks better when taking the set as a whole, but given how MM1 was distributed I really doubt it.

Depressing in which sense?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Where you getting them for 20 bucks? I'll gladly take a playset at that price.

Firemind

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Love this deck so much.

Omenspeaker is such a good card that always seem really underplayed. Walls aggressive decks quite effectively and there isnt a single 1 mana spell in the format that removes it so it will always come out ahead if it gets hit by removal. Just a great card against red. And its a dork that will get in the way of invocations.

Had some free money to spend at Walgreens so I used it on the last three packs of Khans they had.

Pulled one of each:
Siege Rhino
Polluted Delta
Flooded Strand

Sweet!!!

I already have playset of Rhino and Strand though.
I'd trade a Strand for another Delta if I can find someone who wants to. I'd trade my Rhino too.

Also, what's the better play with my foil Wooded Foothills that I pulled, keep it for the value to rise over the years, or trade it for more fetch lands that I need?

Kerrinck

Also, what's the better play with my foil Wooded Foothills that I pulled, keep it for the value to rise over the years, or trade it for more fetch lands that I need?

Both Foil and Non Foil will likely rise over the years though the foil one will see a bigger increase.
If you need it for playing, definitely trade it for some fetches for your deck. If you can afford to wait, the Foil is a better investment.

I'd say that getting multiple fetches for one is the best. You get short-term benefit (more fetches to play with!) as well as long term. Non-foils probably move easier too if you should want to trade them down the road.

Yeef

Love this deck so much.

Omenspeaker is such a good card that always seem really underplayed. Walls aggressive decks quite effectively and there isnt a single 1 mana spell in the format that removes it so it will always come out ahead if it gets hit by removal. Just a great card against red. And its a dork that will get in the way of invocations.
Rending Volley?

Goddamn it. I spent the whole day yesterday prepping for our local championship that brings together all the stores from the north bay to channel fireball. I focused on tuning my deck for two matchups: Atarka Red and Esper Control. I finally got the deck where I was happy with it around 11pm last night, so I went today.

Five out of my seven rounds of swiss in the hundred-man tournament were two Atarka Red and three Esper Control. I beat those decks 10-1 in games, just like I drew it up. I lost one round to the 4CDC mirror match with an active Ashiok and my opponent at three cards in his library, and one turn away from lethal damage. What can you do, it's a mirror. I also UID'd against Abzan Control because we started game three with two minutes on the clock. Maybe I could have prevented that situation, I don't know.

So my overall record was 5-1-1 and I wind up in 9th place on breakers. Wow :-(
Instead of playing for 800 bucks and a trophy, I walk out $15 up on my entry fee. :(

Oh well. I probably could have found a better line in the mirror match to close out the game three and I wouldn't have this problem. That game was super crazy, I had my entire deck in my graveyard with 12 lands out and my last top deck was a Den Protector. I sat there for like ten minutes and was always one damage short.

Anyways, receipts for Angry Grimace.

And here's the final 4CDC list I submitted if anyone's interested. I did swap the Yavimaya Coast for a Mana Confluence at the last minute, but I'm not sure that was correct.

Hmmm, Rosewater pretty much confirmed today that they're retiring some old evergreen keywords (we pretty much knew this) and that there's at least one new one that hasn't been keyworded yet.

kirblar

I think Haunt's actually fixable, you just have to handle it completely differently. (As long as *Cardname* is haunting another, that creature gets -2/-2)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think Haunt's actually fixable, you just have to handle it completely differently. (As long as *Cardname* is haunting another, that creature gets -2/-2)

2BB
Deathly Spectre
Enchantment Creature
NewHaunt (When this creature is put into a graveyard from play, if it isn't an aura return it to play as aura attached to target creature)
Haunted creature gets -2/-2

2/2

(there aren't a lot of good synonyms for haunt)

kirblar

2BB
Deathly Spectre
Enchantment Creature
NewHaunt (When this creature is put into a graveyard from play, if it isn't an aura return it to play as aura attached to target creature)
Haunted creature gets -2/-2

2/2

(there aren't a lot of good synonyms for haunt)
This is why you just use haunt- it's actually less complicated.

The biggest problem is really that they essentially made two similar but distinct mechanics, the creature version (triggers on dying) and the spell version (triggers on resolution.) The tortured "when ~ enters the battlefield or the creature it's haunting dies" wording is pretty awful too. So yeah, I agree, if you just treat it as kind of a reverse-imprint (which would work even with the exact wording of the existing mechanic) it would probably work way better.

bigkrev

Hmmm, Rosewater pretty much confirmed today that they're retiring some old evergreen keywords (we pretty much knew this) and that there's at least one new one that hasn't been keyworded yet.

RIP Regenerate, Protection, Intimidation?

I'm not getting my hopes up for the death of Hexproof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom