• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

What if they updated protection to this

Resistance to Red: If a red spell or
source would deal damage to
EXAMPLE it gains indestructible until eot.

Or

Resistance to Red: If a red spell or
source targets EXAMPLE it gains
hexproof until eot.​
Too complicated. It's more likely that they just break up the different parts of protection into separate abilities, like we saw on Avacyn 2.0.

I'm still surprised that Athreos isn't being used with Exploit/Esper at all. Like, Esper has the ways to prevent you from losing him, and he's a nice way to put a tax on your opponents. Sure, it's not like it's Dragonlord Ojutai, but the "I get X back unless you pay 3 life" just seems like it would work well with Exploit. Plus, Esper has the ways to protect it.

Maybe my inner Johnny is just blinding me or something.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161855737]I'm still not impressed by Esper Dragons. I'd be surprised if it keeps winning like this.[/QUOTE]
I do not understand how people looked at that deck week 1 and thought anything other than "This is fucking bonkers"

Silumgar's Scorn is not a real magic card. Ojutai just wins a game on his own once you untap with him AND you get a one-side Wrath.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161852788]Should I buy Misty Rainforests at $25?[/QUOTE]
If you need them now? Yes. You won't lose that much in a reprint.

OnPoint

Too complicated. It's more likely that they just break up the different parts of protection into separate abilities, like we saw on Avacyn 2.0.

Well, I was suggesting they go one route or the other. Not print both on the same card. That would be bananas

Yeef

Well, I was suggesting they go one route or the other. Not print both on the same card. That would be bananas
I know, but both are too complicated. "If something happens, this guy gains another ability" is fairly complex for an evergreen mechanic. What I was saying was, rather than having a new mechanic to replace protection, they'll just use different parts of protection, piecemeal, instead.

So for example, instead of a creature with "Protection from Red," they'd just print a creature that said "Prevent all damage that red sources would deal to this." It can still be enchanted, equipped, targeted and blocked by red stuff, but doesn't take damage.

It both allows them to get rid of a complicated keyword and have more nuanced designs. We've already seen them try this with both Avacyn 2.0 (she only gives the damage part of protection) and Fiendslayer Paladin (it only has the targeting part of protection).

Phew. So at this point I've managed to aquire just about everything for my Twin deck. All that's left really is waiting on that Cryptic Command reprint so I can get them a bit cheaper.

I'm sad that the Cliques I traded for aren't the new art, but that's fine.

I've said before that protection should be broken up like this:

Can't be damaged - Resistance to X
Ex: Resistance to red (This creature can't be dealt damage by anything red)

Can't be enchanted/equipped - no keyword, wouldn't be used much

Can't be blocked - no keyword, would just be written out

Can't be targeted - Hexproof from X, so not quite the same functionality
Ex: Hexproof from black (This creature can't be the target of black spells or abilities your opponents control.)

Is there a reason why these evergreen keywords are being phased out?

Regenerate has two weird quirks (taps the creature, is played before it actually dies.) It's too weird for them to use as much as they'd want to.

Protection is a mess; it does too much to easily remember but not as much as people sometimes think.

Landwalk is uninteractive and too color-hosey.

Intimidate has some of the color-hosey issues as well, and it also plays weird with both multicolor cards and with non-artifact colorless cards (like, say, morphs.)

Regenerate and intimidate both fill important roles, so I'd have to assume they'll replace them with a new creature-saving mechanic and some kind of black/red-appropriate evasion like "can't be blocked except by 2+ creatures."

They might also not all go away in Origins or BFZ, but these are definitely the four Rosewater's been hinting are problems for a couple years now.

The FNM Promo Path has definitely got me curious. Does that mean it is or isn't getting a reprint in MM2?

Isn't.

OnPoint

I know, but both are too complicated. "If something happens, this guy gains another ability" is fairly complex for an evergreen mechanic. What I was saying was, rather than having a new mechanic to replace protection, they'll just use different parts of protection, piecemeal, instead.

So for example, instead of a creature with "Protection from Red," they'd just print a creature that said "Prevent all damage that red sources would deal to this." It can still be enchanted, equipped, targeted and blocked by red stuff, but doesn't take damage.

It both allows them to get rid of a complicated keyword and have more nuanced designs. We've already seen them try this with both Avacyn 2.0 (she only gives the damage part of protection) and Fiendslayer Paladin (it only has the targeting part of protection).

I'm familiar with Fiendslayer Paladin and how they broke things down there. And you might be right. They might do that.

I was trying to find a clean way to get around things like "Damage can't be prevented" on some cards for the new keyword. I think it's super confusing when a card has Protection from Red but a red spell reads "This damage can't be prevented or redirected".

I can see how an ability granting abilities wouldn't work so hot. So maybe I'll try to imagine something else.

Dodge Red: If a red source would cause this creature to leave the battlefield, exile it instead. Return it to play at the beginning of the next phase.​

I have a hard-on for blink effects. So sue me.

I guess you could phrase the targeting one more like:

Reflect Red: If this creature is targeted by a red spell, counter that spell instead​

So, a store near my University will be having a Grand Prix Trial for GP Montreal. I'm debating if I should enter just for fun, as I kind of want to try some of the actual serious tournaments. Anyone got any advice on what to expect if I do it/Stories about experiences at it?

Format is Sealed, hence my actual interest(My Deck building outside limited is crap due to Johnny tendencies.

ironmang

If the new spoilers turn out to be real I'm probably going to end up buying a box of MM2015. The $10 per pack and absurd mythics like Goyf are annoying but I got screwed out of my box of MM2013 and want to get that experience of opening a premium box.

So, a store near my University will be having a Grand Prix Trial for GP Montreal. I'm debating if I should enter just for fun, as I kind of want to try some of the actual serious tournaments. Anyone got any advice on what to expect if I do it/Stories about experiences at it?

Format is Sealed, hence my actual interest(My Deck building outside limited is crap due to Johnny tendencies.

It's not much different than typical FNM. Since it's competitive REL though there will be a couple scumbags who will try to "rules lawyer" you but most people should be fine. Since you're doing sealed it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a picture of your final decklist before you hand it in so you can check and make sure you de-sideboarded between rounds.

Jhriad

I'm still surprised that Athreos isn't being used with Exploit/Esper at all. Like, Esper has the ways to prevent you from losing him, and he's a nice way to put a tax on your opponents. Sure, it's not like it's Dragonlord Ojutai, but the "I get X back unless you pay 3 life" just seems like it would work well with Exploit. Plus, Esper has the ways to protect it.

You and I are of the same mind as I was thinking about this last night as well. Mostly because I wanted to make a deck with Profaner of the Dead and Sidisi, Undead Vizier.

y2dvd

Run 4 Qarsi Sadist
Exploit itself
Bring back with Otujai Commands
Profit!

Roommate is selling his Noble Hierarch so I can't my infect deck is broken up for now. =(
Not sure how many sealed MM2 I can do.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yo, Firemind, that site is FREAKIN LEGIT. I got my cards already. Conversely, I bought some from CFB about 12 days ago and still haven't gotten them.

What what. Ojutai in all the decks let's do this all counters UW control.

Yeef

At Competitive REL, you'll need to first register a pool, then pools will be swapped, then you'll need to register a deck. Unlike lower level limited events, you need to de-sideboard before each match; you can't edit your deck between rounds. If you really like the pool you open (maybe every pack had a foil Ojutai or foil Ugin), you can drop before the pool swap and keep your pool.

If you managed to make it to the Top 8, the top 8 will do a draft (not always; it's up to the T.O.'s discretion). Top 8 drafts are timed; you have a limited amount of time for each pick and limited amount of time between packs to review your picks. Just like with the swiss portion, you'll have to register your pool and your deck and de-sideboard between matches. Then there will be 3 single-elimination rounds to determine a winner.

Around here, at least, GPT's typically get a mediocre turnout; a lot of times they don't even fire. If you do get a good turn out expect 4 or 5 rounds of swiss on top of the 3 rounds of draft. Between the round times and the pool registration, deck building and drafting times you're looking at an 8+ our tournament (assuming you make it into the top 8), so be prepared for that food-wise and sleep-wise.

Joe Molotov

What about Indestructible? It seems like this comes up at every FNM with someone playing the Theros gods; people have trouble wrapping their heads around creatures that can be targeted, can take damage, but not die. Then there's the whole Destroy vs. Exile thing.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161852788]Should I buy Misty Rainforests at $25?[/QUOTE]

They aren't worth more than $10 or $15 IMO. Its a bad buy. They are getting reprinted, its only a matter of when. I think Zendikar is the place but who knows.

ironmang

It's not even confirmed a reprint and it's still several months away. If you need them don't play a worse deck to potentially save a little money.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161855737]I'm still not impressed by Esper Dragons. I'd be surprised if it keeps winning like this.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see your deck idea that would consistently beat it.

Kerrinck

I'd like to see your deck idea that would consistently beat it.

4c Dragons? Just built it and will start testing it today but the match up seems pretty one sided specially with the charge lands.
Seriously considering playing it on the GP this weekend. Was thinking of Esper but I have the feeling the deck will be hated way too much.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
5cU Dragons does consistently beat it, actually. :p

It does, I've been playing with it on MTGO. But I also think its consistently weaker to the rest of the meta than Esper Dragons is.

Angry Grimace

God I hate draw-counter-go decks. So damned boring and they suck all of the fun out of the game.

I just now had the biggest asshole hand of all time. Island, Island, Temple of Mystery, Silumgar's Scorn, Dissolve, Nullify, Dragonlord Ojutai

OnPoint

No, Wizards never expected Squadron Hawk to be a tournament card.

Sure, but they've never been strangers to sneaking in answers in an emergency. Wasn't Caw Blade super oppressive?

I imagine it was printed because that effect is super popular with a certain segment.

I mean, it's an awesome card. It won me a match against Delver in M12-Scars-Inn-M13 at an SCG open when I Extracted his Ponders on turn 1. He was dumbfounded.

kirblar

I just now had the biggest asshole hand of all time. Island, Island, Temple of Mystery, Silumgar's Scorn, Dissolve, Nullify, Dragonlord Ojutai
I would toss Dissolve into the "Who thought this was ok to print?" category as well.

They literally didn't know about how good Hawk was when Extraction was printed. It's just a good niche hoser card to police formats.

Angry Grimace

Extraction is good as a weird combo hoser against decks like Breakfast Burrito (a Legacy deck that wins Turn 1 or just loses, that's all it does).

But that effect in general is just popular among casuals so they print a lot of them. Slaughter Games was easily the best version of that effect since its uncounterable, but it never saw play since Rakdos isn't terribly good and it really only was good for what - stopping Sphinx's Revelation decks?

A lot of players at my shop love that shit for some reason. Surgical, Extirpate, Slaughter Games, and Stain the Mind show up in about every sideboard of decks that can cast them.

That effect is better in theory than it is in reality. Most good decks don't revolve around a single effect like that absent something weird like the "winless UW" thing Ivan Floch had last year at the PT. I remember there being one guy in the semis who happened to have 2 copies of Slaughter Games in the sideboard and everyone was basically like, "if that guy manages to get to the finals, Ivan Floch basically can't win." And then he lost to the GW Aggro dude and Floch won.

kirblar

Extraction is good as a weird combo hoser against decks like Breakfast Burrito (a Legacy deck that wins Turn 1 or just loses, that's all it does).

But that effect in general is just popular among casuals so they print a lot of them. Slaughter Games was easily the best version of that effect since its uncounterable, but it never saw play since Rakdos isn't terribly good and it really only was good for what - stopping Sphinx's Revelation decks?
Games sees play in Modern- you see less of it cause there's been less Jund.

Angry Grimace

Games sees play in Modern- you see less of it cause there's been less Jund.

That effect is a lot better when you have fragile combos that revolve solely around resolve one particular card. But even in Modern, what are you going to use it against? Seems like a trap to side that in for Twin. I guess you could use it against Amulet? I don't know.

(Do people still play Scapeshift?)

My favorite use for Surgical Extraction is in the Modern Mill deck that was the flavor of the month about a year ago. Archive Trap you, Surgical your Splinter Twin. Have a nice day!

Kerrinck

My favorite use for Surgical Extraction is in the Modern Mill deck that was the flavor of the month about a year ago. Archive Trap you, Surgical your Splinter Twin. Have a nice day!

The problem is that the deck can still beat you without the combo. Bolt, Snap and Bolt is pretty nasty.

That effect is a lot better when you have fragile combos that revolve solely around resolve one particular card. But even in Modern, what are you going to use it against? Seems like a trap to side that in for Twin. I guess you could use it against Amulet? I don't know.

(Do people still play Scapeshift?)

It's pretty good against Scapeshift and some weird decks like Ad Nauseam. Other than that, it's probably way too slow and low impact for the format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom