• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmang

That effect is a lot better when you have fragile combos that revolve solely around resolve one particular card. But even in Modern, what are you going to use it against? Seems like a trap to side that in for Twin. I guess you could use it against Amulet? I don't know.

(Do people still play Scapeshift?)

Scapeshift is in a horrible spot with all the burn, infect, and affinity running around after the pod banning. Besides that, Ad Nauseam, and Living End there's no known decks that really care about stuff like Slaughter Games. Even then I think Ad Nauseam will be bringing in Leylines against discard decks so it's not even guaranteed.

Ad Nauseam has always been a terrible, terrible deck in Modern. I've can remember one player doing well with it in a "real" tournament. Oh, and that player was Boettcher, who lost his Rookie of the Year title for cheating.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mono-U Dragon Control.

ZWmsfgx.jpg

OnPoint

I wish they would reprint Horizon Canopy but I doubt they will add rare duals in MM15.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Filterlands show up in MM2, though those seem well suited for an actual block. But then, I also wouldn't be shocked if they did go ahead and do Canopy, Nimbus, Grove, etc. Those seem less well suited for a block.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I would be surprised if there are no rare duals in Origins. They printed half a cycle in the last "block."

Angry Grimace

Reprint the original pain lands for symmetry with M15? I don't think whatever lands they put in will be particularly valuable.

Valuable isn't really the problem. Originally M15 had enemy Checklands. Expensive lands are bullshit to begin with.

I just want decent fixing.

OnPoint

Here's a question:

Say Splinter Twin is banned. Can those decks side out the Infinite Combo package and just go forward as UR Tempo and stay tier one?

Valuable isn't really the problem. Originally M15 had enemy Checklands. Expensive lands are bullshit to begin with.

I just want decent fixing.

Agreed in full.

I'm curious to see what they're going to do with Origins. I want it to be a really unique, well planned set. I have a feeling it's going to be weird and kind of a let down.

kirblar

Here's a question:

Say Splinter Twin is banned. Can those decks side out the Infinite Combo package and just go forward as UR Tempo and stay tier one?
Not sure if they're Tier 1 but they're definitely viable in some capacity. It's why the ban won't sting as much as other- all the other cards in the deck are flexible utility cards that see tons of play elsewhere.

Firemind

Yo, Firemind, that site is FREAKIN LEGIT. I got my cards already. Conversely, I bought some from CFB about 12 days ago and still haven't gotten them.

What what. Ojutai in all the decks let's do this all counters UW control.
Oh, yeah, I used to order at CF and some local sites and thought they had reasonable prices. Boy, was I wrong. Just make sure not to exceed €25. Otherwise the order has to have tracking. Also, don't order from newbie sellers. They are also required to track the shipment. Even with tracking, I think it's still beats a lot of sites. SCGLOL

Angry Grimace

Not sure if they're Tier 1 but they're definitely viable in some capacity. It's why the ban won't sting as much as other- all the other cards in the deck are flexible utility cards that see tons of play elsewhere.

Ban Deceiver Exarch.

The deck would look very different. UR Faeries was a deck before Treasure Cruise, and it was actually reasonably good. The problem is that it doesn't make any sense to play UR Faeries when you could be playing Exarchs and Splinter Twins instead of Spellstutter Sprites.

kirblar

The deck would look very different. UR Faeries was a deck before Treasure Cruise, and it was actually reasonably good. The problem is that it doesn't make any sense to play UR Faeries when you could be playing Exarchs and Splinter Twins instead of Spellstutter Sprites.
Sure, but things like Snapcaster, Cryptic Command, Remand- these are never going to be "not good" in the format, at least any time soon.

That's actually the whole issue here- the answer to "wouldn't this just be better with Splinter Twin?" is usually yes.

I love non-Blossom Fae, but boy did Abrupt Decay take a dump on that deck.

Angry Grimace

As an aside, WanderingWind made me laugh at his claim of USA's "inferior" beer.

It literally doesn't matter what country you're even from, your beer is like 10 times worse than what we have here.

We have such a wide variety of beer in the US it's ridiculous. The problem is that the average restaurant only serves the swill, even when there's fantastic beer available in the grocery store across the street.

Angry Grimace

That doesn't even make any sense and I'm not even a beer connoisseur.

Really? Because I am and have been for a decade and have thousands of dollars of rare beer in my cellar. I also brew my own. The whole thing where Europeans claim having better beer is basically an inside joke to the craft beer community at this point. Its a 30 year old joke that hasn't made sense in forever, but Europeans who don't know anything about beer keep using it as a laughable point of pride.

We have such a wide variety of beer in the US it's ridiculous. The problem is that the average restaurant only serves the swill, even when there's fantastic beer available in the grocery store across the street.

The hilarious part is that here in California that's not even true. There hasn't been a restaurant without a craft beer selection in like a decade in this state, which happens to also be larger than every country in Europe.

Its not even just quantity and variety, its quality and innovation. Germany's been hamstrung by its obsession with the Reinheitsgebot for decades and Belgium's "innovation" is copying the stuff the US does, e.g. putting citrusy American hops in Belgian beer. The whole myth about European water is pretty much gone at this point too since water profiles have been available for decades.

Angry Grimace

Europe is made of many countries with different traditions bruh. But, yeah, ten times worse. jenniferlawrenceokay.gif

It doesn't even matter. Even if you pretended "Europe" was a unified country, its significantly worse with significantly less options than the US.

You realize, we have 100 breweries in the county I live in.

Angry Grimace

I finally sold out of my Stormbreath Dragons and Sarkhans on MTGO. That said, I probably am okay without Stormbreath until the next rotation when they'll be basically worthless outside of EDH stuff.

Probably should be looking at dumping Courser of Kruphix while I'm at it. I just can't really see a midrange deck with Dragons or whatever being super competitive for a bit. I'm just not up-to-snuff as a deckbuilder to discover one.

Arksy

Played against a mill deck the other day with my modern goblins. I have to say playing against a mill deck is the worst. We played like six games and were split pretty evenly, but it's just such a fucking drag to sit there discarding cards until you see four lands and fishing out cards from your deck to discard.

Angry Grimace

Mill is the only deck more calculated to piss your opponent off than a straight draw-go control deck.

Played against a mill deck the other day with my modern goblins. I have to say playing against a mill deck is the worst. We played like six games and were split pretty evenly, but it's just such a fucking drag to sit there discarding cards until you see four lands and fishing out cards from your deck to discard.

One copy of Emrakul in your sideboard. :lol

Angry Grimace

All of the SSL games took less time than the Vintage broken combo deck ones.
KuGsj.gif

I'm starting to feel the format-confidence that I was feeling with Esper Control at the end of last season. I've got a real plan I'm happy with with Sultai for every deck.

I've realized that I'm a tuner spike through and through. I get giddy when I look at the incomplete decks on /r/spikes.

If I had infinite money I'd have a lot of fun with metagaming but only people like Brad Nelson with the means and time really get that opportunity. I like poking around with one archetype at a time anyway.

edit:

My LGS is so cheesy lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It doesn't even matter. Even if you pretended "Europe" was a unified country, its significantly worse with significantly less options than the US.

You realize, we have 100 breweries in the county I live in.

Couple of things. One, I'm an American living in Europe. Considering the last place I lived in the US was in SoCal, I'm very well versed in the glories of BevMo. But, you know they sell American beers over here, too right? And Germany hasn't been held back by the Reinheitsgebot. It's the defining characteristic of a fantastic range of beers. So, the whole "we have 100 breweries nearby" is true out here, too. There is more attention to locality and tradition, which sort of comes with the territory of being older.

Two, it was a joke. Great beer is great beer, no matter where it comes from. It's summer, so I'm enjoying Pils from Pils at the moment. For my tastes, there aren't any American summer beers that I enjoy as much as some of the Czech pilsners. During the fall, the dunkelweizens from Monschof are my favorite here, but I definitely miss some of the more hoppy American brews at that time.

And uh, I sometimes enjoy a nice fruity ale, which doesn't really seem to exist out here, save for the American imports. Radlers do not fucking count and anybody who enjoys those might as well suck on lemons.

On the other hand, too many American local breweries are so new, they're enamored with the fact that they're a craft brewery. It doesn't matter that their beer is shit, because it's craft. There are 100 breweries near you, but I guarantee only a few of them are worth a shit. Time has a way of sorting those out.

tl;dr: American breweries are the wild west, German beers are time-tested, Oktoberfest approved. Neither is strictly better. But Czech pils are the best in their category.

MjFrancis

On the other hand, too many American local breweries are so new, they're enamored with the fact that they're a craft brewery. It doesn't matter that their beer is shit, because it's craft. There are 100 breweries near you, but I guarantee only a few of them are worth a shit. Time has a way of sorting those out.
On that note, I've tried some amazing local brews and some that strike me as incredibly mediocre. There's one semi-local brewery that has a solid customer base that doesn't care that every last batch is served under-carbonated. I don't think it's a style that they are going for either. Having brewed close to two dozen batches myself, I like a decent bit of carbonation with my beer. Not a fan of flat beer. Apparently many people don't care if it's a "craft" beer.

Also, if you have had any craft or micro-brews from the Pacific Northwest, you will find that we love IPA's and apparently the more hops in your beer the better. It's like there's an unspoken hop-war going on between the Portland and Seattle breweries. A hoppy beer might be alright from time to time, but I've had way too many that have gone overboard and use the fact that they crammed six different hops in their beer as some sort of badge of honor - nevermind that you can't differentiate between any of the specific varieties at that point.

/beer rant.

New post (because why not):

Splinter Twin and Spellskite were officially spoiled at Rare in MM15 today. So I guess that means the other list that was circulating is BS.

I do hope they just leave out Exarch and Pestermite then. Not like they really need a reprint.

I would agree, except Pestermite really is a sweet card to have in a Limited format. I got a lot of mileage out of it in MM1 draft. Screwing up your turn 3 mana production, undoing a Nantuko Shaman, surprising a blocker, triggering Dreamspoiler Witches; Pestermite does it all.

ultron87

Sure, it's a fun card, but the limited format will be much better if there isn't a rare + common turn 4 combo floating around. In a set where the limited format is all that it is it makes sense to not have that.

Twin is a good thing to reprint for price and that's the number one priority for the set, but if they can do it without torpedoing the limited format all the better.

bigkrev

Sure, it's a fun card, but the limited format will be much better if there isn't a rare + common turn 4 combo floating around. In a set where the limited format is all that it is it makes sense to not have that.

Twin is a good thing to reprint for price and that's the number one priority for the set, but if they can do it without torpedoing the limited format all the better.

I doubt Pestermite is in the set. I'd be shocked if Deciever Exarch (at Uncommon) wasn't in the set.

ultron87

Having the other combo piece at uncommon would be slightly better, but even then ugh. If the second piece of the combo was a worse creature it would be better for limited since you'd be taking the risk of drawing the bad creature and not the Twin, but with Exarch that's fine because it is a perfectly reasonable creature by itself, especially in a deck that's just holding it down until it draws the combo.

I'd rather there were just other ETB cutesy value things to do with Twin instead that don't actually just win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom