• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-Det

New post (because why not):

Splinter Twin and Spellskite were officially spoiled at Rare in MM15 today. So I guess that means the other list that was circulating is BS.

Nice to see, that list was chilling. Also just checked the current price of Spellskite, I had no idea it had jumped to $25 over time.

OnPoint

New post (because why not):

Splinter Twin and Spellskite were officially spoiled at Rare in MM15 today. So I guess that means the other list that was circulating is BS.

Why don't we post links when we post stuff? Can this thread please get in the habit of that? Because I don't know where this info is coming from.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kiki's almost certainly at Mythic then. He's one of the 4 "Big 5" that doesn't make sense to remove.

Putting Kiki at Mythic again is a huge concession to "red sucks and this is the only one we could come up with."

bigkrev

They could totally reprint Koth and stick him at Mythic

Mythics will be easier next time around, as Past in Flames and Bonfire are obvious choices

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This is clearly why it hasn't.

See: Deathrite.
Sorry, what?

832270436_820316.gif

MjFrancis

J0Lqtzx.png

6qHMW0b.png

They look nice with the new border.

I bought 4x Splinter Twin for $50 in 2014, that was the most I'd ever spent on a playset. I hope this reprinting manages to make that card hit that price again, or lower. I also picked up two Spellskites last year for about $12 each.

That being said, my Twin deck is still budget since I never bought the fetches, missed out on Cryptic Commands when they were under $20/ea and I still only have two Snapcasters. I look forward to Cryptic Command getting reprinted. This game is more fun to play when you can afford the cards. I'm buying a box of MM2 and half-speculating on it, but I would be happy if somehow the supply was enough to crash the demand of all these Modern staples. Splinter Twins @ $5/each sounds nice.

A man can dream.

OnPoint

I bought 4x Splinter Twin for $50 in 2014, that was the most I'd ever spent on a playset. I hope this reprinting manages to make that card hit that price again, or lower. I also picked up two Spellskites last year for about $12 each.

That being said, my Twin deck is still budget since I never bought the fetches, missed out on Cryptic Commands when they were under $20/ea and I still only have two Snapcasters. I look forward to Cryptic Command getting reprinted. This game is more fun to play when you can afford the cards. I'm buying a box of MM2 and half-speculating on it, but I would be happy if somehow the supply was enough to crash the demand of all these Modern staples. Splinter Twins @ $5/each sounds nice.

A man can dream.

If it follows the same pattern as before, prices will dip slightly then rise back up pretty quickly, probably higher than they were before.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Couple of things. One, I'm an American living in Europe. Considering the last place I lived in the US was in SoCal, I'm very well versed in the glories of BevMo. But, you know they sell American beers over here, too right? And Germany hasn't been held back by the Reinheitsgebot. It's the defining characteristic of a fantastic range of beers. So, the whole "we have 100 breweries nearby" is true out here, too. There is more attention to locality and tradition, which sort of comes with the territory of being older.

Two, it was a joke. Great beer is great beer, no matter where it comes from. It's summer, so I'm enjoying Pils from Pils at the moment. For my tastes, there aren't any American summer beers that I enjoy as much as some of the Czech pilsners. During the fall, the dunkelweizens from Monschof are my favorite here, but I definitely miss some of the more hoppy American brews at that time.

And uh, I sometimes enjoy a nice fruity ale, which doesn't really seem to exist out here, save for the American imports. Radlers do not fucking count and anybody who enjoys those might as well suck on lemons.

On the other hand, too many American local breweries are so new, they're enamored with the fact that they're a craft brewery. It doesn't matter that their beer is shit, because it's craft. There are 100 breweries near you, but I guarantee only a few of them are worth a shit. Time has a way of sorting those out.

tl;dr: American breweries are the wild west, German beers are time-tested, Oktoberfest approved. Neither is strictly better. But Czech pils are the best in their category.
The problem is that none of this is really.....true.

The problem is that US craft breweries can and do make the same styles of beer you can get in Belgium and Germany but the same isn't true the other way around. There's also no real merit to the claim that German and Czech breweries have some kind of secret sauce in their production of German lagers. I can tell you that they are traditionally made with 100% Pils malt and a double-decoction brewing, despite the fact that most Czech and German breweries have actually abandoned that process in favor of producing larger volumes of beer (I could get into the technical reasons, but nobody would understand what I'm talking about).

The thing people don't understand is that in the modern era terrior simply cannot exist to beer the way it can for wine. Literally any part of the European brewing process has and is being imported to the US to make those styles of beer down to the actual equipment - no, really - one local brewery (Ballast Point) recently purchased several 100% copper brewing kettles from an out-of-business German brewer and had them shipped over on a shipping crate.

(I'm not sure how you would claim the purity law doesn't impact German brewing, anyways. Its a literal process-goal that omits every possible ingredient other than water, hops, yeast and barley. Hefeweizen literally violates the Reinheitsgebot; German nobles were historically allowed to produce wheat beer under a special dispensation.)

Angry Grimace

lol no

Kiki's still the best high-value Red card for the slot.

Was Sarkhan Vol really all that expensive?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162076504]After finishing the Southern Reach trilogy, I'd be happy if I never read that word again.[/QUOTE]

Adults are talking.

Angry Grimace

They don't need the filler, not when they have the Praetor cycle right there.

I'd be happy if for 10 bucks a pack they'd forego the obsession with horizontal Mythic cycles. That kind of balance isn't really necessary in a supplemental product, tbh.

God please no more Urabrasks. I already opened way more of him than should be humanly possible.

I opened 4 Sarkhan Unbroken already. Just MTGO drafts and a few packs at Target while I was there.

OnPoint

I opened 4 Sarkhan Unbroken already. Just MTGO drafts and a few packs at Target while I was there.

Wouldn't it be nice if it didn't work that way? I have like 9 copies of Past in Flames, all pack opened. At least 2 of them could have been Lilianas and I'd have been so much happier.

WanderingWind

The problem is that none of this is really.....true.

The problem is that US craft breweries can and do make the same styles of beer you can get in Belgium and Germany but the same isn't true the other way around. There's also no real merit to the claim that German and Czech breweries have some kind of secret sauce in their production of German lagers. I can tell you that they are traditionally made with 100% Pils malt and a double-decoction brewing, despite the fact that most Czech and German breweries have actually abandoned that process in favor of producing larger volumes of beer (I could get into the technical reasons, but nobody would understand what I'm talking about).

The thing people don't understand is that in the modern era terrior simply cannot exist to beer the way it can for wine. Literally any part of the European brewing process has and is being imported to the US to make those styles of beer down to the actual equipment - no, really - one local brewery (Ballast Point) recently purchased several 100% copper brewing kettles from an out-of-business German brewer and had them shipped over on a shipping crate.

(I'm not sure how you would claim the purity law doesn't impact German brewing, anyways. Its a literal process-goal that omits every possible ingredient other than water, hops, yeast and barley. Hefeweizen literally violates the Reinheitsgebot; German nobles were historically allowed to produce wheat beer under a special dispensation.)

What isn't....true? That German and American beers have their stregths? That craft beers aren't excellent by the nature of them being craft beers? Can you point to where I said Czech or German beers have some secret ingredient, or are you confusing what I stated as preference as some sort of authoritative state of being? Are you disputing there are enormous amounts of breweries across Europe?

And read my sentence about the Reinheitsgebot again. Do I say it has't impacted German brewing? That would be a ludicrous statement on the realm of Congress doesn't affect politics in America. It is the beer industry. I said it hasn't held it back. Held back presumes that without it, the beer could be better. It wouldn't. It would be different. The Reinheitsgebot is a fundamental characteristic of the beers out here.

Also, you can most certainly get American style lagers out here. I've had them in Poland, Czech Republic and on the border of France in German at a market. You can also buy straight up American beers here.

Source: I live in Europe and lived in America for 30+ years.

Since you guys are beer nerds, I have a question. Does it ever taste better than things that don't have alcohol in them? Because the best alcoholic drinks I've ever had basically tasted like juice with alcohol in it.

The best wine I ever had was during a pairing with a 5-course meal I got down in the Financial District. The dessert wine they brought out was fantastic, and even that basically tasted like cough syrup.

I don't see why I wouldn't just order a root beer or sparkling water. Virgin Margaritas taste better than alcoholic ones.

WanderingWind

Yuengling isn't a craft beer, its a regional swill.

Lol. It's a tweener beer you use to ween your Bud bros off the real swill. Give it some credit! But the point is, you can get American beers here .

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162080341]Since you guys are beer nerds, I have a question. Does it ever taste better than things that don't have alcohol in them? Because the best alcoholic drinks I've ever had basically tasted like juice with alcohol in it.

The best wine I ever had was during a pairing with a 5-course meal I got down in the Financial District. The dessert wine they brought out was fantastic, and even that basically tasted like cough syrup.

I don't see why I wouldn't just order a root beer or sparkling water.[/QUOTE]

Tastes are tastes, but alcoholic drinks are so varied that saying "I don't like the taste of alcohol" is a nonsense statement. (Not you, but people say that). I happen to (obviously) love beer, wine and spirits, but if you don't, you don't. But the taste of alcohol isn't a real issue. If you haven't found one you like yet, then that's a pretty accurate statement. If you don't want to find one, that's cool too.

Angry Grimace

Lol. It's a tweener beer you use to ween your Bud bros off the real swill. Give it some credit! But the point is, you can get American beers here .
Sure, you can get Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams there, but its not as though that represents US beer as a whole. The availability of American beer in Europe is not particularly high at all.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162080341]Since you guys are beer nerds, I have a question. Does it ever taste better than things that don't have alcohol in them? Because the best alcoholic drinks I've ever had basically tasted like juice with alcohol in it.

I don't see why I wouldn't just order a root beer or sparkling water. Virgin Margaritas taste better than alcoholic ones.[/QUOTE]

Alcohol is an acquired taste, although I know very little about wine.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162080341]Virgin Margaritas taste better than alcoholic ones.[/QUOTE]

Tequila is like unto a gift from the gods, you philistine.

/s, but just barely

Yeah, I just really don't like the taste of alcohol.

Anyway, back on topic, basically every RPTQ had like 3 copies of Esper Dragons in the top 8. I hope the meta stays like this for a while, I'm happy to beat up on all the bad decks. Maybe I'll actually be able to win something for once. This streak of being one match short of everything is starting to hurt my feelings.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162082087]Yeah, I just really don't like the taste of alcohol.

Anyway, back on topic, basically every RPTQ had like 3 copies of Esper Dragons in the top 8. I hope the meta stays like this for a while, I'm happy to beat up on all the bad decks.[/QUOTE]

Whip isn't even close to as good as Esper Dragons is. I'm not really sure where you got the idea that Whip is the top deck or something.

MjFrancis

I don't see why I wouldn't just order a root beer or sparkling water. Virgin Margaritas taste better than alcoholic ones.[/QUOTE]If you don't drink now there's no reason to start. Beer especially seems to be an acquired taste - most nondrinkers prefer sweet beverages which straight up offend my palette at this point. I may as well drink Kool-Aid than partake in wine coolers, and I'm not even fond of good wine. That industry is quite the racket anyways.

Whip isn't even close to as good as Esper Dragons is. I'm not really sure where you got the idea that Whip is the top deck or something.

There is no top deck. Whip is just good against Esper Dragons and Atarka Red, and that's basically all I have to worry about. I get roflstomped by devotion and Abzan Aggro is also somewhat bad.

Besides, I'm barely a whip deck. It's just a Sultai Dredge deck that happens to have Whips in it. I'm not playing Doomwakes or other weird ETB cards. I'm also the only Sultai list I've seen with Havens in it. Which still blows my mind. All the other Whip players seem to still think that Sylvan Caryatids and Souls of Innistrad are good ideas, and I'm fine letting them play how they want.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162084736]There is no top deck. Whip is just good against Esper Dragons and Atarka Red, and that's basically all I have to worry about. I get roflstomped by devotion and Abzan Aggro is also somewhat bad.

Besides, I'm barely a whip deck. It's just a Sultai Dredge deck that happens to have Whips in it. I'm not playing Doomwakes or other weird ETB cards. I'm also the only Sultai list I've seen with Havens in it. Which still blows my mind. All the other Whip players seem to still think that Sylvan Caryatids and Souls of Innistrad are good ideas, and I'm fine letting them play how they want.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that I don't think Whip is good against Esper Dragons at all. I'm not sure where you're getting that.

The problem is that I don't think Whip is good against Esper Dragons at all. I'm not sure where you're getting that.
6-0 in games against esper dragons this weekend at a 100-man mostly. I spent the whole day previously making the deck beat esper. Den protector, deathmist, full set of thoughtseize main and one of my main finishers having hexproof an fucking with their cruxes is a big deal. Stratus Dancers out of the board are insectile abberation plus counterflux.

I dont run a stock whip list, that's suicide.

red13th

All the cards in sets like this and the core sets should have their original set symbols as watermarks.

That would be cool.
My Life from the Loam and Trygon Predator are from MMA and have their guild watermarks, Spellskite should have the Phyrexian watermark too :/

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162086296]6-0 in games against esper dragons this weekend at a 100-man mostly. I spent the whole day previously making the deck beat esper. Den protector, deathmist, full set of thoughtseize main and one of my main finishers having hexproof an fucking with their cruxes is a big deal. Stratus Dancers out of the board are insectile abberation plus counterflux.

I dont run a stock whip list, that's suicide.[/QUOTE]
Have you posted a list?

Angry Grimace

I'm not being mean, its just that God's Beard claims to have broken open Standard every other month.

That's called "anecdotal evidence."

Sure, when other people play the list I configured I'll let you know how their matches go. The point is, I spend a whole day tuning the deck until my testing showed that I have a good matchup, and then the matches at a relatively competitive 2K lined up with my testing.

Have you posted a list?

This is what I took(minus the coast for a mana confluence, a change I'm still debating):

http://abload.de/img/4cdc37js8.png

The main revelation was taking out the Caryatids. I've played the list with and without them, and I've never been happy playing them. You're not a ramp deck even though you play 7-drops, you're not needing the fixing despite playing four colors, and you don't care about the tempo since all you want is attrition. This is a control deck. You stay alive by playing 2-for-1 creatures over and over and over again. You can't afford top decking Sylvans against Esper, and frankly they're not all they're cut out to be against red aggro. You want your blockers to be able to trade or Atarka's command gets too real. Sylvan is also complete garbage against Abzan Aggro.

You only play 5 cards that cost more than 4 mana, so 24 lands is fine. For my finishers, I cut everything that didn't match up against a specific deck. No torrent elementals or Dragonlord Silumgars. Hornet Queen is good against other midrangey decks and abzan aggro. Silumgar ends games versus esper control and atarka red and jeskai tokens. Dragonlord Atarka is absurd against almost everything and puts people to the test immediately.

Haven putting my win conditions back in my hand is also a huge deal. Whipping them away is almost always wrong unless you win that turn.

For my removal, it's important to play as many 1-mana cards as possible. Den Protector loves, loves, loves 1-mana cards. It's hard to lose against Esper Control when you play five Thoughtseize in a game.

The sideboard is almost perfect for my plans against different decks. Sultai Charm is not impressive, but it's so flexible as filler that it's hard to replace it. I've tried swapping them out for a rec sage and an ultimate price and haven't been happy. It's possible I'm still missing options.

Stratus Dancer is God. It's your number one card against both Atarka Red and Esper Control. I'm trying to find space to move one to the mainboard. At that point I probably also find room for the 4th Raptor.

The deck isn't 100% yet, but my confidence levels have jumped remarkably recently.

I'm not being mean, its just that God's Beard claims to have broken open Standard every other month.

If by "claims to have broken" you mean I post my lists constantly, yeah. But I've been losing quite a bit lately and posting my frustrations as well. It's only now that I'm finally feeling like the deck makes sense.

I was super hyped for Abzan Whip back during Khans standard, though. And now I don't even play the "buffed" Hooting Mandrills.

I do have to thank Angry Grimace, though. It clicked when he said that Den protector and Sidisi were "fucking impossible to deal with"

Caryatid was getting cut in a lot of matchups post-board anyway, makes sense to ditch it.

Awkwardly, it makes midrangey matchups a little funkier when sideboarding if you're used to taking out all the caryatids lol

"uhh... one courser, maybe I don't need four cuts if I'm bringing in sultai charms and strokes, uhh..."

edit: if I had to make cuts right now, it'd probably be

Mainboard:
+1 Sratus Dancer
+1 Deathmist Raptor
-2 I don't fucking know

Sideboard:
+1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
-1 Stratus Dancer

bigkrev

Drunk drafting on MTGO is the best.
unless you accidentally f4 through your entire turn.

In my case, it would be drafting, building a deck, and then doing something else and coming back 45 minutes later and seeing I timed out in the first round.

This has happened more than once.

If the other list was debunked, then we could also be seeing the entire Praetor cycle at Mythic.

God, that would be such an awful choice. Like, not saying it definitely didn't happen, but there's no remotely acceptable justification for making people open Urabrasks in this set.

If it follows the same pattern as before, prices will dip slightly then rise back up pretty quickly, probably higher than they were before.

But they won't follow the same pattern, because the shipment of MM2 is at least four times greater than MM1 and the one-time buy-in when people realized WotC was serious about the format already happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom