• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

God, that would be such an awful choice. Like, not saying it definitely didn't happen, but there's no remotely acceptable justification for making people open Urabrasks in this set.
4/4 mythic thundering giant baby

i used urabrask as a edh general. He was awful.

OnPoint

But they won't follow the same pattern, because the shipment of MM2 is at least four times greater than MM1 and the one-time buy-in when people realized WotC was serious about the format already happened.

You think so? I question this because $10 a pack makes me feel like more than we think might be left on store shelves.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Pay 10 bucks for a pack, open Urabrask, quit Magic, go join a monastery.

That card is a BOMB. We're having a sealed MM2 tournament with a couple of friends. I'm excited for it. Hopefully 6 packs gets me my money back (62.50 buy in). Card would be a tad strong in the current meta. Turn 3 Urabrask into everything having haste and your opponent's siege rhino's unable to block for a turn.

You think so? I question this because $10 a pack makes me feel like more than we think might be left on store shelves.

If it hangs out on shelves it means the cards aren't going up in value. If cards go up, people will crack approximately all the packs and introduce more supply.

Basically, I don't think there's anything about this set that could directly lead to price rises, and it'll almost certainly long-term reduce prices for everything from rare down.

y2dvd

I had to do a double take to see if I accidently clicked the Beer-GAF thread lol.

MM15 is working. My interest in Modern have risen.

Urabrask got me multiple SCG T8s. Was so good in Pod.

I wish lived somewhere where they had SCG opens in a reasonable travel time. Norcal is sweet for weekly stuff and PPTQs, but damn. I wanna play a real tournament where people don't bile blight my sidisi at the end of my turn instead of in response to the trigger.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
That card is a BOMB. We're having a sealed MM2 tournament with a couple of friends. I'm excited for it. Hopefully 6 packs gets me my money back (62.50 buy in). Card would be a tad strong in the current meta. Turn 3 Urabrask into everything having haste and your opponent's siege rhino's unable to block for a turn.

You know MM2 isn't Standard legal, right?

Jhriad

I had to do a double take to see if I accidently clicked the Beer-GAF thread lol.

MM15 is working. My interest in Modern have risen.

I went from, "Fuck that expensive ass shit" to building a budget Modern deck that I saw elsewhere. The deck is cheap enough that I've even considered foiling the whole thing for, I dunno, reasons? That's something, I guess. I still have zero interest in spending more than I would on a Standard deck for a format I will almost certainly never play. If they can deflate prices on a lot of the staples considerably I might be willing to put a bit more into a real deck. We'll see how my introduction to Modern goes. Maybe this budget deck will be just barely good enough that I'll be hooked on the format. *shrug*

red13th

after I get married I'm thinking of building a Modern deck because there's a store with Modern FNMs a few blocks from our apartment. probably Burn.

also I'm kinda hoping the leaked MM15 list is bogus (Splinter Twin not being Mythic and all) since I just realised having UB Tezz means no modern-frame Shadowmage Infiltrator. :/

kirblar

after I get married I'm thinking of building a Modern deck because there's a store with Modern FNMs a few blocks from our apartment. probably Burn.

also I'm kinda hoping the leaked MM15 list is bogus (Splinter Twin not being Mythic and all) since I just realised having UB Tezz means no modern-frame Shadowmage Infiltrator. :/
It is bogus. Twin/Spellskite were confirmed at rare.

Also, Shadowmage would be at rare anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I built a UB version of the 5c Dragons deck. Its been very successful in reducing Control mirrors to really long, boring chess matches.

I've been looking around for good R/B Dragons lists for Standard and ran across this (3rd at NY RTPQ). The use of Whip is interesting. What do you guys think?

Creature (14)
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Thunderbreak Regent
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury

Sorcery (5)
3 Thoughtseize
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Crux of Fate

Instant (15)
3 Foul-Tongue Invocation
3 Kolaghan's Command
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Bile Blight
4 Draconic Roar

Artifact (1)
1 Whip of Erebos

Land (25)
3 Bloodfell Caves
2 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Temple of Malice
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
6 Mountain
5 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
1 Thoughtseize
3 Anger of the Gods
1 Crux of Fate
2 Duress
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
1 Virulent Plague
2 Outpost Siege
1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
1 Twin Bolt

Firemind

I meant it it was legal in the current meta. I am aware it's not standard legal, lol.

Also morph rattleclaw mystic turn 3 to play him turn 3, ok!
I mean even if it was standard legal, it still can't punch through siege rhino beyond the first time and it dies to stoke the flames. Plus stormbreath exists.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I mean even if it was standard legal, it still can't punch through siege rhino beyond the first time and it dies to stoke the flames. Plus stormbreath exists.
Yeah, I know. I'd still splash for him in a G/R deck since I have affection for weird haste-y 4-power creatures. Run him next to Stormbreath as one of.

I'm currently running 2x Shaman of the Great Hunt in my G/R deck for this very reason. Since it's aggro-ey midrange, if creatures come down tapped on my oppenent's side, it would let me get in for sufficient damage for lethal crater's claw.

However this is just a pipe dream.

kirblar

I built a UB version of the 5c Dragons deck. Its been very successful in reducing Control mirrors to really long, boring chess matches.
If you're adding black just play Esper Dragons, it's basically the same thing with a better manabase.
Player suspensions following PT DTK are up

Filipe Valdivia (The guy who picked up his Temple and played it as if it was in his hand) got 6 months

Stephen Speck (The guy who was palming Turn 1-2 kill hands of Amulet) got a 3 year ban, which seems wayyyy too low considering how savage his cheat was
They should be lifetiming people like Speck. I'm guessing they don't because of "fear of hurting sales" or some other inane nonsense.

If you're adding black just play Esper Dragons, it's basically the same thing with a better manabase.

They should be lifetiming people like Speck. I'm guessing they don't because of "fear of hurting sales" or some other inane nonsense.

A guy from my LGS got caught cheating at an Open and he got banned from SCG events for three years if I was told correctly.

Guy was a sort of hero among other guys at the LGS, too. I always thought it was weird because I never saw him play when he was there but he always got these kind of crazy results.

kirblar

God's Beard!";162142456]A [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDrTrGpCcR0 said:
guy from my LGS[/URL] got caught cheating at an Open and he got banned from SCG events for three years if I was told correctly.

Guy was a sort of hero among other guys at the LGS, too. I always thought it was weird because I never saw him play when he was there but he always got these kind of crazy results.
They started running their own ban list? THANK F'N GOD.

y2dvd

I went from, "Fuck that expensive ass shit" to building a budget Modern deck that I saw elsewhere. The deck is cheap enough that I've even considered foiling the whole thing for, I dunno, reasons? That's something, I guess. I still have zero interest in spending more than I would on a Standard deck for a format I will almost certainly never play. If they can deflate prices on a lot of the staples considerably I might be willing to put a bit more into a real deck. We'll see how my introduction to Modern goes. Maybe this budget deck will be just barely good enough that I'll be hooked on the format. *shrug*

Yeah I've got to dabble into modern thanks to already having most of my infect deck. It's like a whole new game. I will definitely try to play a different deck if I can get the staples. Let's open a set of Goyfs!

inthrall

Yeah I've got to dabble into modern thanks to already having most of my infect deck. It's like a whole new game. I will definitely try to play a different deck if I can get the staples. Let's open a set of Goyfs!

There is a large amount of modern decks you can build for less cost than a standard deck, and they usually last longer

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

At this point I'm a lot more likely to sell off all my Standard cards and stick to Vintage on MTGO (although in reality I'm very close to just selling all my cards entirely and quitting the game). Standard is awful right now.

red13th

I agree, I can't stand watching Standard. Yesterday or the day before I decided to click on a Reid Duke video, I think he was playing UW, and by turn 20 the only spell cast in the game was a single Anticipate (graveyards were full though since they discarded to hand size).

kirblar

I agree, I can't stand watching Standard. Yesterday or the day before I decided to click on a Reid Duke video, I think he was playing UW, and by turn 20 the only spell cast in the game was a single Anticipate (graveyards were full though since they discarded to hand size).
I don't understand why they've been pushing these U/W decks back towards Draw-Go or "do nothing" instead of the tap-out style we had back in the Zendikar/Alara days.

Joe Molotov

As part of a continuing saga with Green Lake Games I sent them another email a day ago asking if they had any tracking information on the orders they promised were being shipped out the last time I emailed them. The answer to yesterdays enquiry? A form letter that they sent me during the last series of emails.

Look familiar? I'm sure it does since it's probably the same thing they're sending to everyone that sends them a message asking where their order is on Amazon. I wonder if I email them again in a week if they'll send me the same shit a third time.

Re: Green Lakes Games

I filed a complaint with Amazon and left them bad feedback. Flash forward a few days later, and now the cards suddenly arrive, with tracking information that shows they were mailed the day after I filed a complaint and left bad feedback, what a coincidence!

Still not changing my feedback, tho, and they can fight with Amazon over their money because I already took Amazon credit as restitution.

ElyrionX

Foiling a budget deck when you could have put that money towards staples that you can use in a tier one deck is just foolish.

OnPoint

Played my new Kruphix EDH deck for the second time last night. Once the ball gets rolling it's really hard to stop. I'm sure it will eventually be seen as the villain if it continues performing as well as it does. I don't even have anything particularly evil going on in it. It's slow and durdly to start, but God is it ever fun to pilot.

Hightlights: Kruphix + Prophet of Kruphix is the real deal. Prime Speaker Zegana + Deadeye Navigator is a fun time. Mystic Snake + instant speed Clones is great late-game protection. Equilibrium is a house in this deck. Intruder Alarm + Presence of Gond spells game over. I don't even have any tutors in the deck except Archmage Asenscion, though I didn't even use it this time around.

Played my new Kruphix EDH deck for the second time last night. Once the ball gets rolling it's really hard to stop. I'm sure it will eventually be seen as the villain if it continues performing as well as it does. I don't even have anything particularly evil going on in it. It's slow and durdly to start, but God is it ever fun to pilot.

Hightlights: Kruphix + Prophet of Kruphix is the real deal. Prime Speaker Zegana + Deadeye Navigator is a fun time. Mystic Snake + instant speed Clones is great late-game protection. Equilibrium is a house in this deck. Intruder Alarm + Presence of Gond spells game over. I don't even have any tutors in the deck except Archmage Asenscion, though I didn't even use it this time around.

Sounds a lot like my Zegana EDH deck. The trick to people not hating you for playing it is to not always play it. :)

OnPoint

Sounds a lot like my Zegana EDH deck. The trick to people not hating you for playing it is to not always play it. :)

Yeah, I have like 12 or 13 decks I switch between. I have a few that are hatable, so I had to enact that strategy hard. My one friend has a UB Phenax deck and he almost always plays it. Guess who gets the hate?

If you don't want to be seen as the villain, then this is probably the first card you should cut.

OnPoint

If you don't want to be seen as the villain, then this is probably the first card you should cut.

Drawing 6 cards a turn isn't hurting anyone directly, so it didn't catch anyone's eye last night. But if I pair it with the wrong card, yeah, it would make me a huge target. There's so much potential for abuse with that guy.

Either pair him with something that wins the game instantly (Palinchron), or something for mild incremental advantage (Mulldrifter). Pairing him with a Mystic Snake is a great way to make enemies.

OnPoint

Either pair him with something that wins the game instantly (Palinchron), or something for mild incremental advantage (Mulldrifter). Pairing him with a Mystic Snake is a great way to make enemies.

I had him paired with Zegana last night. They make a great couple if you like drawing almost a whole hand every activation. I don't have either Palinchron or Mulldrifter in this deck, as they're currently in my UR Niv Mizzet deck. I think I would only pair it with Mystic Snake if I were going to close the game out that turn and needed to guarantee a lock out. Maybe one of these days I'll pair him up with Thragtusk and make a ton of tokens. I miss that combo in standard (or Thrag+Cloudshift, Thrag+Resto, Thrag+RhoxFaithmender, man I miss Thragtusk).

Jhriad

Foiling a budget deck when you could have put that money towards staples that you can use in a tier one deck is just foolish.

The deck would cost less than $150 fully foiled. I'm not exactly building a tier one deck with that (Am I?) given that I have practically no Modern staples that aren't in the current standard (the last time I played Magic was prior to 7th Edition). I'm not really familiar with the cost of tier one Modern decks but I thought I'd be looking at $500 or somewhere in that range. Maybe I'm just totally misinformed about the cost of a good Modern deck.

OnPoint

The deck would cost less than $150 fully foiled. I'm not exactly building a tier one deck with that (Am I?) given that I have practically no Modern staples that aren't in the current standard (the last time I played Magic was prior to 7th Edition). I'm not really familiar with the cost of tier one Modern decks but I thought I'd be looking at $500 or somewhere in that range. Maybe I'm just totally misinformed about the cost of a good Modern deck.

Depends. Are you playing Tarmogoyf? That's about 600 bucks for a playset alone. If not, the price comes down vastly.

Here's a Splinter Twin list played in the past:

Code:
2 Deceiver Exarch
2 Grim Lavamancer
1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
4 Pestermite
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Vendilion Clique
Creatures [15]
2 Cryptic Command
1 Dispel
2 Izzet Charm