• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

Cost of $950.33 low.

9L9bOKF.gif

ironmang

If you wait it's going to be a lot lower than that. $56 tarns will be $10-15 if they get reprinted. $26 Twins are likely to be $10-12 soon due to MM2015. Serum Visions would plummet if it's common in MM2015. Spellskite will be cheap too. It's actually going to be a very affordable deck which will hopefully mean more people play it and it gets banned faster. :)

OnPoint

I'll ask then, is there a $300 to $400 that is comparable in terms of the possibility of winning?

The decklist isn't exactly up to date, but it's closer to your range.

Code:
4 Blight Mamba
4 Blighted Agent
4 Glistener Elf
4 Ichorclaw Myr
Creatures [16]
2 Dispel
4 Distortion Strike
2 Giant Growth
4 Groundswell
4 Might of Old Krosa
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Vines of Vastwood
Spells [24]
4 Breeding Pool
1 Forest (262)
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Pendelhaven
4 Scalding Tarn

$417.42 low.

bigkrev

I'll ask then, is there a $300 to $400 that is comparable in terms of the possibility of winning?

Here is a Storm deck that has a 580 mid], but you can shave close to 80 dollars off it by by replacing the Misty Rainforests with either Polluted Delta or Flooded Strand (which are all functionally the same in the deck), and if the enemy fetches get reprinted in the Fall, Scalding Tarn will go from a 50 dollar to a 15 dollar (or lower) card. I'd also guess that if Serum Visions would not stay an 8 dollar common if/when it's reprinted in MM2015.

But that's what I'm getting at. There is no reason to have something that is as expensive as a decent gaming computer. However a deck the price of a console is hard to swallow, but much more acceptable. Oh and with the burn deck mentioned before, I do like burn decks :).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Monastery Mentor is kind of good in Vintage.

QJKamrl.jpg

The line of play here: Tap Mox, play Sol Ring, Float mana from Sol Ring, Hurkyl's Recall targetting myself, play Sol Ring with floating mana from Sol Ring, play Mox Jet. (the two attacking Monks got there from Mental Misstep on a Cabal Therapy and a Force of Will on a second Cabal Therapy)

I did something similar in the next game with Snapcaster Mage targetting a Repeal in my GY, use the Repeal to return a Mox Sapphire to hand (with mana from the Mox), play the Mox, then play Mystic Remora, Mental Misstep my own Mystic Remora, Mental Misstep my Mental Misstep, Force of Will the Mystic Remora again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"Serum" is specific to the Mirrodin plane and I'm guessing they didn't want to print "Divine Visions" and let decks in Modern play 8 copies.

That's what they said. I think they don't want people playing Serum Visions. A lot of control players are starting to grumble about Anticipate not being terribly good, but they sure as fuck wouldn't be saying that about a cantrip that sets up their land draws for 2 more turns.

kirblar

"Serum" is specific to the Mirrodin plane and I'm guessing they didn't want to print "Divine Visions" and let decks in Modern play 8 copies.
You can make it work (just like you can make "Cabal" work elsewhere) but I suspect they just simply don't want that style of cantrip around anymore, even at a lower power level.

Blue card draw's been nuts for a while now. Anticipate is just slightly less nuts.

bigkrev

Serum Visions is a bit complicated for a common in Modern Magic. I know that when I was playing the card back when it was first printed, I was playing it as Scry 2, then draw for a couple of weeks till a judge corrected me. It's pretty unique, in that pretty much every other library manipulation/cantrip spell normally has you do the manipulation, then draw a card. The existence of Preordain in M11 instead of a reprint/functional reprint shows that they probably don't want to use Serum Vision's template on newer cards

OnPoint

se·rum
ˈsirəm/
noun
- An amber-colored, protein-rich liquid that separates out when blood coagulates.
- The blood serum of an animal, used especially to provide immunity to a pathogen or toxin by inoculation or as a diagnostic agent.​

They could have made it work. A "serum" isn't by definition limited to Mirrodin. It's probably a mechanical thing like the others suggested, and flavor was a convenient excuse.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162227344]Speaking of cantrips, playing Twin is fucking goddamn mind-numbing.[/QUOTE]

Modern is a shit format; you learned something today. Its broken enough to be annoying, but not broken enough to bring back around to fun. In all honesty, I've kind of come around to the viewpoint that "fuck it, reprint Force of Will."

Angry Grimace

I learned something playing Modern in the practice room, which is that

E39HX7h.png

revealing:

FIjhhbb.jpg

is in fact a thing you can do. That's some next-level (ahem) tech right there.

So:

blogatog said:
su92 asked: Dragons of Tarkir has tons of "can't be blocked except by two or more creatures" in red. Is that something we're going to see more often in the near future?

I’m curious what you all think of the “Goblin War Drums” ability. Is this something you’d like to see more of?

More fuel for the "Goblin War Drums ability replaces Intimidate" fire. Now the question is just what they're gonna call it.

Looking at the Tempest storyboard again, how the hell was anyone supposed to put them in order on their own?

The Starter Deck insert spelled out most of the story, there were Duelist Magazine articles explaining it, etc. People seemed to get it for the most part even if they couldn't necessarily put all the cards in the exact story order.

Plus the connection between mechanics and flavor is really really stretched.

It was pretty advanced for the time!

Angry Grimace

Dropped into Vintage pretty much immediately, no?

Its a lot better than people were giving it credit for there - LSV was concerned it wasn't as good as Pyromancer due to the extra mana cost. He was off because the power of the tokens makes up for it since casting ~4 spells basically "combos off" if you have the Mentor and 1-2 tokens.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162257773]Watching Cheon play Esper Dragons and his opponent's sick tech for the control mirror is Swan Song into Dragonlord Silumgar.

GET BODIED[/QUOTE]
Well, it's almost like a Broodmate Dragon...

Angry Grimace

I just brewed up a silly Jeskai Control deck. Its basically hilarious. (no, it is not good, but yes, it has 4 Circle of Flame in the sideboard =V)

I've just lost 6 straight matches on MtGO because I'm getting landfucked. - _ -

23 lands in an Abzan deck and I'm still drawing 4 straight when I'm desperately needing creatures.

Angry Grimace

I've just lost 6 straight matches on MtGO because I'm getting landfucked. - _ -

23 lands in an Abzan deck and I'm still drawing 4 straight when I'm desperately needing creatures.

I just lost 2 straight matches to 2 landers with only one colored source. I have 27 lands in my deck.

Getting landfucked is part of the game to the point its actually a glaring design-flaw they just can't really fix.

It's so bad, but there's all kinds of sick Swan Song tech in the mirror. Target your own Dragonlord's Prerogative after revealing a dragon, for instance.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162263008]It's so bad, but there's all kinds of sick Swan Song tech in the mirror. Target your own Dragonlord's Prerogative after revealing a dragon, for instance.[/QUOTE]
I must be missing something, but what does this actually accomplish? You get a Wind Drake for one mana out of it.

Angry Grimace

I just feel like every deck in Standard is annoying now. There are only 4 decks and you're unhappy to see any of them.

Newt

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162269899]White is the worst color, they said.

whitepowerk4uku.png
[/QUOTE]
Scaleguard does so much work in draft it's crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom