• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bitterblossom_MM2_ja.jpg

http://mtg-jp.com/reading/special/0014887/#

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/a5/a5136bc4ceb14db47f9cd13dfa759f602056d5560e2d7908c9f7ea266d7ca6e6.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Yay! Now I can probably trade for one!

How is Bitterblossom only two characters in Japanese?

Also, the formatting on that Chandra doesn't seem right. Wouldn't it be, "Whenever Chandra deals damage to an opponent, if she has dealt three or more damage to an opponent, exile etc."? Plus it's weird that the creature art would have her so far away. EDIT: The transform effect is tied to the activated ability, so never mind.

lupin23rd

Also, the formatting on that Chandra doesn't seem right. Wouldn't it be, "Whenever Chandra deals damage to an opponent, if she has dealt three or more damage to an opponent, exile etc."? Plus it's weird that the creature art would have her so far away. EDIT: The transform effect is tied to the activated ability, so never mind.

Literally the kanji for bitter, and the kanji for flower :)

Any chance we see Wasteland or Force of Will in MM?

Much like how bitterblossom is bitter + blossom.

Yeef

Despite the copyright issue, I think that Chandra is probably the real deal. It's interesting enough of the surface, but doesn't scream pushed, which makes me think it's either real or a very well-designed fake. The ultimate also caters to the EDH crowd, which also makes some sense, since this can be used as a Commander.
Any chance we see Wasteland or Force of Will in MM?
0 Chance. Only Modern-legal cards will be in Modern Masters. Neither of those cards are Modern legal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They started with constructed cards then built a limited set around them and the space that was left.

Given the timeline they had to work with (8th to New Phyrexia), I'd be surprised if there were many 'playable' rares that aren't included in the set. If you look at the rares that see play in Modern most of them are lands that have recently been reprinted or will soon be reprinted. Excluding those we have:

MYTHICS
  • Tarmogoyf (confirmed in)
  • Vendilion Clique (confirmed in)
  • Dark Confidant (virtually confirmed)
  • Kozilek (confirmed)
  • Karn (confirmed)
  • Wurmcoil Engine (status pending; was just in Commander)
  • Mox Opal (confirmed in)
  • Primeval Titan (confirmed in)
  • Batterskull (status pending)
  • Elesh Norn (status pending, probably in)
  • Vedalken Shackles (was in the last one)
  • Emrakul (confirmed in)
  • Kiki-Jiki (was in the last one)
  • Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas (sort of confirmed)

RARES
  • Thoughseize (recently reprinted)
  • Cryptic Command (confirmed in)
  • Profane Command (confirmed in)
  • Mirran Crusader (confirmed in)
  • Endrek (confirmed in)
  • Swans of Bryn Argoll (confirmed in)
  • Scavenging Ooze? (not sure if thise counts; it was printed in commander the same year as New Phyrexia, but not in standard, and therefore modern, until a few years later).
  • Splinter Twin (confirmed in)
  • Grim Lavamancer? (Same deal as Scavenging Ooze)
  • Inkmoth Nexus (status pending)
  • Noble Hierarch (confirmed in)
  • Maelstrom Pulse (probably in, since it was in the last one)
  • Goblin Guide (status pending, probably in)
  • Slaughter Pact (was in the last one)
  • Spellskite (confirmed in)
  • Blinkmoth Nexus (was in the last one)
  • Arcbound Ravager (was in the last one)
  • Manlands (status pending)
  • Master of Etherium (status pending)
  • Steel Overseer? (M11 is technically after New Phyrexia)
  • Pact of Negation (was in the last one)
  • Etched Champion (confirmed in)
  • Summoner's Pact (was in the last one)
  • Birds of Paradise (status pending, though I'd imagine not with Noble Hierarch in)
  • Hivemind (status pending; I'd be surprised if this were in)
  • Azusa, Lost but Seeking (status pending, but expected since it's also a commander card)
  • Aether Vial (was in the last one at rare)
  • Mutavault (recently reprinted)
  • Blood Moon (was in the last one)
  • Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle (probably in)
  • Oblivion Stone (status pending)
  • Scapeshift (status pending, probably in if Valakut is)
  • Bloodghast (probably in)
  • Engineered Explosives (was in the last one)
  • Pyromancer Ascension (status pending)
  • Life from the Loam (was in the last one)
  • Knight of the Reliquary (was in the last one)
  • Fulminator Mage (status pending)
  • Damnation (status pending)
  • Golgari Grave-Troll? (was unbanned after this set was developed, I think)
  • Ad Nauseam (status pending)
  • Living End (status pending)
  • Daybreak Coronet (confirmed in)
  • Kor Spiritdancer (pending, probably in)
  • Bitterblossom (pending)
  • Mistbind Clique (pending)
  • Melira (pending)

If all of the listed cards were to be in the set, that would still leave 2 slots for rares and 1 for mythic. Some of those cards aren't likely to be reprinted for various reasons (including recent reprints, low price point, fringe playability and being past the cutoff date). There's also plenty of land cycles that deserve a reprint, which I think would be worth knocking out some fringe/low-cost playables.

I'm guessing, must like the first set, about 40% of the rares will be unplayable in constructed, but still great in limited.

I'd like to see Leyline of Sanctity stop being 30 bucks, too.

Crocodile

Bitterblossom at mythic is kind of lame. Real glad I got rid of some of the Modern cards I wasn't using a while back though :)

Nice try Crocodile. They locked your thread on MTGS. I'm surprised you didn't know MTGS is awful (they locked your thread without any real reason and left up those obviously fucking fake spoilers up for weeks).

*Shrug* No skin off my back

MTGS is dead since the forum move.

edit: See the red name below.

Cube Forums are still good - that's the only part of the site that I actively read or post in.

I mean, isn't the copyright thing a dead giveaway?

It was way too small/blurry for me to see at a first glance but then again that's why I asked others :p

The fact that some of the art is brand new (as far as we know) is part of the reason I didn't dismiss it immediately and is still something on my mind as we haven't found a source yet.

Faeries in Lorwyn block was a fun tribal-based archetype. What made it annoying in MM1 was Oona at rare (Oona was from Shadowmoor so you couldn't draft her with faeries from Lorwyn) and Bonesplitters at common. Suddenly those faeries can turn into 3/1 or 5/1 and hit like trucks. Aether Vial only made it worse. Now you could cheat tons of mana and worse is it fits in every deck because every deck has creatures. Yeah, it was now valued at rare, but it wasn't uncommon to see it in sealed pools in big events. Did I mention Bonesplitter at common? Which brings me to

By my count, there are 32 artifacts and 11 of them have coloured mana somewhere on the card. No, Sunburst doesn't count. My belief is that artifacts that work well together with other artifacts are extremely toxic to the game. That extends to both constructed and limited. Artifacts should be just what it says on the tin: artifacts. Tools or objects of (human) conception. Having artifacts in a set is fine, but artifacts should never be the main focus of a deck that doesn't really have to strain its mana base. Shards of Alara block fixed this issue by adding mana restrictions, so they worked like any other card only it has an additional type. What they did with MM1 is they added Frogmites, Myr Enforcers and Court Homunculuses nobody wanted except the mono brown player and made them fucking bonkers together. Sure, mono brown favoured U/W, but there were games that played out in a fashion where the mono brown player just vomitted his or her hand into play and wrecked people with powered up robots thanks to Bonesplitters. Affinity is the single dumbest keyword in the history of the game. At least Storm changed the game in an exciting way.

A) Oona wasn't a "Fae card" she was just a "dragon" in Blue or Black that went into ANY deck with one of those two colors. So I'll agree the card is obnoxious but in the same way any large dragon in limited in any set is obnoxious. Aether Vial is an actively mediocre card in limited since its much harder to control your curve. If an opponent beat you with it one time then whatever but over the long run they will wish that card was something else. Rares have no influence in how strong a particular draft archetype is because they show up too rarely to make a difference. As such I have no idea why those particular rares are part of your analysis of the MM1 format.

Bonesplitter was definitely a great card and pairs well with evasion but it, even in the Faerie deck, was very beatable. Sorry you never drew your removal or blockers?

B) Well Sunburst clearly counts because it demands you play as many different colors of mana as possible :p Anyway, the rest just reads like some weird rant about how a UW affinity draft deck had some god draw against you or you still have nightmares about Ravager Affinity in Standard. WOTC admits they botched the development of that entire block but the Artifact decks of Scars of Mirrodin block were fine and Modern Affinity decks don't even play any cards with Affinity in them. Also, the U/W Affinity draft archetype in MM1 was balanced with respect to the other draft archetypes in the format. People like artifact decks and WOTC has shown they can balance the archetype in Constructed and Limited after fucking up big that one time. They aren't going anywhere.

The fact that some of the art is brand new (as far as we know) is part of the reason I didn't dismiss it immediately and is still something on my mind as we haven't found a source yet.

Any idea where it actually came from? The reddit post is pretty vague about it, which is obviously sketch.

Recall

Trying to sell 3 Future Sight Tarmogoyfs and 1 Lorwyn Foil Thoughtseize here in the UK just seemingly isn't working. I've had interest but no one wants to pay anything near their current prices, hell I'm even open to offers and totally flexible in those offers yet all I get is super low ball offers.

raiot

Just a question in case the chandra is real:

She can flip with combat damage or do I forget anything? It just says: If chandra has dealt 3 or more damage this turn. So that means damage as blocker or attacker...

ElyrionX

Trying to sell 3 Future Sight Tarmogoyfs and 1 Lorwyn Foil Thoughtseize here in the UK just seemingly isn't working. I've had interest but no one wants to pay anything near their current prices, hell I'm even open to offers and totally flexible in those offers yet all I get is super low ball offers.

Goyfs are being reprinted in the Modern Masters set this June. No one is going to pay $200 for them now.

As for Thoughtseize, that is still Standard legal and will likely see a price drop when rotation happens in Q3 so once again, there is likely very little appetite to pay a huge premium for that.

Recall

Goyfs are being reprinted in the Modern Masters set this June. No one is going to pay $200 for them now.

As for Thoughtseize, that is still Standard legal and will likely see a price drop when rotation happens in Q3 so once again, there is likely very little appetite to pay a huge premium for that.

I haven't played in years and It's no longer a hobby that interests me so things like this I did not know. Cheers for sharing.

Just a question in case the chandra is real:

She can flip with combat damage or do I forget anything? It just says: If chandra has dealt 3 or more damage this turn. So that means damage as blocker or attacker...

Any type of damage counts, but you have to play the tap ability to actually trigger the flip.

red13th

They kept the Guay art for Bitterblossom! Being Mythic sucks but gotta see the good side I guess.

Cube Forums are still good - that's the only part of the site that I actively read or post in.

Yeah I recently reactivated my account just to post on the Cube forums, it's the only place I found with decently active cube discussion.

As said before, right now is a terrible time to unload those cards. :/

f0rk

How much are you asking/expecting?

Firemind

Man, some of these CFB writers are really phoning it in. Do's and don'ts when playing control. Do: Play well and practice the mirror. Don't: Lose the first game or you will have trouble winning the match. Gee, thanks, Reid Duke!

Then you have these Travis Woo articles that nobody understands but himself.

The p1p1 articles from William Jensen are also amazingly relevatory. Answer:
pick the bomb. if no bomb, pick the removal spell.

Man, some of these CFB writers are really phoning it in. Do's and don'ts when playing control. Do: Play well and practice the mirror. Don't: Lose the first game or you will have trouble winning the match. Gee, thanks, Reid Duke!

Then you have these Travis Woo articles that nobody understands but himself.

The p1p1 articles from William Jensen are also amazingly relevatory. Answer:
pick the bomb. if no bomb, pick the removal spell.

Reid Duke's mothership articles have actually been very good, but I agree that the CFB articles aren't super great. The best series they have right now is LSV's "What's the Play," although amusingly I've chosen LSV's answer in both of them so far, and I don't even play Standard...

0048_mtgmm2_en_hrr.png

Cool beans.

Maybe this can stop being a $30 card online now (this printing is solely for MTGO purposes; nobody plays this in Modern).

Recall

How much are you asking/expecting?

That's the hard part I don't know if I'm asking too much. Looking about online and asking here it feels for those 4 cards (3 tarmogoyf and 1 foil thoughtseize) should be a few hundred pounds easily. £400-500 is what I get if I check various places but that sounds very top end and something no one would pay so I feel at a loss at what even to suggest.

ElyrionX

That's the hard part I don't know if I'm asking too much. Looking about online and asking here it feels for those 4 cards (3 tarmogoyf and 1 foil thoughtseize) should be a few hundred pounds easily. £400-500 is what I get if I check various places but that sounds very top end and something no one would pay so I feel at a loss at what even to suggest.

I think at this stage you will be lucky to even get $150 for each goyf. It will probably drop to sub-$100 once June rolls around.

Matriox

Makes sense. Did a quick deck search, it sees small play as a sideboard against affinity but not a whole lot. Regardless, the card has an obnoxious foil price from older sets, maybe this will help and that crazy MODO price.

Arksy

So, what decks can I get the bones for with what we know so far in MM15, it seems like there's a fair few cards for an affinity artefacts deck..what else?

Jaeyden

You need to look at MKM

That's where most people are going to gauge prices over here.

You can get NM futuresight Tarmo's from there for 100ish Euro's. If you want to move yours you'll need to beat that, £75 roughly. Foil Lorwyn Thoughtseize is around 120 euro, £90 roughly. Use that info as you will.

Recall

You need to look at MKM

That's where most people are going to gauge prices over here.

You can get NM futuresight Tarmo's from there for 100ish Euro's. If you want to move yours you'll need to beat that, £75 roughly. Foil Lorwyn Thoughtseize is around 120 euro, £90 roughly. Use that info as you will.

Thanks very much.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162762199]Daybreak is like the only expensive non-land card in bogles.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't this mean now is the time to buy the cheap pieces?

Nobody complains about MM2015 and now on my LGS' facebook people are complaining about the $16 PPTQ being too cheap. Like literally asking the owner to raise the cost of entry.

What the fuck.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162762766]The other non-land cards cost a dollar or less...[/QUOTE]

I should really buy in on Boggles, then. It seems fun to play.

That might be my next objective after my Cheerios deck is finished. Just need those Moxes.

I should really buy in on Boggles, then. It seems fun to play.

That might be my next objective after my Cheerios deck is finished. Just need those Moxes.

It is, but the GBx matchups are close to unwinninable and you'll scoop pretty hard to sideboard cards in general unless you go crazy like I did with extra colors.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162763810]It is, but the GBx matchups are close to unwinninable and you'll scoop pretty hard to sideboard cards in general unless you go crazy like I did with extra colors.[/QUOTE]

Ah. Well that's disappointing to hear. You think there will be a point where it stops being relevant so people won't be prepared for it? Or is GBx just naturally good against it?

Ah. Well that's disappointing to hear. You think there will be a point where it stops being relevant so people won't be prepared for it? Or is GBx just naturally good against it?

Inquisition/Thoughtseize + Abrupt Decay + Liliana is like preboarding 10+ cards to beat you. You're a deck whose entire goal is is predicated upon your opponents not being able to interact, and their whole removal suite interacts with you. And then it gets worse post-board unless your opening hand has Leyline of Sanctity.

The percentage of games you'll win when you get Inquisitioned on the draw is in the single digits.

Bogles is a meta deck. When other decks are hating out the GBx decks(like Treasure Cruise Delver), Bogles is the nuts and you can build it to get a ton of free wins.

The problem with waiting for people to not be prepared is that the sideboard cards that beat you are just generally good sideboard cards that literally any deck can play, like Engineered Explosives and Spellskite. I built my entire deck just to beat these neutral sideboard cards. There's nothing reasonable you can do to shore up GBx, and as long as you're expecting to play against it more than once per tournament Bogles is unplayable.

Recall

This selling process is fun.

"PM me a price on the Thoughtseize"
I do so
"That's too high"
I respond "What would be a better price for you? I'm open to offers"
Never hear anything again.

bigkrev

I guess reprinting Iona means Linvala isn't in the set, which would have been rough had pod not been banned (it was creeping towards $60 before the ban). I guess they moved All is Dust down a rarity to make it one of the payoff rares for the Metalcraft deck. And finally, the Hurkyl's Recall reprint will make it so you don't have to spend 10 dollars on a black-boardered copy of the card. Good picks all around

OnPoint

I guess reprinting Iona means Linvala isn't in the set, which would have been rough had pod not been banned (it was creeping towards $60 before the ban). I guess they moved All is Dust down a rarity to make it one of the payoff rares for the Metalcraft deck. And finally, the Hurkyl's Recall reprint will make it so you don't have to spend 10 dollars on a black-boardered copy of the card. Good picks all around
Does this put Linvala in FTV then?

bigkrev

This selling process is fun.

"PM me a price on the Thoughtseize"
I do so
"That's too high"
I respond "What would be a better price for you? I'm open to offers"
Never hear anything again.

If you aren't in a rush to sell, waiting a year will make it easier to move the cards. Tarmogoyf will drop when MM2015 comes out, but it will rebound to an even higher number a year from now when MM is a memory, unless they are making way more of the set than we think they are.

The Foil Thoughtsieze is something that will hold value forever as a Vintage/Legacy staple if nothing else, and those are formats where people will invest money into foils or other pimp cards. But, because it has a cheaper alternative to the general public (the non-foil Theros version), it's going to be something that won't be easy to move.

If you were willing to take time to trade, I'd probably try to trade it for something far more liquid, like a Volcanic Island or Underground Sea. Those are cards easier to sell, and even in the worst case scenereo where you just buylist it, you will get more money.

All is Dust at Rare = they ran out of room at Mythic.

I'm expecting them to also run out of room at rare. I'm curious to see what gets downshifted to uncommon this time around. Last time we saw kind of a motley crew of downshifts: Auntie's Snitch, Epochrasite, Feudkiller's Verdict, Mad Auntie, Masked Admirers, Pardic Dragon, Reach of Branches, Take Possession, and Worm Harvest. This wasn't anything particularly important from the perspective of the Modern format - it was just a way to plug gaps in the limited format. I'm interested to see what happens this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom