• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heartbreak when you suddenly realize that you only gained one mana with Pyrotechnics :-(

needmorevaluew5u88.png

Pyrotechnics is nothing if not consistent, I suppose.

needmorevalueweuvc.png

I thought my deck was pretty high on the power scale, but I couldn't make it. 2-2 is pretty below my expectations.

sealeddaily8jj55.png

Won rounds 1 and 2, and I think I could have won match three if I played less safe. I had lethal with Sarkhan's rage but couldn't keep myself above 2 or keep my dragon alive. I probably could have won if I flattened my own attendant to get my dragon back. Wound up going to 4 games and I started playing too quickly because I was lagging out and losing on the clock because of it.

Round four was a blowout with a mull to five game one followed by missing my 4th land game two with all my best removal in hand. What can you do.

I don't think people are aware that LSV just works there as opposed to owning it. Being totally serious.

Yeah, there's pretty clearly a lot of people who don't understand how the whole thing works. I'd like to think that if LSV was the overlord and master of CFB that their retail store would be less of a puckered shithole.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That's basically the full story so far. Amy Weber reported the paintings stolen last week; now CFB have them, and they apparently aren't willing to return them.

Well, according to everything so far, she just told them yesterday. This is definitely a legal matter, so it is bound to take more than a Twitter DM to get them back. I see why she's upset, but even she must realize things take time. Did she really expect them to just take her word for it and immediately overnight the work back? Her actions say yes. Not really how these things work.

I see why she's upset, but even she must realize things take time. Did she really expect them to just take her word for it and immediately overnight the work back?

I think you'd generally expect "Oh, we didn't know. Let us verify this, but once it checks out of course we'll return this stolen property." It basically sounds like they told her to piss off.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So if they bought the art and didn't know it was stolen at the time it is legally theirs now unless California has some crazy weird property laws.

Um, no, that's not true anywhere, actually. That just makes them not guilty of receiving stolen property.

One cannot transfer good title to property they didn't have good title in to begin with.

WanderingWind

I think you'd generally expect "Oh, we didn't know. Let us verify this, but once it checks out of course we'll return this stolen property." It basically sounds like they told her to piss off.

I haven't seen anything like that. And I'm pretty sure that should not be the response. More like, "We'll look into this and get back to you." Which may sound a lot like "piss off" to an angry person. But it's not. It's simply CYA in what could be a wholly legal matter.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I haven't seen anything like that. And I'm pretty sure that should not be the response. More like, "We'll look into this and get back to you." Which may sound a lot like "piss off" to an angry person. But it's not. It's simply CYA in what could be a wholly legal matter.

ding ding ding

Angry Grimace

I legitimately don't understand what grounds WOTC has to not just ban Tarmogoyf instead of just reprinting it at a rate that keeps it expensive. Its an unfair card, period, full-stop. The percentage of the time its not just an OP beater is so low as to be not even really worth discussion.

The fact its so expensive that only people with no regard for their finances and/or excessive disposable income is doesn't help. Its not like I can be like, "well if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Because I don't have $800 lying around.

I mean, even then the most generous interpretation here is that CFB are worried primarily about their own ass, leading the artist to (rightfully) get pissed off and (rightfully) rake them over the coals in public. It really should not be difficult to resolve a situation like this without prompting a nuclear response if you're acting in good faith.

Of course, in the reddit thread, Noah Bradley (an artist who, unlike Weber, is still working on MTG today) strongly implies that she's actually been trying to talk to them about it for weeks, and that taking it public is the end result of getting fed up with them.

I legitimately don't understand what grounds WOTC has to not just ban Tarmogoyf instead of just reprinting it at a rate that keeps it expensive.

They missed their chance at the dawn of the format and now they're stuck with it since destroying a thousand bucks of value for people is gonna produce some grumblin'.

ElyrionX

I legitimately don't understand what grounds WOTC has to not just ban Tarmogoyf instead of just reprinting it at a rate that keeps it expensive. Its an unfair card, period, full-stop. The percentage of the time its not just an OP beater is so low as to be not even really worth discussion.

The fact its so expensive that only people with no regard for their finances and/or excessive disposable income is doesn't help. Its not like I can be like, "well if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Because I don't have $800 lying around.

It's the same reason why their digital strategy is so poor and why the Reserved List is still around; management is utterly incompetent and is deathly afraid of killing the golden goose.

WanderingWind

I mean, even then the most generous interpretation here is that CFB are worried primarily about their own ass, leading the artist to (rightfully) get pissed off and (rightfully) rake them over the coals in public. It really should not be difficult to resolve a situation like this without prompting a nuclear response if you're acting in good faith.

Of course, in the reddit thread, Noah Bradley (an artist who, unlike Weber, is still working on MTG today) strongly implies that she's actually been trying to talk to them about it for weeks, and that taking it public is the end result of getting fed up with them.

If that ends up being true, then sure. But the actual facts are sparse, so I'll wait to drag the pitchfork out of storage.

Of course CFB is primarily worried about their asses. Theft is a legal matter. You better also be worried about your own ass if you ever get embroiled in a legal matter like that. All the goodwill and nice intentions don't mean shit. They say "Oh, we didn't know, sorry" then they're probably screwed if she decides to take legal action. They couldn't just automatically take her word for it, either.

Unless it comes out that they're flatly ignoring her, or just told her to fuck off, then I don't see a single thing whatsoever to get mad about. Yet.

If that ends up being true, then sure. But the actual facts are sparse, so I'll wait to drag the pitchfork out of storage.

Of course CFB is primarily worried about their asses. Theft is a legal matter. You better also be worried about your own ass if you ever get embroiled in a legal matter like that. All the goodwill and nice intentions don't mean shit. They say "Oh, we didn't know, sorry" then they're probably screwed if she decides to take legal action. They couldn't just automatically take her word for it, either.

Unless it comes out that they're flatly ignoring her, or just told her to fuck off, then I don't see a single thing whatsoever to get mad about. Yet.

In case you haven't heard, we don't have time for nuance and deliberation on the internet. We summarily judge people's worth as human beings based on hearsay around here, and we throw our efforts at ruining their lives when they do something we deem unacceptable. If you so much as utter LSV's name without heaping vitriol on him, you're clearly perpetuating theft culture. In your position of privilege maybe you can "afford it" when someone steals from you, but those artists are having their souls taken from them, you selfish ass.

/s, in case it wasn't obvious. The reaction to this has generally been quite reasonable so far.

Firemind

Not STRICTLY better, since it doesn't go in a modern frame cube!
Ok missing Gemstone Mine, don't let me down today Wizards.
Well if you wanted a modern black border, there's Russian 9th edition.

But yeah, Rob Alexander's version is pretty sweet looking.

red13th

I avoid non-English, non-Portuguese cards if I can, in fact soon the only Portuguese card will be Jitte but only because it has sentimental value - the time I spent hunting Rat's Nest precons...

What we're really learning from this set is that Red is OCD about making his card borders match.

I am and I'm unrepentant about it. White bordered are usable unlike old frames or foils because otherwise I'd have no Bribery, Plow Under or Wildfire, but I'll take black borders whenever I can. Just look at the red section of my cube:

Wildfire stands out way too much. But it won't anymore! Woo hoo.

Firemind

I know what you mean. I can't stand whiteborded cards, which is why I avoid EDH decks with three or more colours. One blackborded OG dual would already crush my wallet, but three, on top of blackborded Sol Ring etc.? Oh, and if I see you play a five colour EDH deck? You have a giant target on your head, my friend. It's always a hoot to bully excessively greedy people.

I like playing two-color EDH decks with Cheapo Depot manabases. I'm assembling a Grenzo, Dungeon Warden deck right now, with all-stars like Tresserhorn Sinks and Urborg Volcano.

EDH is where my Johnny comes out, not my Spike - clearly.

ultron87

Horde of Notions still uses "play" instead of "cast"?

I think it is like that since it doesn't specify a type of card, only a subtype. So it isn't impossible to have the ability apply to a land (even if there are no cards that currently make lands in your graveyard into Elementals).

Edit: Actually you totally can. Ashes of the Fallen naming Elemental makes any Dryad Arbors in your Graveyard into Elementals.

So I 9th in GPQ last night for Vegas. :\

Was playing jeskai tokens and my best (worst) play was casting secure the wastes for x=1 (so a 2CMC instant spell for 1 soldier token lol) to trigger ascendancy and seeker prowess to 3-1 his attacking creatures. Felt very bad.

3rd match I cast ascendancy and my opponent says "what does that card do"
me ----> U________U
(im sorry)
(not really)

So I 9th in GPQ last night for Vegas. :\

Was playing jeskai tokens and my best (worst) play was casting secure the wastes for x=1 (so a 2CMC instant spell for 1 soldier token lol) to trigger ascendancy and seeker prowess to 3-1 his attacking creatures. Felt very bad.

3rd match I cast ascendancy and my opponent says "what does that card do"
me ----> U________U
(im sorry)
(not really)

9th(on tiebreakers) and 2nd place at these different qualifiers are the worst feeling.

Also, how bad is your Abzan Aggro matchup? Rhino and Dromoka's command just seem like total feel bads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom