• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Sorry if this is kinda off base:

Is this game still really popular? I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of cards from when it first came out...Do you think I can get much for them?

The game is magnitiudes more popular now than it was in the 90s.

If your cards are from 1993 they are worth money, they might be worth money if from 1994, and likely worthless if from 95-97.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The game is magnitiudes more popular now than it was in the 90s.

If your cards are from 1993 they are worth money, they might be worth money if from 1994, and likely worthless if from 95-97.

There's a few cards in Mirage and Visions that are worth at least some money, e.g. Lion's Eye Diamond, Vampiric Tutor, etc. I think Tempest came out in 1997 too, which has Wasteland.

Is this game still really popular? I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of cards from when it first came out...Do you think I can get much for them?

Extremely. The best way to answer the question is to tell us what sets they are. If you don't remember what the names of the sets are, you'd need to tell us the expansion symbol for us to say what cards you'd need to look for.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Don't forget Wastelands!

Must have been 13th-15th pick back in the day haha.

Edit: darn stealth edit

There are actually lots of cards worth a lot from 1995-1997. They just don't happen to be in Fourth Edition, Fifth Edition, Ice Age or Homelands. Alliances has Force of Will, Mirage has Lion's Eye Diamond, Visions has the tutor cycle, Tempest has Wastelands, etc.

Even in Limited Edition, though, its not like every card is just worth a lot. Cards don't have a ton of "collector value," they have play-ability value, unless they happen to be Power Nine cards.

kirblar

Game's had 400-500% growth over the past 5-6 years. :) You should definitely look up the cards you have.

Firemind

Wasteland is an uncommon though, so the odds of having it is a bit higher. It's also worth a lot more than most rares. Force of Will is an Uncommon 5. I remember I bought like twenty Alliances packs one time and only got one in my very first pack. :lol

OnPoint

Wasteland is an uncommon though, so the odds of having it is a bit higher. It's also worth a lot more than most rares. Force of Will is an Uncommon 5. I remember I bought like twenty Alliances packs one time and only got one in my very first pack. :lol

Yeah, I opened a ton of Alliances and only had one ever way back when. I know I had more Wastelands but who knows what I did with those back then

bigkrev

Because I was curious, I looked up on Channel Fireball from Ice Age- Urza's Destiny to see how many cards per set were worth at least a dollar

Ice Age- 18 (Necropotence is 8 dollars, nothing else worth more than 4)
Homelands-6 (Digeridoo is highest at 3 whole dollars, lol)
Alliances-12 (100 dollar Force of Will overshadows pretty much everything else)

Mirage-18
Visions-19
Weatherlight-18

Tempest- 43
Stronghold- 21
Exodus- 21

Urza's Saga- 61
Urza's Legacy- 21
Urza's Destiny- 26

ElyrionX, here's my general sideboarding plan for Esper control, which might help you out:

Mono-Black Devotion/Black-White Midrange:
-2 Last Breath
-2 Supreme Verdict
-2 Elspeth
-1 Jace, Architect of Thought
+2 AEtherspouts
+4 Blood Baron of Viskopa
+1 Pithing Needle

Mono-Blue Devotion:
-3 Thoughtseize
-2 Syncopate
-1 AEtherling
-1 Dissolve
+2 AEtherspouts
+1 Gainsay
+4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
(on the draw, -1 Temple of Silence, +1 Pithing Needle)

General Aggro:
-1 AEtherling
-2 Elspeth
-2 Dissolve
-2 Syncopate
-3 Thoughtseize
+4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
+2 AEtherspouts
(+counters and -sweepers against burn)
(on the draw, -1 Temple of Silence for +1 Pithing Needle)

Jund Monsters/Superfriends:
-2 Last Breath
+2 Negate
+1 Pithing Needle

Control:
-3 Supreme Verdict
-1 AEtherspouts
-2 Ultimate Price
-2 Last Breath
-1 Detention Sphere
+1 Gainsay
+2 Negate
+1 Dispel
+1 Pithing Needle

bigkrev

Oh, and for the love of god, remember that naming "Underworld Connections" with a Pithing Needle doesn't do anything. You need to name the land it's enchanting!

An-Det

I completely spaced that SCG was doing this GP. I may just have to go now.

rewards.png

Eklipsis

Extremely. The best way to answer the question is to tell us what sets they are. If you don't remember what the names of the sets are, you'd need to tell us the expansion symbol for us to say what cards you'd need to look for.

Oh..OK thanks guys I'll look tonight when I get home from work...heck I may even try to get back in to playing them again

Firemind

Just had a board state that consisted of nothing but lands and a mutavault, versus a Caryatid, Courser, Xenagos, two of his minions, Chandra and Vraska, with him at 17 life.

I managed to won that game.

ALL HAIL MASTER RABBLE.

I played a jund list almost exactly like that 2 weeks ago. It did fine against control and even beat out a constellation deck. It was murdered by any aggro deck (monoU, red, or GW) and torn apart by mono black variants.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124097699]I've had Garruk underperform and Nissa overperform. Also, you seem closer to monsters than superfriends. If you really want to play Garruk, you need 4 Coursers. I want to say that you should cut the Polukas for Thoughtseize, but the deck does lose pretty bad to aggro.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the feedback! So far, I've only been able to test against Naya auras, where it's performed inconsistently, but I've noticed that the deck is surprisingly vulnerable early game. I guess I'll try dropping the monsters for some more removal spells.

What is the general opinion of Soul of Shandalar? I may try that out as a finisher.

Thanks for the feedback! So far, I've only been able to test against Naya auras, where it's performed inconsistently, but I've noticed that the deck is surprisingly vulnerable early game. I guess I'll try dropping the monsters for some more removal spells.

What is the general opinion of Soul of Shandalar? I may try that out as a finisher.

All souls have a target on their back right now. No one has been able to keep a soul on board long enough to gauge their impact in my local meta. But Theros and Shandalar are the only ones I've seen on board.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124112741]ElyrionX, here's my general sideboarding plan for Esper control, which might help you out:

Mono-Black Devotion/Black-White Midrange:
-2 Last Breath
-2 Supreme Verdict
-2 Elspeth
+2 AEtherspouts
+1 Pithing Needle

Mono-Blue Devotion:
-3 Thoughtseize
-2 Syncopate
-1 AEtherling
-1 Dissolve
+2 AEtherspouts
+1 Gainsay
+4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
(on the draw, -1 Temple of Silence, +1 Pithing Needle)

General Aggro:
-1 AEtherling
-2 Elspeth
-2 Dissolve
-2 Syncopate
-3 Thoughtseize
+4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
+2 AEtherspouts
(+counters and -sweepers against burn)
(on the draw, -1 Temple of Silence for +1 Pithing Needle)

Jund Monsters/Superfriends:
-2 Last Breath
+2 Negate
+1 Pithing Needle

Control:
-3 Supreme Verdict
-1 AEtherspouts
-2 Ultimate Price
-2 Last Breath
-1 Detention Sphere
+1 Gainsay
+2 Negate
+1 Dispel
+1 Pithing Needle[/QUOTE]

Thanks GB. What is the rationale for siding out Thoughtseize against Mono U? And I'm not sure I agree with the Aetherspouts choice too. I'd run Planar Cleansing if I wanted a second Wrath.

Thanks GB. What is the rationale for siding out Thoughtseize against Mono U?
Dead late, you lose similar damage to the creature you take would have dealt and they don't have a ton of interactive spells anyway so you don't need to worry about many answers to your threats outside 2-3 counters. Pretty much the only card I would take from Mono-U is Thassa, and that's not enough targets.

And I'm not sure I agree with the Aetherspouts choice too. I'd run Planar Cleansing if I wanted a second Wrath.

AEtherspouts beats ajani's presence, boros charm and golgari charm, the only relevant counters to sweepers being played. On top of that, it's a one-sided wrath that keeps your creatures in play which is relevant because the difference between UW and Esper is you have better creatures in your sideboard.

I can never, ever run Planar Cleansing in my deck. The closest would be 1-2 Fated Retribution in the board but I played a lot with that card and lost a bunch of games at higher-stakes tournaments because of how slow it is. I've also tried playing the deck with a 2 Quicken/2 Thoughtseize split and it just never panned out.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124177661]If you win Game Day with my deck I'll promote you to green belt.[/QUOTE]

Lol thanks but I am actually planning to pilot UW control for M15 Game Day. If I do win with that, what do I get?

Man, playing against myself with my Esper deck vs the decks I registered into Tappedout is kinda fun.

I still haven't figured out how to play with people on Cockatrice lol

Angry Grimace

I wonder why Maro said Mishra's Factory is a 9 out of 10 on the Storm scale, but Mutavault is totally cool.

Eklipsis

If typing it up is too much then just take a picture

what should i take a picture of? I have enough that I can take a picture of all of them. Did someone say there was a design difference between sets? The cards range from 94-97 dates on the bottom of the cards, and some have black borders and others have white.

Firemind

Take a picture of everything and make sure the card name is visible. You can put them in vertical rows or whatever saves you the most time.

edit: Whiteboarded cards with ©1995/1997 Wizards of the Coast etc. at the bottom are worthless.

Eklipsis

Take a picture of everything and make sure the card name is visible. You can put them in vertical rows or whatever saves you the most time.

edit: Whiteboarded cards with ©1995/1997 Wizards of the Coast etc. at the bottom are worthless.

ok what about white borders without a date just an illustrators name

Eklipsis

Ok so I just grab a few at random to show various styles/dates...my camera is being stupid so terrible pic incoming

IMG_5607_zps6bcd9d87.jpg

IMG_5605_zpsf56fdd74.jpg

bigkrev

That Pox that is in the bottom picture is worth a few bucks, but for the most part, unfortunatly, your stuff is all from the era where they are worthless. I do see you have some Reviesd Edition (white border with only a single copyright line) and The Dark (Crescent Moon expansion symbol), which if you want to pull those out, some of them might be worth money. If you have any special lands from Revised edition, you might be looking at some real money.

Dark Rituals are a dollar a pop, and Pox is like 6 bucks. The rest of them are all under a dollar each.

Those are the prices that stores sell them for, so if you wanted to sell them yourself then you'd get maybe half their listed value.

Eklipsis

Yeah that's kinda what I figured but that's only a few of what I have. I'll try to get more pictures later when I have some more time

Eklipsis

That Pox that is in the bottom picture is worth a few bucks, but for the most part, unfortunatly, your stuff is all from the era where they are worthless. I do see you have some Reviesd Edition (white border with only a single copyright line)

I sorted through and found 40 of those and here are the pic of those (sorry I cant take a decent photo)

IMG_5616_zps2ddf6501.jpg

ElyrionX

Played Esper Control against a carbon copy of the Floch UW deck today. Managed to resolve Aetherling but time ran out before we even finished game 1. I was hitting him for 8 per round for about three rounds at that point in time but he was still at 26 life. I think I could have won that game though he was fairly confident of being able to constantly resolve Sphinx to keep his life up.

EDIT: Didn't manage to try your new list, GB, so this was using your old list and I removed the Downfall and added Syncopate back in. I have to concede that having Syncopate in the deck feels a lot more comfortable than Downfall.

Angry Grimace

Yeah that's kinda what I figured but that's only a few of what I have. I'll try to get more pictures later when I have some more time

The sets I see listed are Tempest, Revised, Ice Age, Mirage and Fifth Edition. This suggests cards from around 1995 to 1997.

The sets you're looking at are and the symbol signifying the set:

Revised (no symbol)
Fourth Edition (no symbol)
Fifth Edition (big roman numeral 5 as the symbol)
Ice Age (Snowflake)
Homelands (Globe)
Alliances (A flag)
Mirage (Palm Tree)
Visions (Letter "V")
Weatherlight (A book)
Tempest (Cloud with bolt coming out of it)

You can use this "visualizer" to see how much the cards are worth just by looking at the pictures, set by set:

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz

The big cards you'd look for are Force of Will, Lion's Eye Diamond, Vampiric Tutor, Wasteland. At least, those are the $30+ cards.

That Pox that is in the bottom picture is worth a few bucks, but for the most part, unfortunatly, your stuff is all from the era where they are worthless. I do see you have some Reviesd Edition (white border with only a single copyright line) and The Dark (Crescent Moon expansion symbol), which if you want to pull those out, some of them might be worth money. If you have any special lands from Revised edition, you might be looking at some real money.

Uh, he has stuff from Revised through Tempest - that includes a bunch of like Force of Will, etc.

Fifth Edition didn't have an expansion symbol on the cards. At least not in the States. The color is bolder and they have a 1997 copyright.

I thought it did? Maybe that was just Sixth Edition. Not that it matters, its a worthless set.

Fifth was awesome. They showed so little impulse control in what they reprinted. And the set was gigantic. I'm really nostalgic for it, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom