• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fifth Edition didn't have an expansion symbol on the cards. At least not in the States.

I thought it did? Maybe that was just Sixth Edition. Not that it matters, its a worthless set.

I'm actually testing a mono-sheep aggro deck since the combo beat a Selesnya nut draw by itself.

...it's not that good.

Red Elemental Blast is worth more than a dollar I reckon.
Nope!

Played Esper Control against a carbon copy of the Floch UW deck today. Managed to resolve Aetherling but time ran out before we even finished game 1. I was hitting him for 8 per round for about three rounds at that point in time but he was still at 26 life. I think I could have won that game though he was fairly confident of being able to constantly resolve Sphinx to keep his life up.

EDIT: Didn't manage to try your new list, GB, so this was using your old list and I removed the Downfall and added Syncopate back in. I have to concede that having Syncopate in the deck feels a lot more comfortable than Downfall.

You got to see first hand the risk of going all in on control lol

Even Miracles players in legacy put batterskull in their sideboard because of the clock.

Story of Ob Nixilis

Notably, it appeared that he used to be a... not-demon, but he used the Chain Veil and became a demon. He had already conquered several worlds before becoming a demon. He went to Zendikar to find a way to purge his curse, but he immediately had his powers sealed with a hedron by a Kor named Nahiri; this was hundreds of years ago. He intentionally told other planeswalkers about the power of the hedron in him, and then let the player character of DotP (who is unnamed in this story) take the hedron after putting up a small fight. He has regained his demon powers, and determined that to regain his spark, he'll have to destroy Zendikar, which he's more than happy to do. So I guess we have our plot for Return to Zendikar.

Isn't Zendikar already kinda fucked by the whole Eldrazi thing anyway? Does Ob Nixilis even need to do anything?

edit: Testing against Owen Turtenwald's ghost is kinda stressful. Currently 1-1 preboard.

rexor0717

Story of Ob Nixilis

Notably, it appeared that he used to be a... not-demon, but he used the Chain Veil and became a demon. He had already conquered several worlds before becoming a demon. He went to Zendikar to find a way to purge his curse, but he immediately had his powers sealed with a hedron by a Kor named Nahiri; this was hundreds of years ago. He intentionally told other planeswalkers about the power of the hedron in him, and then let the player character of DotP (who is unnamed in this story) take the hedron after putting up a small fight. He has regained his demon powers, and determined that to regain his spark, he'll have to destroy Zendikar, which he's more than happy to do. So I guess we have our plot for Return to Zendikar.
Ever since I pulled Ob in one of the first packs I purchases, I've been interested in knowing more about him. His flavor text really had me interested, so I'm glad that he is getting some story love.
Also, he should have been G/B. He would have been a bonkers commander.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124258430]Isn't Zendikar already kinda fucked by the whole Eldrazi thing anyway? Does Ob Nixilis even need to do anything?

[/QUOTE]

Emrakul dies trying to block 15 black cats.

How do you guys think your standard decks stack up against the metagame?

Esper Control:

vs Black Devotion:
  • MBD - 60/40
  • B/W- 60/40
  • Bg - 45/55
  • Br - 40/60
vs Blue Devotion: 70/30

vs Planar Cleansing: 45/55

vs Jund:
  • Monsters: 45/55
  • Planeswalkers: 40/60
vs Burn: 70/30

vs red aggro: 50/50

vs Maze's End: 10/90

OnPoint

Ever since I pulled Ob in one of the first packs I purchases, I've been interested in knowing more about him. His flavor text really had me interested, so I'm glad that he is getting some story love.
Also, he should have been G/B. He would have been a bonkers commander.

Give it time, another G/B PW will be needed in the future, and what better way to bring him back to the club than with a color splash.

ironmang

This upcoming weekend makes me realize how shit of a location I live in for MTG. The nearest decent sized tournaments are like 3-4 hours away in every direction. Guessing that's the case for some of you modo-only bros. If I was busy or married I'd probably be modo only too.

inthrall

At least you can drive. For me, its a flight every time

This upcoming weekend makes me realize how shit of a location I live in for MTG. The nearest decent sized tournaments are like 3-4 hours away in every direction. Guessing that's the case for some of you modo-only bros. If I was busy or married I'd probably be modo only too.

sigmasonicx said: Could red do temporary copies of enchantments?

In theory.
I do think this is an interesting area red could go into, which I believe I posted about here before. A sorcery copy of Pacifism would be the same as “can’t block this turn”, which is perfectly red, and it’d be great to copy Banishing Light targeting the original to temporarily bring back a haste creature.

I've been playing Esper against Yuuki Ichikawa's deck that I uploaded into tapped out and I'm getting fucked up the ass. I've got like 33% win percentage.

kingofgames1nl61.png

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124309754]I've been playing Esper against Yuuki Ichikawa's deck that I uploaded into tapped out and I'm getting fucked up the ass. I've got like 33% win percentage.

kingofgames1nl61.png
[/QUOTE]
This can't be surprising. It's the type of deck it's supposed to blow up.

This can't be surprising. It's the type of deck it's supposed to blow up.

I just hit myself with a Rakdos' Return for 6 while playing around Syncopate for 7.

edit: mulliganing any 7 without counters has pretty much jumped my win rate up. Even 3x Land, ultimate price, supreme verdict, 2x dsphere.

ultron87

Duel Deck Anthology is gonna be 99.99. A little more than I expected, but I'll might still pick it up since I'm a fiend for Duel Decks and I don't have any of those first four.

duxstar

Soooo something weird happened to me last night...... I have a G/W aggro deck I have been playing for months, way before it recently popped up in these SCG opens, and Pro Tours, because I saw what we've been seeing. It's decent against every matchup with the sideboard except for mono blue devotion; had gone like 17 - 2 with the deck and 1 of the losses was my fault.

Then last night I went to another local store because I was bored and had back to back matches with horrible luck; I made 3 changes; 2 Brimaz, and 1 Soldier of the Pantheon for 3 Sunblade Elf's.

Proceeded to go 0 - 2 and dropped from there (I was dead tired and hungry). My first match was against a guy with Nissa/Polukranos and Game 1 he was able to land all the mana in the world then drop a nylea and disciple to push him out of ajani caller of the pride range.

Game 2 I won; then game 3 with 2 courser of Kruphix's out he draws off the top; Nykthos, Nylea, Nykthos, Polukranos, Soul of New Pherexia. So basically had access to something ridiculous like 12 + mana a turn; and I ended up drawing 10 lands out of 24 in my deck.

Next game I was against Mono Black Devotion; Game 1 went easy enough like it always does, and then in game 2 I have answers for everything in his hand but 1 land and figure I can keep it; I hit a second land but a thoughtseize + lifebane took both my low drops out of my hand and i was stuck with an advent and a Boon satyr, which took too long to come out.

Game 3 he literally drops, Lifebane Zombie Turn 3, Lifebane Zombie Turn 4, Lifebane Zombie Pack rat Turn 5; which completely empties my hand and I lose. Then tells me he ONLY runs 3 in his entire deck.

Just a bad night, or a coming trend ? I've played the deck for 3 months and really find most matches to be somewhat close but would say I'm the favorite in all of them; I'm not entirely sold on the Sunblade Elf's when you run the Temple of Plenty's; but I find it hard to believe that 3 card changes could make that much of a difference; do I write it off as unlucky ?

kirblar

A lot of pros have said that Lifebane Zombie is actually worse for the format than Thoughtseize because of it hitting WAY too many targets in a gold block.

Angry Grimace

A lot of pros have said that Lifebane Zombie is actually worse for the format than Thoughtseize because of it hitting WAY too many targets in a gold block.

I tend to agree with Kibler on Thoughtseize. Its a brain-dead card. It doesn't take any kind of serious thought to play it since you can splash it and it hits everything. At least Lifebane actually requires you to play black to run it and there are occasionally times its a bad matchup. Thoughtseize is always good.

kirblar

I tend to agree with Kibler on Thoughtseize. Its a brain-dead card. It doesn't take any kind of serious thought to play it since you can splash it and it hits everything. At least Lifebane actually requires you to play black to run it and there are occasionally times its a bad matchup. Thoughtseize is always good.
The problem is that Lifebane is good enough to run on its own since it's a 3/1 "flier". It actually highlights why they're ditching intimidate. It randomly hoses G/W decks for generally no good reason, despite being intended as a SB card.

I said the same thing a page back. Card is too good. That's why Advent of the Wurm is so crucial for the Selesnya deck.

Crocodile

The problem is that Lifebane is good enough to run on its own since it's a 3/1 "flier". It actually highlights why they're ditching intimidate. It randomly hoses G/W decks for generally no good reason, despite being intended as a SB card.

Nothing about what you said makes sense. It doesn't "randomly" hose G/W decks, it was specifically made to target G/W decks since they tend to be creature heavy. The fact that it has evasion means the card is actually good in general and not super marginal/worthless (though maybe still suboptimal) in other matchups/formats. Would you prefer the card have Deathtouch, Haste or Flying (the only creature keywords available to Black not already used in the cycle)?

kirblar

Nothing about what you said makes sense. It doesn't "randomly" hose G/W decks, it was specifically made to target G/W decks since they tend to be creature heavy. The fact that it has evasion means the card is actually good in general and not super marginal/worthless (though maybe still suboptimal) in other matchups/formats. Would you prefer the card have Deathtouch, Haste or Flying (the only creature keywords available to Black not already used in the cycle)?
It was intended a sideboard card. It is played maindeck because the base creature is "good enough" vs both Mono-U and Esper while randomly screwing over G and W-based decks. Deathtouch would have been fine. Black players realized they were sideboarding them in in almost every matchup.

You don't want cards like this pushed like this so that they're good "in general". I've played Main-deck hoser cards before and had success, but that was due to metagame calls, not due to the creature having a "just gravy" color-hosing effect on top of being good enough on its own.

alternade

So to spice up our edh games my friends have started making custom commanders. For the most part its what you would expect, undercosted and overpowered. I want to make something that looks fair but is severely oppresive in BUG/Sultai colors. I'm thinking aether storm on a stick or some kind of discard to play spells ability. Like " players can't cast spells with mana. Instead you may discard X cards where X is the CMC of that spell to cast it" Any ideas on how to word it properly?

bigkrev

The 4 other cards require your opponent to actually play a spell to trigger them, while Lifebane actually lets you look at their hand and take a card from it proactively. For that big an improvement up front, you would think the body should get a downgrade from a 3/1 unblockable.

Angry Grimace

It "randomly" hoses G/W because its good enough on its own to play. If you're playing against Mono-Blue, you would board Lifebane IN, not out.

Exokell

Banned
How is lifebane not too good? its holy shit good especially during ravnica block. Discard a creature plus 3/1 with intimidate while costing only 3 mana. But its gonna disappear soon though, so just worry abt thoughtseize.

Firemind

As a mono red player, I'd rather face lifebane than nightveil. Other than that matchup, it's pretty busted, yeah. People play Xenagos and Nissa because it can't be targeted.

OnPoint

It's bad against aggro or burn.

It's a terrible late-game top deck if you're low on life or it's a close race looking for a haymaker.

Any format with Misdirection-style effects could make a mockery of it if they would push the ability (come on, Khans, have something like this and cheap please!). It's just a shame Smiter doesn't force the opponent to take it.

kirblar

It's bad against aggro or burn.

It's a terrible late-game top deck if you're low on life or it's a close race looking for a haymaker.

Any format with Misdirection-style effects could make a mockery of it if they would push the ability (come on, Khans, have something like this and cheap please!). It's just a shame Smiter doesn't force the opponent to take it.
It's actually good against aggro now, because of how good the individual critters are nowadays.

Angry Grimace

I love playing U/B Faeries, but man does the deck really need a card draw engine.

I'm even thinking of splashing white for Sphinx's Revelation since Ancestral Visions is getting unbanned on the first of never.

Thoughtseize is awesome against burn, too. I still side it out because I have a lot of hate cards, but still.

Take their Skullcrack or Magma Jet and their whole plan can crumple pretty quick.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124388708]Thoughtseize is awesome against burn, too. I still side it out because I have a lot of hate cards, but still.

Take their Skullcrack or Magma Jet and their whole plan can crumple pretty quick.[/QUOTE]

I think people are coming at it from the angle of Thoughtseize being bad simply because Duress happens to be better against Burn. That doesn't make Thoughtseize bad, in my opinion.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124392830]Well nobody's gonna mainboard duress.[/QUOTE]

Except in Vintage, where we do it all the time because Vintage is weird.

kirblar

Welp, shoulda ordered that 4th Nissa. Saw 1 for 26 shipped and snapped it up. Oh well, getting 3 for ~15 each isn't bad. Edel says this list is blowing people up on MTGO:

Bud8P88IgAEBN2Q.jpg:large

ElyrionX

Question. I have been looking at UR Twin decks recently and I notice a lot of them run Misty Forest and Breeding Pool despite not requiring green mana.

Misty Forest I presume is to fetch the blue shocklands but some decklists I see that have Misty Forest don't run the full set of Scalding Tarn which makes no sense to me since Scalding Tarn lets you fetch both lands which are useful to UR.

Breeding Pool is even more confusing to me. Why run it all when you have zero green cards in MD and SB? Wouldn't it make more sense to just run a basic Island in its place? Or is it run so you can fetch it with a Misty Forest after you max out the number of copies of Scalding Tarn?

f0rk

They should max Scalding Tarn, don't know where you're seeing lists that don't.
The green mana is for the sideboard ancient grudges

Firemind

So after weeks of testing, I came to the conclusion that if I want to win against Blue Devotion, I need to burn everything blue that moves. Boarding in pumps spells just doesn't work when they have Tidebinders, Master of Waves in every game and Thassa who can race you in two or three turns.

Assuming I have to play a few Blue Devotion matchups in nine rounds (no byes sadly), here's what I decided on my sideboard:

4 magma spray
4 eidolon of the great revel
2 titan's strength
2 mizzium mortars
1 legion loyalist
1 chandra, pyromaster
1 searing blood

Magma sprays are also useful against G/W which I predict I'll get paired against as well. Titan's Strength are for opponents' magma sprays; better than rubblebelt maaka I believe. Rest is for Black/Jund midrange with a fourth loyalist and a couple of miser removal to round things off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom