• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Personally think it needed to Brain Maggot the card and not permanently exile it, but that's just me.
Won my first "large" event with these two beauties maindeck. :p

63.jpg
84.jpg

Crocodile

Flying would be too good, it needed to be non-evasive.

Right, that's the position I thought you took and is a very reasonable one to take. But then your reply to what I was saying to Sigma makes even less sense because Intimidate specifically, just evasion in general, wasn't the issue with Lifebane. That's why I'm kind of confused.

OnPoint

Won my first "large" event with these two beauties maindeck. :p

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/tr/63.jpg[MG][IMG]http://magiccards.info/scans/en/tr/84.jpgIMG][/QUOTE]

See? Stalker feels pretty balanced. And the first one looks artwise like it should have flying haha

kirblar

Right, that's the position I thought you took and is a very reasonable one to take. But then your reply to what I was saying to Sigma makes even less sense because Intimidate specifically, just evasion in general, wasn't the issue with Lifebane. That's why I'm kind of confused.
Lifebane's ability attached to a creature that's playable on its own even in matchups where the ability isn't relevant is a problem. Intimidate is also a problem, they're two separate issues, along with Landwalk being a third. But they're all related to the same root problem.

Crocodile

For the sake of clarity I think "Lifebane is OP", "Intimidate is OP/swingy is a bad way" and "Landwalk is OP/swingy in a bad way" are all conversational threads that should be kept separate (though I understand how the second thread may come up in the first) :p

Lifebane's ability attached to a creature that's playable on its own even in matchups where the ability isn't relevant is a problem. Intimidate is also a problem, they're two separate issues, along with Landwalk being a third. But they're all related to the same root problem.

I was introduced to Magic via the first Duels of the Planeswalkers. Even as a new player, the "usual" newbie stuff didn't bother me. I didn't think counterspells were bullshit. I didn't think removal spells were bullshit. It was this card that infuriated me:

E0af67S.jpg

This card was either the stone nuts, or mediocre. It felt so bad to lose to that card just because you had the audacity to play forests in your deck.

Updated sideboard for esper control after playing nothing but burn and jund planeswalkers at fnm tonight.

• 4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
  • 4 Blood Baron of Viskopa
  • 4 Negate
  • 2 AEtherspouts
  • 1 Pithing Needle

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124579091]By the way, AEtherspouts has outperformed Supreme Verdict in almost every match. Super happy with my choice here.[/QUOTE]
Not surprised.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
4x Spire Tracer G
4x Gladecover Scout G
4x Hero of Leina Tower G
4x Burning Tree R/G R/G
4x Kalonian Tusker GG
4x Bassara Tower Archer GG

4x Aspect of Hydra G
4x Warrior's Lesson G
4x Ranger's Guile G
4x Madcap Skills 1R

15x Forest
4x Stomping Grounds
1x Temple of Abandon

I ran this Gameday, came 3rd out of ~25 people after winning six games in a row. This deck destroys against anything that isn't blue Devotion. Not too shabby for a deck that cost me only $2 for the Hero of Leina Tower's (I borrowed the lands).

Had a sick M15 draft today. I first picked one of the best limited rares in the set in Goblin Rabblemaster, and ended with a disgustingly aggressive UR deck:

Code:
1 Drops: Forge Devil, Frenzied Goblin, Crowd's Favor
2 Drops: 2x Borderland Marauder, Quickling, Welkin Tern, Military Intelligence, Torch Fiend,  Lightning Strike
3 Drops: Aeronaut Tinkerers, Goblin Roughrider, Goblin Rabblemaster, Frost Lynx, Polymorphist's Jest
4 Drops: Amphin Pathmage, Juggernaut, Scrapyard Mongrel, Kird Chieftain
5 Drops: Cone of Flame, Thundering Giant
6 Drops: Blastfire Bolt
X Drops: Heat Ray

Didn't drop a game. Military Intelligence was insane for me all day. I splashed a forest with an Evolving Wilds, but never actually drew the Kird Chieftain somehow. Blastfire Bolt overperformed; it's expensive, but was a great way to top off my curve.

Quickling was also incredible; it released creatures from Encrusts, bought back Forge Devils, ambushed attackers, etc. I think that any more than one would have been challenging to play with, but the one was very good.

Kerrinck

Trying to get back into the paper world after sticking with online for a couple of years.
Anybody recommends a webstore to buy cards from? Trying to pick a Liliana of the Veil from Ebay but I mostly see some weird custom art cards.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";124579091]By the way, AEtherspouts has outperformed Supreme Verdict in almost every match. Super happy with my choice here.[/QUOTE]

Is that because people weren't anticipating it?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Trying to get back into the paper world after sticking with online for a couple of years.
Anybody recommends a webstore to buy cards from? Trying to pick a Liliana of the Veil from Ebay but I mostly see some weird custom art cards.

starcitygames
cardkingdom
trollandtoad
mtgfanatic

Those are probably the big four as far as online retailers go. I always used starcitygames, mostly out of habit and because I really like their site layout. But they tend to charge a bit more and I have had issues with their vendors being assholes at some tournaments. People seem to like troll and toad a lot but all of those sites have their fans. I'd check them all out and see who will give you the best price.

Var

Coolstuffinc sometimes has cheaper prices for individual cards. I usually check them, starcity, ebay, and tcgplayer and just order from wherever it is cheapest.

Did an M15 booster draft last night, my second draft ever (first was for Theros block), due to me usually getting home from work too late to both draft and have dinner.

Here's my deck by the end of it.
==Black cards==
1x Typhoid Rats - Creature - B
1x Sign in Blood - Sorcery - BB
1x Black Cat - Creature - 1B
1x Child of Night - Creature - 1B
1x Necrobite - Instant - 2B
1x Stab Wound - Enchantment - 2B
1x Festergloom - Sorcery - 2B
3x Carrion Crow - Creature - 2B
1x Xathrid Slyblade - Creature - 2B
1x Flesh to Dust - Instant - 3BB
1x Nightfire Giant - Creature - 4B
1x Caustic Tar - Enchantment - 4BB
1x Covenant of Blood - Sorcery - 6B
= 15
==Red cards==
1x Hammerhand - Enchantment - R
1x Forge Devil - Creature - R
1x Generator Servant - Creature - 1R
1x Act on Impulse - Sorcery - 2R
1x Belligerent Sliver - Creature - 2R
1x Rummaging Goblin - Creature - 2R
1x Blastfire Bolt - Instant - 5R
1x Miner's Bane - Creature - 4RR
= 8
==Lands==
1x Radiant Fountain
10x Swamp
6x Mountain

I went 2-2. In my first round, against a GU deck, my opponent brought out Jace in both games we had and I kept underestimating his -3 bounce ability, which stopped my big creatures from attacking, and I lost both. Most infuriating, there was a point where my opponent had tapped fliers, Jace at 3, and I had a Typhoid Rats (which couldn't block the fliers) and my big creature that I had just recast after Jace bounced it last turn, and I chose to attack my foe with the rats instead of Jace, which allowed him to bounce my big creature.

In my second round, against a RW deck, in the first game, I only had red cards in my hand and was just drawing Swamps, while my opponent curved out perfectly, so I lost. In the second game, Act on Impulse performed a lot better than I ever expected: I exiled two Swamps and a Covenant of Blood, and I was able to play a Swamp and cast Covenent of Blood with convoke to take out my opponent's big creature. I won the round overall.

In my third round, against another RW deck, for whatever reason, my mind started going and I became really ditzy. Notably, in the last game, my opponent was at 8 and had nothing on his board while I had creatures; he played a land, and passed his turn without doing anything else and with no cards in his hand. I had forgotten that I could only deal 7 damage to him, instead assuming I could deal lethal damage to him, so I just tapped my creatures without drawing and started picking my stuff up, and this caused some awkwardness. I won the next turn anyway. In the first game, Act of Treason performed well again, netting me two Swamps (I played one) and Carrion Crow. I won both games.

My fourth and final round, against a RG deck, was against a player that only started two months ago. In the first game, I had two Swamps in my starting hand, only ever had one two or less cost creature (Black Cat), and never drew any other lands, so I lost. In the second game, I only got three creatures in total. Granted, one of them was Nightfire Giant, but my opponent was able to overrun me due to a Ranger's Guile protecting his Kird Chieftain from Flesh to Dust and Nightfire Giant being the only creature I had on the board at that moment. At the time, I was a bit annoyed that I lost to a beginner due to luck of the draw, but it's good for beginners to win, and I thankfully didn't outwardly demonstrate my annoyance.

Overall, it was a lot of fun, and my middle two rounds got pretty intense at points. I didn't experience much deadlock outside of normal drawing luck, but maybe that's just because this is only my second draft.

Var

Anyone else get their Garruk Axe in? Mine came in yesterday. Now I just have to find a place for it in my office.

I got thoughtseized by a jund planeswalkers deck today in the mid game and this was my hand:

negate negate dissolve dissolve sphinx's revelation sphinx's revelation

Come at me bro.

Big One

Banned
So I've been recently getting into this game. I've always played casually off and on over the years, but I never "got it" in regards to things as I've always been intimidated by the card pool and the amount of mechanics cards have. I play a lot of YGO which took up my time there, but YGO is getting old for me.

It was a process, but I think I "got it" now for the most part. I still need to get used to a lot of things and learn all the intricacies of the mechanics and whatnot. I bought the Jace vs. Vraska Duel Decks and played a bunch of games with those, which believe it or not pretty much was when I finally understood the game a lot better and transitioned over to Standard and potentially modern.

In YGO one of my favorite decks is a Water deck called Mermail, and I'm familiar with the powerful draw cards and other things from games like Kaijudo and Duel Masters (which are based off Magic), so I've been interested in Mono-Blue Devotion decks in Standard and Merfolk in Modern. I've been acquiring some of the pieces for them...only to find out that a lot of the cards I bought are getting phased out in a month. Yikes. Regardless, it's mostly weenie stuff, as the core of the deck Master of Waves and Thassa are still playable, plus Mutavault is still really good in pretty much any Modern deck, so it should be easy to find solid replacements for them in the upcoming block.

Modern seems like the best outright investment right now and seems to be supported pretty well enough to be worth it. If I buy a Merfolk deck I'm pretty much set for life, while my Mono-Blue Devotion deck is only going to last me for a year until Thassa and Master of Waves phases out.

So I've been recently getting into this game. I've always played casually off and on over the years, but I never "got it" in regards to things as I've always been intimidated by the card pool and the amount of mechanics cards have. I play a lot of YGO which took up my time there, but YGO is getting old for me.

It was a process, but I think I "got it" now for the most part. I still need to get used to a lot of things and learn all the intricacies of the mechanics and whatnot. I bought the Jace vs. Vraska Duel Decks and played a bunch of games with those, which believe it or not pretty much was when I finally understood the game a lot better and transitioned over to Standard and potentially modern.

In YGO one of my favorite decks is a Water deck called Mermail, and I'm familiar with the powerful draw cards and other things from games like Kaijudo and Duel Masters (which are based off Magic), so I've been interested in Mono-Blue Devotion decks in Standard and Merfolk in Modern. I've been acquiring some of the pieces for them...only to find out that a lot of the cards I bought are getting phased out in a month. Yikes. Regardless, it's mostly weenie stuff, as the core of the deck Master of Waves and Thassa are still playable, plus Mutavault is still really good in pretty much any Modern deck, so it should be easy to find solid replacements for them in the upcoming block.

Modern seems like the best outright investment right now and seems to be supported pretty well enough to be worth it. If I buy a Merfolk deck I'm pretty much set for life, while my Mono-Blue Devotion deck is only going to last me for a year until Thassa and Master of Waves phases out yet again.

The benefit of Standard is precisely that the card pool isn't nearly as big as other formats, so it is less intimidating to get into and, in theory, much less expensive. The downside is that half of the cards rotate out every year--though this is also an upside, as the entire environment changes every year, so it isn't stale for long. After the somewhat monocolored focus of the Theros block, we're getting the three-color focused set Khans of Tarkir, for instance.

Modern does not have any cards that rotate out, so decks can stick around for a while, but the initial monetary investment is really big.

Crocodile

Trade 1: Gilded Lotus, Thassa, Jace the Mind Scupltor, Ulamog, Kozilkek and Cryptic Command (Player's Reward) for Lightly Played Revised Volcanic Island

Trade 2: Lightning Greaves (FNM), Vendilion Clique, Restoration Angel, Elspeth Knight Errant (Duel Deck), Creakwood Liege, 2x Cascade Bluffs, 2x Wooded Bastion, Fire-Lit Thicket, Iona, Sheild of Emeria for Lightly Played Revised Tundra

Thoughts? (I'd be getting the duals BTW)

ironmang

Anybody have any tips for trading one mtgo deck for another one? Looking to turn Scapeshift into Affinity (tired of getting seized or burned out of games) but don't want to deal with the current high margins of bots. Selling to other players seems like it'd take forever and I doubt I'd run into someone trying to Affinity->Scapeshift.

Lots of Modern tournaments springing up locally so I pretty much have to rely on mtgo to learn this deck quickly.

Trade 1: Gilded Lotus, Thassa, Jace the Mind Scupltor, Ulamog, Kozilkek and Cryptic Command (Player's Reward) for Lightly Played Revised Volcanic Island

Trade 2: Lightning Greaves (FNM), Vendilion Clique, Restoration Angel, Elspeth Knight Errant (Duel Deck), Creakwood Liege, 2x Cascade Bluffs, 2x Wooded Bastion, Fire-Lit Thicket, Iona, Sheild of Emeria for Lightly Played Revised Tundra

Thoughts? (I'd be getting the duals BTW)

These trades look fine.

bigkrev

Modern seems like the best outright investment right now and seems to be supported pretty well enough to be worth it. If I buy a Merfolk deck I'm pretty much set for life, while my Mono-Blue Devotion deck is only going to last me for a year until Thassa and Master of Waves phases out.

Master of Waves is at it's lowest right now- it's a prime pick up. If you can wait, Modern Masters 2 is less than a year away, and could really effect the price of the Lorwyn era cards (Cursecatcher, Silvergil, ect) if they are reprinted.

If my friend hadn't played his weird brew burn deck today, that stupid Gameday mat would be mine. Instead, we meet in the top 8. He eliminates me and then proceeds to get eliminated himself against monoblack devotion, the same deck I had stomped going undefeated. Burn was my only weakness and no one there plays it.

Grakl

Hah, conspiracy is great. My favorite draft was when I got four Howling Wolves and two Reito Lanterns -- yay infinite wolves!

Bakphoon

If my friend hadn't played his weird brew burn deck today, that stupid Gameday mat would be mine. Instead, we meet in the top 8. He eliminates me and then proceeds to get eliminated himself against monoblack devotion, the same deck I had stomped going undefeated. Burn was my only weakness and no one there plays it.

I know that feel, after round 3 i was leading with my Gruul Deck with 9 points (next one only had 6) and i only needed a draw for the 1st place. My opponent had no chance to win the mat anymore, but i lost against him and someone else got the mat because of his opponent standings (or so he explained it). It doesnt help that he already has a bunch of playmats, while i have none. And those are quite pricey.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hah, conspiracy is great. My favorite draft was when I got four Howling Wolves and two Reito Lanterns -- yay infinite wolves!

Conspiracy is awesome. What I consistently do is draft like three conspiracies that have me name a card to benefit, and then draft a bunch of an underpowered card that no-one else wants. When I did it two weeks ago I drafted five copies of Syphon Soul and the conspiracies so that it cost 1 less, was doubled, and drew me a card. Suddenly five copies of a 1B spell that does 4 damage to everyone, gains me that much life, and draws me a card is really good.

JulianImp

Hey guys, any recommendations for Android life counter apps?

Seriously, I'd say use pen and paper. It's a lot more reliable in the case you and your opponent disagree about life totals, while using dice or smartphone apps means you can't keep track of all life total changes since the game started (or maybe there're apps that do track that?). We judges are a lot more likely to err on the side of players that track life totals with pen and paper rather than using other methods that don't let us track previous life total changes.

Firemind

Dreamcrushed by Blue Devotion. Fitting end to the weekend.

Got to play against a totally sweet U/R/brown deck though, featuring cards such as Darksteel Citadel, Goblin Rabblemaster, Ornithopter, Springleaf Drum, Ensoul Artifact, Shrapnel Blast and Chief Engineer. Not sure what he was going to ramp with the engineer; I assume he boarded out the Scuttling Doom Engines against me. :lol

I won, but only barely because of my double Firefist Strikers prevented his indestructible 5/5s from blocking. Apparently, he advanced to day two. :lol

Totally gonna brew this deck and try it out online.

kirblar

lol did you use that Odyssey/Torment precon as your base?
Nope, Mono-Black block list I got off the internet that maindecked those guys in order to fight U/G and W/G, since there wasn't really anything you could do fight better in the mirror, since the mirror depended on a) knowing what mattered and b) drawing what mattered, and c) being on the play. Deck was godlike for that wretched format.

bigkrev

If they had just originally announced that they were going to replace the Block Constructed PT with another Standard PT, while there probably would have been some people asking why they don't go to 2 Standard/2 Modern, it would have gotten universal praise.

Glad they were able to take the feedback this quickly though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If they had just originally announced that they were going to replace the Block Constructed PT with another Standard PT, while there probably would have been some people asking why they don't go to 2 Standard/2 Modern, it would have gotten universal praise.

Glad they were able to take the feedback this quickly though.

Standard is infinitely better than block constructed though. Hell, I'd rather they put on a Legacy PT than a Block Constructed one. (I am not a fan of Legacy)

If you want to get into Modern, you should probably consider buying your Thoughtseizes right now.

bigkrev

Standard is infinitely better than block constructed though. Hell, I'd rather they put on a Legacy PT than a Block Constructed one. (I am not a fan of Legacy)

If you want to get into Modern, you should probably consider buying your Thoughtseizes right now.

They are never doing a Legacy PT- there are too many countries where the cards were never released to allow for it.

They also announced GP Vancoover is being switched from Limited to Modern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom