• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

not sure how long this has been up, but....

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/limited/analysis/draft/vma_vma_vma
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/limited/cards/draft/vma_vma_vma

Statistics for triple VMA. Seems like a pretty broken format, with white and red being the best colors by a landslide. Also, looks like it's usually correct to go second, which is very strange in a format so dominated by Battle Screech.

I think the lesson to learn here is that powerful token generators shouldn't be commons :p Beetleback Chief and Battle Screech are by far the best commons in the set.

I've never heard of this site before. Is it reputable/well-respected? Like if I take this data and show it to somebody else, are they going to like laugh at me?

Lucario

I've never heard of this site before. Is it reputable/well-respected? Like if I take this data and show it to somebody else, are they going to like laugh at me?

As far as I know, they're the best source for MTGO statistics, and the way they collect information is pretty much the only way you can do it; by watching match replays, and taking note of what shows up. This means only cards that get cast are going to show up, and not the stuff that sits in your hand all day.

This makes it really difficult to interpret the statistics in a useful way. For example, high CMC cards, combat tricks, and heavily synergistic cards often show up with very high win percentages. This doesn't mean they're good; it just means they're good when you cast them. For all we know, for every copy of Falter that gets cast, another two are sitting in the hand of a very unhappy aggro player.

rCIZZLE

Can someone explain to me why people seem so excited for the worse-than-Cranial-Extraction in M15?

People on the internet get hyped for everything. I remember people almost having heart attacks when Erebos was spoiled and this was even before MBD started it's year long domination. Reddit is getting quite silly with every common and uncommon getting praised like if they were lightning bolt and it was just being introduced in 2014.

I mean, I remember that I undervalued Slaughter Games when it was spoiled, mostly because I undervalued the "can't be countered" clause and its ability to randomly hose combo decks (then again, the card is basically not anymore in any format, so maybe I was just ahead of the curve). But this card just looks actively bad...

bigkrev

BrgG7fpCMAAOiXb.jpg

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS CARD IS AWESOME

So in Standard, that's not playable. But I have to imagine that they were afraid it would be too good for red-ritual-storm decks in Modern/Legacy at a cheaper cost.

EDIT: Wait, that's three cards? For some reason I initially read it as two. Maybe it could be good. Interesting sideboard for red decks against control? A way to turn excess mana into permanents? I don't know; the initial three mana investment is still a lot.

On one hand, I was hoping for that effect to appear on a one R sorcery referencing Ancestral Recall... but on the other hand, it's awesome to see that actually printed.

... I'm actually not a big fan of the art, though. It's weird having a card where the art is an extreme close-up of Chandra's face. Although, I believe this is the first card we've seen where Chandra has her goggles on instead of on her forehead, right?

duxstar

guess I'm playing Black at the prerelease

Unfortunately I will be playing Green or White =[ Need those playsets of Hushwing Gryff and Preeminent Captains in white, and in Green I want the better chance of Nissa/Chord of Calling; though I remember someone saying that choosing the color doesn't affect the card you get but I don't remember if that was ever found true.

First time they've mentioned 'loyalty abilities'. This templating is going to spawn a billion custom cards that interact with planeswalkers.

Bleh. That means no more 9 PM updates for me, and it won't even update by the time I leave for work.

EDIT: Tokens. The sliver token is the same as last time, so it's still a Predator. The producer of the dragon token was spoiled a while ago, but it will be interesting to see what produces the Treefolk Warrior.

Notably, it seems all tokens are being labeled "Token Creature" now. Considering that their token status is actually gameplay relevant, it's actually a good idea to have that appear in the type line.

Wow. The new frame looks like hot garbage on vanilla tokens.

EDIT: Wait, did we know that Hornet Queen was in the set already?

Oh wow, I didn't even notice the colored area below the text box. It does look terrible.

Anyway, we knew about Hornet Queen from when all reprints from the Intro Decks were mistakenly put on the mothership when the new site design was first put up.

Yeef

Oh crap. I misread the time update as 11pm EST. I thought they were moving it up an hour. Instead they're moving it back 11 hours :\

I do like the new token frame though. Much more space for the art.

bigkrev

I'm pretty sure you still have to pay the loyalty cost. It just lets you activate two in a turn...
Plus Ral and Nissa, activate Veil. Plus Ral again, untapping Chain Veil and Plus Nissa to untap 4 mana. Repeat till Ral has enough to ultimate, and flip coins. As long as you win one flip each time it's a loop

There are starting to be some disagreements in the judge community about exactly how Chain Veil works. Some high-level judges believe that activating it multiple times per turn won't give you additional activations of your planeswalkers. So far Tabak or any WotC personnel haven't spoken, but there's a possibility that when the M15 FAQ comes out, you could be disappointed.

You can't go infinite. It says once per turn on the second effect. So that effect can only activate one additional plainswalker ability a turn. But it affects all plainswalkers you control.

Grakl

I figure it's just to specify that you can activate a planeswalker's ability once more this turn as if the abilities haven't been activated before, and you can do this multiple times -- not once per turn, since it doesn't specify that

weird wording I guess

Except it's not at all that clear. Since it says you can pretend abilities haven't been activated this turn, some people are (quite understandably) assuming that means that you get to ignore loyalty activations from previous Chail Veil activations as well.

It's incredibly awkwardly worded; that fact is what actually makes me think that it's not intended to go infinite. If it was, they would have chosen a simpler wording. The fact that they chose such a silly wording makes me feel like they intended to block infinite combos with it, regardless of how it actually reads.

ultron87

Yeah, I expect if it was intended to be able to go infinite it would just say "you may activate one of its abilities an additional time this turn."

OnPoint

The wording reads to me like it goes infinite, though I could be wrong.

"You may activate one of its loyalty abilities as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn" seems to imply to me that it resets the "once per turn" clock on PW activations.

Except the once per turn on the ability means it would do nothing if you tried to activate it again.

It affects the ability, not the targets.

But the once per turn was added in obviously. So someone made a playtest error and instead of adding this ability can only be activated once per turn at the top they added it in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom