• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Yeah the MM1 box I got was nearly mono shitty rares and mythics but I got multiple Finks, Path to Exiles, Witnesses, etc. that made up the value. That seems hard to do with MM2 and that SUCKS.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Destructive Revelry is a burn spell, tho.

Yeah, but I can cast Leyline for free and they don't know I have it until they've made their mulligan decision.

e.g. it always works and they usually just die to Sorin and a bunch of Lingering Souls.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163579423]Ugin's only six bucks online? What a blowout.[/QUOTE]

Narset is 5.50. Because I was right and Narset doesn't do anything.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163580914]I feel bad because I was on your side then I flip flopped onto the wrong side of history with the Esper Control deck I brewed up.

I totally called Ojutai though. It was a one-of in my sideboard :3

Ojutai sucks[/QUOTE]

I played against her like 5 times and she's never done anything interesting. Because she draws cards like 50% of the time at best and her minus is rarely actually useful in a game you aren't already gonna win.

Joe Molotov

Yeah, but I can cast Leyline for free and they don't know I have it until they've made their mulligan decision.

e.g. it always works and they usually just die to Sorin and a bunch of Lingering Souls.

I'd counter your Sorin with Pact of Negation and then play Angel's Grace.

y2dvd

The game of Magic would not be negatively affected in any way, shape or form if they decided to just say fuck it and reprint Goyf in a standard-legal set. It would probably rock on down to a 50 dollar card, which, may I remind y'all, is still a fuck load of money for a piece of cardboard.

WotC still believes they're holding this fragile little 1999 company and not one of the main pillars of Hasbro's international lineup. They can probably let the foot of the brake a bit, when commons are reaching 10 bucks and uncommons are nearing 20 dollars. At some point, they've got to realize they're actively telling kids and less fortunate folks that they're not welcome.

40-50 dollar drafts, super limited print runs of nearly everything that isn't a standard set, costly FtVs as "thanks for supporting us for 20 years" and the complete disinterest in talking about real world financial concerns is going to harm them way more in the long run than Emmara Tandris being at the wrong rarity, or whatever they actually panic about.

Hear, Fuckin hear!For as much as we pay for cardboard and how much WotC probably makes from mtg, the prize pay outs and what not are pathetic too.

ElyrionX

That's a fair thing to say for me. It sure seems fickle though considering the changes that have happened in the past 2 years. Everyone calls for everything being banned (I've heard infect, twin, blood moon, Tarmogoyf,delver, I could go on.)that as someone who doesn't play modern I'm intimidated by the mere fact that the conversation takes place so often.

This is a very fair point.

red13th

So, when is the best time to buy MM15 money singles like Cryptic Command and Elesh Norn? Right when MM15 is released, a few weeks later, a month later? Will it make a difference?
I've already dealt internally with the fact that I'll have to buy a bunch of singles since my box will only have Comet Storms/Long-Forgotten Goheis/Endrek Sahrs/etc, so I want to make best use of my money.

bigkrev

So, when is the best time to buy MM15 money singles like Cryptic Command and Elesh Norn? Right when MM15 is released, a few weeks later, a month later? Will it make a difference?
I've already dealt internally with the fact that I'll have to buy a bunch of singles since my box will only have Comet Storms/Long-Forgotten Goheis/Endrek Sahrs/etc, so I want to make best use of my money.

I think 1 month is about the right time to wait- people will have opened product they bought for drafting, stores will have brought in a good amount of cards via buylist, and we will be getting ready for Magic Origin pre-releases.

ElyrionX

Narset is 5.50. Because I was right and Narset doesn't do anything.

I am usually bad at assessing new cards but I had totally no idea why people thought she was good back when the card was revealed. The card draw is narrow and the rebound is only situationally useful. The card is the furthest thing from being a flexible answer which is what a 4-drop needs to be in a control shell.

Angry Grimace

I am usually bad at assessing new cards but I had totally no idea why people thought she was good back when the card was revealed. The card draw is narrow and the rebound is only situationally useful. The card is the furthest thing from being a flexible answer which is what a 4-drop needs to be in a control shell.

She has a lot of Loyalty, but that doesn't really mean shit. Every time I've played against Narset I'm fairly comfortable just ignoring her until either a) I win, or b) she's at ult, in which case you send like one attacker at her.

I am usually bad at assessing new cards but I had totally no idea why people thought she was good back when the card was revealed.

At this point people are pretty good at identifying how useful individual planeswalker abilities are but still pretty bad at determining how long they can keep the box those abilities come in alive.

Matriox

She has a lot of Loyalty, but that doesn't really mean shit. Every time I've played against Narset I'm fairly comfortable just ignoring her until either a) I win, or b) she's at ult, in which case you send like one attacker at her.

Or just Hero's downfall.. God I really hate that it's instant speed lol.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163605493]Anger of the Gods seems really good right now.[/QUOTE]

This is why I think main boarding a couple in that Grixis Dragons deck isn't a bad move.

y2dvd

This is why I think main boarding a couple in that Grixis Dragons deck isn't a bad move.

I was actually thinking of doing this, but you'd have to lose some of the 2 drops. Replace a few with some Brimaz' maybe and some burn. Fix the mana around with more Temple of Triumph and Battlefield Forge and you have your double white or red covered.

I was actually thinking of doing this, but you'd have to lose some of the 2 drops. Replace a few with some Brimaz' maybe and some burn. Fix the mana around with more Temple of Triumph and Battlefield Forge and you have your double white or red covered.

Soulfire Grandmaster plus anger is the mondo combo, though.

August FNM Promo:

EN_cardpromo_SerumVisions.png

kirblar

So Serum Visions is an FNM promo.

Good job bringing the type of terrible decisionmaking you see on MTGO to the real world.

Hilariously, the initial reaction on Reddit is along the lines of "ohhhh...okay...everything is good now."

Come on guys; this isn't going to budge the price of a 4x common by a penny.

EDIT: And yes, the art is atrocious.

EDIT2: On the plus side, I think it's good for players if the FNM promo is actually worth something.

Well I'm planning to draft a lot of Magic Origins if it's good, so I'll get my playset of Visions pretty quick that way. I'll just trade for people's Remands and Cliques, don't want anything else from MM2.

Why they are so often worthless boggles my mind. They should always be at least a playable card, and they aren't always even that.

Part of it is trying to predict standard playables from the current set way ahead of time. And FNM is casual so they probably don't want people fighting for $25 Mythic rares every week and hating out new players. I think they do a pretty good job for a fun bonus. I use the FNM bile blights and disdainful strokes in my deck.

kirblar

Real value FNM promos is good - this just wasn't the card to do it with. Path's been reprinted a billion times already, so skipping MM2 made sense. There were plenty of other Uncommons they could have used that weren't in dire straits on the availability front.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163659703]Part of it is trying to predict standard playables from the current set way ahead of time. And FNM is casual so they probably don't want people fighting for $25 Mythic rares every week and hating out new players. I think they do a pretty good job for a fun bonus. I use the FNM bile blights and disdainful strokes in my deck.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying print $25 mythic rares. Where are you getting that? Why would you even bother implying that I suggested that? Just print playable cards. Bile Blight and Disdainful Stroke are good examples, as is Stoke the Flames. Those are cards people will play. Lingering Souls comes to mind as well. Hell, popular mana dorks would be fine inclusions as well, or other potential good commons would be good as well. They could even print relevant tokens (special Goblins during Rabblemaster's popularity would have been great, or run off some Monk tokens for Monastery Mentor). No one is expecting Mythics for an FMN promo.

red13th

speaking of Rabblemaster's tokens, they never released his tokens did they? I can't seem to find 1/1 red Goblins with haste.

speaking of Rabblemaster's tokens, they never released his tokens did they? I can't seem to find 1/1 red Goblins with haste.

They're not printing abilities that don't matter beyond the first turn on the token anymore. It makes the tokens more usable. For example, Young Pyromancer can't use Elemental Mastery's tokens because they were printed with Haste (which is super annoying since the tokens they printed for her are super hard to get).

bigkrev

Do we know approximately how many stores either Worldwide or in America run FNM?

If so, we could estimate how many Serum Visions will be added to the world (4 promos per event, 4 Fridays in a month...).

kirblar

Do we know approximately how many stores either Worldwide or in America run FNM?

If so, we could estimate how many Serum Visions will be added to the world (4 promos per event, 4 Fridays in a month...).
FNM promos don't dent prices in the slightest.

red13th

They don't usually put Haste on tokens because it generally only matters the turn they come into play.

They're not printing abilities that don't matter beyond the first turn on the token anymore. It makes the tokens more usable. For example, Young Pyromancer can't use Elemental Mastery's tokens because they were printed with Haste (which is super annoying since the tokens they printed for her are super hard to get).

makes sense. and yeah Young Pyro's tokens are expensive :/

Angry Grimace

So Serum Visions is an FNM promo.

Good job bringing the type of terrible decisionmaking you see on MTGO to the real world.

On MTGO most people get the promo unless they're already infinite or something, so nobody doesn't get them unless they don't play much.

Yeef

Core stores get 5 promos per week, advanced get 10 and advanced plus get 15.

Odds are, I'll end up with a playset of these and 5 of the path to exiles. I sort of which they had switched the order since July is a 5-Friday month.

I was thinking for a bit on how to give red more unique effects other than just doing what other colors do temporarily, when it occurred to me that in its core, the old coin flipping mechanics were high risk high reward. I feel like red could use more high risk high reward spells without having to be random, such as "betting" that something will happen or super cantrips that help your opponent.

I Bet I'll Hit You - 2R
Sorcery
Choose a target opponent.
At the beginning of the next end step, if you dealt 4 or more damage to that player this turn, deal an additional 3 damage to that player and draw three cards.

I Bet You'll Draw a Lot - 2R
Sorcery
Choose a target opponent.
At the beginning of the next end step of that player, if he or she drew three or more cards since this spell was cast, deal 3 damage to that player and draw three cards.
(OK, so the betting well ended up being drier than I thought)

First Strike Super Cantrip - 1R
Instant
Target attacking creature an opponent controls gets +3/+0 and first strike until end of turn.
Draw two cards.

Help Opposing Creature - R
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature an opponent controls.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2.
When Help Opposing Creature enters the battlefield, draw two cards.

MjFrancis

Two part article concerning some archetypes in Modern Masters 2015 drafts:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/modern-masters-2015-draft-archetypes
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/modern-masters-2015-draft-archetypes-part-2

On the one hand, I want to play "Draft the most expensive card that gets passed to me" for MM2. On the other hand, I can draft something like B/R Bloodthirst that mostly relies on cards no one is playing card board stock market with and potentially win more MM2 packs. I know there are a good number of people signed up for the particular MM2 draft I'm attending that are not ardent players by any means. Though I do know one guy might make it big with Domain since he always forces 4c/5c goodstuff at every draft anyways, lol.

y2dvd

So I'm using this MM15 card generator site and only gave it three whirls so far using the Open a Box option. Just quickly adding up money rares.

First box couldn't have been anymore than $50.
Second box was the nuts and I opened at least $570 in value.
Third box couldn't have been any more than $50.

I don't know how accurate these generators ever are but I'm gonna try it several more times before deciding on buying a box.

http://www.magicdrafting.com/modern-masters-2015-sealed/?format=box

*Edit 1 - Just "opened" 10 boxes and got at least an average value of $124.30.
*Edit 2 - Gonna start over. Think I misclicked something.
*Edit 3 - Definitely misclicked something.
BX1 - $428
BX2 - $198
BX3 - $420
BX4 - $165
BX5 - $126
BX6 - $366
Average - $283.83

Not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom