• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I like Terese Nielsen, I kind of miss the comic book look of yonder years. It's why I still prefer the OG Lightning Bolt and Brainstorm. Especially Serra Angel

Serra Angel is the first card I can remember staring at in a store's case and wishing I had the money to buy it. I didn't fully get the strength of the card beyond knowing that it was good but the art was entrancing. The new art is solid at least.

I came in here to ask about Keranos in EDH but

In the 99? He's okay.

As a commander? Pretty fun! He's a steady drip of value without signaling to the table that you're being degenerate. You can also play him more freely than Jhoira or Nin or maybe Melek because there's nothing immediate or explosive for your opponents to worry about.

red13th

I just noticed Greg Staples did both Serra Angel and its modern upgrade, Baneslayer Angel. He draws some great angels btw.
Funny how Serra Angel was a rare until 10th Edition, then comes Magic 2010 and boom, mythic Baneslayer.

Hackworth

In the 99? He's okay.

As a commander? Pretty fun! He's a steady drip of value without signaling to the table that you're being degenerate. You can also play him more freely than Jhoira or Nin or maybe Melek because there's nothing immediate or explosive for your opponents to worry about.
Hype. I've been thinking of Izzet EDH for a while, but my last attempt was with Old-Mizzet and that got me blown up super fast. 1v1, people fear the Ophidian Eye and that's probably not even the best combo with him lol.

Firemind

Niv-Mizzet is GOAT general. If you want a less degenerate, more political U/R general, try Dracogenius.

For some reason, I can't see Gods as generals. I mean, they're Gods. They're also not really creatures unless you have enough devotion. It's like cheating the system!

I just noticed Greg Staples did both Serra Angel and its modern upgrade, Baneslayer Angel. He draws some great angels btw.
Funny how Serra Angel was a rare until 10th Edition, then comes Magic 2010 and boom, mythic Baneslayer.

Ugh, I wanna do mono white EDH just to do a silly angel tribal deck. But then I'd be playing mono white EDH and I don't know if I want to live that life.

Hype. I've been thinking of Izzet EDH for a while, but my last attempt was with Old-Mizzet and that got me blown up super fast. 1v1, people fear the Ophidian Eye and that's probably not even the best combo with him lol.

If there's a prototypical degenerate Keranos strat then I haven't heard of it yet. He's just a conveyor belt of value.

red13th

Ugh, I wanna do mono white EDH just to do a silly angel tribal deck. But then I'd be playing mono white EDH and I don't know if I want to live that life.

I remember back when they released the first commander decks, the ones with Ghave and Animar and stuff, I found out what EDH was and I wanted to build a BOROS (yes) deck with an equipment theme (because I love SoFI), the general was going to be that RW dude with metalcraft.
Then we actually played with the Commander precons and the games literally never ended, so we gave up on EDH. I can't imagine building a red white commander deck I was crazy. :lol

Firemind

Boros is rad. If I had to build an Angel tribal deck, I'd definitely pick Boros. It has so many awesome angel commanders between Aurelia, Razia, Gisela and Basandra. Much more fun than that overrated and boring Kaalia tbf.

I just realized the interaction between Soulshift and Changeling in MM2. Too bad all the soulshift creatures are awful on their own. Are there any sealed pool generators yet for MM2? I'd like to practice a bit. I heard MM2 will release on MTGO the day before the GP. :lol

As actually good as Boros angels could be I'd be tempted to go Orzhov because of Desolation Angel. I don't always want to destroy all lands but when I do she's my favorite method of getting it done. Selenia's a little underwhelming as a commander though unless you're comboing. It makes me sad.

Firemind

I actually want to build a Boros Angels with a Vengeance EDH deck now. Armageddon, Ravages of War, Ruination, Decree of Annihilation. If we can't have land destruction back, I'll just have to play them in the only format where I can freely blow up all the lands!

ElyrionX

Best Izzet General is Melek, then Keranos.

I built a Melek burn deck recently. It's super casual but fun. Basically what I do is ramp up and cast rituals and cast burn spells which are copied with Melek or the red copy spells. Can also use the mana from copied rituals to cast a huge fireball.

I wish I knew someone that had a good cube

Seems like a p eternally satisfying format

A well crafted cube is very fun. I knew a guy who had a well-made power cube that we got to enjoy a few times. He was fairly well connected for the area but was also a grade-A jerk. It really was like the kid you can't stand who lives on your street that has a Sega.

OnPoint

I remember back when they released the first commander decks, the ones with Ghave and Animar and stuff, I found out what EDH was and I wanted to build a BOROS (yes) deck with an equipment theme (because I love SoFI), the general was going to be that RW dude with metalcraft.
Then we actually played with the Commander precons and the games literally never ended, so we gave up on EDH. I can't imagine building a red white commander deck I was crazy. :lol

I find EDH games and length typically has to do with your play group. I've played with a couple of different bunches, and each one has its own unique pace of play. If games are never ending, it's likely people are playing overly conservative. Which I can understand, but at some point someone's got to do something.

I rectified this nicely with my Izzet deck, which brings me to --

Best Izzet General is Melek, then Keranos.

In the style of Izzet deck I built --

NivMizzetTheFiremind.jpg

-- is king, though to be fair, I rarely even cast him. I draw and draw and draw and search my library, and then I end the game with either a Palinchron-engine something or Twin/Pestermite combo. Usually pretty early. I built the deck in response to how long the games go, and wanted something that could end the game the second people got bored. Works pretty well, but since I don't play with my slow play group anymore, I don't play it all that often.

A well crafted cube is very fun. I knew a guy who had a well-made power cube that we got to enjoy a few times. He was fairly well connected for the area but was also a grade-A jerk. It really was like the kid you can't stand who lives on your street that has a Sega.

That was a fantastic simile :lol:

I'd love to regularly booze draft a cube with a good bunch of dudes; pretty sure that's the optimal way to play magic

I can't really deal with LGS, they're too dank and gross

Niv-Mizzet attracts too much hate for my taste. Granted, my meta is the sea of MTGO randoms, but I like to not project hostility before I even play my first land. Nin really gets the job done for me, and it's really fun to shoot a Stuffy Doll with.

OnPoint

Niv-Mizzet attracts too much hate for my taste. Granted, my meta is the sea of MTGO randoms, but I like to not project hostility before I even play my first land. Nin really gets the job done for me, and it's really fun to shoot a Stuffy Doll with.

One of the main reasons he usually just sits in the Command zone looking pretty when I play that deck.

Firemind

I only play Fork because it looks cool. You can keep your Reverberates, Twincasts, Wild Ricochets, Reiterates and Increasing Vengeances.

Seriously though, I hate spells that copy spells and I hate that it's associated with U/R and I especially hate Hivemind. #banhivemind

I only play Fork because it looks cool. You can keep your Reverberates, Twincasts, Wild Ricochets, Reiterates and Increasing Vengeances.

Seriously though, I hate spells that copy spells and I hate that it's associated with U/R and I especially hate Hivemind. #banhivemind

How can you hate copying shit? It's literally the most fun you can have in Izzet!

Matriox

I particularly love them as assistance to win counter wars, but I don't mind copying someone's Tooth and Nail then countering theirs :)

Firemind

Because it's stupid and broken. Copying creatures is fine as creatures are answerable. Spells however are broken. Try Isochron Scepter or Panoptic Mirror or Hive Mind. Everyone who has seen a Time Stretch get copied knows my feels.

Because it's stupid and broken. Copying creatures is fine as creatures are answerable. Spells however are broken. Try Isochron Scepter or Panoptic Mirror or Hive Mind. Everyone who has seen a Time Stretch get copied knows my feels.

Like so many other cards, they're only as rude as the guy playing them. I won't copy someone else's Time Stretch because I try not to be an asshole. I'd much rather save it for a kicked Rite of Replication.

OnPoint

I tend to stay away from Extra Turn effects. It's almost as bad as land destruction to most people.

red13th

This is how my current top 10 picks looks (11th is Bitterblossom, 12th is Sword of War and Peace):
TceyzmY.png

I don't know why Ugin is so high, I admit I have a thing for Elspeth though (and Equipment in general it looks like :p)

y2dvd

Grand Prix Paris Top 16

Abzan Aggro: 2 (Winner)
Abzan Control: 2
Abzan Morphs: 2
Esper Dragons: 2
Mono Red: 2
GR Devotion: 2
GW Company: 2
4c Company: 1
Mardu Dragons: 1

W/U/x Heroic nowhere to be seen makes me sad.

kirblar

IMO, Heroic doing well is generally good players overperforming with a deck that plays to their strengths. (Same reason Tom Ross does well w/ infect.)

Matriox

Foul-Tongue Invocation does some pretty good work to heroic, as does crux when they try to flood the board to avoid the invocation. Not too shocked to see it place less recently.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You thought your games in EDH took long? We had a guy who played Shahrazad before there was a banlist; sometimes he played Shahrazad in the Shahrazad game.

What is wrong with you people?
Random non-EDH aside:

Shaharazad shouldn't be banned in Vintage. It's dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom