• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarkus

Just played MTG again today for the first time in 17 years. I went 4-1 with my friend's burn deck. I just downloaded Cockatrice to screw around with. I'll play someone who is patient, but you're going to beat me pretty badly.

Matriox

Nissas-Revelation.jpg

Nissa's Revelation, unsure on translation yet.

Nissa's Revelation - 5GG

Rare

Sorcery

Scry 5, then reveal the top card of your library. If it is a creature card, draw cards equal to its power and gain life equal to its toughness.

Yeef

Winnower looks pretty solid.

Nissa's Revelation might end up being good depending on how BFZ turns out. If Eldrazi Ramp ends up working in standard, I could see it as a 1-of.

Nissas-Revelation.jpg

Nissa's Revelation - 5GG

Rare

Sorcery

Scry 5, then reveal the top card of your library. If it is a creature card, draw cards equal to its power and gain life equal to its toughness.
Initially just thought it gained you life, and thought it was odd, wondering if scry 5 was really worth that much. But then I saw the card draw part. Could be pretty good with Eldrazi. Plus, with this and Shamanic Revelation, it looks like they plan on using "revelation" for all big "draw cards, gain life" cards.

8viJnYS.png

"Destroy target Siege Rhino or Courser of Kruphix or Dragonlord or Tasigur."

That's an interesting design. I guess it ties into the Lorwyn elves hating ugliness. Also, despite it supposedly being primary in black now, this is the first black card we've seen with menace printed on it. I know I know, they're probably all unexciting commons and such, but still.

Kieli

Ugh. This game is a money sink. I knew that going in, even with the impulse purchase of a few boosters.

But. I. Can't. Stop.

Halp.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Winnower is good. It takes out pretty much anything relevant and has reasonable evasion.

....I miss Lorwyn, let's have another Lorwyn block.

y2dvd

Ugh. This game is a money sink. I knew that going in, even with the impulse purchase of a few boosters.

But. I. Can't. Stop.

Halp.

Yes. Yes it is a money sink. I suggest playing limited instead of buying packs. It's what I do! Lately I'm just playing Modern because it pays in store credit, then I just save up for whatever cards I need. See if your store does store credit.

I just had some great Origins Test games against a Mono-blue devotion player.

He probably would have won if he never cast Day's Undoing to draw me Silumgar or Ugin or Drown in Sorrow lol

That said, the card is actually pretty good. Especially pre-board before the sweepers come in. But I don't know how great the deck is in post-board games if you have to take out Day's Undoing in some matchups. Post board too many cards your opponents can draw are worth your entire hand.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still find it weird how long it took them to figure out that Race - Class was a good way of organizing creature types.

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170532281]I swear if that Herald makes GB Constellation popular again I'm gonna cry :-(

I can never beat that deck.[/QUOTE]

Back to nature says hi lol. If your up for it tomorrow tell me where you got the images /files for origins and I'll build some test decks. Really wanna try brewing up a quasi D/T style deck with vryn wingmate and archangel of tithes maybe they will spoil a good equipment I can use Relic hunter to find (right now the only thing powerful enough would maybe be godsend). Also a g/w coco deck with Gideon and Nissa in it.

I'm normally pretty decent at guessing which cards will see standard play.

Jhriad

Herald of the Pantheon + Starfield of Nyx + Helm of the Gods looks like a pretty rad start for some enchantment deck. Now, where's my fucking zombie, WOTC? There's still a black Mythic to be revealed and at least one rare but my hopes are probably soon to be crushed.

I don't have any images, I just type the names into a decklist and load from clipboard.

edit: Another day, another fun session testing Origins Standard:

sarkeezyhds4x.png

And this is after missing triggers, not paying life off painlands, constantly insisting that I already played lands or used my planeswalkers and yelling at me when I reminded him to gain life off his whipped creatures.

Last mythic: -

Titan of Erebos 1BBB
Mythic
Creature - Giant
Titan of Erebos is indestructible as long as no opponent controls a creature.
Whenever a creature is removed from the graveyard of an opponent you may discard a card. If you do, return Titan of Erebos from your graveyard to your hand.
5/5

G.ZZZ

Nissas-Revelation.jpg

Nissa's Revelation - 5GG

Rare

Sorcery

This in twelvepost is often a draw 10, gain 10 lol.

But. I. Can't. Stop.

Halp.

I downloaded MTGO a week ago. $400 later...

But I knew getting up to speed in Standard was going to be pricey when starting from scratch. Spending nearly $50 for a bunch of Unhinged full art lands didn't help either.

How much do you guys normally spend when a new set comes out?

G.ZZZ

Shove it up at rare and you could definitely make it a little cheaper -- like, 3RR. Or you could give it more of a drawback, like 1RR, two target creatures each deal their power in damage to you, then fight.

A "target creature must attack or block this turn is able" is a way to do a "fight" effect for extremely cheap, like just one red mana. It doesn't work against mana producers and shit though cause they just tap in resp.

A "target creature must attack or block this turn is able" is a way to do a "fight" effect for extremely cheap, like just one red mana. It doesn't work against mana producers and shit though cause they just tap in resp.

If you wanted to put the creature in a "blind rage," you could print a card that says "Target creature can't activate abilities this turn. Untap it. It attacks this turn if able."

El Topo

But. I. Can't. Stop.

Halp.

Draft. Buy particular cards you want. Don't give in and buy boosters, otherwise you might waste a ton of money in the long run.

I still think opening a few boosters onde in a while its parte of the fun.
But the last boosters I opened had an ugin and a fetch that I immediately traded so it was worth the money

Winnower is good. It takes out pretty much anything relevant and has reasonable evasion.

....I miss Lorwyn, let's have another Lorwyn block.

Tribal blocks suck.

I still think opening a few boosters onde in a while its parte of the fun.
But the last boosters I opened had an ugin and a fetch that I immediately traded so it was worth the money

Cracking boosters is just a snack. Booster boxes are where it's at.

I miss cracking boxes. :(

red13th

Yeah they for some reason decided to spoil a lot of good cube cards this week. I'm not complaining, I'm already to 11 additions from ORI, far more than I expected at first!

OnPoint

I used to buy a couple of boxes but that turned into a money waste quick. Now if me and/or the lady like a set, we split a booster box for fun. Origins, though, is looking like a fat pack set for us. Then it's onto singles.

Jhriad

At or near release the only expenditures I'll make will be all the prereleases which will cost a total of $150 for all 6 and potentially some speculation on preorders if I think I can make good money. Dragons of Tarkir was pretty great for the specs but this set looks mostly dead on that end. The prereleases here are great since if I average just one win I'm already getting all those packs at slightly below booster box prices and if I do any better than that it's gravy. They're also great places to trade into cards you're looking to actually get for the set. Unfortunately, this set isn't really very enticing so I might just end up buying the few singles I want from it instead.

ultron87

I've got a group that does drafts at someone's house so we usually split a box among us for that purpose. And I'll usually do a good number of drafts at stores in the first few weeks of a set's release as well. I've fallen off of playing Standard these days so I'm not sure I'll get much in the way of singles.

For this set specifically I'll also end up doing a bunch of drafts at Gen Con in a few weeks. So I'll probably have opened a ton of Origins packs by the time things are done.

Firemind

someone talk me out of going to gp lille this weekend

there's currently a heatwave in europe and i have no legacy decks

but it's only a four hour drive

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I've already put money down on a full set of Languish at like 3 bucks each. I kind of want 4x of that enchantment reducer. Not sure what else I want immediately, even though I do like a few of the most recent rares.

Jhriad

someone talk me out of going to gp lille this weekend

there's currently a heatwave in europe and i have no legacy decks

but it's only a four hour drive

Why go to a Legacy GP if you don't have a Legacy deck? Just play some Magic locally or online.

Firemind

Why go to a Legacy GP if you don't have a Legacy deck? Just play some Magic locally or online.
maybe i'll play steam vents and no one will notice.

the only duals i have are 4 underground seas, one tropical and one bayou. that's more than i have fetches. :lol

OnPoint

Tragic Arrogance not hitting lands. Unsurprising, but my how times have changed.

Blue/Red thopters gonna be a standard deck? I hope so.

Just put 4 Brainstorms and 4 Bolts in your Standard deck. It'll be fine.

No joke someone in a modern event recently dropped a Sol Ring on me. I explained to him after the match (because it was such a bad deck and he was so new and I didn't want to ruin his fun) that it wasn't Modern legal.

bigkrev

Tragic Arrogance not hitting lands. Unsurprising, but my how times have changed.

Blue/Red thopters gonna be a standard deck? I hope so.

No joke someone in a modern event recently dropped a Sol Ring on me. I explained to him after the match (because it was such a bad deck and he was so new and I didn't want to ruin his fun) that it wasn't Modern legal.

Seems more like a limited deck to me. That said, my eyes do perk at an instant speed draw 2 effect for 3 mana. Gather tells me that there have only been 7 cards that do this in magic's history, and almost all of them have a manditory discard (Catalog, Sultai Charm, Pulse of the Grid. Frantic Search), with only Esper Charm being a downside-free draw 2. I could see this card being constructed playable.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I wonder if any of these artifacts will make it into Modern Affinity. It's the deck I'm building so it seems like good timing.

Also, I had faith in U/R Thopters in limited and the world laughed at me.

OnPoint

Seems more like a limited deck to me. That said, my eyes do perk at an instant speed draw 2 effect for 3 mana. Gather tells me that there have only been 7 cards that do this in magic's history, and almost all of them have a manditory discard (Catalog, Sultai Charm, Pulse of the Grid. Frantic Search), with only Esper Charm being a downside-free draw 2. I could see this card being constructed playable.

It will certainly be a limited deck. I just want someone to make it work in Standard, too. Shrapnel Blast, Ensoul Artifact and Darksteel Citidel are still legal after all...

The instant draw also caught my eye.

ultron87

I wonder if any of these artifacts will make it into Modern Affinity. It's the deck I'm building so it seems like good timing.

On first glance I doubt it. Chief of the Foundry is a less good Master of Etherium. Being colorless is a slight advantage, but producing one colored mana isn't that tough for Affinity. The other creatures are just too expensive for putting one or two 1/1s into play.

Thoughtcast should still do better work than the draw spell most of the time. Instant is nice, but costing 1 mana is way better. Or casting Day's Undoing.

kirblar

5 rare spots left to go, 5 land spots left to go, no reveals yet? Feels like we have a (new?) allied land cycle coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom