• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
we should do a gaf cockatrice tourney for fun
We really should once more people are logging on.
You guys are making me want to sign up for C.trice and play with y'all.

It's pretty great. One thing I like about it is that since it's not automated like MODO it forces you to communicate with your opponent and it feels more like paper magic in that sense. Plus, you can proxy new set cards.

I got Cockatrice and thought about what I might want to put together for a 60 card deck, and smoke started coming out of my ears. I don't think I've built anything other than an EDH deck in 5 years. Those brain muscles are flabby.

G.ZZZ

I rek u all scrubs on Cockatrice whenever!

Kappa

My name is G.ZZZ on there and i'm registered (green user). I play modern or Legacy, mostly brews non-blue decks 'cause fuck blue i played RG with kird apes and channel already during Revised.

G.ZZZ

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170455649]

It's pretty great. One thing I like about it is that since it's not automated like MODO it forces you to communicate with your opponent and it feels more like paper magic in that sense. Plus, you can proxy new set cards.[/QUOTE]

Another thing that i like is that there's no banned restriction so u can try decks with banned and new spoiled cards. Should be a good place for speculators to actually try some new cards (ex. the new Jace). Personally i tested a lot of SotF lists against Legacy gauntlet to see if they were still broken (
they weren't
).
Tested lots of other cards there, like Fastbond (broken as shit), Channel (did you know that Lich's Mirror is a card? well now you know that it would be played in a Channel deck, alongside chancellor of the tangle/annex etc..), Mana Vault (hello T2 AdN), Vise (useless), Tolarian Academy (not that good in artifact decks because of the lack of jewerly, but sadly still broken in most combo decks) etc...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When's the no-banned list Modern tournament?

I'll show up
with Hypergenesis

G.ZZZ

When's the no-banned list Modern tournament?

I'll show up
with Hypergenesis

What about no.

I think we could use Gavin's banned list though from the format which inspired Modern (this was invasion forward and had Desire banned too):

Bridge From Below
Disciple of the Vault
Hypergenesis
Narcomoeba
Sensei’s Divining Top
Skullclamp
Sword of the Meek

No banned card list with Hypergenesis is just ZZZ. Now that i think about it, there are no sacland either so it would be 1 full turn slower than in Gavin's original format but it's still a stupid deck and the best permission you can use there (MM) can't do shit about it.

I'll take elves!
hush.gif

Jhriad

What's the best way to store cards?
Should I just buy some box at Ikea or it is better if buy something else?

BCW Storage Boxes for massive quantities. I'm a big fan of the "Shoe Box" as it's a great size for closet shelves and the cards are vertically oriented rather than lying on their sides. Typically you can find these broken down at your local card shop. They might have them in the back so you might have to ask someone to get them for you. They run about $3 here with different prices based on the size. Check out the sizes and get one that would be appropriate for your preferred storage area. If you are going to be storing cards where they could potentially be exposed to the elements there are some more expensive plastic storage boxes I could link that will be fairly effective at preventing any excess water from getting into the box (so long as we're not talking about actual submersion).

If you're storing foils, particularly any foil that might have value, you should store them double sleeved to prevent any extra moisture from being absorbed and warping the cards. Silicate packets are also a good idea to include in your storage boxes as they'll absorb extra moisture. If you're talking about decks then that's a whole other conversation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What about no.

I think we could use Gavin's banned list though from the format which inspired Modern (this was invasion forward and had Desire banned too):

Bridge From Below
Disciple of the Vault
Hypergenesis
Narcomoeba
Sensei’s Divining Top
Skullclamp
Sword of the Meek

No banned card list with Hypergenesis is just ZZZ. Now that i think about it, there are no sacland either so it would be 1 full turn slower than in Gavin's original format but it's still a stupid deck and the best permission you can use there (MM) can't do shit about it.

I'll take elves!
hush.gif
That format is just Elves with Glimpse of Nature anyways.

Not sure how Thopter Sword is supposed to be MORE broken than that.

G.ZZZ

Someone know why the download cards image on the fly don't work anymore for me on Cockatrice? Is there a trick to make him download card images again.

G.ZZZ

That format is just Elves with Glimpse of Nature anyways.

There are also things like Twelveposts with Chalice, Burn, Aggro elves!, rock decks with cabal therapy etc... Elves! loses cradle , Quirion, Symbiote and Natural Order compared to the legacy list, and in this format Mental Misstep is legal, and more creatures in general means also more removal which is bad for elves! I don't think the deck would steamroll the format anywhere as hard as Hypergenesis would in an hypotetical no-banned card format.

Not sure how Thopter Sword is supposed to be MORE broken than that.

Well if u ask me, Narcomoeba has no reason to be there if Bridge from below isn't in the format, and yeah thopter's sword doesn't seem THAT good compared to things like twelvepost, but i posted it because it is a "recognized" list with some rationale behind it.

Angry Grimace

Narcomoeba and Bridge make no sense to ban. Dread Return is the broken card. Dread Return is on the SUPER BANNED list I think. The only cards I'd want banned in this theoretical format are Dread Return, Hypergenesis and Skullclamp, really.

Hypergenesis is a one-card combo, but it can be stopped relatively easy because Hypergenesis decks literally cannot do anything but cast Hypergenesis. Chalice on 0 is just a scoop.

G.ZZZ

Narcomoeba and Bridge make no sense to ban. Dread Return is the broken card. Dread Return is on the SUPER BANNED list I think. The only cards I'd want banned in this theoretical format are Dread Return, Hypergenesis and Skullclamp, really.

Hypergenesis is a one-card combo, but it can be stopped relatively easy because Hypergenesis decks literally cannot do anything but cast Hypergenesis.

Dread return wasn't banned in that format and no one played dredge because there's no way you get reliably 3 creatures without bridge.

Hypergenesis wins on T2 way too easily and without forces it'd make games just about the RNG imho.

Angry Grimace

Dread return wasn't banned in that format and no one played dredge because there's no way you get reliably 3 creatures without bridge.

Hypergenesis wins on T2 way too easily and without forces it'd make games just about the RNG imho.

Dread Return is overly good in general, I think. The problem is that Bridge doesn't enable anything broken without Dread Return, but Dread Return can enable broken shit on its own.

Matriox

Someone know why the download cards image on the fly don't work anymore for me on Cockatrice? Is there a trick to make him download card images again.

A little while back the fix was unchecking a box about HD card images. I don't remember what it was called specifically or how to get there though :S

I don't have a whole lot of spare time to play, but I'm registered with Matriox.

G.ZZZ

A little while back the fix was unchecking a box about HD card images. I don't remember what it was called specifically or how to get there though :S

I don't have a whole lot of spare time to play, but I'm registered with Matriox.

Yes this actually works but the pictures are terrible. Well, better than nothing i guess.

Yeef

I think it has something to do with the set order. Deckmasters seems to mess things up. Go into Card Database > Edit Sets and disable Deckmasters (DKM) and/or movie it to the bottom. When loading card images, Cockatrice favors the sets nearest the top (personally, I like to just sort the list by most recent set at the top).

y2dvd

Reading this page, I thought they actually printed reasonably costed land destruction in red.

Wait, what? What do those cards have to do with land destruction?

Just the first card. His deck plays things like Wasteland and has ways to bring back lands from the graveyard. His commander nets him a 5/3 token whenever he sacs a land. The new card will allow him to get a crap load of lands into his hands is all. It's pretty fun. Forces me to tutor Life from the Loam to get my lands back.

red13th

I just saw that Coolstuffinc just sent my latest order to AUSTRALIA.
A few months ago they sent me someone else's order in addition to what I had purchased (I returned them and they refunded the shipping cost and gave me store credit), this time it's a bit worse. My Clique is in that package. :(

Yeef

Cockatrice is a program to play Magic online against other people. It's freeware. It's not officially licensed by Wizards of the Coast.

You have to keep track of the game state manually, so it's not really much like MTGO or other online Magic implementations.

Angry Grimace

Its MTGO if you don't like winning anything and don't like any of the advantages of playing online (e.g. rules enforcement). You get free cards to proxy though.

The reason people like Cockatrice is the last one though.

What exactly is Ctrice? Is it like an addon to MTGO?
I would say it's a playing-paper-magic-simulator. You have to do everything manually you would have to do manually on paper. No rule enforcement. At least shuffling happens instantly ;)

Its MTGO if you don't like winning anything and don't like any of the advantages of playing online (e.g. rules enforcement). You get free cards to proxy though.

The reason people like Cockatrice is the last one though.
The reason I like cockatrice is that I am a poor student and can't afford spending money on virtual cards.

Angry Grimace

I would say it's a playing-paper-magic-simulator. You have to do everything manually you would have to do manually on paper. No rule enforcement. At least shuffling happens instantly ;)

The reason I like cockatrice is that I am a poor student and can't afford spending money on virtual cards.

You picked up the wrong hobby, mate.

Jhriad

Cockatrice list (add yourself to the list if you want in on the playgroup!)
  • WWind
  • HeebyGB
  • phazedplasma
  • G.ZZZ

Jhriad

Just installed and I'm fiddling with it now just trying to figure it out. It definitely looks a lot cleaner than Xmage.

EDIT: is that username correct, WWind? Or can I only add a buddy to my buddy list if they're online at the moment?

Firemind

Just the first card. His deck plays things like Wasteland and has ways to bring back lands from the graveyard. His commander nets him a 5/3 token whenever he sacs a land. The new card will allow him to get a crap load of lands into his hands is all. It's pretty fun. Forces me to tutor Life from the Loam to get my lands back.
Which commander spits out 5/3 tokens?

Angry Grimace

Its a nightmare in limited but 6/6 for 5 CMC already exists in Arbor Colossus, which saw no play outside of devotion decks or decks looking to swat Dragons.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170503997]It's just a way to get a ton of testing in easily.[/QUOTE]

I have an alternate theory people like it because free cards

red13th

Why did they have to put such horrible artwork on Evolutionary Leap, I want to add it to my cube but the art is so bad.

Your Fight vs Fight card already exists- I think it's 6 mana though, because it's absurd in limited.

Shove it up at rare and you could definitely make it a little cheaper -- like, 3RR. Or you could give it more of a drawback, like 1RR, two target creatures each deal their power in damage to you, then fight.

This is the kind of stuff they should be doing in Red.

No, playing other people's stuff should not be a red thing.

Angry Grimace

Shove it up at rare and you could definitely make it a little cheaper -- like, 3RR. Or you could give it more of a drawback, like 1RR, two target creatures each deal their power in damage to you, then fight.

No, playing other people's stuff should not be a red thing.

I agree that that effect sounds extremely blue. People just want red to do other stuff for some reason.

A red effect that's in blue, but should be red is Snapcaster Mage, really.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Flashback Ogre
3RR
Creature - Ogre
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield you may cast target red instant or sorcery spell from your graveyard without paying its mana cost
3/3

Could be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom