• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthrall

if you already have a modern affinity shell, legacy affinity is a thing.

or if you happen to have force of wills and true-name nemises lying around...

also burn

sorry. those are the only decks i can think of that don't play duals, or a playset of wastelands, rishadan ports, gaea's cradles or city of traitors. legacy has a fun manabase...

Yeah, the manabases are rough. Currently have 1x Wasteland and 1x Gaea's Cradle, but getting more may be a stretch given their current prices...

Sober

It's really weird to me that we still don't have a date on Duels when the set is just around the corner. In the past the video games always came out before the prerelease; now we don't even have a date other than "July."
I'm wondering this as well. I don't really play paper MTG anymore so I'm curious when this is supposed to come out. And I'm guessing only the Origins set will be available right away to play with either with the constructed decks and booster content now that's Hearthstone-ish? Still chilling on DOTP2014 right now.

Yeef

I'm wondering this as well. I don't really play paper MTG anymore so I'm curious when this is supposed to come out. And I'm guessing only the Origins set will be available right away to play with either with the constructed decks and booster content now that's Hearthstone-ish? Still chilling on DOTP2014 right now.
I'm hoping it gets a surprise release tomorrow, but some people are thinking it'll be next week when Origins comes out in paper. Usually they do it a week or two before the core set pre-release, which gets new people into the game just in time for the pre-release. Not sure what their plan is this time around.

y2dvd

Summing up cards $2+ based on scg prices, you have the best chances opening up money cards with W followed by B. G had the most cards $2+. I think imma go B if it means possibly opening a languish.

Crocodile

Its really weird to me that the MTG panel at SDCC is on the same day as the prerelease.

Oh right I forget that WOTC always has a SDCC panel. Most have them pretty good about revealing the future too. But if they haven't been hyping it this year then it's probably a weak panel. Maybe a From the Vault: Angels and a Commander tease (Teferi was revealed last summer right?)?

Hero

We'll get a couple of spoilers.

I imagine we'll see at least one of the new Commanders for this year's Commander product.

Spoilers for FTV: Angels.

Probably Duel Deck alternate art cards revealed.

Probably one Eldrazi from BFZ spoiled.

Oh right I forget that WOTC always has a SDCC panel. Most have them pretty good about revealing the future too. But if they haven't been hyping it this year then it's probably a weak panel. Maybe a From the Vault: Angels and a Commander tease (Teferi was revealed last summer right?)?

Last year was very good: theme reveal and moderately detailed breakdown of the factions in Khans, a few announcements, plus actual spoilers for Khans, From the Vault, and Commander. Sounds like the interesting info is gonna be sparse this time around.

OnPoint

We'll get a couple of spoilers.

I imagine we'll see at least one of the new Commanders for this year's Commander product.

Spoilers for FTV: Angels.

Probably Duel Deck alternate art cards revealed.

Probably one Eldrazi from BFZ spoiled.

Collected Company? Now that I'm finally investing in it, they will probably reprint it.

Kieli

Skymark Roc: When this creature attacks, return defending player's creature with toughness >= 2 to hand.

Does this ability resolve before attack, or after attack?

Skymark Roc: When this creature attacks, return defending player's creature with toughness >= 2 to hand.

Does this ability resolve before attack, or after attack?

It happens when you declare it as an attacker, so the ability will trigger after you tap the creature to attack and before the defending player declares blockers.

Yeef

Last year was very good: theme reveal and moderately detailed breakdown of the factions in Khans, a few announcements, plus actual spoilers for Khans, From the Vault, and Commander. Sounds like the interesting info is gonna be sparse this time around.
SDCC is earlier this year, which is the cause of the overlap. That's probably why they're not publicizing the panel nearly as much as in previous years. They want people going to the prereleases, not staying home to get info from the panel.

Collected Company? Now that I'm finally investing in it, they will probably reprint it.

Duel Decks: Zendikar vs Eldrazi? With a R/G Aggro deck with CoCo vs Eldrazi from BFZ/RotE?

They've done themed DD at the start of a block(Heroes vs Monsters, Speed Vs. Cunning), but IIRC most of the cards in there were Standard Legal. I don't see any way to have an Eldrazi Duel Deck without either confirming multiple cards before the set launches.

OnPoint

Duel Decks: Zendikar vs Eldrazi? With a R/G Aggro deck with CoCo vs Eldrazi from BFZ/RotE?

They've done themed DD at the start of a block(Heroes vs Monsters, Speed Vs. Cunning), but IIRC most of the cards in there were Standard Legal. I don't see any way to have an Eldrazi Duel Deck without either confirming multiple cards before the set launches.

I guess CoCo makes more sense in a Clash Pack and not a Duel Decks set. But if the Zendikar side of the Duel Decks ends up Elf-themed all bets are off. However, the Eldrazi side could see a reprinting of See the Unwritten as well. Either works for me, honestly.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Showing an actual card at SDCC is actually uncommon. You'll see some world building stuff and story stuff that tells you in vague terms what it will be like.

We got a card at SDCC last year because Zurgo was in the duel deck and they wanted to show off Wedges.

Jhriad

Summing up cards $2+ based on scg prices, you have the best chances opening up money cards with W followed by B. G had the most cards $2+. I think imma go B if it means possibly opening a languish.

At a glance, if the planeswalkers are the only possible promo mythics in the seven card pack then W isn't the top value color. That eliminates Angel of Tithes & Starfield of Nyx and means that Blue is far as hell behind the other colors where it goes something like Green, Black, Red, White, and way behind the rest is Blue. Those top four are all relatively close though. Unless Sword of the Animist can be a Green promo in which case Green has a more comfortable lead.

What are the reprintable elf deck cards for Zendikar? Wirewood Symbiote is too busted.

I could see Nettle Sentinel being fine with Elvish Mystic rotating out.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171263287]What are the reprintable elf deck cards for Zendikar? Wirewood Symbiote is too busted.

I could see Nettle Sentinel being fine with Elvish Mystic rotating out.[/QUOTE]

Definitely can agree. It requires you to have minimum 3 elves out to go off, it can't start insane ramp until turn 3( assuming Forest, elf T1; Forest,elf, elf T2; Forest, elf, Nettle Sentinel).

Is anyone who plays elves kind of excited for the Dwyven's Elite? I mean, I know it's not great, but it with Nettle sentinel gets you a 2/2 and a 1/1, effectively a 2 for one Nettle sentinel's tapping wise.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Caustic Caterpillar was a step n the right direction, but when will wizards realise the untapped market of people who want to play an insect tribal deck

Edit: the fuck is happening

Showing an actual card at SDCC is actually uncommon.

Last year we got a ton of mechanical detail -- the returning mechanic, block structure, and factions, and one card for Khans; two cards (including the gimmick for the year) from Commander; and a bunch of reprint spoils for FtV: Annihilation. If they roll back to just having a waste-of-time panel where they gesture vaguely at the styleguide it would be pretty unfortunate.

y2dvd

At a glance, if the planeswalkers are the only possible promo mythics in the seven card pack then W isn't the top value color. That eliminates Angel of Tithes & Starfield of Nyx and means that Blue is far as hell behind the other colors where it goes something like Green, Black, Red, White, and way behind the rest is Blue. Those top four are all relatively close though. Unless Sword of the Animist can be a Green promo in which case Green has a more comfortable lead.

Yeah I didn't know where to add Swords or artifacts. If it's under G, then G is the safest pick to open value. I never been a G player though haha.

Matriox

Really bummed it's not coming to Android. I've got my iPad to download it on and eventually consoles, but I fell in love with being able to play magic at work with Duels 2015. Sure the model was abysmal but it gave me something to do during low call volume time. Also, Wtf no unified system...

But rather than roots, she pulled up what felt like an entire tree. Though as it emerged, she realized it wasn’t a tree at all, it was the land itself.

It rose up in a wave, growing out of the muck and taking on form. It was as tall as a baloth. It charged at the vampires, teeth gnashing and legs flailing.

Magic Origins: Tarmogoyf

edit: I assumed with the rest of us that Lorwyn is what drove Nissa loony, but I guess she was always like that. Lorwyn warned her not to try her luck with the Eldrazi but she went back and fucked up anyway.

Jhriad

Still not totally decided but I think I'm going to go ahead and sign up for all the prereleases at my LGS. I might just sign up for the friday night one instead since I'm not seeing a ton of Pucatrade potential outside of the walkers but these stupid Magic podcasts are propping up my interest enough that I might go whole hog. Ugh... I can't decide!

bigkrev

Stores really need to start doing what movie theaters started doing a couple of years ago, and move the "Midnight" events to like 8 or 9 PM. I can handle an event ending at 1 AM, but the last midnight pre-release I did didn't hand out prizes till 5:30 AM. I was ready to murder people.

Nissa's Origin

Really weird how they gave Dwynen a legendary card when she barely appears in the story. In fact, Nissa only spends a couple of minutes in Lorwyn before it turns into Shadowmoor, and she leaves the plane before it can actually engulf her.

Otherwise, I liked the story well enough. It's interesting that apparently the planes themselves are aware of each other, with Shadowmoor even knowing about the Eldrazi.

Joe Molotov

Stores really need to start doing what movie theaters started doing a couple of years ago, and move the "Midnight" events to like 8 or 9 PM. I can handle an event ending at 1 AM, but the last midnight pre-release I did didn't hand out prizes till 5:30 AM. I was ready to murder people.

Wizards would have to be the ones to allow this, but yeah, I feel you. My LGS's DTK midnight prerelease went until 7:00am.

ultron87

I do kind of enjoy tired middle of the night Magic. "Ehhhh this combat will probably work out" *shoves all creatures forward*

People who go to midnight prereleases are nuts. I like to wake up, have breakfast, and saunter over to the LGS for a 9AM or noon prerelease. I got better things to do than ruin a good nights sleep playing sealed deck against a combination of noobs and tryhards. :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171263287]What are the reprintable elf deck cards for Zendikar? Wirewood Symbiote is too busted.[/QUOTE]

How about Elvish Mystic

Martheron

I've got a question. I mostly play modern because I love the idea of a non-rotating format and I don't really have the money for legacy or vintage (and no one in the area i'm in plays either). Before the price boom of Grixis Delver i bought in and it's really not my style. What's a good way to sell a mostly completed deck? I have a few of the bigger items in it (complete set of snaps, KTK fetches, shocks, and so on). I'm really wanting to take the money from selling the deck and getting a card I know I'll use, the Goyf. any tips? It doesn't seem like Ebay would be a good place to sell a whole deck.

People who go to midnight prereleases are nuts

I may be nuts but the only prereleases I ever do are midnight ones. It usually weeds out a lot of the little kids and drunks and lets you play against tired people who should reevaluate their life priorities. It's really the best.

I do kind of enjoy tired middle of the night Magic. "Ehhhh this combat will probably work out" *shoves all creatures forward*

The real Dark Souls Magic starts here.

Also this. 4 AM slap fights can get pretty fun.

Yeef

Midnight prereleases are the best. Nothing like going home just as the sun is rising.

I would love it if we were allowed to start at 9 or 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom