• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of discarding to hand size, it infuriates me that people don't do it when they draft reanimator. I know it's not super intuitive to everyone, but come on :(

I wanna see the busted stuff

Firemind

i guess it happened on turn three. whatever. i'm already salty and starting a new cube draft.

edit:
Yfae91s.png

blue never again

So your opponent did nothing until turn 5, where he had to spend 8 life and 2 cards to cast a card that takes multiple turns to win with, and you lost.

Maybe you should have mulliganed? :p

Firemind

he wrathed my entire board man

not everyone plays vindicates

not even true-name nemesis would have lived

also technically it's turn four

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Chandra's supposed to be in, actually, they said Liliana's the only Origins PW who doesn't show up somewhere in BFZ block's story.

Gonna need to see the receipts. (Zendikar, Worldwake and Rise of the Eldrazi are all part of BFZ blocks story, of course)

Jhriad

Anyone want to buy or trade for a promo Liliana, Heretical Healer? I don't mind trading down. Just looking to get rid of one but I'd rather not have to deal with eBay if I don't have to. Pucatrade still has it listed at an astronomical price so no one is biting there.

Anyone want to buy or trade for a promo Liliana, Heretical Healer? I don't mind trading down. Just looking to get rid of one but I'd rather not have to deal with eBay if I don't have to. Pucatrade still has it listed at an astronomical price so no one is biting there.

Here's my deckbox if you see some stuff. I don't think the card's super impressive but I want it for my Karla Ortiz collection :3

https://deckbox.org/sets/995604

Tonight I played with some janky Affinity deck that I threw together because I don't have all of the pieces to make the Tier 1 Affinity. (lack Mox Opals, Nexus lands, and Ravagers)

Even janky Affinity is bad ass! Even with Ensoul Artifact turning Ornithopters and Darksteel Citadel into 5/5 for 1U was fun and worked well.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";172026404]Here's my deckbox if you see some stuff. I don't think the card's super impressive but I want it for my Karla Ortiz collection :3

https://deckbox.org/sets/995604[/QUOTE]

Are you willing to trade any of your Shocklands or Fetches for it? I'm more interested in the Shocks since that's what I would be trading into on Pucatrade anyway. I don't actually own a single copy of Abrupt Decay either but picking that up seems weird when I'm not ever going to be interested in picking up a playset of Tarmogoyf because of it's ridiculous price.

I love the BW deck in Origins. So much raw power mixed with solid synergy.

sarkeezy4rr9b.png

Are you willing to trade any of your Shocklands or Fetches for it? I'm more interested in the Shocks since that's what I would be trading into on Pucatrade anyway. I don't actually own a single copy of Abrupt Decay either but picking that up seems weird when I'm not ever going to be interested in picking up a playset of Tarmogoyf because of it's ridiculous price.

Do you have a tradelist? I hate Modern so I don't really care about my shocks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They really should have put the word "then" in between Chandra FOK's ping and transform clause. There are a ton of people who don't seem to understand the flip and the ping are one ability.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";172031939]I love the BW deck in Origins. So much raw power mixed with solid synergy.

sarkeezy4rr9b.png

Do you have a tradelist? I hate Modern so I don't really care about my shocks.[/QUOTE]

I saw someone rip a sweet elves sealed at release. It's going to be weird seeing tribal reappear in draft.

Though I did see someone win with a nearly entirely sliver draft deck once in and it was goddamn amazing to watch.

I wonder, starting with Battle of Zendikar, might it be a good idea to create OTs for each block?
* Wizards itself seems to be ramping up promotion of each block with the switch to the new system.
* There will be a greater focus on storytelling.
* As eh as it is right now, we can just point to Magic Duels as a free way to learn the game.
* We'll be sure to get more people playing the game with topics in OT.

The way I imagine it working is that we create a topic the day before the start of the first official spoiler week, and in the OP, first give a lot of information about the game itself and how to start, and then include some background info about the block. After the set is fully spoiled, activity will flow back to the community thread, then return to the OT for the next set in the block.

I'd be willing to make the OP if so.

Angry Grimace

How come no one ever talks in mtgo games =/?

People talk in MTGO games all the time.

Such as calling you a "lucksack" or "fuk u azzhole" etc.

I wonder, starting with Battle of Zendikar, might it be a good idea to create OTs for each block?
* Wizards itself seems to be ramping up promotion of each block with the switch to the new system.
* There will be a greater focus on storytelling.
* As eh as it is right now, we can just point to Magic Duels as a free way to learn the game.
* We'll be sure to get more people playing the game with topics in OT.

The way I imagine it working is that we create a topic the day before the start of the first official spoiler week, and in the OP, first give a lot of information about the game itself and how to start, and then include some background info about the block. After the set is fully spoiled, activity will flow back to the community thread, then return to the OT for the next set in the block.

I'd be willing to make the OP if so.

The moderators would just move it to Community anyways because its just an offshoot of the same thread.

Purdy

People talk in MTGO games all the time.

Such as calling you a "lucksack" or "fuk u azzhole" etc.

The moderators would just move it to Community anyways because its just an offshoot of the same thread.

Haha :(

Oh well I'm pretty pumped after that, didn't think there was any reward so 5x5 card boosters was nice

Jhriad

It'd be nice if they'd allow a Community thread like this one to temporarily move back to the other side when a new product came out. Change the thread name to indicate the new release and at least get a few more eyeballs on the thread then move it back to Community after a week or two. It's a little additional maintenance but I have a hard time believing that the small number of folks that post here are the only Magic players on GAF and being stuck in Community basically makes the "community" growth for these threads nonexistent.

duxstar

The amount of mana screw/flood i've experienced in the last few weeks is highly frustrating. At least they are trying to do something about it, but it seems half the magic I play comes down to who misses land drops, or just draws all of their lands and no action. I might start automatically mulliganing 2 land hands even though I was always told statistically you should keep.

Seriously though when your opponent hits their 5th land drop to play storm breath dragon, and your stuck on 2, you really start to hate this game.

As an aside, how strong do you think Elves will be in the next month or two? I really want to do my first Gameday for Origins next month but I'd like to show up with a relatively competitive deck.
It's hard to say. The midrange matchup can be slightly awkward and it's hard to beat the Rhino + Languish combo. It's really strong against the extreme matchups in Aggro and Control, but it really depends on how the format shapes up and a lot of that will be determined by the Pro Tour.

• Personally, I expect UB control to overtake Esper Dragons in order to play Languish, which is good for Elves.
  • Abzan Aggro and Devotion get a bit weaker with Origins, which is also good for Elves.
  • Abzan Control gets a lot stronger with Origins, which is bad for Elves.
  • There's also a bunch of wacky new decks like Abzan Constellation that completely wreck Elves if they take off, but it remains to be seen.

So far I don't have any reason to believe that Abzan control isn't the best deck in the format.

Angry Grimace

Elves is just a fun FNM deck. Don't take it to Grand Prix Whatever

2-1 in Cube with mono-red. I managed to beat Baneslayer Angel with a Sword on it (thanks to Kargan Dragonlord not actually being a Dragon), and I managed to beat Umezawa's Jitte (thanks to Phyrexian Revoker and Sulfuric Vortex), but I couldn't beat the Tinker deck with Spellskite, Batterskull, and Blightsteel Colossus. :(

Firemind

2-1 in Cube with mono-red. I managed to beat Baneslayer Angel with a Sword on it (thanks to Kargan Dragonlord not actually being a Dragon), and I managed to beat Umezawa's Jitte (thanks to Phyrexian Revoker and Sulfuric Vortex), but I couldn't beat the Tinker deck with Spellskite, Batterskull, and Blightsteel Colossus. :(
Baneslayer, Batterskull and Jitte are actually rather beatable with a large enough burn suite. Unfortunately, sometimes it just doesn't come together because someone else is taking the Bolt, Chain Lightning etc. I try to not draft creature-heavy mono red if I can. Just last night, I got randomly hosed by Moat. Feels bad man. On the other hand, I won against the Eureka deck who vomitted his hand which included a Blightsteel into play. I love Fireblast. Might be my favourite cube card. Move over, JTMS.

I won one of my first FNM matches simalarly. Opponent tried to chump block a fully leveled Dragonlord with a Baneslayer. The dragon is just a steed, it's the dude up top you have to worry about!

y2dvd

Blah. Played WNM and I know it's a casual environment, so I let my opponent take back a move that cost me the match. I think imma be that ass next time and be more strict if it's not an innocent mistake. I'm usually hard on my own mistakes anyways.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Blah. Played WNM and I know it's a casual environment, so I let my opponent take back a move that cost me the match. I think imma be that ass next time and be more strict if it's not an innocent mistake. I'm usually hard on my own mistakes anyways.

I'm saying, unless it's a little kid, no goddamn take backsies. I'll be super nice about it, but firm. Too many cheats out there. I saw a dude who tried to pretend he was a new player. Dude had two trade binders. Since then, no mercy, no surrender. Unless you're a kid.

Wulfric

I'm saying, unless it's a little kid, no goddamn take backsies. I'll be super nice about it, but firm. Too many cheats out there. I saw a dude who tried to pretend he was a new player. Dude had two trade binders. Since then, no mercy, no surrender. Unless you're a kid.
Kids are the main ones cheating. I could handle chess and RPGs at their age, no excuses.

Baneslayer, Batterskull and Jitte are actually rather beatable with a large enough burn suite. Unfortunately, sometimes it just doesn't come together because someone else is taking the Bolt, Chain Lightning etc. I try to not draft creature-heavy mono red if I can. Just last night, I got randomly hosed by Moat. Feels bad man. On the other hand, I won against the Eureka deck who vomitted his hand which included a Blightsteel into play. I love Fireblast. Might be my favourite cube card. Move over, JTMS.

Yeah, my deck was only a B+ red deck, and I actually had outs in the match that I lost. I flooded suuuuper badly; ended up coming one damage short on the critical turn even after getting hit twice by the Batterskull. Batterskull actually wasn't what killed me; it was Spellskite.

I beat Moat too :). The Jitte guy had one. It doesn't stop Vortex.

What do you think about Outpost Siege in Mono-red? I was really happy with it, but this is my first time playing with it, so maybe it isn't always as good as it was for me today.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Kids are the main ones cheating. I could handle chess and RPGs at their age, no excuses.

Yeah, but I just feel the full dorkiness of my hobby trying trying to get real with a kid over a game. "Nah. You already skipped your draw step, hell nah you can't draw during your second main. Sucks to be you. Tell your moms I said hi, bitch."

I can't. I believe the children are our future, ya know?

Firemind

What do you think about Outpost Siege in Mono-red? I was really happy with it, but this is my first time playing with it, so maybe it isn't always as good as it was for me today.
It's definitely playable, though I never know when the right time is to play it. In the early to midgame, you want to go aggro and finish it off quickly, but when you're losing, the extra one or two cards likely don't matter. In the holiday cube, more often than not, when you lose, you lose quickly. So it more or less depends on the matchup, where the loss of tempo isn't catastrophic. There were times when the right play is to drop it as quickly as possible and just grind out the game, as opposed to running out of gas and go too far behind for it to stay relevant. In one game, I thought I had him by choosing Dragons and then just chumping his sworded up creatures. Turns out white has better removal than black in cube.

I don't think the majority of people outside of Jeff Hoogland on reddit are that great at understanding magic, but goddamn do they come up with some good deck names.

Atarka Red post-Origins? Green Goblins.

Blew my mind. Between that and CoCo Krispies they're unstoppable.

Bandini

I'm really liking playing BUG Fish in Vintage. All of the creatures are strangely satisfying. It's tough playing against Oath and combo decks though. But that might just be my inexperience. LSV, if you're reading this, please make a video, thanks.

Firemind

bwhahahaha, finally. i've somehow managed to beat reanimator with a bit of luck.

fuck off with your turn three sphinx of the steel wind.

and fuck off, spell pierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom