• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

Has there ever been a card that turns off a card's triggered abilities?

Like:

Solitary Confinement 2W
Enchantment

Enchant nonland permanent.

Enchanted permanent can't attack or block. Abilities of enchanted permanent can't trigger.

Was just thinking of a way to turn off the Sentinel without killing it.

Solitary Confinement is a card, I'm old enough to remember Extended CAL

Has there ever been a card that turns off a card's triggered abilities?

Like:

Solitary Confinement 2W
Enchantment

Enchant nonland permanent.

Enchanted permanent can't attack or block. Abilities of enchanted permanent can't trigger.

Was just thinking of a way to turn off the Sentinel without killing it.

Might as well just use Banishing Light.

ultron87

I know there is stuff that accomplishes that. Was mostly just curious if there was a specific version of the text like there is for activated abilities on Arrest. (Torpor Orb is close, but not quite.) Here, I'll do everyone's favorite thing and give it to Red.

I'm Not Touching You 1R
Enchantment

Triggered abilities of creatures can't trigger.
Hey! Stop that! I said stop that!

Jhriad

God's Beard!";171870947][URL="https://deckbox.org/sets/995603 said:
Somebody trade with me ^_^[/URL]

Is your wishlist up to date? If it is it's unfortunate that I've been trading like mad in the past week as I had several cards on there.

Jhriad

Either SCG or a mtgfinance group bought them all. Its not rocket surgery to figure out where price spikes come from.

Sure, I just wasn't sure if there was a Modern GP/SCG IQ that I didn't know about that was increasing organic demand to a large degree or if it was the usual players when it comes to spikes. With the prereleases taking my attention I didn't know if Living End had put up some good results this past weekend or something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sure, I just wasn't sure if there was a Modern GP/SCG IQ that I didn't know about that was increasing organic demand to a large degree or if it was the usual players when it comes to spikes. With the prereleases taking my attention I didn't know if Living End had put up some good results this past weekend or something.

Naw, just people buying random shit from decks that see play.

Firemind

@GB: halp

yLRSjT0.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lol Tooth and Nail'd Progenitus and Angel of Serenity (both in hand) twice in a single match
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

In fairness, my opponent Reanimated Iona on T2 G1 so its not like he didn't do anything broken.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171893894]...Chandra's Phoenix?

Man, you're really short on the core cards, huh?[/QUOTE]

He must have left that in there on accident

Firemind

Turn 2: Opponent casts Elesh Norn.
Sure. I can beat that if I get to play my fourth land so I can Entomb, Corpse Dance Emrakul.
Turn 3: Opponent casts Armageddon.
Ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Angry Grimace

Too bad about dying to that Baneslayer Angel first strike. I think he would have been at negative 100 or something.

u4dV9Qz.jpg

(He would have been at negative 132, I think)

LOL Cheon told me to shut up on his stream <3

Poor Cheon. Loves to cube, always drafts B+ decks and lets A to A+ decks slide by him every time. :)

I still love to watch his stream and yell at him as he passes top-tier cards for mid-level card draw effects and mana rocks. No, Paul, an Izzet Signet is not "basically a Mox."

Angry Grimace

Okay this time my cube deck is a legit C- I think. The only way I can really win is Channel-Blightsteel or turning men sideways. I tried to do a similar deck to last time, but never really got the guys to make it work or the fast mana I was working with in the last draft.

I guess its not too shabby though. 6 drafts off of one entry by just 2-1ing all of them. *shrug*

Firemind

Meanwhile in the single-elimination queues, you have to at least reach the final to go even.

There's too much lucksacking in powered cube, moreso than normal cubing. I mean is it too hard to ask for Show and Tell and Emrakul in the first ten cards? I'd even settle for Griselbrand! Actually, grizzy seems better with so many answers available. Council's Judgment is like a strictly superior O-Ring in 1v1.

Meanwhile in the single-elimination queues, you have to at least reach the final to go even.

There's too much lucksacking in powered cube, moreso than normal cubing. I mean is it too hard to ask for Show and Tell and Emrakul in the first ten cards? I'd even settle for Griselbrand! Actually, grizzy seems better with so many answers available. Council's Judgment is like a strictly superior O-Ring in 1v1.

Swiss queues, man. I know, I know. The competition isn't as strong. But the payouts are waaay better.

Exokell

Banned

I have such bad luck, cast show and tell emrakul, opponent drops sheoldred on both matches. Fuck this shit.

Angry Grimace

Sometimes your opponent just has Sol Ring.

Or you cast Eureka and they have an in impossibly high curve hand of spells they'd never, ever be able to cast in any way other than you happen to have cast Eureka. This just happened to me. I don't even

Wulfric

Well, I just caved into the the peer pressure from my LGS and this thread and bought the MTGO Starter Kit. I'm Wulfric19 on there, feel free to add me.

Is there anywhere to look at the card list for Holiday Cube? I have 20 New Player Points and 5 event tickets and hope that's enough for the cube.

Angry Grimace

y2dvd

Silly question but how do yall organize yall's trade binders? Do you find one way is more effective at succeeding in trades than the others? I have one binder - standard in front, promo/land/alt art middle, everything else back. And I try to section each one by colors instead of by set. I also keep a fat pack box full of bulk rares and foils.

I've seen multiple ways of organization. Some by set. Some by card value. Wonder what works best.

Do you find one way is more effective at succeeding in trades than the others?

People don't try to screw you over as much when you put Revised duals on the first page. It does intimidate some Standard players into thinking they don't have anything worth looking at, though.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171929579]People don't try to screw you over as much when you put Revised duals on the first page. It does intimidate some Standard players into thinking they don't have anything worth looking at, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but savvy players will know you're gullible enough to buy into Legacy

Yeah but savvy players will know you're gullible enough to buy into Legacy

Nah I just trade cards towards duals when I can because they're more stable than standard/modern/edh cards. I know bayous are probably not gonna slip under a hundred bucks, but Splinter Twin is a little suspicious.

I used to have a functioning Miracles deck but I got rid of most of it and all my Reanimator cards.

Firemind

Swiss queues, man. I know, I know. The competition isn't as strong. But the payouts are waaay better.
bububut... the 48 phantom points first prize!

now I know why blue sucks in this rendition of holiday cube. they cut most of the permission spells (forbid, miscalculation, condescend, pact of negation) and added naff like mental misstep and spell pierce. not sure how i feel about this.

edit: apparently condescend and pact were part of the regular legacy cube. still, forbid ;-;

Gideon's Uncharted Realms story and the cards implied in it are rather interesting.

Link. Summary is that it turns out Gideon has constantly been jumping between Zendikar and Ravnica, defending people on both planes because he can't bring himself to focus on just one. Lately, he's been going days without sleep, constantly fighting on both planes. Zendikar is getting its shit wrecked, with entire continents having already been destroyed. At the end of the story, Gideon discovers that there is something about the leylines formed by the hedrons that may have a connection to the Eldrazi; this small bit of hope is good enough for him, so he goes to Ravnica to get Jace to solve the mystery for him, and collapses of exhaustion.

EDIT: Oh, and 1/3 of the Shattergang Brothers is dead, for those who care about Commander-only characters.

Firemind

Spell Pierce is probably the best piece of permission in the cube right now (behind Force of Will I suppose).
I disagree. In Modern, Dispel is the better maindeck card. In Legacy, the main incentive to play Spell Pierce is to not lose to the combo decks. Storm in cube has to catch lightning in a bottle, both in the draft and the matches, to actually function in a reasonable time frame, especially on MTGO where you have to win both games to win the match. I know because I drafted storm quite frequently (it's so much fun!) and maybe went 3-0 once. Reanimate doesn't really have to t2 to win. Tinker, I'd rather not play it if my opponent has blue mana open. Sneak Attack, likewise. Can't counter Kiki-Jiki shenanigans. Spell Pierce is too narrow and does practically nothing against some decks. I'd so much rather have Negate.

Angry Grimace

GB, I'm not seeing how you actually win with that Elf deck without a mass pump effect or Obelisk or something.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171987614]I attack sometimes[/QUOTE]

How do you attack through basically anything on their side with no removal?

Firemind

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Turn 1: Thoughtseize
Opponent has zero lands, Channel and Ugin. I let him discard Channel.
Turn 2: Opponent discards Ulamog.
Turn 3: Opponent does nothing.
Turn 4: Opponent plays land, Channel, Ugin.

fucking mtgo, people.

edit: this never would have happened if there were any fucking counterspells in the cube.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Turn 1: Thoughtseize
Opponent has zero lands, Channel and Ugin. I let him discard Channel.
Turn 2: Opponent discards Ulamog.
Turn 3: Opponent does nothing.
Turn 4: Opponent plays land, Channel, Ugin.

fucking mtgo, people.

How did he discard Ulamog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom